As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC/IC - 4E DnD] The Builders Cry

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't think iliketrain has his internet today, so we are leaderless! Hopefully Terrendos gets back home soon. Waiting on the vent!

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Soon there will be DnD again, but I don't have my internet up and running at home until probably next week. I will keep you informed, but moving has been expensive and so that has pushed getting internet/landline down a bit. Rest assured though I have not forgot about anything and have been contemplating new ways to kill you all horribly for the past 3 weeks.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I.

LIVE.

AGAIN!!!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    iliketrainiliketrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Welcome back, you have been missed.
    Although u are now an aussie!
    Traitor!

iliketrain on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I am so looking forward to killi- playing with you tomorrow. Also I can tell you something, after experiencing a few 40 degree days here in Australia I have a deeper appreciation for the harsh sun of Athas than I did before.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Just as a warning, if I suddenly disappear in the game for no reason it is very likely my computer will have bluescreened of doom. It seems it is rapidly coming to an end and I think my patience with it is about to wear off. I will probably look to be getting a new computer in future, because this is honestly very ridiculous.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hi guys, I am Danny who will be joining your game tomorrow, here is my character sheet atm if people are interested.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=268562

iliketrain on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you took Weapon Expertise in a different weapon group from the Weapon Proficiency feat you took?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    thats a very good question, to be honest, its been over a month since i made my character and I now cannot remember anything about it :D, i will talk to Aegeri about it before the game.

iliketrain on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh Dannah, you and your shenanigans. I'm pretty sure I have it all in my CB and we can correct it later.

Todays session will be a little short as I have an interview this afternoon! So we'll probably play for around 2 - 2:30 hours or so. Sorry about that, but employers demand their schedules :O

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Can you put the server up early, perhaps?

Rius on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I could indeed, I am on vent right now.

Server is now up.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    As per the new usual, I won't get out of work until around 7 (so another 45 minutes). I'll get home ASAP but I'll probably still be late. If so, and you need to command Initiate, remember a few things:

1. His left hand only shoots fire.
    2. His right hand also only shoots fire.
    3. Dodongo dislikes smoke.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    :O It's alright, I think today will just be some getting to know people roleplaying with introducing the new character (plus another event or so). I'll also have to work out what he has done lol.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    come on facebook aegeri

iliketrain on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The fullblade is a hold over, it should be replaced with Weapon Proficiency: Gouge.

The power Karmic Bond isn't the power you have, it's gone and replaced with Heroic Effort (The "new" human racial power).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys, I made a huge mistake and downloaded b84 of maptools. Like before it has grabbed BOTh campaign files somehow (even without being opened in it) and now I need it to open them. So make sure you grab the new version of maptools before the game this weekend. Sorry about that, I have no idea how it pulls it off!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Looks like Something Awful reversed their forum policy, or whatever; the CB thread is visible again.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Remember to download beta 84 before the game if possible. I still can't figure out how when I download a new build it manages to grab all campaign files even if they haven't been opened in it.

Infuriating.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't understand why you were downloading it in the first place.

I'll be leaving work in a minute here, hopefully I won't miss much.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The list below is all the current houserules I have implemented. Pretty much everything you've seen before and I actually just removed a few things.

Free actions (Problematic and subject to change!)
    Free actions at the moment will generally act like immediate reactions to whatever triggered them. Noting the normal rules for immediate actions apply - this does mean they can interrupt multiple attacks though, which is already explicitly something immediate reactions can do. I felt the need to point that clarification out. There are issues with this ruling, because some free actions are actually non-functional as working like immediate interrupts. I haven't thought of a good and clear solution to this yet. So expect this to be updated once I've read a variety of opinions and tried a few things.

Right now a potential rule is that free actions on your own turn are immediate interrupts. For example wand of accuracy can "interrupt" the normal attack order and boost the attack roll at any point - as an immediate reaction you'll realize that wand of accuracy can't work like this. Free actions outside of your turn function like immediate reactions. They need to wait for whatever triggered them to resolve. In either case, a creatures immediate interrupt takes precedence over a free action immediate action, and an immediate reaction beats a free action. In other words, immediate actions are ALWAYS superior to a free action and will always beat their respective free action when reacting to a trigger.

This is just a temporary rule and feedback is more than appreciated. Noting that this ironically is very similar to what wizards came up with.
    Free Action Attacks
    Class features that grant attacks, like power strike, rage strike and similar do not count against your 1/turn free action attack restriction. Because that is just silly.
    Hindering Terrain, Zones and automatic damage effects and saving throws
    Hindering Terrain, zones and other things and saves.

So I have been thinking about this for some time now, as it comes up from time to time and I've decided to change my ruling on how terrain, zones and similar work and interact with the saving throw for hindering terrain. After a lot of thought, this is how such things will work in my games from now onwards (This applies to both monsters and PCs - noting that lethal terrain rules are different for PCs than monsters. PCs if they would be killed automatically by say a ridiculous fall of 800+ feet or a black hole of doom terrain feature, get 3 saves - exactly like death saving throws and not a "save or die", which is stupid and not fun for PCs).
    When do you get a saving throw?

You get a saving throw any time forced movement would send you into terrain, hazardous zones, traps or similar effects that cause automatic damage or status effects. For example, if you are pushed into a Wall of Fire, you get a saving throw to fall prone at the edge of the Wall before being pushed into it. This is because the wall of fire does automatic damage on the forced movement, so will count as hindering terrain despite being a power. A giant pit will count as well and this is similar for any situation where you are falling off a ledge.

You get multiple saving throws as well for every time you are moved in and out of a dangerous terrain feature, trap or zone. For example you are slid 10 squares into a wall of fire, you fail your save and are slid in to take damage. The power slides you out of the zone and then back in, you get a second save to avoid being forced into the terrain again. As soon as you save you are knocked prone at the edge of the hazard and you cannot be moved any further.

Another example, you are slid into a pool of acid that inflicts 1d8+8 acid damage (I'm making this up off the top of my head btw) on entering a square. You get a save. If you fail and are slid into a second square, if that ALSO inflicts damage you get another save and so on until you save. If you make a save you fall prone in the acid (which isn't probably the best resolution) and go no further. This is an example where every square of movement in the terrain does damage - you get a save for every square of movement that would inflict damage. Noting that if you are pushed 12 into a zone/terrain feature that doesn't do more damage for every square you move if you fail the initial save you can be moved where-ever the creature that did it wants.
    Examples

A pit trap that has been exposed and is now a 10 foot deep pit. You get a save before falling in.

A ledge with a long fall.

A wall of fire after the wall has been created (As it inflicts damage when you enter it).

A zone that inflicts automatic damage when you enter the zone.

A river of lava.

Falling into a lake of acid.

Essentially: Will this inflict automatic damage or damage without an attack roll when you enter it? Then it counts as hindering terrain and you get a saving throw.
    When don't you get a saving throw?

Monster auras are specifically excluded from this, as well as powers that make a conjuration such as a Flaming sphere (the damage is inflicted on your turn). In the case of a monsters Aura, it never grants a saving throw and in the case of powers, if they do not inflict damage at the time your movement is forced you don't get a saving throw. For example the hidden pit trap above before it is triggered doesn't grant a saving throw, because when the trap is triggered the attack against your reflex is the saving throw. Any trap, zone or terrain that requires an attack roll when you enter it does not grant a saving throw - your "saving throw" is the attack against whatever defense it is attacking. This means you cannot save when being pushed into a zone like grease, that makes an attack against your defense but you will get a saving throw when pushed into a trap/zone that does automatic damage when you are forced into it (Like an exposed pit trap's falling damage or a Wall of Fire).
    Examples

A hidden pit trap that will make an attack against your defense upon entering - but after it is exposed see above.

A trap with a non-damaging trigger (like a pressure plate or similar - unless the traps activation would inflict automatic damage and you were aware of the trap).

A zone that inflicts automatic damage at the beginning of your turn, but not when you are pushed into it. Similarly, you get no save if you are pushed into the zone or terrain and it has to attack you for its effect.

Terrain, zones and powers that do not inflict damage when you enter them. This never grants a saving throw, so if a zone would damage you at the beginning of your turn it won't grant a save. The ruling here is meant to deal with stacking large amounts of automatic unpreventable damage with forced movement, for example a shift 12 power that lets you move a monster (Or PC for that matter) through a Wall of fire multiple times stacking up huge amounts of automatic damage. Or pushing something into and out of a zone multiple times that does damage for every square of movement the creature is pushed/slid/pulled through. Similarly for a terrain features that deal damage on entry like a puddle of acid, brimstone hail and a howling wind (all examples from my two current games).

Auras - Special example as a monsters aura never concedes a saving throw. It's an exception.
    Summary

Do I get a saving throw?

A) Does it inflict automatic damage without an attack roll on entry or being moved next to it?

B) Is it a terrain feature, a zone, a conjuration or a trap?

If both are yes, then the answer is yes.
    Lethal Terrain
    Purpose: This is a new terrain type I've made for 4E. It's definition is any terrain that would instantly kill or remove a creature from combat straight away. It actually doesn't affect monsters beyond solos, but it primarily affects PCs. An example of lethal terrain would be an obscenely high drop - EG thousands of feet. This either outright kills a PC or removes them from the fight entirely - neither is very fun!

Effect: PCs and solo monsters - but nobody else unless specified - always have three saving throws before being affected by "lethal" terrain. The example of the drop indicates first a failure to catch yourself before falling, then you end up just "hanging" off the edge. You can take no other actions while in this state except a saving throw. Unlike death saving throws, any successful save means you climb back up, crawl out of whatever it was you were caught in or similar. If you fail three saving throws you're affected by whatever the lethal terrain is and horribly mangled/fall to your doom whatever.

Solo monsters also get the same protection if this is ever actually required (probably rarely).
    Levels and Extended Rests
    Basically when you level up you automatically get the benefit of an extended rest with it (though this sets any gained action points to 1). This is to keep on adventuring through those long dungeons, even if it seems a bit video gamish. I just like doing this. So there.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    For the sake of complete certainty, tonight's game starts in roughly 5.5 hours, correct? That's what Daylight Savings Time has done to us.

If it starts sooner than that, it won't make any difference because I won't be home sooner than 5.5 hours from now anyway.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It starts at the regular time for all you guys. The only players whose time I will change are mine (I get up earlier) and iliketrain (who similarly, has to appear earlier :O). In any event I am online well ahead of the game so no matter what time the game starts, I will be there.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Gift of Fire
    Elemental Blessing (takes your tattoo slot)
    Property: You gain resist 5 fire.
    Power (Daily * Fire): Minor Action. Fire erupts from one weapon you are wielding. Until the end of your next turn, attacks made with that weapon deal 1d6 extra fire damage.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So I have recently coded up a way for psionic characters to get a macro that will ask for how much you are augmenting a power, then appropriately roll the damage and such for it. It even subtracts the amount of PP from whatever you have!

This is the code. Here I've copied the Ardents energizing strike power from the Builder's Cry. You can see how the power works from this - simply find and replace the relative bits and pieces. When using this macro, it's important once you get to higher levels to use the precise augment values. So if you have an augment 4 power, make sure you change the case to 0_2_4 and appropriately modify the action.

So an augment 4 power should be [if(action==4), code: etc.

This means it only asks you once about what augment you are using and then will subtract the relative amount of power points used.
    <b><font color = green>Energizing Strike</font></b><br>
    <i>Description</i><br>
    [H:Action=Augment_0_1_2]
    [if(Action==0), code:
    {
    <b>Reach 1; Standard Action</b><br>
    <b>[T("Attack:"):Attack=1d20]</b> [floor(Attack+ATK1+BONUS)] vs AC<br>
    <b>[T("Hit:"):dam=If(Attack==20,DAMMAX1+DAM2,DAM1)]</b> <font color=[R:if(Attack==20,"red","")]>[dam] damage, and one ally within 5 squares of Alek regains [CHAMOD+levelbonus] temporary HP.
    };{}]
    [if(Action==1), code:
    {
    <b>Power Points Spent:</b> [PPUse=1] [h:PP=PP-PPUse] <b>PP:</b> [PP]/[MaxPP]<br>
    <b>[T("Hit:"):dam=If(Attack==20,DAMMAX1+DAM2,DAM1)]</b> <font color=[R:if(Attack==20,"red","")]>[dam] damage, and one dying ally within 5 squares of Alek regains [CHAMOD] HP.
    };{}]
    [if(Action==2), code:
    {
    <b>Power Points Spent:</b> [PPUse=2] [h:PP=PP-PPUse] <b>PP:</b> [PP]/[MaxPP]<br>
    <b>[T("Hit:"):dam=If(Attack==20,DAMMAX1+DAMMAX1+DAM2,DAM1+DAMWEAP1)]</b> <font color=[R:if(Attack==20,"red","")]>[dam] damage, and one ally within 5 squares of Alek may spend a healing surge.
    };{}]

This code was - as 99% of my code comes from - for a monster, notably the beholder eye of chaos who uses an entirely random eye ray power. That power worked by rolling a d6, then whatever the result was it ran the resulting code for the damage and effect. Turns out that's exactly what is needed for psionic characters.

Best of all this code does not like to crash maptools. EVERYBODY WINS!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I...I saw multiple "if" statements and blacked out ... When I came to, this was on my screen. :shrug:
    [h:status=input(
        "junkVar|Energizing Strike|Selected Power|LABEL",
        "targetName|Target|Target's Designation",
        "Augment|None, 1PP, 2PP|Augmentation|LIST|SELECT=0 VALUE=STRING")]
    [h:abort(status)]
    <b><font color = green>Energizing Strike</font></b><br>
    <i>Description</i><br>
    [switch(Augment), code: 
      case "None":
      {
        <b>[T("Attack:"):Attack=1d20]</b> [floor(Attack+ATK1+BONUS)] vs [r:targetName]&#39;s AC<br>
        <b>[T("Hit:"):dam=If(Attack==20,DAMMAX1+DAM2,DAM1)]</b> <font color=[R:if(Attack==20,"red","")]>[dam] damage, and one ally within 5 squares of Alek regains [CHAMOD+levelbonus] temporary HP.
      }
      case "1PP": 
      {
        <b>Power Points Spent:</b> [PPUse=1] [h:PP=PP-PPUse] <b>PP:</b> [PP]/[MaxPP]<br>
        <b>[T("Attack:"):Attack=1d20]</b> [floor(Attack+ATK1+BONUS)] vs [r:targetName]&#39;s AC<br>
        <b>[T("Hit:"):dam=If(Attack==20,DAMMAX1+DAM2,DAM1)]</b> <font color=[R:if(Attack==20,"red","")]>[dam] damage, and one dying ally within 5 squares of Alek regains [CHAMOD] HP.
      }
      case "2PP": 
      {
        <b>Power Points Spent:</b> [PPUse=2] [h:PP=PP-PPUse] <b>PP:</b> [PP]/[MaxPP]<br>
        <b>[T("Hit:"):dam=If(Attack==20,DAMMAX1+DAMMAX1+DAM2,DAM1+DAMWEAP1)]</b> <font color=[R:if(Attack==20,"red","")]>[dam] damage, and one ally within 5 squares of Alek may spend a healing surge.
      }
    ]

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I will be here for this coming Friday's game, but I will likely not be here for next Friday's game as I am headed out of town.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Will you have me a character sheet for my OP OCD Rius? :( Your characters name is so lonely without a link.

I asked my other group this and will also ask here, but I am curious how many of you still subscribe to DDI or not. Also, I've noted that nobody has used the reckless breakage rules just yet. Considering how fond certain people are of rolling a 1, I'm surprised this rule hasn't really come up very much.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Can I even use reckless breakage with implement attacks? And I definitely don't want to try it when my only actual melee weapon is my fist.

As for DDi; Yeah I has a sub, but it's set to expire whenever and I'm not renewing it unless WotC starts publishing a "how to work actual magic for reals" self-help guide or something. :P

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You can't use it with your fists or implement attacks, but it's worth while having the odd try at it when rolling a 1 for most others. I'm really bringing it up just to remind everyone that I am actually using the rule.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Huh. I just realised I do actually have one genuine weapon; my sling.
    But I've only rolled to hit with that like three times in the entire campaign....I promise I'll use the rule if it ever comes up though. ;-)

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Updated the OP. I made a ruling on Loadstone Lure and added the removal of Coup de Grace to the houserules.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Waiting in vent Terrendos/Unexpected.

Just out of curiosity Rius, are you going to be taking Ki-Focus expertise? The extra damage vs. bloodied enemies is useful.

Edit: Lord and bugger, I just noticed I got the dreaded "Server is busy" error while sending the game PM. So it means Unexpected might not think there was a game on! Sorry man :( That was just poos.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So after next week, depending on what we get through I'll probably allow you to get to level 6. The reason for this is because you're roughly at the end of this adventure I feel and it's time to advance the game a bit. Largely because the whole thing has been "sequence broken" somewhat with killing the Ssurran leader earlier than I anticipated. Some of the encounters I had planned I think will be much cooler if moved later in the game as well, so I think only a bit more travel related stuff should be between you resolving the caravan situation and the arrival at the Risen City. At the same time the next part of the game (second module) is quite different and now embraces design elements I'm using in my other games (Dark Prophecy and Marauders of the Elemental Chaos primarily). Basically you'll have a sort of "general" objective and then how you achieve that is going to be up to you.

This game of course has some new things I am trying encounter wise and will allow you to "pick" different encounters (how will be revealed). As well as this, some of your decisions are going to become quite relevant and there shall be more explanation as to overall events coming.

And I have not forgot about Three-Fang either.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I would like to warn you that we had the Royal Easter Show here in Australia recently.

I have a lot of chocolate.

The result is that I am totally buzzing on sugar 24/7.

You have been warned.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    okay so

Could someone please explain how the group did a complete 180 from "let's eat the elf lady bwahaha" Disney villain evil to "give her the inix and the weapons and let her go and be sweet and kind gentle souls except against these Thri-Kreen we just allied with?"

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The short version is: Trying to play both ends against the middle ended in a failed bluff check whereupon the 'kreen attacked.

The idea was; get the stuff from the Elves, persuade the 'Kreen to help us run them down and take the Inix etc. back, then blame whoever's left for the original theft. Or the Gulgians if that didn't look likely. This all went a bit sour when the elves let slip some info about why the kreen wanted them dead, and the metal weapons destroyed so badly and went completely south when the 'get help to run them down' bit failed because apparently thri-kreen hunting parties can't track elves with wounded beasts in tow easily enough.

Also I don't feel it was a 180 as much as a reversion to form, AKA path of least resistance/most loot.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Unexpected MonkeyUnexpected Monkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Terrendos wrote: »
    okay so

Could someone please explain how the group did a complete 180 from "let's eat the elf lady bwahaha" Disney villain evil to "give her the inix and the weapons and let her go and be sweet and kind gentle souls except against these Thri-Kreen we just allied with?"

If you want details, I can send you the chatlog from the session. Shoot me a PM with your email.

Unexpected Monkey on