Options

[Starcraft 2] Multiplayer discussion. Nerf Terran, Zerg, and Protoss please.

• Options
    Ethereal IllusionEthereal Illusion Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hah, thanks Raiden. Exactly what I wanted to see. Something new to look out for in future games.

Ethereal Illusion on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Variable wrote: »

the way it was said made it seem like they were discrediting these people's ability. it just bugs me. like, if they aren't even the best I barely want to play anymore. I have no delusion that I am or would be that good, but when it's like not only are you not that good, but they aren't even actually top tier, it makes me want to fucking kill myself.

there is no doubt that many people are trying to discredit the abilities of current top sc2 players, but you have to consider the fact they are part of a small, vocal sect of douchebags who nobody really likes. Like others have said, people have been playing Brood War for years and the very best players know every single subtle nuance of every minor troop movement and building/attack timing.

As far as the range of skill goes, I personally think that makes the game pretty cool. When we had the PA Brood War thread, the vast majority of people who ever posted in it were probably in the D- to D+ range (on a scale of D- to A++) despite playing it rather frequently, with the best player being maybe C or C+ max. I liked the fact that there could be some small group of people who could be absolutely legendary in skill.

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oh I like that too. I think my confusion mixed with some anger and I may have said and implied things I didn't quite mean. I like there being elite players, but something about it rubbed me the wrong way.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    kaleedity wrote: »
    Italax wrote: »
    I 've only had the game a week, so any pointers at all of what I could be doing to help get better would be much appreciated:

repimg-33-142095.jpg

I thought I was doing ok here until he rolled in with so many units and just destroyed me.

day9tv.blip.tv -- one of the 130s, the one about the basics or the three things to think about or something.

It's like 90 minutes, it's pretty good thinking for what you want to get started on.

Ah yeah, I watched that and it was really helpful. I find myself slipping up on keeping my money low towards the midgame and I think I'm never aggressive enough. I'm too afraid to really launch an attack unless I have a huge army.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmmmm.

Does SC2 no longer save every replay permanently? Like, does it actually delete old ones if you don't copy them out of the directory?

edit: nevermind, it doesn't (save them permanently.)

Fuck. I hate so much about how blizzard designed SC2 in every aspect that isn't the core game.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yes, it deletes old ones if you don't save them off. There is an interface in game to save them by marking them not to be deleted.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Yes, it deletes old ones if you don't save them off. There is an interface in game to save them by marking them not to be deleted.

Yeah, saw that. So irritated. I don't even care about the replays lost, I just care about the utter idiocy that went into designing a replay interface that panics and deletes shit so you don't get overrun with all your 30 fucking kilobyte replays.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ego wrote: »

Yeah, saw that. So irritated. I don't even care about the replays lost, I just care about the utter idiocy that went into designing a replay interface that panics and deletes shit so you don't get overrun with all your 30 fucking kilobyte replays.

You're the only person I've heard complain about the rather robust replay mechanics in SC2. It's so easy to save your replays for good that a four year old could do it. There is even an in-game feature that lets you organize them into customizable folders.

It's no ones fault but your own you just assumed your replays would be automatically saved by the game somewhere. Just glancing into the replay tab shows right away that you need to save them.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Please understand that Blizzard developes games that can be played on a huge range of computer specifications. One of these considerations is hard-drive space. Not everyone is interested in saving every single game they ever played, and for those that are are perfectly capable of doing it. There is no panic, it just saves the last 15 replays for your convenience. Try stopping every 10 games to save your replays. Or just save the really good ones right after the game.

Buddies on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ezekiel wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    Just mere curiosity:
    I was just checking Liquipedia and saw that there were a few builds that were "Bronze Proof." (Here, in ZvT for example, Baneling Rush. Terran has a bunch more.)

What the heck does that mean? O_o

Without looking, I'm assuming it means those builds will crush 95% of the players in the bronze league. Perhaps even silver and low gold.

You really don't see competent level of macro/micro until plat and diamond. This is why I'm losing so much now that they pushed me into platinum.

The baneling rush (or baneling bust) is a hard strategy to counter if you don't know that it's coming. In Bronze, no one really scouts, so they never know it's coming. It's not as simply as "I need x and y to fight off a bust." You need to build structures in a certain fashion as well.

How effective is the baneling bust against terran usually? I've never lost to a baneling bust, and really have only seen it a few times.

The first time I was lucky and hadn't walled off, I had a bunker near my ramp which killed them as they rolled up.

I'm in silver so maybe I just haven't seen a good one done.

It just seems like by the time they have enough banelings I have a siege tank, hellions or a banshee to get them.

Then it wasn't a true baneling bust. They will come so fast that if you aren't walled off, you're toast.

It's usually a mass of banelings followed by a mass of lings. A single bunker would not hold that off.

One bunker will hold off the early busts pretty handily. The banes die before they can do any damage and open it up for the following horde of lings. If it's enough banes to get past that, then they're waiting too long. By that time the terran can have hellions or a tank coming up. There is a slim window of when it will actually work, and only if the terran's wall isn't built specifically against it.

You haven't faced a competent bust yet then, because that's just not true.

The universally accepted counter to a baneling bust is to build your wall with rax and factories, leaving SDs out of the equation. Otherwise, the banelings take out an SD with ease, leaving a hole for the following lings. As for a bunker, it's only 50 HP stronger than a supply depot. If that's part of your main wall, good luck. If it's behind your main wall, any smart player is going to bypass it once a hole is created and go straight for your mineral line.

A good baneling bust will arrive well before you can have any sieged tanks out, and you'd have maybe two hellions at the expense of more marines.

You could alternatively have bunkers around your mineral line to create another wall, so when the banelings do bust through, the lings will have to run all the way around the get at your workers and will likely die before they do.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    s_86 wrote: »

You're the only person I've heard complain about the rather robust replay mechanics in SC2. It's so easy to save your replays for good that a four year old could do it. There is even an in-game feature that lets you organize them into customizable folders.

It's no ones fault but your own you just assumed your replays would be automatically saved by the game somewhere. Just glancing into the replay tab shows right away that you need to save them.

I don't like the replay mechanics either. I wish it would store more recent replays. I wish I could see information on the replays without having to run the replay. I wish the replay folder was in my StarCraft 2 folder. I wish I could move the replays around the folders in bnet (wait, can i?). I wish I could run replays that were made in previous patches.

It shows you the date, time, map, game duration, and players involved. What else were you hoping to see without running the replay?

As for where it saves the replays, just make a directory shortcut if you have a hard time navigating to the replay folder quickly. (Riight Click Desktop, New>Shortcut, use the replay folder as your location).

I just checked about moving shit around in folders... and for some reason you can't. I don't understand the feature then to add folders, since you can't put anything in them. I'm sure that's a bug that will be fixed.

And I've had no problem with watching replays from different patches.

Edit: And I've currently got 23 replay files in the "unsaved" folder of my replay folder. Does it move them there and you just can't access older ones in the game UI? Not sure what that's all about.

Figgy on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it would be nice if the replay saving was configurable.

I mean, it might even be. Are there any .ini or like files that have that sort of data line in it?

Rend on
  • Options
    KarmondKarmond Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just mere curiosity:
    I was just checking Liquipedia and saw that there were a few builds that were "Bronze Proof." (Here, in ZvT for example, Baneling Rush. Terran has a bunch more.)

Without looking, I'm assuming it means those builds will crush 95% of the players in the bronze league. Perhaps even silver and low gold.

You really don't see competent level of macro/micro until plat and diamond. This is why I'm losing so much now that they pushed me into platinum.

The baneling rush (or baneling bust) is a hard strategy to counter if you don't know that it's coming. In Bronze, no one really scouts, so they never know it's coming. It's not as simply as "I need x and y to fight off a bust." You need to build structures in a certain fashion as well.

How effective is the baneling bust against terran usually? I've never lost to a baneling bust, and really have only seen it a few times.

The first time I was lucky and hadn't walled off, I had a bunker near my ramp which killed them as they rolled up.

It just seems like by the time they have enough banelings I have a siege tank, hellions or a banshee to get them.

Then it wasn't a true baneling bust. They will come so fast that if you aren't walled off, you're toast.

It's usually a mass of banelings followed by a mass of lings. A single bunker would not hold that off.

One bunker will hold off the early busts pretty handily. The banes die before they can do any damage and open it up for the following horde of lings. If it's enough banes to get past that, then they're waiting too long. By that time the terran can have hellions or a tank coming up. There is a slim window of when it will actually work, and only if the terran's wall isn't built specifically against it.

The universally accepted counter to a baneling bust is to build your wall with rax and factories, leaving SDs out of the equation. Otherwise, the banelings take out an SD with ease, leaving a hole for the following lings. As for a bunker, it's only 50 HP stronger than a supply depot. If that's part of your main wall, good luck. If it's behind your main wall, any smart player is going to bypass it once a hole is created and go straight for your mineral line.

A good baneling bust will arrive well before you can have any sieged tanks out, and you'd have maybe two hellions at the expense of more marines.

You could alternatively have bunkers around your mineral line to create another wall, so when the banelings do bust through, the lings will have to run all the way around the get at your workers and will likely die before they do.
    You can put a bunker behind a Supply Depot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJfkBg0aPZ8

Karmond on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Karmond wrote: »
    Just mere curiosity:

That was not a typical bust. There were less banelings because of that banshee harass, for starters, forcing the attack early. The first bust had what, 5 lings?

Edit: And watching further, I have no idea why Idra decided to send his lings after the bunker. You run past the bunker and take out as many SCVs as you can before the marines pop out and mop up.

Figgy on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Karmond wrote: »
    Just mere curiosity:

That was not a typical bust. There were less banelings because of that banshee harass, for starters.

Edit: And watching further, I have no idea why Idra decided to send his lings after the bunker. You run past the bunker and take out as many SCVs as you can before the marines pop out and mop up.

If banshees are on the field that is hardly a baneling bust, the window for the bust long since came and went.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Typically I double up my depots on either side, have 2 scvs sitting on auto-repair, and a panic bunker behind barracks if I see a certain amount of banelings and I do fine

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    Yeah,I will from now on try to go Chargelots,Sentries and HTs against Terran. I need to work on my game with those units,haven't used them much at all.

Also,I just trained for a DT Rush in the build order map and then actually pulled it off against a Protoss right after. 4 DTs in his base the moment his Robo-Bay finished. I kicked the Pylon powering it, went for his probes and he GGed.

I've pulled similar off, but its really risky because if he has cannons you've just wasted a lot of resources for no reason. If he has robo up and an observer out, you're going to get smacked down but if you get two into their mineral line you can do a lot of damage to make it worth it. If he has cannon, he probably had at least one at his ramp and you're screwed

Two words: Warp Prisms. I've DT dropped peoples mineral lines with Warp Prisms several times. You'd be surprised how many people will be build a cannon at their ramp, but not build one near their mineral line (until you DT drop it).

for extra fun, load up the warp prisms with immortals, drop em off, then warp in the DTs.

Joe K on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I'm not assigning blame, I just think it's a stupid stupid design decision. Read below to see why.
    Please understand that Blizzard developes games that can be played on a huge range of computer specifications. One of these considerations is hard-drive space. Not everyone is interested in saving every single game they ever played, and for those that are are perfectly capable of doing it. There is no panic, it just saves the last 15 replays for your convenience. Try stopping every 10 games to save your replays. Or just save the really good ones right after the game.

Right. It's just that, with average replay size (measured against the immense size of the game installation, let alone the digital installer) the amount of games kept is stupidly small.

Hence why I feel it's a bad interface decision. Reserving HD space on install to save an average of 100 unsaved replays or so would mean a very, very negligible difference in installed space of SC2.

As I said, I don't care about the replays I lost (or I'd try restoring them.) I just think this is one more example of how SC2 has the worst interface out of any blizzard game since War2.

edit: I stick hellions in front of my wall and laugh at banelings with my 1-1-1 build. Been countering them that way since beta, and I continue to do so easily.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Check your "unsaved" folder in your replay folder.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Could you be more specific? Check it for what?

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    As I said, I don't care about the replays I lost (or I'd try restoring them.) I just think this is one more example of how SC2 has the worst interface out of any blizzard game since War2.

ahhhhhhh, what else is wrong with it exactly?

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Typically I double up my depots on either side, have 2 scvs sitting on auto-repair, and a panic bunker behind barracks if I see a certain amount of banelings and I do fine

This works, but you're going to lose SDs in that case and face supply block. Instead, if you built your wall primarily of barracks and a factory, nothing would ever get destroyed. a couple repair SCVs pulled off the line after the first bust and 2-3 marines in behind is more than enough.

There are several ways to beat back a bust, but I think in general it requires you know/expect that it's coming. Scout early on zerg and if you see two gas, they're going for the bust. Baneling nest popping up is self explanatory as well.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I noticed there are 23 replays in that folder for me, so I'm wondering if the game doesn't keep the files for you anyway.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    For that person who was talking about using Macro's a few pages back.
    From http://sc2armory.com/forums/topic/18951/page:1
    So i was banned last friday for using " Third party hardware that creates an unfair advantage"
    i was using the g19 logitech keyboard.
    aparently bliz has a way to find if you macro onto keyboards.
    I was using it for build orders, very simple macros to pop out some units with one button instead of 2.
    wtf.
    had to buy the game and recreate my account..... i talked to bliz over the weekend to try and unban my account. they eventually caved and just wiped my leauge record. although the cd key was still banned so i still needed a new game.....
    basically everything multiplayer was wiped and they warned me that if I use a macro enabled keyboard in multiplayer again they would ban me.
    then i asked about the sc2 keyboard out on the market right now, dont have the link, but its basically supported by blizzard.
    they said only 3rd party hardware/software is bannable.
    i have lost some respect for blizzard.
    AND I WAS JUST PROMOTED INTO PLATINUM!!! I HAD A 82-45 w/l ratio
    FU blizz FU big time

Yeah, I kind of hope this is true, yet also feel sorry for the guy. Seriously, don't use macros guys. Most peoples' reasoning is "I'm only binding it so I use one button instead of two, it barely makes a difference" or "I'm not going to become a pro gamer, who cares". Well it gives you an advantage (little or large) against others who are trying to have a fair game, so don't do it.

Go Blizzard, now hopefully they will do something about maphacks.

I hope mumble overlay doesnt accidentally get me banned... I'd be sooooooooooooo mad at you guys.

...but Blizzard markets and brands a macro enabled keyboard. Conflict of interest much?

I guess I shouldn't use my n52te either (which I don't right now, but was considering it).

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2010

ahhhhhhh, what else is wrong with it exactly?

Lack of easily differentiated IDs, lack of chat, lack of <status> for /away and /dnd, shared friends lists among Real ID folks whether you want them or not.

Differentiated IDs and lack of chat are the big ones.

A better way to look at it is this: did you play war3 online? OK, see all the shit missing from battle.net?

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited August 2010

This works, but you're going to lose SDs in that case and face supply block. Instead, if you built your wall primarily of barracks and a factory, nothing would ever get destroyed. a couple repair SCVs pulled off the line after the first bust and 2-3 marines in behind is more than enough.

There are several ways to beat back a bust, but I think in general it requires you know/expect that it's coming. Scout early on zerg and if you see two gas, they're going for the bust. Baneling nest popping up is self explanatory as well.

a good tell is when zerg send a single suicide zergling at my ramp. If they do that I typically burrow an SCV and send a marine to scout out around my exo and the center of the map. That's usually what saves me and gives me the time to secure my wall a bit more

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I noticed there are 23 replays in that folder for me, so I'm wondering if the game doesn't keep the files for you anyway.

I've got 28, but I've got about 70 games played.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Right. It's just that, with average replay size (measured against the immense size of the game installation, let alone the digital installer) the amount of games kept is stupidly small.

Hence why I feel it's a bad interface decision. Reserving HD space on install to save an average of 100 unsaved replays or so would mean a very, very negligible difference in installed space of SC2.

its a really piss-poor interface until you get in game. It takes 3 screens to log in. Yes, thats me. Ok, here's my password, Yes, thats me AGAIN. It could have been done in 1.

Joe K on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mine doesn't take three screens? When the game loads up, it's already at the "enter your password and auth #" screen, with the cursor handily placed in the password box for me. I type, hit tab, type more, hit enter, enter, and I am in.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I hope mumble overlay doesnt accidentally get me banned... I'd be sooooooooooooo mad at you guys.

There are maphacks out there? Pretty please tell me that blizzard didn't eff that up?

Joe K on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Joe K wrote: »

its a really piss-poor interface until you get in game. It takes 3 screens to log in. Yes, thats me. Ok, here's my password, Yes, thats me AGAIN. It could have been done in 1.

As I said, the core game is excellent. It's just the interface around it that's lacking. I find the dichotomy to be frustrating, having grown to expect excellence out of blizzard on all fronts.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    Golf153Golf153 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For that person who was talking about using Macro's a few pages back.
    From http://sc2armory.com/forums/topic/18951/page:1
    So i was banned last friday for using " Third party hardware that creates an unfair advantage"
    i was using the g19 logitech keyboard.
    aparently bliz has a way to find if you macro onto keyboards.
    I was using it for build orders, very simple macros to pop out some units with one button instead of 2.
    wtf.
    had to buy the game and recreate my account..... i talked to bliz over the weekend to try and unban my account. they eventually caved and just wiped my leauge record. although the cd key was still banned so i still needed a new game.....
    basically everything multiplayer was wiped and they warned me that if I use a macro enabled keyboard in multiplayer again they would ban me.
    then i asked about the sc2 keyboard out on the market right now, dont have the link, but its basically supported by blizzard.
    they said only 3rd party hardware/software is bannable.
    i have lost some respect for blizzard.
    AND I WAS JUST PROMOTED INTO PLATINUM!!! I HAD A 82-45 w/l ratio
    FU blizz FU big time

Yeah, I kind of hope this is true, yet also feel sorry for the guy. Seriously, don't use macros guys. Most peoples' reasoning is "I'm only binding it so I use one button instead of two, it barely makes a difference" or "I'm not going to become a pro gamer, who cares". Well it gives you an advantage (little or large) against others who are trying to have a fair game, so don't do it.

:?::?::?:
    MAPHACKS!!!
    I knew it, I lost two games last week that as I looked at the replay I noticed they rallied their units in my base at the start on a 4 player map. I just thought they guessed correctly.

Golf153 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010

There are maphacks out there? Pretty please tell me that blizzard didn't eff that up?

There was a maphack on like day 1 of the beta.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think that a lot of those complaints are pretty petty at best, particularly when they've said that a lot of changes are coming like chat.

It's still one of the smoothest and easily accessible interfaces I've ever used, which is what counts for a game like Sc2 that's trying to really bring in a new generation

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mine doesn't take three screens? When the game loads up, it's already at the "enter your password and auth #" screen, with the cursor handily placed in the password box for me. I type, hit tab, type more, hit enter, enter, and I am in.

i don't need an authenticator. just a PW. and it is 3 screens. Someone must have been a little more sane on the authenticator GUI.

Joe K on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

i don't need an authenticator. just a PW. and it is 3 screens. Someone must have been a little more sane on the authenticator GUI.

It's not three screens, the login name and password are on the same one, and then the inner login window changes to character selection, you're exaggerating

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think that a lot of those complaints are pretty petty at best, particularly when they've said that a lot of changes are coming like chat.

It's still one of the smoothest and easily accessible interfaces I've ever used, which is what counts for a game like Sc2 that's trying to really bring in a new generation

This is sort of how I feel as well. Some of the complaints are super petty. The interface is still the best I've ever seen in an RTS game, and one of the best I've seen in gaming in a couple of years. Not counting something like WoW which is 100% customizable. Obviously a customizable UI in a competitive RTS wouldn't really fly.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    when you lose it's cause of maphacks

or imbalance

also jesus hitting 'sign in' and typing in a password is one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen to get bothered by.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited August 2010

It's not three screens, the login name and password are on the same one, and then the inner login window changes to character selection, you're exaggerating

There is a WAY for it to be three, it happens when you get connected from B.net or enter your password wrong, but I've never seen it load up in that state as a default.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I don't think saying you're doing something mitigates complaints about what you've done in even the slightest fashion.

But I'm really not interested in this line of discussion: suffice it to say, War3 could have you into a game exactly as fast as SC2 and didn't totally throw the built in community tools (like fucking goddamned chat, and we all obviously want to talk about the game since we're here on a forum doing exactly that) out the window.

SC2 is a good game. I know you like SC2. I'm not trying to insult the game you like. I like SC2 too. But the features they ditched from War3 in their effort to have integrated friends lists across WoW and SC2 frustrate me to no end.

Ego on
    Erik