As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Might and Magic Heroes VI announced (thats actually the title)

SkabSkab Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looks mighty sexy (especially the trailer).

Let's hope that the story is actually coherent and consistent this time and that the cinematic cut scenes are done with some manner of style instead of just planting 2 animations next to each other with some VO dialog. Man, that got boring pretty fast in HOMM V.

While people are somewhat still torn over HOMM 3 and HOMM 4, I still believe that HOMM 4 had the best story of all the HOMM games so far. The combination of play and story and immersion of the story is so great that I keep reinstalling HOMM 4 just to read story again and again.

Also, here's to hoping that Academy (wizards) won't be overpowered like the last couple of games :P

Yogo on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This game is my guilty pleasure,1 and 2 were just so completely awesome. 3 was awesome if a bit cluttered with the additions, 4 was abysmal (never got into the story though so no clue there), and 5 seemed like a return to awesome.

I can't wait to see 6 now. I get the feeling the campaigns will take like a year to complete.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay, that was a sexy trailer.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Too bad it's being published by Ubisoft. They'll probably try and put some stupid fucking DRM on it and I won't buy it, even though I'd really like to buy it. :(

edit: by the way, I'm still really excited about this because I loved HoMM 2 and 5 and this looks really awesome. I'm just not going to get my hopes up until I find out what the situation is regarding any possible DRM.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Let's also hope the gameplay extends beyond the exact same battlefield every single time. At least HoMM3 had a hex-grid.

I also got bored with the overworld maps in 5. They were pretty, but very little actually did anything dynamic (unlike 3, which were incredibly diverse).

Minor quibbles. HoMM3 and HoMM5 were good, but the technology exists for a more "tactical" experience than those. Let's hope HoMM6 is the answer.

Edit: the only good thing about 4 was the class system that changed based on your skills.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Let's also hope the gameplay extends beyond the exact same battlefield every single time. At least HoMM3 had a hex-grid.

From the Kotaku article i linked in the OP:
    The battles themselves will have more variety this time around. Tides will slowly rise on some battlefields, changing the area as the match goes on. Differing goals, including defending objects and killing specific units will abound.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Who is making this? Like I know Ubisoft is the publisher as has been previously discussed. But who is the dev team this time?

Also, I dislike the name change. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to consistency.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Who is making this? Like I know Ubisoft is the publisher as has been previously discussed. But who is the dev team this time?

Also, I dislike the name change. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to consistency.

Black Hole Entertainment

Its right there at the start of the trailer.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Awesome, are they the same devs as the ones from HoMM5? The new title is weird.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Nope. 5 was made by Nival.

Apparently the new name tweak is because of the new RPG elements. Again, from the Kotaku article
    I sat in on a brief demo of the game at GamesCom yesterday, and the impression I came away with was that this is the classic strategy game with a stronger focus on role-playing than ever before, hence the slight name change.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HamareHamare Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    damn, that's some purty foliage they got there! Hopefully it won't be buggy!

Hamare on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

They've also got a free-to-play (but pay for extra) web-game called Might & Magic Heroes: Legends, so that would appear to be the brand they're going with.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was so nonplussed with HoMM5 that I really don't give a shit about this. The charm of the series has been long abandoned.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also, fuck them for changing the name, I got my hopes up for a brief moment thinking there was a new Might and Magic title. I mean, sure, IX wasn't very good, but still.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    Also, fuck them for changing the name, I got my hopes up for a brief moment thinking there was a new Might and Magic title. I mean, sure, IX wasn't very good, but still.

Detharin on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    Too bad it's being published by Ubisoft. They'll probably try and put some stupid fucking DRM on it and I won't buy it, even though I'd really like to buy it. :(

edit: by the way, I'm still really excited about this because I loved HoMM 2 and 5 and this looks really awesome. I'm just not going to get my hopes up until I find out what the situation is regarding any possible DRM.

Pretty much this. Plus that itch has been pretty much scratched by the recent king's bounty games.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png