As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]tack Dog

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Encumbrance rules are one of those bits of realism that I will throw out of any PnP or CRPG system if given a chance. I have yet to find a time that they make anything fun for anyone.

And vendors that only have a limited budget to buy stuff with.

"Nice power armor you've got there. Sells for about 400 gamebucks. Too bad I only ever have 50. That needs three days of gametime to regenerate."

There have been times in PnP RPGs that I've had vendors decline buying items. The statue of the Snake God was an example. But I usually don't assume vendors are broke unless it's a major plot point.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    Having started watching The Wire, I need much much more of Stringer Bell.

Is that not the coolest guy ever?

Omar is a close second.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Man, where did Ellie disappear to? She's supposed to be a part of my D&D D&D game!

I'm hoping she found some gainful employment and is working her butt off.

She can do that AND post you know :P

In theory sure but if she's like working somewhere that blocks pages or something perhaps not.

I trust that her work occasionally lets her return to her domicile where she is free to make poasts. :P

Naw, I think she probably became a game tester. They just flood her cube with sludge from time to time.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    "RP" in city of heroes is the poops.

but with Architect, you can get a dude (me) to create adventures for you and your buddies, customized for you, with a storyline growing and going on, unique to you

also they made it so that you can turn off all the bullshit auras on most powers, particularely Regeneration, Willpower, Super-Reflexes, and Invulnerability

so if you were like "ugh this is annoying why does my invulnerable dude fucking glow and shit"

you can turn off that fool bullshit (you can also change the colors of all your powers now, and even some of the powers have alternate animations if you prefer)

sounds like they've fixed some of the frustrating stuff

but man was that dev team non-responsive

ugh

i guess i'd have to try it to see

i like the idea of people being able to make content though

a while back, Cryptic Studios split from NC Soft. NC Soft kept City of Heroes, Cryptic went on to develop Marvel Universe Online (Which became Champions Online when Marvel back out)

NC Soft kept all the good CoH devs (Positron, Castle, Back Alley Brawler) and they became Paragon Studios

and all the shitty devs (Statesman) went with Cryptic and made Champions Online

once Jack Emmert stopped poisoning CoH it drastically improved in less than a year. All of the really big advances in the game I am going on about are the result of Jack leaving the company.

The dev team nowadays are actually really receptive and responsive to the playerbase (this is somewhat problematic, though, becuase the Defender community has actually managed to make their class worse by constantly insisting Defender isn't underpowered garbage)

Pony on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also pony do all attacks still root you in CoX?

Arch on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's nothing they could do to CoH at this point that would make me go back to it. That ship sailed after years of them ignoring Defenders.

There's absolutely no excuse for allowing a class to be that weak and dependent for so fucking long and pretending there is no problem, listening to the 5 forum princesses who are telling them it's all good.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    My group only really cares about encumbrance when things get ridiculous. Like, when you're measuring what you're carrying in tons, or something.

Yep. And I'll even let it go if they can find a clever way of doing it.

"So you wanna take that multiton statue of the snake god and bring it back to town in hopes of cashing in on the growing art market?"
    "Yes."
    "How are you planning on getting it there?"
    "Well we're gonna use a dozen Tensor's floating disks and a wagon train of donkeys..."
    "Well I'm too lazy to do the math for that, I'll let it stand."

Something like this happened in a Dungeons and Dragons game I ran about a year ago. It is now referred to as "the day I no longer use golden thrones as setting props."

The Snake God thing was a real incident. But yes, you should always assume that PCs will steal anything shiny or not nailed down.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Pony, how much of CoH would I have to suffer before I could do fun stuff like play in Praetoria or develop/play Architect missions?

Praetoria is the new 1-20 content. You start playing a Praetorian from level 1, and you play in Praetoria until level 20.

You can still make Heroes and Villains and do the normal content, if you like, but Praetoria is for new characters only.

So, Praetorian content you get access to from level 1.

Architect? You can start using Architect as soon as you get to a zone that has one of the buildings for it (like Atlas Park and Cap Au Diable) which is usually like level 2.

(although level 20 for Praetorians since they are stuck in their dystopian hell-world until then)

praetorians are like roman alien people or something right?

i quit before they introduced the prestige classes

i couldn't see grinding up to the required level anyways

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have vendors can buy off of players what it would make sense for them to be able to afford. That's basic world building to me.

Sorry, your not going to be able to sell your power armor when you are on the jungle death world who's tribal humans still used a shell based method of money.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    In other news pony answer me this

how is early-leveling stuff

do you still do the whole "ATTACK"....wait for it to recharge....wait for it....wait for it....look at the enemy...wait for it..."ATTACK!".....wait for it...wait for it....

i don't have this happen like ever

what class were you playing, man

i don't think any class has starting attacks with recharges that bad

by level 6 you should have 2-3 attacks and one of them should be available almost always. when it isn't, you fill the gap with Brawl.

Pony on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Omar is a close second.

Omar is the mannnn

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    But really I guess I am not to interested in discussing the merits of "spoken" roleplaying interactions between people in an online game because I understand I am apparently in the minority; and the majority not only doesn't enjoy the activity, they actually look down upon it.

So I guess I am done with that discussion.

Arch, I actually enjoy a bit of roleplaying with my villian-smashing. We could have awesome times in the near future.

Jeep spoke in character a bit last night. It was kind of erotic.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also pony do all attacks still root you in CoX?

yes and this never stops being annoying

ever

it is probably the most annoying thing in coh combat by far

Pony on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

do you still do the whole "ATTACK"....wait for it to recharge....wait for it....wait for it....look at the enemy...wait for it..."ATTACK!".....wait for it...wait for it....

Since they added origin-specific attack powers and pretty much everyone now has access to veteran reward attack powers, you can work up a halfway decent attack chain in the tutorial.

At least you could, like, over a year ago.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    T: Japan

The phenomenon is also severe at the level of restaurants

Those customers that raise the biggest stink are usually the most lower-economic end of the scale

maybe they think that if they bitch enough they can get something for free

working the returns desk at a wal-mart must be the worst job in existence

i'd come to work in a bulletproof vest

I am not a fan of the increasing tendency for "customer service" to be interpreted as "give free stuff to the loudest, most unreasonable people". I feel like it has encouraged undesirable behaviours.

japan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    But really I guess I am not to interested in discussing the merits of "spoken" roleplaying interactions between people in an online game because I understand I am apparently in the minority; and the majority not only doesn't enjoy the activity, they actually look down upon it.

Arch, I actually enjoy a bit of roleplaying with my villian-smashing. We could have awesome times in the near future.

Hah hah, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    The Snake God thing was a real incident. But yes, you should always assume that PCs will steal anything shiny or not nailed down.

Like the saying goes: "If you give something hit points, the players will find a way to kill it."

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My favorite thing about WAR was that the class I played had some attacks that filled up a bar, but you could fill up that bar while moving.

About damn time people.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    why is it some days you are super hungry but today i ate a cinnamon bun and a yogurt drink all day and ive been up for 8 hours and am not hungry

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Like the saying goes: "If you give something hit points, the players will find a way to kill it."

That just smacks of lack of ambition. The lack of HP just means you need to try harder.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I am hungry about the same time every day, day in, day out.

So, basically, your body is just dumb Shaz. :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

i don't have this happen like ever

what class were you playing, man

i don't think any class has starting attacks with recharges that bad

by level 6 you should have 2-3 attacks and one of them should be available almost always. when it isn't, you fill the gap with Brawl.

Lets see- Early stone melee suffered from this, Blasters suffered from this, and Brawl is a shitty attack that does so little damage it is laughable. See also Corrupters, and dominators.

Also the static damage values that weren't tailored to enemy health pools was rather annoying; setting off an attack and using all my powers on my scrapper (claws) and having the enemy survive with enough health that no single attack of mine could finish him off was rather annoying.

Also being rooted during combat was really frustrating, and my comments about the aesthetics still stand (and yes, I watched videos of the new graphics system).

Basically everything you are telling me sounds great, but then I remember how the game actually plays and looks and I get uninterested.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The only reason that the Defender forum morons could have kept the devs from seeing the issues with defenders is if the devs never, ever play defenders themselves.

Ever.

So that doesn't give them a pass, at all.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    your face is dumb inq

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Speaking of being hungry at certain times, it is lunch time!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it took world of warcraft six years to allow warrior's slam to cast while they were moving

six years

it's still only in a beta build

kaleedity on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My favorite thing about WAR was that the class I played had some attacks that filled up a bar, but you could fill up that bar while moving.

About damn time people.

You don't get rooted in Champions Online unless you are charging an attack, and even then some attacks can be charged as you move.

One of my favorite things about the game, honestly. Also blocking on command

Arch on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010

Omar is a close second.

Be careful.

Omar can come back tomorrow. And the next day. And the next.

D:

He's scary in a friendly way.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yissssssss

Arch on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    a while back, Cryptic Studios split from NC Soft. NC Soft kept City of Heroes, Cryptic went on to develop Marvel Universe Online (Which became Champions Online when Marvel back out)

NC Soft kept all the good CoH devs (Positron, Castle, Back Alley Brawler) and they became Paragon Studios

and all the shitty devs (Statesman) went with Cryptic and made Champions Online

once Jack Emmert stopped poisoning CoH it drastically improved in less than a year. All of the really big advances in the game I am going on about are the result of Jack leaving the company.

The dev team nowadays are actually really receptive and responsive to the playerbase (this is somewhat problematic, though, becuase the Defender community has actually managed to make their class worse by constantly insisting Defender isn't underpowered garbage)

i guess it depends on the playerbase then

i mean, there are always multiple poles pulling at an MMO's direction

but it's usually the players who have put a whole lot of time into the game, figuring out the power synergies and exploits and mathematically best ways to min-max that catch the ears of the devs.

and those are the dudes who want the game to be broken and want the endgame challenge levels to be basically not even doable by casual players

and that was what was happening with CoH when I left, and it's what was happening with WoW when I left. The only two development directions were "more dresses and emotes for RP people and more endgame omghard content for the hardcore"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pony, how much of CoH would I have to suffer before I could do fun stuff like play in Praetoria or develop/play Architect missions?

Praetoria is the new 1-20 content. You start playing a Praetorian from level 1, and you play in Praetoria until level 20.

You can still make Heroes and Villains and do the normal content, if you like, but Praetoria is for new characters only.

So, Praetorian content you get access to from level 1.

Architect? You can start using Architect as soon as you get to a zone that has one of the buildings for it (like Atlas Park and Cap Au Diable) which is usually like level 2.

(although level 20 for Praetorians since they are stuck in their dystopian hell-world until then)

praetorians are like roman alien people or something right?

i quit before they introduced the prestige classes

i couldn't see grinding up to the required level anyways

no no no you are confused

those are Kheldians, which unlock for heroes when you get a hero to level 20 anyway now

Praetorians are new. They come from Praetoria, which is an alternate world in which Statesman is evil and emperor of the world, who rules a shining police-state dystopia with an iron fist

When you make a Praetorian, you are neither hero nor villain, and can choose to play any hero or villain class. once you start, you get a choice really early on to join the Resistance against Emperor Cole, or be a Loyalist to Praetoria.

(you can change this choice over the course of the story, or be a double or even triple agent!)

once you get to level 20, the Praetorian story arcs conclude, and you're given the choice whether to go to the Rogue Isles (and become a Rogue) or go to Paragon City (and become a Vigilante)

Rogue and Vigilante are the two new alignments, in addition to Heroes and Villains.

A Vigilante is like a hero, can do hero missions, but he's also able to go to the Rogue Isles, team up with villains, and do villain missions with other villains (although he can't get villain missions of his own)

A Rogue is like the same idea, only reverse. A villain who can travel to Paragon City, and engage in some casual heroism with other heroes.

Basically they're "greytone" characters. Dark heroes and villains with conscience and so on. Praetorians become one or the other when they leave Praetoria. If you are a Praetorian vigilante/rogue, you have to do a series of missions to become a true Hero or Villain by collecting morality points and stuff.

(this is also how pre-existing Heroes/Villains can change alignments)

it goes Hero > Vigilante > Villain

or Villain > Rogue > Hero

Pony on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Honestly, unless my settings are borked, the new graphics in CoX aren't really that impressive.

But nice graphics stopped being a reason to play CoX around 2006.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I never get the push for "hardcore challenge!" I mean I don't want to breeze through every challenge, but christ I only have so much time to play and I'd rather not fail over and over again. I mean I already have a social life, why must that be emulated in game?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    11 pages into a [chat] thread and this is my first post.

I think I might be sick, or something.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

i am okay with light jokey in-character kinds of stuff

but can't handle serious involved rp

just embarrasses me

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My level of RP is about equal to the NPCs in any MMO I am playing

Arch on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010

Omar is a close second.

Omar is the mannnn

Omar is the bestevez

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Grouping with me is basically like grouping with Defender

Arch on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Omar is a close second.

Omar is the mannnn

Omar is the bestevez

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttt

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Grouping with me is basically like grouping with Defender

Totally relevant video