Options

[Starcraft 2] Multiplayer discussion. Nerf Terran, Zerg, and Protoss please.

• Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    HON's replay system is ridiculously robust - I really wish blizzard had just ripped it off for SC2.

Sc2's replay system felt really lackluster and missing features after playing HON.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think that a lot of those complaints are pretty petty at best, particularly when they've said that a lot of changes are coming like chat.

It's still one of the smoothest and easily accessible interfaces I've ever used, which is what counts for a game like Sc2 that's trying to really bring in a new generation

just to be clear, the In Game interface is top-notch, its the surrounding cruft to get into games, view ladder rankings, replays, etc, that is confusing and poorly designed. They probably put their junior people on that end of the system implementation. At least, thats what I do with my guys. Junior guys get stuff that shouldnt be that important. Ya s gots to learn somewhere.

I mean, the in-game interface is really smooth. The not-in-game interface is confusing as hell. It's better than anything EA would do, but not nearly as smooth as Valve stuff. Another for instance, all the cute little buttons that are hard to figure out what they mean. Text works (look at valve games).

UI design is one of the things that i've studied and implemented quite a bit of... Its against "About Face", and Jakob Nielsen's "Usability Engineering". The outer candy shell is really badly implemented. But the game itself is well done.

Joe K on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    no...

just, no....

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    KarmondKarmond Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Joe K wrote: »
    I think that a lot of those complaints are pretty petty at best, particularly when they've said that a lot of changes are coming like chat.

It's still one of the smoothest and easily accessible interfaces I've ever used, which is what counts for a game like Sc2 that's trying to really bring in a new generation

just to be clear, the In Game interface is top-notch, its the surrounding cruft to get into games, view ladder rankings, replays, etc, that is confusing and poorly designed. They probably put their junior people on that end of the system implementation. At least, thats what I do with my guys. Junior guys get stuff that shouldnt be that important. Ya s gots to learn somewhere.

I mean, the in-game interface is really smooth. The not-in-game interface is confusing as hell. It's better than anything EA would do, but not nearly as smooth as Valve stuff. Another for instance, all the cute little buttons that are hard to figure out what they mean. Text works (look at valve games).

UI design is one of the things that i've studied and implemented quite a bit of... Its against "About Face", and Jakob Nielsen's "Usability Engineering". The outer candy shell is really badly implemented. But the game itself is well done.

My god, Joe K. Good post. Though I really didn't want to derail this thread into some argument about interfaces, and so will refrain from posting any more on the subject (feel free to PM me if you guys want to continue it.)

In regards to the bolded, though, my understanding is they hired an ex-microsoft engineer, and were forced to redo his work partway through.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How the hell does blizzard know what keyboard you're using? If you get banned for having a macro, why wouldn't you just say you were using the official SC2 keyboard (assuming it does the same macro thing), so they can go ahead and unban you now.

Also, I have my mouse4 button set to be "backspace" when I play, so I hope this doesn't apply to me.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    what's shakin

that morrow fella eh

i need to learn how to not suck

slowly workin it to platinum

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    ChrisAlgooChrisAlgoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is the teamliquid wiki the best place to get build orders and strategies? I'd like to learn how to do a 6pool. Or an 8pool. Whichever is the best of the pools.

ChrisAlgoo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I have a G110, so I sure hope the report is inaccurate.

The one game I know I played against a maphacker was a 2 on 2 my buddy and I were throwing (we attacked each other with SCVs). One of the opponents said 'uhh.... what are you guys doing?'

Then after game I asked him how he knew, and he said scouting. But obviously the replay proved otherwise. After that the only messages he'd send to me were 'I am not a maphacker.'

Could be a really amazing psychic, I suppose :).

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    s_86 wrote: »
    I think... that sc2 keyboard, is not really supported by Blizzard, even though it says licensed by Blizzard right on it. If you google starcraft 2 keyboard, the one that pops up is

http://www2.razerzone.com/sc2/marauder.php

I have a button on my mouse macro'd to backspace. That's all it does. Doesn't do multiple button presses, just an extra backspace button. I couldn't give a shit less if someone thinks it's unfair, nor do I really care much if Blizzard banned me for it.

The fact that they don't let you rebind keys is the dumb fucking problem to begin with, and then they license a macro-enabled keyboard to a top hardware manufacturer for a stupid amount of money and want to ban people who use other company's similar products?

Yeah they can eat a dick on both accounts. Blizzard has turned into such a shady bunch of dickbags.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    s_86 wrote: »
    With Regards to Map Hacks.
    There have been a lot of recent threads posted on TL.net about opponents using map hacks. The two main reasons they suspect their opponents are using map hacks are:
    1. When they watch the 'hackers' camera in the replay, the hacker is found to spend copious amounts of time looking at their opponents base or any proxies their opponent is making (even though its covered in the fog of war).
    2. The hacker counters builds perfectly, or prepares for drops perfectly by bringing his ranged units to the sides of his base where the drops are coming from ahead of time.

They have reported them but nothing has happened to the hackers as far as we know. What people suspect is that Blizzard will make massive bans in waves, as they have for WoW and Diablo 2.

I'd hope for a VAC-like system, and am really curious as to why they didnt try to do something about maphacks, especially if they've been around since beta.

Joe K on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ChrisAlgoo wrote: »
    Is the teamliquid wiki the best place to get build orders and strategies? I'd like to learn how to do a 6pool. Or an 8pool. Whichever is the best of the pools.

The best way to learn something is to have an idea of the concept of what you want and practice it until your hands are bloody stumps.

I want to 6 pool. Go play it until you tweak it until you love it, or until you no longer want to do it.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    How the hell does blizzard know what keyboard you're using? If you get banned for having a macro, why wouldn't you just say you were using the official SC2 keyboard (assuming it does the same macro thing), so they can go ahead and unban you now.

Also, I have my mouse4 button set to be "backspace" when I play, so I hope this doesn't apply to me.

Blizzard's software is designed such that in addition to general details about your computer (OS, RAM, etc) it can monitor any data fed into their programs. A macro keyboard would give a very specific, repeated input, especially over multiple games.

Apparently the SC2 keyboard is fake, but it would be feasible to design one such that it either flagged your account as being macro-allowed or generated a unique identifier when used.

TL DR on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Muriden wrote: »
    ChrisAlgoo wrote: »

The best way to learn something is to have an idea of the concept of what you want and practice it until your hands are bloody stumps.

I want to 6 pool. Go play it until you tweak it until you love it, or until you no longer want to do it.

13-pool is the way to go anyways ;)

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Blizzard's software is designed such that in addition to general details about your computer (OS, RAM, etc) it can monitor any data fed into their programs. A macro keyboard would give a very specific, repeated input, especially over multiple games.

Apparently the SC2 keyboard is fake, but it would be feasible to design one such that it either flagged your account as being macro-allowed or generated a unique identifier when used.

they can prbly tell when a 2 button combo is pressed "too fast", there is a limit to what the human body is capable of....

Joe K on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'd love a comment from blizzard on the macroing matter, as if that's not allowed then I can pretty much guarantee my mini-map expander thing isn't allowed either, though I haven't set it up since beta.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Joe K wrote: »

they can prbly tell when a 2 button combo is pressed "too fast", there is a limit to what the uman body is capable of....

Lots of macro keyboards let you put in programmed timing, so it also could be that they notice you ALWAYS hit (for example) 7 and then e with exactly a 0.1 second gap between them, etc etc.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And yes, the entire BNet UI is so bad that I have a hard time believing it is not intentionally so.

If I want to watch a downloaded replay, I have to either navigate to the SC2/replays folder and save it there or exit the game, re-launch, and re-input my user name and password. There is no way to direct the already-terrible replay interface to another folder.

TL DR on
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Not going to lie. I don't believe that random-internet-person got banned for using simple keyboard macros. I suspect he was doing something else or something more extreme to get a ban.

Technology-wise, Blizzard can only watch keystrokes as a sign of suspicious activity in this area. I know many people use macros sparingly (for example, to automate backspace larvae injection) and haven't been banned, so he must've been doing some crazy keyboard antics to be red flagged.

And blizzard trend with dealing with hackers as defined by wow is to ban people in waves rather than clamping down on individual threats immediately. Their VAC tool equivalent is called Warden.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'd just go ahead and presume that any sort of program or file that modifies the out-of-box game is considered bannable

I don't even understand why'd you set up a macro, you're just harming your own play by requiring handicaps

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So as part of my ongoing effort to not suck at this game I decided to follow everyone's advice and watch some Day9 videos. Supposedly this guy does a great job of teaching the basics and breaking down high-level replays but I'll never know because I can't stand this man. Best as I can tell he spends the first 3 minutes of every video mugging for his webcam and talking about himself, then he starts a replay, then he pauses it to mug for the camera a little more, rinse and repeat. I'd rather be bad then have to watch this shit.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'd just go ahead and presume that any sort of program or file that modifies the out-of-box game is considered bannable

I dunno. Am I modifying the game if I'm webcasting it?

Ok, now how about if I'm only webcasting the minimap?

OK, now how about if while webcasting the minimap I load up the webcast so it's full screen on a 42" HDTV that's right beside the 24" I game on, making it much easier to see the 'expanding box flashes' that happen when a unit is under attack on the minimap, long before the audio cues? Not to mention much easier to notice stuff moving on the minimap with my peripheral vision, since that's based on movement.

(sincerely, what do you guys think of that sort of thing? I thought of it in the beta, and set it up to try out, and it does work.)

edit: ugh, BOTP.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    KarmondKarmond Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The pont is there's official licensed keyboards that do the same thing. The guy was banned for using a competitor's product.

Karmond on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ego wrote: »
    OK, now how about if while webcasting the minimap I load up the webcast so it's full screen on a 42" HDTV that's right beside the 24" I game on, making it much easier to see the 'expanding box flashes' that happen when a unit is under attack on the minimap, long before the audio cues? Not to mention much easier to notice stuff moving on the minimap with my peripheral vision, since that's based on movement.
    (sincerely, what do you guys think of that sort of thing? I thought of it in the beta, and set it up to try out, and it does work.)

I personally wouldn't do it, and I'm pretty it breaks the serious sc2 gamer unspoken code of ethics. But you won't get banned for that.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I dunno. Am I modifying the game if I'm webcasting it?

Ok, now how about if I'm only webcasting the minimap?

edit: ugh, BOTP.

it doesn't fall under either of the first things I mentioned but would still fall under the "handicapping yourself" idea

Karmond wrote: »
    The pont is there's official licensed keyboards that do the same thing. The guy was banned for using a competitor's product.

And I doubt this for now, as someone mentioned it's unlikely he was banned individually for using a 2-in-1 macro, and I'd like to see a review that shows the SC2 keyboard as being able to set up these types of macros and blizzard allowing it

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay so look at this. I'm checking out these official licensed Razer SC2 products.

How is this totally okay but using a G19 to bind 4-e to one key is cheating?

shadow-box-game-alerts.jpg

You can define certain events that will make the keyboard/mouse flash lights of certain colors to get your attention, like everything flashing red when the game announces "your base is under attack" or blue when you complete an upgrade. Yes, completely ridiculous and I wouldn't use it either, but this sure seems like more of a hardware exploit than binding two keys to one.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Karmond wrote: »

Again, I sincerely doubt this is the case. The thread offers no more information as to exactly what he was doing other than the fact that he owns a logitech keyboard. It would be silly to make the logical jump that he was banned for the keyboard.

For example, if he made a macro that spammed drone selection, held it down, and then maintained 2000 APM as a result, it would look like a bot and would be picked up by blizzard either via automation or because enough people looked at their replays, saw his APM, and reported him for hacking.

Intertwined with that thread is a post from a world of warcraft blizzard rep regarding macros. Wow and keyboard automation has had a long history of difficulty (esp. with the autohotkey program). The rule of thumb there is to "not look like a bot".

Kambing on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'd say there's a big difference between the equivalent of the minimap pinging and being able to do in-game actions twice as fast

Like I can understand if it blinked lights to say...indicate when units came into range of a sensor tower or when there was enough energy on your HQ to mule/chrono/eject, but all the notifications on that list that I can see are all standard in-game notifications already

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yah, at this point I am starting to err on the side of the guys story being total hogwash. He was doing something else, and got banned, or he's simply trying to smear Blizzard.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay so look at this. I'm checking out these official licensed Razer SC2 products.

You can define certain events that will make the keyboard/mouse flash lights of certain colors to get your attention, like everything flashing red when the game announces "your base is under attack" or blue when you complete an upgrade. Yes, completely ridiculous and I wouldn't use it either, but this sure seems like more of a hardware exploit than binding two keys to one.

For the curious. Blizzard outputs these values into the Windows registry for the razer peripherals to pick up. You can write your own software to read those values and output them to a separate window or as a direct3d overlay (as a tool did that was advertised on TL but was suffering from stability issues). I don't know if they do anything special for mac clients to read that data (I suspect not).

Kambing on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have a G110, so I sure hope the report is inaccurate.

The one game I know I played against a maphacker was a 2 on 2 my buddy and I were throwing (we attacked each other with SCVs). One of the opponents said 'uhh.... what are you guys doing?'

Then after game I asked him how he knew, and he said scouting. But obviously the replay proved otherwise. After that the only messages he'd send to me were 'I am not a maphacker.'

Could be a really amazing psychic, I suppose :).

Blizzard has always had a frustrating but ultimately effective strategy for dealing with maphackers. Detect the hack, let it run for a few weeks, ban everyone caught using it, start over.

Banning someone the moment a maphack is detected gives hackers the tools they need to examine and counter Blizzard's detection methods. If you log on with a maphack and b.net says "YOU ARE BAD GO DIE NOW!" you know your hack isn't safe and doesn't work.

I've run into a few people I suspect were maphacking, although I didn't watch the replays to find out for sure.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kambing wrote: »

For the curious. Blizzard outputs these values into the Windows registry for the razer peripherals to pick up. You can write your own software to read those values and output them to a separate window or as a direct3d overlay (as a tool did that was advertised on TL but was suffering from stability issues). I don't know if they do anything special for mac clients to read that data (I suspect not).

Ohhhhh really. Now that's interesting. Not sure I want to take advantage of it, but it's interesting information.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Finally, for reference, here is the blizzard's stance on macroing via autohotkey (and macro keyboards like the G15) in world of warcraft. Again world of warcraft is NOT starcraft 2, but I think the intent of the policies would be similar:

http://elitistjerks.com/f32/t25906-autohotkey_thread/

(Explanation in spoilers)
    AHK is not a program prohibited by Blizzard. However, some of its functions are prohibited by Blizzard. It's very similar to the policy on the G15 keyboard. You cannot use AHK or the G15 keyboard to spam a single key -- even if you are sitting at the keyboard and just want to prevent your finger from falling off. However, there has been no blue post prohibiting using AHK to multi-box. And as always, you can use a G15 keyboard to see who is talking in vent, have more keys to bind to macros, etc.

Here's the best blue response I've seen so far on the issue:
    WoW Forums -> Seeking Blue clarification: key repeating

Hello Blizzard,

After unsuccessfully attempting to get clarification via an in-game ticket, I would like to see if the rules can be clarified regarding key repeating software. In light of recent bans, it is unclear what is or isn't allowed, and bearing in mind the majority of players want to follow the rules, it would be of great help if a statement could be made regarding key repeating software.

Previously, the apparent community understanding had been: if it doesn't automate gameplay, and requires you to be present at the keyboard playing the game, then it is legal. It seems with recent bans, this may not actually be the case.

My specific question is: is it okay to use software (or hardware drivers, or external hardware devices) that continually repeat ("spam") a key bound in-game to a macro or ability while another key is held down and while a player is present at the keyboard playing the game? For Hunters, for instance, spamming our shot rotation macro. I'm sure other classes have similar needs, perhaps not 10-20 times per second like a Hunter, but the same idea. Many aspects of the game make key spamming desirable, but is it legitimate to use external drivers/software to achieve it?

I'd love to not have to break my keyboard, fingers, and wrist to achieve maximum DPS, but I would also hate to wake up one morning and find I was banned for using a repeater. Please help myself and other Hunters follow the rules
    This is not okay. One hardware function = one action, according to standard macro rules. A hardware function is a keypress (including press/release) associated with movement and an ability/item. Obviously, our default macro rules enable you to use 'modifying' trinkets or abilities, such as nature's swiftness, plus a single spell all in a single press.

To clarify: No, you may not use hardware or software to auto-spam your shot rotations - period.
    The G15 has been supported by Blizzard in the past, I must have missed it when they changed their minds.
    I use a G15. Using the G15 macro functions to create macros which incorporate delays, or otherwise use multiple abilities that each have a global cooldown on a single keypress has never been supported. It is automation, and is against our policies listed here:

Terms of Use, Part 4, Section B
    WoW -> Legal -> Terms of Use

How To Stay In The Game (Part 2 of 2)
    http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...rticleId=21507

This thread in our CS Forum Information Haven!, to which I've replied previously, may help illuminate the issue for you:

G15 Keyboard Legality
    WoW Forums -> Need official response regarding Logitech G15
    WoW Forums -> G15 keyboard and bans

The G15 may have the ability to continually activate an ability as long as you keep the key pressed but that is not a function that is permitted by our policies.

So yeah, I should clarify my previous position in light of this. Any kind of keyboard macroing that breaks the "1 action per keystroke" rule is technically illegal. Realistically speaking, you won't be banned unless you do something pretty outrageous that makes you look like a bot or otherwise draws attention to yourself. I bet the person in question did something more on the outrageous side than what people would normally do with extended keyboard macros.

Kambing on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Clarity from TL forums:

macros.png

edit: also..

macros2.png

815165 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I am saving that second email screenshot just in case.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    there used to be a game, back in the early 90's as a door game on the "Major BBS" system that was RTS-ish, but it *encouraged* cheating. anything you could do was completely legal as per the rules.

that would be a hillarious way to play sc2.

Joe K on
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heh, here's a random question...

Has anyone seen any word from Blizzard regarding multiple characters per Bnet account? It just seems... silly... that we have to choose our character after logging in, when we can only have one.

The only thing I can imagine is that the character selection is a placeholder for the D3 interface.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i think i need to spend a day playing with the intent of never getting supply blocked

happens far too often with me for me to feel comfortable

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Has anyone seen any word from Blizzard regarding multiple characters per Bnet account? It just seems... silly... that we have to choose our character after logging in, when we can only have one.

The only thing I can imagine is that the character selection is a placeholder for the D3 interface.

I suspect if you have bought multiple copies of starcraft 2 registered to the same bnet account that you will have one character per copy available at that screen.

Kambing on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Prediction: When HotS comes out, we will be asked to make a new "Character", so that we will be able to choose between playing with or without whatever new units HotS adds.

Raiden333 on