As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: Now an old thread.

• Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, did I miss something? I got an e-mail of the new Zine from HMX and My Own Summer, Burning Down the House and Blue Monday are exclusive pre-order free downloads.

toolbert on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    From Amazon:

"The Rock Band 3 Wireless Mustang PRO-Guitar Controller is fully compatible with both standard and Pro modes."

But which of the 102 buttons do you use?

Any of the ones in the green, red, yellow, blue or orange areas? Pretty much like the Squier?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    toolbert wrote: »
    So, did I miss something? I got an e-mail of the new Zine from HMX and My Own Summer, Burning Down the House and Blue Monday are exclusive pre-order free downloads.

Those will (presumably) be paid dlc for everyone else. But actually, could someone post the text of that email? It was saying some about bohemian rhapsody but I deleted it while skimming it

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    toolbert wrote: »

Those will (presumably) be paid dlc for everyone else. But actually, could someone post the text of that email? It was saying some about bohemian rhapsody but I deleted it while skimming it

This?
    With just two months left until the release of Rock Band 3, we're pulling out all the stops with pre-orders. Check out the options below for exclusive in-game content, gift cards and free DLC!

Click here to pre-order from GameStop and get three additional downloadable tracks at launch! You'll get "Burning Down the House" by the Talking Heads, "My Own Summer" by the Deftones and "Blue Monday" by New Order!

Click here to pre-order from Best Buy and you'll get an exclusive in-game guitar! And for you PS3 & Xbox 360 owners that are also members of Best Buy's Reward Zone Program, be sure to check out the members only offer available starting 8/29 on the Reward Zone Gamers Club website!

Click here to pre-order from Amazon and you'll receive an exclusive in-game guitar! As if jazzing up your avatar wasn't incentive enough, for a limited time only PS3 and Xbox 360 pre-orders will receive $10 off a future videogame purchase.

Click here to pre-order from Wal-Mart and you'll received a $10 eGift card for a limited time!

Be sure to get your pre orders in as soon as possible... no one wants to be that lame guy throwing Rock Band parties without keyboards, harmonies and "Bohemian Rhapsody" after October 26th. Mark your calendar!

And don't forget to Like us on Facebook & tell all your friends to do the same. We just posted the world premiere of the new Rock Band 3 trailer and we'll be sharing even more exciting Rock Band 3 updates with all of our fans soon!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Damn you Harmonix for making me buy this at Gamestop.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You see all this guitar talk and confusion?

That's what I'm talking about.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You see all this guitar talk and confusion?

That's what I'm talking about.

What are you talking about?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1N IT!!!!1 was just released for RBN and ironically enough, the song costs just as much as the game itself.

Edit: Also, it appears to be a very long song, the only video of it online so far is like 10 minutes long

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And with that, here are the recent list of songs for RBN officially available in-game since the last time. All songs are a dollar. (Example links included where available. * means it's not an 'in-game' chart. **** means ambient audio.)

Due to lack of some in-game charts, may be NSFW.
    song title - band name

[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcKTlRZYxnU]XIV[/vidurl] - Chaotrope (Guitar chart only****) (No vocals song)
    [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIYG-jZCK3I]I Cut Off My Arms[/vidurl] - J.A.C.K. ('One man band' edit)
    I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1N IT !!!1 - James Silva ([vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohoTgZ-BK24]Part One[/vidurl]) ([vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWHVmprxQM8]Part Two[/vidurl])
    [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0grQ8DPO4]Howling at Summer[/vidurl] - You Me and Iowa* (Live performance video)
    [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iio-a9zNuWk]Spring[/vidurl] - Your Heart (Full-band autoplay)

Jesus fuck! It appears the XBLA game theme is 13-14 minutes long, but strangely, nobody has posted an actual RBN video for it. So I have no idea how long it is in-game. Why do I dispise bands like Tenacious D or Spinal Tap? Shit like this is why...

A little bit of Springsteen cadence with the verses in Howling at Summer. Almost as if he turned 'indie' all of a sudden.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Jesus fuck! It appears the XBLA game theme is 13-14 minutes long, but strangely, nobody has posted an actual RBN video for it. So I have no idea how long it is in-game. Why do I dispise bands like Tenacious D or Spinal Tap? Shit like this is why...

You hated Tenacious D and Spinal Tap because at some point in the future, someone would post a 14-minute-long indie game theme to Rock Band? Wow, that's some clairvoyant hatred.

Tell me, what do you hate about the Powerball lottery? (Gets out notebook)

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    RBN keys will be wonderful -- since public domain stuff is cool now, I could see a lot of neat classical piano pieces getting authored in :)

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    metaghost wrote: »
    And here's the list of RBN songs for PS3. No real surpris-
    And here are the PS3 tracks coming on Aug. 24th:
    · Lemon Demon - "The Ultimate Showdown (RBN Mix)"

· Scale the Summit - "The Great Plains"

· Rodrigo y Gabriela - "Buster Voodoo"

· Cate Sparks - "Whatever Happened to You"

· Dappled Cities - "The Price"

Cate Sparks? Dapples Cities? Um, okay?

I'm assuming one or both of those will be T-Mobil artist of the arbitrary time-span.

Oh shit Rodrigo y Gabriela? That's awesome!

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Every now and then I remember "oh right I'm paralyzed with anticipation for Rock Band 3"

Someone put me in a diabetic coma or something until October 25th

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

You hated Tenacious D and Spinal Tap because at some point in the future, someone would post a 14-minute-long indie game theme to Rock Band? Wow, that's some clairvoyant hatred.

I've been on record as despising joke bands. The joke is already old and boring, I don't need it repeated.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just wanted to interrupt the discussion to say I five-starred Constant Motion today on Expert Drums and I feel good about myself.

And that I was disappointed with the setlist for RB3 until I saw the confirmed songs that poured out form the leak. FFS Beach Boys.

Trynant on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Beach Boys were like the NSync of the '60s.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I've been on record as despising joke bands. The joke is already old and boring, I don't need it repeated.

Except the rock industry as a whole generally thinks Spinal Tap is awesome.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As a movie Spinal Tap is great. As a band it's like watching the same stand-up routine over and over again.

I can stand listening to some songs every now and then, but I'm never like, "God damn - I need to listen to "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight" right now".

Then stuff like "Short and Sweet" just makes me wish they never existed.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And here are the PS3 tracks coming on Aug. 24th:
    · Lemon Demon - "The Ultimate Showdown (RBN Mix)"

· Scale the Summit - "The Great Plains"

· Rodrigo y Gabriela - "Buster Voodoo"

· Cate Sparks - "Whatever Happened to You"

· Dappled Cities - "The Price"

Cate Sparks? Dapples Cities? Um, okay?

This update rules

"The Ultimate Showdown" was an entertaining song a few years back, I'll pick it up

The Rodrigo y Gabriela song is pretty good

I just listened to the Cate Sparks song and it is really good holy shit

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Except the rock industry as a whole generally thinks Spinal Tap is awesome.

And because the rock industry thinks it, Santa's opinion has to be wrong.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    JC of DI wrote: »
    As a movie Spinal Tap is great. As a band it's like watching the same stand-up routine over and over again.

I can stand listening to some songs every now and then, but I'm never like, "God damn - I need to listen to "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight" right now".

Then stuff like "Short and Sweet" just makes me wish they never existed.

This about sums up my feelings on Spinal Tap. I get the joke. It just doesn't get any funnier the more I hear it.

EDIT:
    Arikado wrote: »
    And because the rock industry thinks it, Santa's opinion has to be wrong.

Well...duh!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Was "Short and Sweet" on Lego Rock Band?

I don't recall ever paying for any Spinal Tap but it's on my hard drive

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I just listened to the Cate Sparks song and it is really good holy shit

I had to put it on my list when I listened to it again. I don't know why it didn't go there in the first place. The reason I question Cate Sparks and Dappled Cities is because they didn't sell worth a shit. They will be the lowest ranked songs to make the jump. Only How We Roll by Plushgun has fewer 360 scores than the Cate Sparks song, but they were just the 'Artist of the Month'.

Both are pretty decent, however.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yeah.

Remarkably, I really don't even remember what it sounds like.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yes. It was.

It made The Passenger and Ride a White Swan look like 'obvious' choices.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's the worst thing on drums on LRB. It's not hard it's just really stupid and, yeah, it means the choice between "Short and Sweet" and any other song is quite obvious.

Arikado on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fuck yes managed to beat Bad Reputation on Expert drums

now back to working on my old nemesis, Blue Oyster Cult.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    The Beatles were like the NSync of the '60s.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Trynant wrote: »
    I just wanted to interrupt the discussion to say I five-starred Constant Motion today on Expert Drums and I feel good about myself.

And that I was disappointed with the setlist for RB3 until I saw the confirmed songs that poured out form the leak. FFS Beach Boys.

Don't Worry Baby on 3 part harmonies.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Trynant wrote: »

If they put in "Sloop John B" I will die

Literally

I won't even get to play it

The ensuing excitement would give me a heart attack, and I'd slump over dead in front of my computer

The only clue as to the cause of the heart attack will be a half-written message on the forum that reads "HOLY SHIT SLOOP JOH"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'll be honest here that I actually remember nothing of "Short and Sweet" musically. Just the feeling of intense, borderline painful boredom for what felt like 20 minutes.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    A song notable for being neither.

Geddit!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It should also be noted that it is partially by choice, partially by mental self defense that I remember nothing of it.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I wish I could be that lucky. Sadly, my brain basically compartmentalised that song as 'unending, unfunny parody song with bullshit guitar wank'. It's one of the six or seven songs I wish I could delete (and why I waited so long to import) and will definitely downrate within RB3.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ha!

I simply never played it

8-)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Incase anyone was wondering, I made a game with zombies (...sp...i guess) is 9:45, the max allowed by rbn, and was charted by john drake, of hmx and the main drag.

Also, i figured fuck it and just asked mike from twisted pixel where the splosion man theme is, and he responded he was literally just talking about it and it will be in play testing tomorrow or wednesday.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Also, i figured fuck it and just asked mike from twisted pixel where the splosion man theme is, and he responded he was literally just talking about it and it will be in play testing tomorrow or wednesday.
    That's funny! I was bugging him about it on IM earlier today.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And here's the video for the XBLA game theme. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Song

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I liked Short and Sweet on drums because it was very different from prett much all the other charts. I liked the focus on the snare pattern with all the accents, you can really put some flare into it.

And Z0mb1es gets pretty crazy in the middle there. Probably still gonna pick that one up despite it.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If we're going to start seeing more video game music in RB or RBN, I really wish someone from Konami, Capcom, Nintendo, etc. would make a deal with the Minibosses so their covers could be released on RBN. I mean, Contra? Metroid? Castlevania? Mega Man? It would sell well enough to justify the effort, I'm sure.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com