As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Replacing my MacBook Pro hard drive. (NEW QUESTION POST #10)

EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles.Portland, ORRegistered User regular
So, I'm picking up a 13" MacBook Pro on Friday, but I don't think the 250gig HD is going to cut it. So, I plan on replacing it.

Will any of these work in this particular model? I noticed that 7200RPM isn't even an option on the 13" models and I want to make sure it'll support the speed and the size of the drive.

Also, I know I can look at the NewEgg ratings, but can any recommend a particular brand?

Thanks!

Esh on

• meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yes buy any 2.5" drive, they will all work.

The reason that 7200RPM drives aren't usually offered on laptops is the simple fact that they draw more power than a 5400RPM drive. If you're willing to sacrifice a little bit of battery life for a slightly faster drive, the choice is yours. This isn't a technical limitation though, just a choice by Apple to optimize battery life.

People seem to like Seagate's, I've had good experiences with Hitachi as well. Stick with the big 3 (Western Digital being the third) and I think you'll be fine.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    meatflower wrote: »
    Yes buy any 2.5" drive, they will all work.

The reason that 7200RPM drives aren't usually offered on laptops is the simple fact that they draw more power than a 5400RPM drive. If you're willing to sacrifice a little bit of battery life for a slightly faster drive, the choice is yours. This isn't a technical limitation though, just a choice by Apple to optimize battery life.

People seem to like Seagate's, I've had good experiences with Hitachi as well. Stick with the big 3 (Western Digital being the third) and I think you'll be fine.

Do you think the battery life vs. speed increase is worth it?

Esh on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This article breaks down the performance differences with some nice bar graphs:

http://www.barefeats.com/5472.html

Here's a chart I found in some random white paper from Seagate on power consumption...

chart.png

Looks like a ~1/10 of a watt difference in most cases, so you probably wouldn't even notice the difference on that end. We're talking maybe 10 minutes less of battery life, something trivial like that.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited August 2010
    I ended up grabbing one of the Hitachi Travelstar 500gb 7200rpm drives for $75 off of Amazon. I almost bought a Seagate XT Momentum, but I'd rather wait till the tech is a little more polished.

Esh on
  • floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just to echo other responses and build your confidence:

Yeah, you can basically put any 2.5" drive in there. I have an aluminum unibody Macbook (basically a Macbook Pro 13", before they renamed it), and I've had the stock 160gb drive in there, a 320gb 5400rpm drive in there, and now a 500gb 7200rpm drive. The difference in battery life is negligible, and my Macbook was quoted at 5 hours... not 10 hours like yours. The difference in performance, however, was immediately noticeable. Boot times were quicker... and they were quick to begin with.

floobie on
  • TrenchMouthTrenchMouth I went nuts.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I went with this drive in my Mac and it has been great so far. For common applications that I use I notice a pretty significant drop in load time.

TrenchMouth on
    Someone else is gonna come and clean it up.
    Someone always does.

Tumblr
    edited August 2010
    I went with this drive in my Mac and it has been great so far. For common applications that I use I notice a pretty significant drop in load time.

I thought about it, but I'm a little wary of brand new tech. My next jump will probably be straight to SSD.

Esh on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's not new tech. Hybrid drives were around about 3-4years ago but back then the price:performance ratio just wasn't there. With SSDs, the solid state portion of the drive has gotten a lot better.

SSDs will eventually catch up in capacity but expect to pay for it (~$2/GB or more)

Either way you'll enjoy what you've purchased.

Mugsley on
    edited August 2010
    Mugsley wrote: »
    That's not new tech. Hybrid drives were around about 3-4years ago but back then the price:performance ratio just wasn't there. With SSDs, the solid state portion of the drive has gotten a lot better.

SSDs will eventually catch up in capacity but expect to pay for it (~$2/GB or more)

Either way you'll enjoy what you've purchased.

Strange. Maybe the article I read about them was just saying "Finally affordable" or something. I'm sure the 7200rpm Hitachi will be fine.

Another question though...

I'm about to push the button on upping the RAM to 8gb. I'm looking at this GSkill RAM which is 1333 as opposed to the 1066 that the Macs are coming with right now. Will my MacBook Pro take advantage of the extra speed, or should I just get the 1066 and save myself $5?

Esh on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd doubt you'll see the difference between the two speeds.

I'm still learning the way Mac works, but can it use all of 8GB? I thought OSX was a 32-bit OS (if that's the case, any RAM above 4GB is completely useless).

Mugsley on
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    All current macs (minus the original Mac Book Pro and first gen Mac Mini intel) are 64 bit processors running 32/64 bit OSX... the other exception is current XServers which boots into pure 64 bit mode by default.

They can recognize and use memory above 4gb. I am booting my mac pro in normal mode (32bit/64bit mode) and I have 12gb being fully used right now (4 of which are assigned to a windows xp vm and the rest encoding movies and running logic at the same time)

The only time I ever boot into full on 64bit mode (which is an option and not really talked about - xserves ONLY boot into this mode) is when mixing large things in Logic with lots of virtual instruments and ONLY 64 bit plugins (the 32bit to 64 bit bridge in Logic isn't 100%)

useless4 on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Unless the motherboard and CPU both support the higher clock rate on the RAM, you're paying for nothing.

I have no idea what they actually support, though. And since it's $5, isn't that easier than always wondering?

Though I have some serious doubts that you'd even see significant benefit from going to 8 GB from 4. What are you doing with it?

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    man i would love to have 4gb in my macbook. i can't fathom putting 8 in it.

one benefit to go with 1333 is that they are typically on sale more than the 1066 though i never can find ram on sale

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Unless the motherboard and CPU both support the higher clock rate on the RAM, you're paying for nothing.

I have no idea what they actually support, though. And since it's $5, isn't that easier than always wondering?

Though I have some serious doubts that you'd even see significant benefit from going to 8 GB from 4. What are you doing with it?

Mostly school work and gaming. I figure every little bit counts and the extra $185 for the RAM isn't a big deal to my pocketbook at this point.

Do you think it's overkill?

Esh on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have 8GB in my PC, and I think it's a sweet spot. It's enough that I never really worry about physical memory, but not so much it causes undue strain on my motherboards northbridge. When I had 4GB, there were certainly combinations of apps/games running at the same time that would cause my PC to start swapping.

If you're a super multi-tasker like I am, and tend to just keeps gobs of shit open, 8GB is really nice.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Are you in an art school esh?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited August 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I have 8GB in my PC, and I think it's a sweet spot. It's enough that I never really worry about physical memory, but not so much it causes undue strain on my motherboards northbridge. When I had 4GB, there were certainly combinations of apps/games running at the same time that would cause my PC to start swapping.

If you're a super multi-tasker like I am, and tend to just keeps gobs of shit open, 8GB is really nice.

That's the thing, I tend to keep a lot of windows open at once.

And no, I'm not in art school, Bowen. I know where you're going with that.

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    Okay... tough call, if the price difference isn't too much go with that 8, but I doubt even for good games (remember it's a laptop and all) you'll even go past 4. I'd think the largest restriction would be the video card (not sure how powerful they really are).

So, my vote goes to 4Gb.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited August 2010
    More RAM isn't really about games (as most games are 32-bit and can't address more than 2GB anyway), it's about multi-tasking.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited August 2010
    True, but how many high memory apps is he going to run. 8 Safari windows and word?

bowen on
    edited August 2010
    I have no idea. I mean, my requirements are probably not normal. I regularly have a game (SC2 or WoW), Visual Studio, FireFox with 15+ tabs, iTunes, Steam, and various tool apps running at the same time. In regular use, I don't really ever go above 50% physical memory used, but when it does spike (like compiling a huge C++ project while playing WoW), it's nice to have the overflow RAM.

GnomeTank on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I'd say that's pretty not normal gnome. :P

bowen on
    edited August 2010
    More RAM isn't really about games (as most games are 32-bit and can't address more than 2GB anyway), it's about multi-tasking.

When I played WoW, switching from 2gb to 4gb made a HUGE difference.

EDIT: On an older computer of mine.

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    Well, there is a threshold where yah, it makes a huge difference. Past 4GB is generally past that threshold, unless you have a game compiled to run in 64-bit mode (not many). Past 4GB, more RAM is really about multi-tasking. Keeping the computer responsive, and not swapping, under heavy work loads.

GnomeTank on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Time for some first-hand testimonials:

I have a Core i5 MacBook Pro, 2.4ghz with 4 GB of RAM. I work mainly in video editing, and I often have Photoshop, After Effects, and Final Cut Pro open at the same time, and I've never felt a need with more memory.

Also, I replaced the stock 5400RPM 320 GB HDD with a 7200RPM 500GB HDD, and the difference is noticeable.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Esh wrote: »

When I played WoW, switching from 2gb to 4gb made a HUGE difference.

EDIT: On an older computer of mine.

This is because a videogame can take up 2 on its own easily. The OS and background apps don't require more than 2, but they take a little bit. So going to 4 gives enough breathing room that nothing has to swap against the hard drive.

Going up to 8 won't do anything because you're never going to max out the 4 without running something special, like rendering video while also gaming. At which point you become severely processor limited anyhow.

With the CPU and GPU power available to a laptop, you're very likely never going to find RAM to be the bottleneck once you've already got 4 GB in there. You're very much at the point of significantly diminishing returns.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Two letters: VM

IF you run VM get all the memory you can afford.
    Look at it this way: You have 4gb, 2gb to each os.
    IF you give OSX 2gb you are fine. There will be a slight hesitation switching between the vm windows and osx windows but it's not toooooo bad. Windows on the other hand laughs at 2gb. It wants 4gb and lets you know.

I have 12gb of ram on my Mac Pro but only 2gb on my other two macs (mac pro, macbook)

I will say I don't ever run into the 2gb issue in general on the other macs, but that Mac Pro takes serious abuse.

At one time I will be ripping a bluray, encoding hd movies, running something in an xp vm with 4gb of ram given to it, writing music in logic/reason and chatting/internet all at the same time.

useless4 on
    edited August 2010
    Well, I know the returns won't be great, but for giggles I went ahead and ordered the 8gb from NewEgg. I'm sure I won't notice the difference, but I think my mind says "You can do it! You might as well!"

My 500gb 7200 Hitachi drive just showed up when I was on my way to work. Can't wait to get off and slap it in.

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    you are going to need a T1 screw driver to get the posts out of the current HDD. at least i think it is T1

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    mts wrote: »
    you are going to need a T1 screw driver to get the posts out of the current HDD. at least i think it is T1

I grabbed a T6 like this tutorial said.

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    yea , so long as you weren't like me an realizing you had no idea how to get them out after you had opened it up

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    yea , so long as you weren't like me an realizing you had no idea how to get them out after you had opened it up

I've never seen a laptop HD up close. This thing is fucking tiny. I mean, I should know, but still.

Putting this thing next to the 10meg HD I had back in 1989 which at that point cost $10 for every MEG is astounding.

Should I quick format or do a normal format?

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    I think i did a quick format. but i used carbon copy cloner to clone my old drive to the new one. after that you just swap it out.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    I think i did a quick format. but i used carbon copy cloner to clone my old drive to the new one. after that you just swap it out.

I'm just wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS. I've only had the computer for a few days. There's nothing on it that can't be quickly replaced or reinstalled.

Quick ok then? What's the point of a full format?

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    not sure, not the best person to ask, but i think the quick is fine. i think you are really looking to just put it in the right file format.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Time for some first-hand testimonials:

I have a Core i5 MacBook Pro, 2.4ghz with 4 GB of RAM. I work mainly in video editing, and I often have Photoshop, After Effects, and Final Cut Pro open at the same time, and I've never felt a need with more memory.

Also, I replaced the stock 5400RPM 320 GB HDD with a 7200RPM 500GB HDD, and the difference is noticeable.

Do you work more with HD or SD video? Also, any experience with Motion on that rig?

I have the first rev Unibody Macbook Pro, and Motion starts to chug pretty quick when I throw HD in the mix. I'm thinking of updating to the Momentus Hybrid drive linked back a page, and upping the 4GB of RAM to 6GB. Wonder how much a difference the i5 makes over the Core 2 Duo

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
    edited August 2010
    Does OSX normally take a really long time to reinstall? This is torturous.

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    Yah, I remember it taking a really, really long time when I did a clean install on my wife's MBP, with uhh, Tiger I believe. Then I had to do the full upgrade to Snow Leopard, which took even more time.

GnomeTank on
    edited August 2010
    The hard drive is in and working like a charm. For the first time though, the bottom of my MacBook Pro feels slightly warm. That's normal I assume?

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    Probably, a 7200 RPM drive is going to put off a bit more heat than 5400 RPM one, for obvious reasons.

GnomeTank on