As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: Now an old thread.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BREs

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Small hands/children?

I know I only use them for BREs.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As important as Imagine is, greatest song ever, blah blah blah

Instant Karma would be way better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqP3wT5lpa4

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Two bassists?

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Mr. G wrote: »
    No I'm pretty sure you just play this keyboard with one hand, mostly

http://www.rockband.com/zine/rb3-features-pro-keys
    Pro Keys, however, had a different set of design goals:

* It needs to be "Pro." In other words, I should be having fun playing an actual keys part.
    * Every note is always an accurate pitch.
    * Every part is technically possible to play with one hand. That's important if you're playing while standing.
    * Songs can use every key of the two-octave keyboard.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

* It needs to be "Pro." In other words, I should be having fun playing an actual keys part.
    * Every part is technically possible to play with one hand. That's important if you're playing while standing.

Personally I took "technically possible to play with one hand" to mean that you're not going to be playing 6 note piano chords.

Dan Teasdale played Bohemian Rhapsody two-handed on Pro Keys during a demo for E3 that I saw. But John Drake seems to enjoy playing one-handed from what I've seen of demos with him on keys.

Though thinking about it now, I do wonder if it will at all incorporate the "hold bass note, play melody" style charting that the Hero games have been using for a few iterations now.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    JC of DI wrote: »

Personally I took "technically possible to play with one hand" to mean that you're not going to be playing 6 note piano chords.

Dan Teasdale played Bohemian Rhapsody two-handed on Pro Keys during a demo for E3 that I saw. But John Drake seems to enjoy playing one-handed from what I've seen of demos with him on keys.

Though thinking about it now, I do wonder if it will at all incorporate the "hold bass note, play melody" style charting that the Hero games have been using for a few iterations now.

Wouldn't this fit in with most songs that have keyboardist? I know things are done for videos and such, and too look cooler. Such as using full Moeller on the drums cause it looks badd ass. But in most songs the keyboardist is mostly doing everything one handed it seems.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well stuff like a Moog won't even register two notes at once, though I have no idea if that's the case with other keyboard instruments that bands would use. If you're not doing two notes at once, there's no way you'll be needing to press keys further than a hand's width simultaneously - so with fast enough fingerwork, yeah - it could be all done one-handed.

Most guitar solos could be done with only two fingers (or even one!) if they were fast enough, too.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know the keyboardist are doing more, you always seem em hitting switches and buttons with their right hand, but in almost every rock video I've seen with keyboardist, its been only their left hand.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Speaking of which, they really did bring up the keyboard out of the mix in Cold as Ice.

If Grateful Dead ever got upgraded, I wonder if they'd bring the keyboard up in the mix for Touch of Grey..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Speaking of which, they really did bring up the keyboard out of the mix in Cold as Ice.

If Grateful Dead ever got upgraded, I wonder if they'd bring the keyboard up in the mix for Touch of Grey..

Well, in that mix where the keyboard is the one instrument being played, sure.

Remember, Rock Band emphasizes any instruments being played.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That song in particular because some people feel the keyboard is way too far down in the mix.. even though it was kind of low in the original studio version already.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    When I heard Cold as Ice was in I honestly expected to just play the piano part. Had no idea there was synth going on behind the rest of it.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And now it is up on YouTube so I can embed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF3vvZisdJ0&feature=player_embedded

Arikado on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, in the video where the keyboard part is playing, to the left of your "health" it says Press Start to Join. This means either you have other instruments plugged in ready to join in, or the part is playing itself.

Do we finally have autoplay and therefore, jukebox mode??

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They copied the party mode from GH5 but it seems to be applicable in various modes.

Arikado on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I need video of Burning Down the House being played. I am so psyched to get that as a pre-order bonus.

And yes, Pro Mode looks difficult, but I get the feeling it'll be far easier on keys than it will on guitar.

Fawst on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pro keys won't be that bad, two octaves and a general disposition towards charting for one handed playing ought to keep it from going all Keyboard Mania on us.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wait, what I actually need to see is video of Pro Guitar being played and done without all kinds of shitty lag and lolmissednotes.

Fawst on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fawst wrote: »
    I need video of Burning Down the House being played. I am so psyched to get that as a pre-order bonus.

And yes, Pro Mode looks difficult, but I get the feeling it'll be far easier on keys than it will on guitar.

Anyone know if you're locked into picking up the game from the specific GameStop you pre-order from?

There is a 65% chance I will have moved to Boston by the time RB3 releases, but I REALLY want that pre-order, and I dont want to do it online for fear that I wont have it the minute it's released.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Do we finally have autoplay and therefore, jukebox mode??

I'm guessing jukebox mode is a no-go, since it would be a licensing nightmare.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »

Anyone know if you're locked into picking up the game from the specific GameStop you pre-order from?

There is a 65% chance I will have moved to Boston by the time RB3 releases, but I REALLY want that pre-order, and I dont want to do it online for fear that I wont have it the minute it's released.

I'm 99% sure you're locked in to the store you're buying from, BUT... if you are moving, you can possibly have them transfer the pre-order over. I live in the Boston 'burbs (South Shore), and there are three GS's in my immediate area. Are you moving literally to Boston, or the surrounding area?

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So you're shipping up to Boston?

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »

I'm 99% sure you're locked in to the store you're buying from, BUT... if you are moving, you can possibly have them transfer the pre-order over. I live in the Boston 'burbs (South Shore), and there are three GS's in my immediate area. Are you moving literally to Boston, or the surrounding area?

At the moment it's looking like I'm moving to Belmont for a month or two to get on my feet and get financing in order...

My girlfriend has a job interview tomorrow, and another Thursday for jobs in Natick and Boston, and she's awesome and I suck - because Im yet to land ANY sort of interview at all. So I have an aunt in Belmont who would let me stay with her, assuming my girlfriend gets a job.

That way we could move together, and I feel like the odds of me getting an interview would get a little better if I actually lived in the area.

Once we're BOTH employed, she wants to live closer to the actual city. I've only been to Boston once, but she went to Boston College, so she's the one who knows where everything is. I forget where she said she ultimately wants to end up -- I believe it's either Brookline or Quincy.

...and this pertains to the thread because HMX is in the Boston Area. Thread derailment avoided!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Arikado wrote: »

I wish I could hate that song more, but the meter is pinned in this instance.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arikado wrote: »

I wish I could hate that song more, but the meter is pinned in this instance.

That song is fun as hell to play on Expert guitar, though.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It actually came up on random this weekend, and since we've been trying to move for a good 6 months now, I took it as a phenominal sign.

Its waaaaaaaay more fun on expert drums however.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Drunken Lullabies is a hoot on guitar too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUw0pVpiBww

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maybe it's just me and my 9 years of classical piano training but Pro Keys looks way easier than non pro.

Finally! All those years of practice and concerts pays off!

Also, I could not be happier for Centerfold.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with you on this one. Stretching your hands across the whole board the entire time seems like a pain in the ass in not-Pro.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JimmyhatesyouJimmyhatesyou Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Speaking of upgrading the Grateful Dead with the new Keyboard Peripheral, I'd love to see a jam pack released with a few songs that stretch over the 10 minute mark. A little China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, or Playing in the Band > Terrapin Station > Not Fade Away would be excellent.

To give you an idea....

[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQY1ZXznyZQ [/url]
    [url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYjMCSlA6AU [/url]

Jimmyhatesyou on
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So THIS was announced today:

Rbn2logo-e1282579896481.jpg

http://www.rockbandaide.com has the details. but I've copied them here:

* Pro Drums: RBN 2.0 will add cymbal gems as well as a few enhancements to streamline the audio submixes
    * Keys and Pro Keys: Full support of the new Keys peripheral will be available in both regular (5-lane) and Pro Keys authoring flavors
    * Vocal harmonies: Three part harmonies will be arriving.
    * Optional inclusion: All of these features will be optionally supported by RBN 2.0, and each song may implement as many or as few of them as the creators wish.
    * Audition mode updates: The exact feature set is not final, but the following enhancements are scheduled to be included:
    o Practice Sections: full support for named and placed practice sections, plus the ability to check them in Audition mode. Auto generated practice sections will still be an option.
    o Rewind while you are auditioning a song.
    o Custom camera controls to allow you to view specific band members during audition mode (to check animations, lip sync, etc.)
    o Dramatically improved auto-generation for the venue track.

There will be additional enhancements added as well, and will prioritize after the inclusion of the above features including skipping to song sections, feedback for audio mixing issues, fixing store audio preview bugs, improved Magma error reporting and MIDI validation, guide audio for vocals, and more. While these are in no way confirmed for inclusion, community feedback will be instrumental in the prioritizing of the requested features.

So… what’s missing? Pro Guitar. Harmonix considered supporting this feature very carefully, but ultimately decided they cannot support Pro Guitar for RBN at this time based on several reasons:

* The way that Pro Guitar DLC is implemented in Rock Band 3, it would have been substantial work to add to the pipeline for both Harmonix and Microsoft.
    * It is extremely time consuming to author, to the point that it might be just as time consuming to author a Pro Guitar part as it would be to author the rest of the track.
    * Peer Reviewing any Pro Guitar songs would be problematic due to the fact that we will be building a brand new install base of Pro Guitar players at launch.

It is important to note that this decision was not made lightly, and will be revisited in 6-12 months if the supply and demand from the community and Creators can be met effectively and efficiently.

When can we look forward to these new features?

* RBN2.0 Documentation and Reaper Templates are planning to be released prior to the RB3 ship date (October 26th).
    * Magma 2.0 and RBN 2.0 Audition mode (added to Rock Band 3 360 with a patch) will be released shortly after Rock Band 3 ships.
    * A beta version of the Creators site that handles RBN 2.0 songs will be available for song submissions in early 2011.
    * RBN2 content will start to appear in the Rock Band 3 store at the end of Q1 2011.

In the announcement, Harmonix did note that Rock Band 3 will support existing, and any newly created RBN content, from Day 1, as well.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I knew that a new Magma was going to come out but I didn't think it would include all that.

Arikado on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cue griping.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Honestly, good call on the protar support.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Honestly, good call on the protar support.

Yeah, I can absolutely understand their reasoning on that.

I'm sure it goes without saying that RBN2 won't be compatible with RB1 and 2.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    No pro guitar support kinda sucks, but I'll have my hands full with regular RB3 and DLC pro tracks to care too much. I imagine it'll eventually happen anyway.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also according to a magazine someone quoted on the internet, the Protar can detect HOPOs and string bends, but "RB3 will not use the string bend information at launch"

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I would hope that would mean fewer shitty trills for standard charting. But I know that wouldn't happen.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What about the HOPO data? Bends would be pretty tough to implement, but HOPOs should be easy enough.

Fawst on