As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC/IC - 4E DnD] Dark Prophecy

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    At the position you are currently at now within this adventure, you will only have maybe a couple of encounters before reaching level 5. So you should think about your level 5 mans. Terrendos, you should make a level 5 Tybalt and send it to me (or give it to me in the Dark Sun game this weekend). My recommendations, after some observation:

Tybalt: You should take the opportunity to train out punishing eye for practically anything. It's seriously rubbish.

Dain: I think you might do well taking both toughness and durable (if you don't already have them). Durable packs more surges so you can afford to bring the companion back during combat - he is getting pretty squished pretty easily. Toughness though will help with an extra 5 HP and improving your resilience - as well as the companions.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I trained it out at one point, but I think somehow you got stuck with an old version of my token. Pretty sure I was using Life-Tapping Darts or something like that.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    :O I've actually got no tokens that have any updated power on them actually. It's always just been the same mans. I save PC tokens quite reliably, so I am sure I would have had it if it was changed.

In any event, Punishing Eye is beyond rubbish and Life-Tapping Darts are decent enough.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    SulemanSuleman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can't stop making Heromachine shit. Before I make design decisions I will regret:
    Aegis, do you have something to say about how Andraos should look or should I improvise based on his equipment and token?
    Regardless of what you'll say, I will post Andraos's picture tomorrow. Now is your chance to influence me before I ruin your character forever.

Suleman on
    A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with four hundred billion suns, the rising of the Milky Way.
    "I'm sure he's fighting for his freedom or to prove he's not a worthless abomination. Unfortunately, he's wrong."
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've kind of pictured him as a form of Arabic-influenced, long dark flowing-hair Khalashtar wielding a khopesh.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well, I tried my best to make him according to those specifications, but I also wanted to give it my own flavor, you know? So here's Andraos.

Andraossopretty.png

Nah, just messing with you, here's the real thing.

AndraosKopesh.png

Illgottengains! It is your and Dain's turn to face the Heromachine crucible! Tell me about what Dain is supposed to look like!

Suleman on
    A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with four hundred billion suns, the rising of the Milky Way.
    "I'm sure he's fighting for his freedom or to prove he's not a worthless abomination. Unfortunately, he's wrong."
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Looks like due to absences this week and next week, that we won't be playing until a wee while in future. So until then rest assured that I will be firmly busy working on horrible ways to mangle your characters and kill all of you.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Isn't that what you would normally do anyway?

illgottengains on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Aegeri, do recall I will be here for part of Easter weekend, but will probably need to leave early for a hockey tournament.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I know, it's actually not that but a couple of others won't be around (Terrendos is still doing wedding based shenanigans and Suleman is this weekend as well). At this stage, 3 players is a little too low and there are some important story/adventure elements coming up that would be nice if everyone experiences.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well, to finish things off, here's Dain. Illgottengains didn't give me any tips, so I just had to improvise. Deal with it.
    Unfortunately, Ying Ling didn't turn out terribly well, so Dain will have to do without her for now. There is a fanservice pic of Dain as well, but that went a bit too far even for me, so I won't be posting that.

Dain.png

As a bonus, here's the whole party, arranged by height.
    Grouppicturesmaller.png

Suleman on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    There is only one place for such a picture.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So before I call the game off this weekend, I just want to make sure that we can't make at least 4 players for the session. So if you can come or not, let me know now so I can change things with sufficient time to spare. Otherwise I shall see you all next weekend :)

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I am available.

Suleman on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'll be holding a shotgun to the back of my future brother-in-law, so no, I will be busy this Saturday.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I could dee en dee :D

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    A couple of people cannot make it to the game this weekend, so I will resume the game next weekend then and continue to plot your horrible demise. Also do not think an extra time will mean you will have avoided the Aegeri-is-high-on-sugar encounter design. Because while high on sugar in my fort in the land of my imagination I will still be making this game.

And oh boy the stuff I do while high on sugar...

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just some warning in advance, but I am not going to be able to talk on vent today as I might wake up others in the house. I will be only able to communicate through the magic of text!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So now you've met the Wendigo! Isn't he just delightful? Here are some things that your characters have realized through fighting the thing up front (and some general game mechanics).

1) The Wendigo - as you've realized - cannot be killed. Currently you have no idea how this is accomplished (if it can be done at all). That's somewhat of the point of adventuring!

2) Every time you do kill the abomination it becomes more powerful - basically gaining a level. All of its relevant stats increase when this happens. Certain other things might happen as well, including gaining new powers. It cannot gain more than 1 level in a day - but it can come back as many times as it likes in a single day (albeit it takes longer to reform each time it is killed).

3) It will only appears in certain places and you will *always* be given clues as to where it might be. The presence of the Wendigo in the last session was the snap frozen trees and especially painful cold.

4) Other than being killed, the creature can become more powerful simply by the passage of time but this is *much* slower than killing it. Consider your decisions carefully with regards to killing it or avoiding it! One thing to note is that the Wendigo will not gain a level from time if you killed it that day (this is to avoid being "double punished"). In effect it will grow in power from being defeated in battle or by letting too much time pass. These two things won't stack though. Bear in mind that killing it will make it gain levels substantially faster than letting time pass. Not that you want to let too much time pass ...

I will write more on the logic behind this creatures design in my session notes. But there are a few things that are worth mentioning I want to emphasize. The first is that you should be obscenely paranoid of the wendigo, but realize that it is a *really* uncommon foe and won't just pop up under every rock possible. He won't turn up very often at all and he can often be encountered by himself. This lets me explore some very different "design" space in the game and how you real with your encounters with it has a strong effect on this module. The point is to build tension and make you wonder "Where is the Wendigo? Whose shit is he currently ruining?", while keeping a close eye on the clock. I will say the creep of the ever increasing cold and the wendigo are directly linked to one another.

There shall be more next week once you hear the Legend of the Wendigo fully.

Retcon: As you've already encountered the lesser wendigo spirit hunter, I've changed a few of its powers. Your characters would recognize and know these in advance (so this doesn't feel like I'm springing a new monster on you).

1) The invisible trait is just too much of a pain in the ass to track for minions. It seemed like a good idea at first, but it's just not going to work well and so I have altered it. Spirit Hunters now gain concealment whenever there are no enemies within 5 squares at the end of their turn. They can hide only using concealment instead of total concealment, which is usually used to make a bite attack while hidden. The effect is still called the same, but less effort for me to remember and keep track of. The other wendigo's beyond sight ability works as normal.

2) Their shift effect damage is now 2 cold damage and not 5. This is to bring their damage into more consistent levels for a minion. It is still an effect.

This makes them much less effort for me to run, especially because there can be quite a few of them... to say the least.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hey guys, guess what? To celebrate Easter, I decided to have our favorite dead people visit. Here are the three heroes who have fallen during this adventure of ours.

First up is the first to die, Walker. His leg might not have been quite this bad, but it gives you a pretty good idea.

Walker4.jpg

Then comes Marhu, who is not a dragonborn.

Marhu4.png

Then we have Squinter, who brought a friend.

Squinter.png

Finally, here is a big group shot of the whole gang, dead and living both.

th_DarkProphesy.png

Here's hoping you like them, because it took me some time to make these.

EDIT:

So since Marhu has retired from adventuring, he decided to return to his greatest passion.

Marhugroovy2.png

Suleman on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I will add the dead characters to the OP in their own section as well.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm confused, the fire is on Marhu's halberd and not coming out of his mouth...

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's fairly likely that I won't be available this saturday. It's party time all over Finland, and I might be obligated to take part.

Suleman on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I didn't know that Finland cared so much about the Royal Wedding. That's why I can't be there Saturday.
    I'm going to be there this weekend.
    I'm not going to be there this weekend.
    Not really.
    Really really.
    Nope.
    The Royal Family is dumb.
    God save the queen.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I just realized that I might actually have to leave a bit early tomorrow. I'm taking a friend out to dinner for his birthday and I'll need to leave around 5:30 PM EST to do so. For those of you in bizarre time zones, that's about 4.5 hours after the game starts.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I am just letting you know that I am terribly ill, but I will still be there. We won't be going a whole session though, it may only be a couple of encounters or so. I'll see what happens at the time! We are still going to be playing though, because I am absolutely determined to do so.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So I am pretty much stuffed now with horrible disease and such. We are going to play tonight, but I'm only going to do a couple of encounters or so (as getting up at my 3am time is going to drain me to say the least). You will be level 5 definitely by the end of this session though, no matter what happens.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So I picked Rage Of The Crimson Hurricane as Hajan's level 5 power, but it hits all enemies in close burst 1. I don't have experience coding multi-target macroes, so could someone give me a hand with that?

Suleman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Inside teh spoiler is the coding for my AoE attack. Make a few little changes to it and you should be good.
    <b>Grasping Tide:</b> Dain causes a watersprout to whirl between his enemies whipping them with globs of chilly water. <br>
    <b>Attack</b> <font color=red>[c(Area_Burst_1,".."):1d20+ATK2]</font> vs Fort, [20+ATK2] is a crit.<br>
    <b>Hit:</b><font color=blue> [1d6+WISMOD+DAM2]</font> <font color = "Red"><b>Cold</b></font> damage, [6+WISMOD+DAM2+DAMCRIT2] on a crit.<br>
    <b> Effect </b> If the target leaves the area of of effect, you can use an OA to make a secondary attack against it.

Also. Thanks for running the game even though you aren't feeling well, Aegeri. You're a real trooper.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thank you very much. I forget, are area attacks supposed to deal the same damage to everyone? Because your power does that.

Suleman on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Area and Close Bursts are Multiple Attack Rolls but a Single Damage Roll, yes.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So themes are coming out this month! That's exciting and about god damned time as well! As soon as the various themes are available, you will be able to immediately retroactively take one for your character. Here is the list of upcoming themes:

alchemist
    animal master
    apprentice
    chevalier
    explorer
    guardian
    guttersnipe
    hospitaler
    mercenary
    noble
    ordained priest
    order adept
    outlaw
    seer
    scholar

I am quite happy this is happening and look forward to having them in the game. I will update your characters with your theme once you take one. As mentioned, you can take a theme as soon as it is released in Dragon.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I wonder, at what part of the month does the magazine usually appear?

Suleman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I might be an hour or so late on Saturday, I have a doctor's appointment. Feel free to start without me.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Doctor's appt. rescheduled. I'll be there on time.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hooray! I am much less diseased now so there shouldn't be any problems with DnD!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Game is off tomorrow, sorry for the late notice! There is some explanation via PM! My apologies again.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I have been working away on a new area map for the game over the past couple of days. It is looking really good using some simple techniques! I am actually quite proud of this effort, even if it is simplistic but it captures the feel of the area MUCH better than the maptools map.

The map in maptools will be updated and the tokens placed on this map instead. I think you'll find the result is a lot better than what I had previously.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So I am going to update the houserules soon with more stuff before the game. There is nothing really major. We are going to have to wait until all the themes are out before we take those sorry, because currently they are adding some major rules headaches. I am going to have to sort through this before they are legal I am afraid.

At the moment, Seer is the first one that I will now directly house rule. The checks can be used only on the first three attack or saving throw rolls. The trivial clause is basically going to be identical to bag of rats: You can't just try to at-will your allies, or furniture or squares for example when I write it up (so I'm just using the existing rules). Otherwise the theme will work as it is written. This is really for clarity and so that I don't have to constantly rule on if a monster knowledge check was a trivial waste or a genuine action. Or things like jumping a square or checking bushes for invisible pixies. I honestly can't see this theme working without such a rule and this feels considerably more balanced. Although this does rule out numerous skill checks, I think limiting it to attacks and saving throws feels fair enough.

Edit: Also, on thinking about it skills being used in a skill challenge or to disarm a trap should be allowed to? Or am I just making this over complicated now? Attacks and saving throws has a distinct simplicity about it that's easy to understand how it impacts the game. Hmmm. Not sure what to do here.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So I was a little out of it today due to being tired (Hence why I missed things like one creature being half lurker when it shouldn't be, whoops!), so I hope everything was clear and such on the whole wendigo thing. In any event, I'm going to write out the whole legend of the wendigo (the actual story) in the thread for you. I'll also give the a clearer rundown of what Zamhareer and Haerag told you on how to finally defeat the wendigo.

Otherwise sleep and then burfday time for me. Hooray!

Aegeri on