• Options
    MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tadadadada Batman!!!
    tumblr_lo349cktz81qcqas5o1_100.png

Some more strips :(
    tumblr_lnzewvKY3Y1qbmgvk.jpg

tumblr_lnyrpkiF8J1qbmgvk.jpg

I'm working on a strip and I'm extremely proud of it but it's still not done, I'll post it when it's done.

Mabelma on
    Have some time, check out my blog
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I for some unexplainable reason started drawing this little portraits and I actually like a few of them quite a lot. I'm planning to do around 20-25 maybe a few more. I hope you like them and I would love to hear what you have to say about them.
    tumblr_lo349cktz81qcqas5o1_100.pngtumblr_lo52625QgO1qcqas5o1_400.jpgtumblr_lo54sbuNUh1qcqas5o1_400.jpgtumblr_lo687ds2xk1qcqas5o1_400.jpgtumblr_lo6gr9UaJD1qcqas5o1_400.jpg

Mabelma on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    When you draw your comic's characters from the waste up they wear awfully long t-shirts. Like like nighties or dresses. Also, the folds you draw in the blue one do more to distract than to add to the form (since they are the only place where you can see the folds in the entire comic).

Lovin' that batman portrait.
    For your portraits, try using the "flow" setting of your brush instead of "opacity", because it all looks a bit too ghosty and transparant (unless that's what you were going fore, but i found my stuff was too transparent when i started out with just opacity)

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I've noticed the same thing about the comic. I need to fix that, thanks for pointing that out. I'll also start messing around with better placement for the wrinkles and actually make them look good and believable.

Really glad you like that batman. It's the first one and so far the coolest in my opinion. Yeah, I'm using opacity for some reason but they do look ghostly and I don't really like that but I have no idea what flow does, could you help me out and tell me exactly what that does?

Mabelma on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Opacity is the "maximum" you can reach of the colour with that stroke. As if it's drawn on a transparant layer, for just that one stroke.
    Flow dictates the rate at which you fill up the area with colour. Multiple passes over one area? it gets darker (or more red, or more of whatever it is. I like to think opacity is like markers, but flow is like paint.

McGibs's painting tutorial was a real eye-opener for me. Perhaps it also works for you.

I've seen many people just use a 100% to fill out the entire background or to just apply some flat colours to every part, so you don't have to deal with that horribly disorientating white everywere.

Your batman looks beter because it has a more stylised, slightly grpahical approach (due to its flatness). It looks more coherent than "i'm just trying to paint some stuff here"

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yes, I think I understand you. I'll check out that video. Thanks for advice and for linking that up. I'll get to work on a new portrait.

Mabelma on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    drzoidbergcopy.jpg
    Another portrait, another try at painting. I checked out the video and I'm still experimenting with that "style" of painting so if you have any suggestion for a new portrait so I can draw please post it and I'll try my best to do it. Hope you like the new one. I'm liking flow, it feels very "natural".

Mabelma on
  • Options
    Some new arts, hope you like the new stuff.
    First off some facebook ramblings, basically I go around my facebook friends and draw their profile pictures, just trying to capture poses, and basic structures.
    1-2facebookramblings.jpg
    3facebookrambling.jpg

A little Adam West for some weird reason..
    adamwest.jpg

Next up, you have me trying to push features sooo far that they make the character unrecognizable. This experiment is just for fun, seeing how far I can push a feature, not really trying to get a likeness on this ones. Just pushing and pulling for some practice. (I know the Amy Whinehouse image is literally fucked up but trust me with all of my heart I made this image 3 days before she died, it doesn't make it any better seeing as a great actress died but it justifies my actions in some very sick way)
    amywhinehouse.jpg
    cameron.jpg
    JsonSegel.jpg
    LilWayne.jpg
    Mikeandjerry.jpg
    shia.jpg

These pages are from a book I picked up when I went to order "How to Make Webcomics", it's called "Making Faces" by 8fish artists, it's an amazing book with lots of little tips and tricks on making great expressions.
    Makingfaces1-2.jpg
    makingfaces3-4.jpg
    I'm not sure you can see it in that last scan but I started using a light blue coloring pencil for my sketches basic structures and roughs. I can make as many mistakes as I want and they don't transfer into the final pencils, I should have discovered this sooner.

What's next? Oh, I've been studying character design by great artist. You know, just copying and dissecting, and implementing what I learn from all of that. I don't really remember who make each thing but every artist is entitled to their rights, I'm only studying their great character design.
    characterdesignstudy1.jpg
    characterdesing2-3.jpg
    characterdesign4-5.jpg

A few new comics, maybe you'll like them.
    2011-07-11-A-Little-Coffee-Goes-A-Long-Way.jpg
    2011-07-12-Force-Ghost.jpg
    2011-07-15-GTC.jpg
    2011-07-24-Twitter-X-Katsuhiro-Harada.jpg
    2011-07-26-JediBot-reimagening-what-we-think-of-robotS.jpg
    2011-07-29-Our-Business-model.jpg

A new portrait for the 25 portrait thing, I would love to get some suggestions for new ones to draw. All suggestions appreciated and will probably all be drawn.
    frycopy.jpg

Also some pictures from a mural I was working on
    110723_010.jpg
    110723_009.jpg
    110723_008.jpg
    110723_007.jpg
    110723_004.jpg

I'm really sorry for all of this images, I just hope you like anything I posted. I would love to hear any kind of comment or suggestion whatsoever.

One last thing, for some very weird and unexplainable reason I bought myself a website (http://insertcomics.com) to tell you the truth, setting up a website is a lot easier than I thought it was. I'll slowly redesign it to my own personal nice little creature. One second last thing, I recently enrolled myself in a cartooning class, I should be starting mid August hopefully you'll see some major improvement when I start taking those.

• Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    You don't need to post all your images in spoilers.

You also don't need to post such large images! Especially with the new forum design, where the h-scroll doesn't seem to exist. Meaning we can't even see all of your work.

Definitely work on some more anatomy. Even with your exaggerated portraits, you don't seem to have a grasp on some of the structures, or HOW to exaggerate them. And studying anatomy will help would help with the art quality of your webcomic too!

• Options
    I understand. Thanks for the comments, greatly appreciated. I'm going to go study some anatomy, should I do life drawings and gestures or actually study how bones look and interact with each other?

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Both.
    I'm still an amateur, so grain of salt and all that.

Learn anatomy. Muscles, bones, joints, proportion

Learn how to draw in perspective. It's very important. Lots and lots of perspective study. Draw cubes. Lots of cubes. And cylinders. And buildings, and streetscapes. Be adventurous!

Read the tutorial thread. Search for the archive of our moderator, Angel of Bacon's postings and critiques, and read them all. And also his post at the top of this page here. This is an amazing post and I would read it before drawing anything. It's that good.

You want to study form. When you study the shapes, you'll be better able to utilize them in images like your Zoidberg portrait.

Draw from life. Study light and shadow. Be vigilant!

• Options
    Also, with your comic, it looks like you are in the habit of copypasting some stuff. That's a bad idea and you should stop forever.

• Options
    I understand, I'll do that. Thanks for the tips DDV I'll start working on all of those things. I have a question though, were am I copypasting stuff? Which strip?

• Options
    In your comic at the top of this page, it looks like you copied blue shirt guy.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Maybe you misunderstood. You're not copypasting from other places, just within your own comic. It makes for awfully dreadful and sterile sequences when you see the exact same drawings in succession.
    Even when the character's action, the scene and the angle are the same, it just looks dull.
    Also, it looks like you're shading with black and tinting with white in your portraits, it makes for very monotone coloring. Try reading this one from the Q,D&T thread

• Options
    In your comic at the top of this page, it looks like you copied blue shirt guy.
    Yes, now I see what you mean. I thought you were talking about the new comics which is why I was a little confused but thank you, I wont do that again.
    m3nace wrote:
    Maybe you misunderstood. You're not copypasting from other places, just within your own comic. It makes for awfully dreadful and sterile sequences when you see the exact same drawings in succession.
    Even when the character's action, the scene and the angle are the same, it just looks dull.
    Also, it looks like you're shading with black and tinting with white in your portraits, it makes for very monotone coloring. Try reading this one from the Q,D&T thread

I understand, I recently started thumb nailing, my strips first so I can get better and more dynamic angles, and poses. Still experimenting with that but you should noticed a slight improvement in the next few weeks.

Actually yes, I've been shading with black for some reason but thanks for the link, I'll draw a few portraits so I can implement what I learn on the website.

• Options
    *EDIT* This an amazing website m3nace, thanks so much for linking it.

• Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    Mabelma, I really praise your attitude in taking all these critiques well. Thanks for being a positive sport and I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to seeing you apply some new things to your work!

• Options
    Mabelma, I really praise your attitude in taking all these critiques well. Thanks for being a positive sport and I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to seeing you apply some new things to your work!
    Thank you so much for all the great feedback, this is an amazing community and I know that if I practice as much as I possibly can and take the criticism to heart I will be a great artist.

Started doing some anatomical studies, hope I'm going in a good direction with these. They're in blue because for some weird reason I can't seem to find any of my pencils (plus I kinda like the air of practice the blue lines give).
    anatomysketches.jpg
    anatomysketches2.jpg

• Options
    sharksketches.jpg
    Sharking it up? Don't you just love Shark Week? Tons of amazing art is created and you have tons of shows to study from :)

• Options
    stephencolbert.jpg
    I don't even know now a days. Still soaking up that link you gave me M3nace, still need to practice a lot and read it a second time but hopefully you can see some sort of improvement in this little portrait. Not very happy with the face but since it's just practice I'm moving on to something new, Lost a lot of the face when I inked and painted it.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The anatomical studies are looking good. I'd work more on your observational drawings and realism before venturing into caricature, though. If you didn't have the photo next to it, i'm not sure anyone could pick it was meant to be colbert. Successful caricature is about exaggerating and minimising traits that already exist in a person's features. You've done that with the eyebrows and ears, but colbert has a relatively high, square forehead, whereas you've drawn one that is low and narrow. Conversely, his jaw and chin are narrow and not particularly prominent, but you've broadened and exaggerated them. Neither does he have a thick neck. Moreover, behavioural observation is important too - does Colbert often grin with his teeth showing? Not really - he tends more towards the tight-lipped smirk. These are disparate problems with a common cause - lack of attention to seeing what is really there, rather than what you want to be there.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Glad you like them, I need to sit down and do more of them, they take a lot out of me for some reason but I kinda enjoy doing them. If I were to take my sketchbook to the mall and draw a few people at a cafe what suggestions could you give me to capture their essence without looking too much at them? I always end up looking too much and they usually you know, leave cause they think I'm stalking them...

Thank you so much for the critic on the caricature, I often find 2 or 3 things too exaggerate but I end up forgetting about everything else that is going on thus making it not resemble the caricaturee. I will keep my eye open for the next portrait I try to do, maybe look up a few videos on youtube about the subject, hopefully some proper research helps me improve my caricaturism. Do you have any thoughts on the little coloring I did on there? I myself think the colors are a little bland and washed but they feel nicer than any of the previous portraits I tried coloring, maybe I'm actually learning a thing or two.

Mabelma on
  • Options
    sharkandanatomy.jpg
    anatomysketches2-1.jpg

Studying some more. I'm still doubting myself and haven't done any gesture drawings but I will eventually, if you have any tips or anything to help me out with getting the most out of gesture drawing, I would love to hear it. The Hammerhead for some reason
    Still have a few questions that I would really like to hear your opinions on:
    If I were to take my sketchbook to the mall and draw a few people at a cafe what suggestions could you give me to capture their essence without looking too much at them?
    How would I go about doing a successful caricature? How do I improve my 'caricaturist' eye?

• Options
    piratesketches.jpg
    I've been in a sort of Artblock, tomorrow I'll try maybe getting a few pirate sketches going on before I make a full illustration for a friend, hope you like the sketches though, just messing around with the whole random shape into character thing.
    CollabArtfinal.jpg
    Also I guess there's this.
    If I were to take my sketchbook to the mall and draw a few people at a cafe what suggestions could you give me to capture their essence without looking too much at them?
    How would I go about doing a successful caricature? How do I improve my 'caricaturist' eye?

• Options
    Way too many pirates.
    pirates1x.jpg
    pirates2u.jpg

• Options
    Almost a year since my last post but no worries, I have come bearing gifts. I hope to post a little more and improve my art a long with all the great characters in this forum. Hello and can't wait to get some critics, and comments from all of you. Below some new things :)
    ngbbs4fe7b8254eec6.jpg
    Some character design practice, sprouted from crazy silhouettes.
    ngbbs4fe7b88c5f2e5.jpg
    Ohhh, this for a contest over at fiverr.com hoping I win or atleast get a nice little mention.
    ngbbs4fe7b948cf389.png
    A couple of shirt designs that don't make me cringe in disgust.
    ngbbs4fe7b9b093265.jpg
    Recently I started doing an illustration a day using a random prompt from a random website. This is the first illustration, using the prompt "Teeth", not very proud of it, but we gotta start somewhere. Currently I'm working on a new one, I'll post some images of it as it progresses I would love some feedback on that, so if you have anything to say, I would love to hear it :)
    ngbbs4fe7bfccf3323.jpg

Here's what I'm currently working on. Today's illustration, sprouting from the word "Hat". Tell me what you think, any comment, will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    ngbbs4fe7cb1354d21.jpg

• Options
    I apologize for the double post, but I inked the cowboy and would love some feedback on it.
    ngbbs4fe8f7d9679e3.jpg

• Options
    Adding Flats, comments would be truly appreciated...
    ngbbs4fe9251b387b3.jpg

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Dude, I didnt know you, but the improvement shown JUST on this page is amazing, are you sure you werent bitten by a radioactive cartoonist or something like that ?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    It was a zombie cartoonist but who knows, maybe he was radioactive. jajajaja, thanks for the kind words man, it's great to know you think I've improved greatly :)

• Options
    Shaded everything, I thought you might enjoy this little gray scale version :)
    ngbbs4fe92f6b52935.jpg
    Here you go, the colored image. I'm happy with it. I'll add some texture to it tomorrow but overall today's image is done. I would love some feedback, and since tomorrow I'm going to be working on it a bit more, I wouldn't mind jumping back in it and fixing what you think should be fixed.
    ngbbs4fe92fe0b409f.jpg

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Yeah props for the improvement your showing. Be careful of that belt though, the hanging bit is a little too reminicent of a drooping dick.
    When I first saw it, I had to do a double take to make sure his wang wasn't hanging out.

• Options
    I took out the hanging belt bit, I noticed what you said and it's incredibly true. Shaded a couple of things and added a little bit of texture on the pants, added some "dirt" here and there, barely visible really, and added some red around the face.
    ngbbs4fea0c62c3ac9.jpg

• Options
    If you're like me some days you wake up wanting to draw a beast, today is one of those days. I'll be refining the image throughout the day and would love some feedback on it.
    ngbbs4feb02b949357.jpg

• Options
    Read the Dota2 Character Design Valve posted, and I wanted to try that whole gradient from top to bottom thing. Inked and added flats, I should be adding shading soon. Hope you like it. Any feedback will be truly appreciated.
    ngbbs4feb2689994a9.jpg

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    I think the gradient looks nice, I use that in my work as well. You are definitely showing improvement on this page alone! Keep it up!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for the kind words F87, it truly means a lot coming from you. Seeing as you have an amazing grasp on character design, it would be great to hear what you have to say regarding the subject. Maybe some tips/tricks on creating good characters, anything you say would be greatly appreciated :)

PS: Do you by any chance have a blog I could follow? I really enjoy your work, and would love to add you to my blog list.

Also, another little edit, jajajaja. I would like to try my had on environments but I truly have no idea on how to go about it.

Mabelma on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Thanks for the kind words! I don't have a blog or anything though.

Here check out this youtube channel, watch a ton of them every day! http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL

• Options
    Damn, this is great. Thanks for the link man :)