As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC/IC - 4E DnD] Dark Prophecy

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    TSI, you are a macro GOD amongst men.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, I mentioned this to Rysk earlier but can't remember if I specified it to everyone else but the magical item rewards are based on who wins (sort of). So it's more than likely to be somewhat useful. So it won't be a weapon/armor whatever you can't use at least relatively well. Also the first prize is not a rare, because all the low level rares are actually not great. So it will just be an uncommon.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Remember the game is tomorrow (or is it today yet for you guys? I dunno! I am excited!)!!!!

Also, I will totally do the worst possible job playing you in the race if it is left up to me.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    SulemanSuleman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Welp, apparently I forgot to save my token after the last session, so I still won't have a complete token with macros and such. I can probably improvise!

Suleman on
    A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with four hundred billion suns, the rising of the Milky Way.
    "I'm sure he's fighting for his freedom or to prove he's not a worthless abomination. Unfortunately, he's wrong."
  • Options
    TSI|AwesomeTSI|Awesome Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Suleman wrote: »
    Welp, apparently I forgot to save my token after the last session, so I still won't have a complete token with macros and such. I can probably improvise!

Aegeri keeps copies of all the tokens in his campaign files.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sorry about being late, my internet was down for a while this morning! Only just got online!

Edit: Where for art thou Terrendos?!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Suleman wrote: »

Aegeri keeps copies of all the tokens in his campaign files.

Also, I save all your tokens into my library every now and again. Then I zip them up and store them on my gmail. Your characters are quite safe so long as you keep a backup as well. I know how much work it is to fully macro a PC: Especially at high levels.

Suleman asked at the end of the session, but you will have plenty of time to do stuff in town and similar once you clear it of the deadly insects that are rampaging around town. If you are wondering where the town square is, the wedding was outside on a hill with a gazebo overlooking it and so if you think about the race (that you went through initially) the town square is where the Market is. So you're effectively needing to race back through the city: Obviously without as many people and more horrible bugs.

Also I remember that Tybalt made an insight check on Javalanoss, but was completely unable to read her features. She gives you more than a slight creepy feeling.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    By the way: I finished leveling my character and my token is pretty much done, macros and all. I based them heavily on TSI's designs, but I noticed he didn't have the LevelBonus at every place it should have been. I might be wrong, though. You might want to check your stats when leveling, TSI.

I might get my hands on Essentials soon, so if I find anything in there, I might ask Aegeri about whether I could use that stuff. IIRC, there is an Assassin class in Essentials, but I dunno how different it is.

EDIT: Welp. No, completely different class.

Suleman on
    A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with four hundred billion suns, the rising of the Milky Way.
    "I'm sure he's fighting for his freedom or to prove he's not a worthless abomination. Unfortunately, he's wrong."
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanks Suleman!

Also, Rysk: Um...remember how in the game we talked about Divine Challenge's errata? As far as I know, the errata that existed disappeared. You may have well been right, but then the article discussing errata just dissapeared. Weird. I dont suppose someone just randomly saves WoTC articles and errata?

EDIT: Looking over the material, it looks like the entirety of the November Errata has simply ceased to exist. The rules update page only lists up to october.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If it's not available and there is no listed errata, that makes me right clearly.

:D

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    If it's not available and there is no listed errata, that makes me right clearly.

Kind of? The existing rules DEFINITELY disagree with you. And I don't remember enough of the errata's wording to judge if you're actually right.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    REG Rysk wrote: »

Kind of? The existing rules DEFINITELY disagree with you. And I don't remember enough of the errata's wording to judge if you're actually right.

EDIT: AHA! Found it. It still has the engagement clause. It *did* remove the clause about how you can't use it next turn if you fail to engage though. It's not linked on the content calendar, and it was hard finding a direct link. http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/20101105

EDIT2: ...Reading CharOp leads to interesting things sometimes. The Summon Celestial Steed power has a level, and is listed as a utility power. Sure, its level 4, but the rules for taking powers isn't "Take a power of this level." It's "Take a power of this level or lower." Weird. I'm definitely looking forward to see the compiled version of this power. After giving it a look over, it doesn't even seem that overpowered, since I can't take the upgrade feats that make it better, instead it just being a standard(but solid) mount the entire game. The power is in this article:
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/drcact/20101112

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Here is the relevant text:
    You mark the target. The mark lasts until you use this power again. The mark also ends at the end of your turn if you didn’t engage the target, meaning you neither attacked it during your turn nor are adjacent to it at the end of your turn. Until the mark ends, the target takes radiant damage the first time each round when it targets any of your allies with an attack power that doesn’t include you as a target. The damage equals 3 + your Charisma modifier.

And yes, it is odd that it requires an action to mark and actually will end if you do not consistently attack/engage the target. At the same time it has some really strong advantages, like dealing radiant damage and that it occurs when the marked creature targets an ally (which is even better than an attack in many ways).

Edit: Also, what magic items did Walker and Ryske take, so I can fill things in on the treasure table.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Here is the relevant text:
    You mark the target. The mark lasts until you use this power again. The mark also ends at the end of your turn if you didn’t engage the target, meaning you neither attacked it during your turn nor are adjacent to it at the end of your turn. Until the mark ends, the target takes radiant damage the first time each round when it targets any of your allies with an attack power that doesn’t include you as a target. The damage equals 3 + your Charisma modifier.

And yes, it is odd that it requires an action to mark and actually will end if you do not consistently attack/engage the target. At the same time it has some really strong advantages, like dealing radiant damage and that it occurs when the marked creature targets an ally (which is even better than an attack in many ways).

Edit: Also, what magic items did Walker and Ryske take, so I can fill things in on the treasure table.

Do I just get 70 gold, or was there a potion or something too?

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You got a healing potion as well.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Game Update

So here is the general world map for this game, though it's obviously just a piece of larger Khorvaire.

DarkProphecyMap.png

Features: I have retconned the city here to New Cyre, which actually I didn't realize was a place on the map. New Cyre is a good name though and the description/village size is perfect for this game. So there is no significant change here to anything important. New Cyre is near the border with Thrane (to the north) and to the east is the Mournland. Central Breland is further to the east of New Cyre and so this is where a lot of refugees and survivors from the Mourning two years ago ended up settling.

If you have questions about places on the map, please feel free to ask and I'll give you more details. Sharn, if you're wondering is further to the South East on the map, nearer to the coast.

Noting that this map omits an important detail on the Thrane/Breland border. Thrane and Breland share a border along Lake Brey and across the Brey river (up to where the Mournland is). You should bear this in mind: It's actually going to be pretty important. Travel in Eberron isn't like other settings, everyone is obscenely paranoid and groups of adventurers running around are even more cause for paranoia. Getting over borders isn't as easy as just rocking up to them and expecting easy access.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Wizards of the Coast is clearly mocking me. It would be one thing if they had just casually left the Level for the Call Celestial Steed article there, and just kept the article exactly the same. But no, the article is heavily modified. It's missing a lot of feats offered for mount options, and moreover, the feats the previously required Cavalier now only require the actual power. It's like WotC knows i think this horse is amazing, dangling it before me, taunting me to take it, before they pull another Reaper's Touch and pull it out of my grasp again. You horrible devils.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Game is totally on and such forth. Suleman could you give me your email or something, so I can contact you when the forums explode or similar circumstances. Quite frustrating!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hey guys. I know you were thinking about how to deal with infusions with macros. I know you don't really like working with my macro...so I completely rewrote it, and added in more functionality and an easier to use interface. Check it out:
    [H: input(
        "Type|Surge Healing, Free Healing, Damage, Temporary HP|Type|RADIO|ORIENT=H VALUE=STRING",
        "Surge|0|Add Surge Value|CHECK",
        "Amount"
    )]

[h:Amount=Amount+SurgeValue*Surge]

[if(Type=="Surge Healing"), code: 
    {
    [H:HP = min((max(HP,0)) +Amount,MaxHP)]
    [H:state.Bloodied=If(HP<=Bloodied,1,0)] [H:SurgeRemaining= SurgeRemaining-1] [H:state.Dying=If(HP<1,1,0)] <font color=green>[Amount]</font> hitpoints Gained! <font color=red>[SurgeRemaining]</font> healing surges remaining.
    };{}]
    [if(Type=="Free Healing"), code: 
    {
    [H:HP = min((max(HP,0)) +Amount,MaxHP)] [H:state.Bloodied=If(HP<=Bloodied,1,0)] [H:state.Dying=If(HP<1,1,0)] <font color=green>[Amount]</font> hitpoints Gained! 
    };{}]
    [if(Type=="Damage"), code: 
    {
    [H:TempHP=(TempHP-Amount)] [H:HP=if(TempHP<0,(HP+TempHP),HP)] [H:TempHP=if(TempHP<0,0,TempHP)] [H:state.Bloodied=If(HP<=Bloodied,1,0)] [H:state.Dying=If(HP<1,1,0)] [H:state.Prone=If(state.Prone==1,1,(if(HP<1,1,0)))] [H:state.Dead=if(HP<-Bloodied,1,0)] <b><font color=red>[Amount]</font></b> damage taken!<br>
    };{}]
    [if(Type=="Temporary HP"), code:
    {
    [h:TempHP = max(TempHP, Amount)]
    <font color=gray>[Amount]</font> temporary hitpoints gained!
    };{}]

Basically, surge healing spends a surge, free healing doesn't, damage deals damage, and temporary hp gives temporary hp. Add surge value is for when spending surges doesn't use your surge value(like potions), when free healing does add your surge value(like infusions), or when something gives your healing surge value in temporary hitpoints! I think this is way more intuitive and logical than my previous code, so try it out. If you have any questions or suggestions, shoot.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm sorry, man, but sometimes having separate macros for things is just better. I prefer being able to just click one button rather filling a questionnaire every time I want to change my character's HP situation.

Suleman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That's fair, but in contrast, to fill the same functions as *one* button here, you'd need roughly ~6-7. I found when I did that level of granulation for every single button, I wasn't able to find anything or keep track of anything very easily. This became more obvious to me the more levels my characters gained, because you need more and more functions to handle things, and what you get is a token that's really hard to follow.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Arguably true.

On the other hand, having some sort of middle solution is possible.
    For example: One macro for taking damage, one macro for temporary hp and one or two macros for actual healing (surge/no surge).

The first two ones would just be "How much temp-hp/damage".

That latest macro of yours works fine with the last one. Kinda like so:
    Interface:
    |____________________|

Of course, I haven't actually messed that much with maptools macros. I just don't think taking damage and temporary hp need to be any more complicated than that.
    Of course, some tokens might need special considerations for bloodied and so on, but I haven't thought about that too much.

EDIT: Wow, that came out looking ugly as hell.

Suleman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Incidentally, the Legacy feat:

Village Tonic Experimenter
    This strange tonic restored your constitution and certainly gave you the strength to fight on... but you're not exactly sure you feel quite the same anymore...

What it does is unknown. It is a mystery.

As far as I know, Marhu, Ryske and Walker have all drunk the glorious strange experimental tonic. All three should feel free to add the feat to your character sheet.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I did add it, my next update to orokos should reflect it.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Suleman on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, so turns out there's a post-graduation ceremony for all the engineering students, which begins about half an hour before this game starts.

Expect me to be very late this week, if I show up at all. And possibly (very) drunk, depending on how things go.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's okay, once one of my players in my IRL game had some left-over beer from a party and so he turned up with it. He then proceeded to get hammered during the game.

That was arguably one of my weirdest DMing experiences.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Okay game on tomorrow, hopefully no last minute internet falling over shenanigans D:

Also, I wanted to bring this up but when the first module is done in this campaign (as opposed to the prologue) you will have roughly a month of in game time to yourselves. This means you'll have a fair amount of time to build some things and your characters to take a break. This is done for two reasons:

1) Pacing. Unlike my "normal" way of doing things, I have worked very hard on setting verisimilitude this time. So I don't want events seeming like a never ending crazy roller coaster of strange stuff. I want to actually slowly build up to major events and give you guys time to actually do other random things. This means like in Builder's Cry, it may be important to "reunite" the party if you all go wandering for a while.

2) Storytelling purposes. Certain events happen along this campaign and depending on what you do to influence those things dictates how it turns out. Also need some time to explain how a particular NPC comes back into having "stuff". You can probably guess who I am talking about.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    While this time will be moderately useful to Tybalt, I don't know what NPC you're talking about.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    DUN.

DUN.

DUUUN.

Edit: I felt the need to tell you, that I have begun drawing maps for the campaign. Not just using other peoples, but I have decided to subject you to my cartography.

This should terrify you. It should terrify you to the *very* core of your very being.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    There are now three players in vent, we are missing TSI, Terrendos and Aegeri himself.

What gives?

Suleman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I was resting in bed from taking nighttime anti flu medication and also a minor flu, I guess Aegeri didn't show up at all because he didn' message me, thus justifying my decision to lay in bed. And now I'm going to continue to do so.

TSI|Awesome on
    63.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Okay, so I waited for quite a long time, and I am disappointed that the game didn't happen and I wasn't informed about such things.
    Instead, I spent the time making Walker in Heromachine and I will never, ever, show it to anyone. See what you made me do.

Suleman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    My internet went down again and I just got it back.

So disappointed :(

Edit: PM SENT. If everyone can, I can play tomorrow at the same time we would today - that is if my internet decides to stay up.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I should be available on sunday as my other game at that time was cancelled.

Suleman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You know, I have this feeling someone at the flat knows it is near the end of the year and has literally burned through the cap with massive downloading....

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Apologies, but I told you guys here my chances of appearance were slim, and I was indeed correct.

Tomorrow's no good either, I have a group project to finish up, end of semester and all that. Feel free to play without me, of course.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well, if Ill, Rysk and TSI can come then we probably will. If not, then I can wait until next week. SOMEHOW.

At least I know I will have stable internet >: (

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I could be available, but not sure for how long I will be 100% attentive. It is a Sunday during football season.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm in. Will have to leave slightly early but there's always room for DnD!

illgottengains on