Options

Sketches, Studies, and Stuff

• Options
    MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    Loving the feeling the gradient gives to the overall image. I'll start using that technique from now on. Enjoy. As always, any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    ngbbs4feb4a761218d.jpg

Have some time, check out my blog
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Lots of good progression in this thread, so keep in working at it!

The two things that stand out to me about the dragon are 1, the way front leg is drawn shows no real regard for how the bones and muscled would be placed (obviously there is no set in stone dragon anatomy, but implying similarities to known animals helps to suspend disbelief) and 2, the tail is not at it's thickest at its base.

• Options
    I might go over it later but for now, I did this rather quickly. If I was to draw the legs like this would it fix the problem you see? Thank you so much for the feedback and for the kind words, it really makes me happy to know I'm improving.
    scaled.php?server=827&filename=beastroverdraw.jpg&res=landing

• Options
    Revised a couple of things. I think I'm all done now. Hope you like it :)
    ngbbs4feb710d1e32c.jpg

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I think Sublimus was actually referring to the other set of legs, the front legs. The front left leg almost looks like it could have two elbows and three arm sections, as opposed to an upper arm, lower arm, elbow, wrist, paw.

• Options
    Thanks for clarifying Nibcrom, either way I think it looks better with the legs like that. Re-drew that arm, hopefully this is better, and I can give closure to the piece.
    ngbbs4feb80de7de87.jpg

• Options
    EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    seems to be missing an Arm to me, you'd still see the second paw no?
    Also with his new back legs it looks like he's having a nice BM, but they're definitely better thought out than the previous iteration, although the background one looks like the outside claw is bigger than the inside ones.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, you'd still that second paw but I think I'm done with this one, I might go back and fix those things you mentioned cause now I see what you mean with the background leg having bigger claws. I'm sure what you mean by BM though? Could you please explain? Also thank you for dropping some feedback, it's really appreciated.

Also is that new arm better?

Edit----
    Even if I'm tired of the dragon, I figured if I want to improve I'll have to stick with it to the end. So I added that second paw, and also added some "dirt" here and there, mostly on the parts that would be in contact with the ground if this dragon actually existed, to give it a more "real" look. Hope you like it.
    ngbbs4feb95d83e256.jpg

Mabelma on
  • Options
    EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    BM= Bowel Movement.
    looks like he's poopin'

• Options
    Ohhh, i see what you mean. I'm done with this one though but thanks for clarifying. I'll start on something new soon.

• Options
    Today's prompt is Hobby :D At first I was just gonna draw a hobbit because I don't know, the words sound incredibly familiar but then one thing let to another and I ended up wanting to draw this. A skeleton that collects bones. As always feedback will be greatly appreciated. Personally, this image is a little more ambitious than my usual stuff so I would really like to hear what you think about it.
    ngbbs4fecb54d4fb19.jpg

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    you need a reference for the pelvis bone and the thigh bones, or for the whole thing, but what jumps out the most for me, are the joints of every limb, you can get away with the skull being more cartoony, but the hips and shoulders, even if drawn as cartoons could use the reference from a real skeleton

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I went back, gathered some references and sketched out those bones you said were messed up. Hopefully this is better.
    ngbbs4fee206a93afd.jpg
    Originally I had used some references but being very dumb, the references were all of already cartoonish skeletons, concept art, and things like that. Which in hindsight was stupid cause all those images are stylized and not the bones were not the shape they really are.
    ----
    Also I wanted to show you this, take a look if you would like to :)
    http://mabelma.daportfolio.com/

Mabelma on
  • Options
    Inked and shaded, I still need to work on somethings like the background but overall I'm pretty happy with it so far. As always, comments greatly appreciated :)
    ngbbs4fee5f81b8840.jpg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    It looks a bit strange to me that the spine disappears at the bottom of the rib cage. But that is a dang cute skeleton.

• Options
    I'm really glad you like it, I think I'll go back and finish up that spine, it does look a bit strange. Thanks for the feedback smof, greatly appreciated :)

• Options
    Added the rest of the spine, tidied a couple of things, and finished up the background. I'm pretty happy with how it came out, not the best background but I like how it makes the skeleton stand out. Enjoy and as always feedback greatly appreciated :)
    ngbbs4fef46c367dbb.jpg

• Options
    So I drew Gary the Snail. I originally wanted to draw spongebob sitting on a saddle but after a couple of sketches just decided to scratch the whole concept and just draw a big ass snail with a spike collar. It'll be a good experiment, I want to see if I can get that whole sticky substance texture down on painting. Anyways, the mushrooms are there to give you a sort of idea of how big the snail really is. (originally was going to be posted as a submission for a Re-Imagine Spongebob challenge over on deviantart)
    ngbbs4fef8d13afb44.jpg

• Options
    Inked, now onto coloring. Enjoy, looking forward to your feedback :)
    ngbbs4ff0daf792713.jpg

• Options
    All done, hope you like it. I would love to hear some feedback :)
    ngbbs4ff0e61da87f2.jpg

• Options
    I think you did a great job colouring the mushrooms, but the drops on the snails "chest" area is bugging me, maybe the colouring detail conflicts with the fact that everything else has a black outline to show the shape.
    I like how the snails "house" is coloured, I dont particularly enjoy the colours themselves though. (totally personal opinion btw)

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    While you're at it you might as well just drop all the black lines (it's gonna come sooner or later). It would avoid the look of its stomach being a painted carpet, because of those black lines running over the drops. As for me I like the colors, they're decent.

• Options
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    I think you did a great job colouring the mushrooms, but the drops on the snails "chest" area is bugging me, maybe the colouring detail conflicts with the fact that everything else has a black outline to show the shape.
    I like how the snails "house" is coloured, I dont particularly enjoy the colours themselves though. (totally personal opinion btw)
    m3nace wrote: »
    While you're at it you might as well just drop all the black lines (it's gonna come sooner or later). It would avoid the look of its stomach being a painted carpet, because of those black lines running over the drops. As for me I like the colors, they're decent.

Personally I don't like the color scheme myself, the whole pink versus green throws me off but since I wanted him to be a sort of "mutant" version of Gary, I had to go with pink, and green but I am happy with the way the shading, and the highlights and how all of it came out. I took out the black line like you suggested, see below :)

Done, never really tried colored lines instead of black lines but I like how the image looks now, I think I'll start using colored lines a little more often. Thank you both for your feedback, truly appreciated.

ngbbs4ff1d48c38e3b.jpg

• Options
    Wasn't very happy with the original drops of slime so I went back and worked on them.
    ngbbs4ff218f0a72c5.jpg

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I like the design, but I think that you could probably push on a bit further and bring it to tighter finish.

I did a bit of a paint over to show you what I mean, hope you don't mind.

sna1.jpg

The first step would be to figure out your forms. Try making another layer and then do a sort of topographical grid to really nail them down. This will help you get a better understanding of the design as a whole, place your light and render the form.

sna2.jpg

Pick a good light source and stick with it. Keep in mind that the light will be bouncing off the ground and hitting your forms, as well. Look at pictures of the sorts of surfaces you are trying to replicate and use them to inform the way light is going to play on your creatures.

sna.gif

You should practice just rendering basic shapes. Spheres, cones, cylinders, cubes, etc. Grab eggs, vases, boxes, etc. and draw them in different lighting situations. Exercises like that will help you to create solid looking illustrations.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    ... Holy shit, Chico it is an honor to have you do a paint over. Your image looks wonderful, I'll go back and re-render just because I cannot let your criticisms go to waste. Thank you so much, I'll start practicing what you've told me as soon as I can.

Since you're here, I can't help but pick your brain a bit, hope you don't mind.
    Out of pure curiosity how much time did it take you to do the paint over?
    Also, recently I read that light when it bounces of object not only does it carry light but it also carries the objects values, basically what I mean is, would the snail have a bit of red or pick where the light bounces of objects around it like in this case the mushrooms (red) and the house (pink)

*EDIT* Going around your blog, I can't help but notice that you use masks. I'm using masks to paint as well, mostly a normal brush (the same round brush I use for inking) but with a flow of 2% or 5%, sometimes 10% if I want a lot of shadows or highlights.

Mabelma on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I was noodling with the paint over on and off, so it's hard to be precise, but probably around an hour or so.

Yeah, light from the house and the mushrooms should be influencing the colour of the snail a little bit more than what I've painted. The amount of light bouncing off something depends on it's value. The darker mushrooms will absorb more light and bounce less than the lighter valued ground, for instance.

A lot of the time when I'm working I'll just use the normal brushes. A big soft edged brush set to a low opacity to block in some values, and then alternate between that and a hard edged brush to clean up edges and polish away.

• Options
    Thanks for all the comments Chico, really appreaciate them. Went back, fixed the things you said as best as I could. Enjoy :)
    ngbbs4ff24eb37f7a6.jpg

Also, here's a side to side comparison of the two. NEW VS OLD.
    ngbbs4ff24f442a4c8.jpg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Mabelma I think that looks great. Would like to see you add a background though. Doesn't have to be anything fancy just get him out of that empty void.

Also, the fact that people are calling the snail's shell his "house" is just too adorable for me to cope.

• Options
    english is not my first lenguaje, I have no idea if it counts as a shell or how its called... but yeah, Im adorable

• Options
    smof wrote: »
    Mabelma I think that looks great. Would like to see you add a background though. Doesn't have to be anything fancy just get him out of that empty void.

Also, the fact that people are calling the snail's shell his "house" is just too adorable for me to cope.
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    english is not my first lenguaje, I have no idea if it counts as a shell or how its called... but yeah, Im adorable

jajajaja, I totally forgot it was called a shell until smof said it. I want to add a background but for some reason I just can't bring myself to do it. I feel like a bitch but I truly fear drawing backgrounds. I promise you though that the next pieces will have backgrounds, I'll practice some environment design, see if I can get myself to tackle a couple of backgrounds before jumping onto a new character.

• Options
    Currently I'm working on this, character design is generic, yes, but on this piece I'm trying to work on environment design, and actually painting more complex scenes. Also trying to tell a "story" I plan on adding maybe a house or a nice little silhouette of a city farther in the background but so far I have this sketch. As the last image, this piece is out of my comfort zone so I would appreciate anything and everything you may have to say, at any stage of the piece, feel free to comment. Enjoy.
    ngbbs4ff4b35805f6c.jpg

• Options
    Took a break from that other piece to draw a little dragon :D
    ngbbs4ff6e9501453c.jpg

• Options
    So I did some more work on the previous image, not very happy with how it came out, any feedback would be truly welcome.
    ngbbs4ff7526bbee9b.jpg

• Options
    Also, here's a pretty cool looking elephant I did for a client, to balance the disgust from the "COLD" piece.
    ngbbs4ff753fef0d5b.jpg

• Options
    Trying to work on my rendering skills, also working on light and shadow. First time I've ever really try this digitally, I really enjoyed the process so I'll be doing a couple more of these. Really fun little experiment this was :) As always, comments and all greatly welcome. The proportions are crazy wrong but I would love some tips/trick/feedback on rendering and shading. Enjoy.

Left Reference Picture, Right Digital Painting.
    ngbbs4ff7f876a48cb.jpg

• Options
    Here's another study, same value study, different subject, hopefully some improvement. I am awful when it comes to contrast, I always seem to be afraid of adding more contrast in my images. Reference image from this awesome website (imageafter.com)
    ngbbs4ff8d6cc1a453.jpg

It's still not done but it's all I'm doing for tonight, I'll go back to it tomorrow and finish it up.

• Options
    SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    What do you do your digital work on? Photoshop/Gimp/Sketchbook Pro?
    Sorry, I didn't see it anywhere.

As for the last couple of value studies, one thing that stands out is that your values are consistently much darker than your reference.
    When studying value a good trick is the "squint test". Squint your eyes a little so that you can't see all the details. That can help you separate the dark and light areas.

Good luck and keep at it.

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    What do you do your digital work on? Photoshop/Gimp/Sketchbook Pro?
    Sorry, I didn't see it anywhere.

As for the last couple of value studies, one thing that stands out is that your values are consistently much darker than your reference.
    When studying value a good trick is the "squint test". Squint your eyes a little so that you can't see all the details. That can help you separate the dark and light areas.

Good luck and keep at it.

Currently using Photoshop CS4. Thanks for that little tip, it helps a lot, also I find that if I step back and look at the image from farther away, I can spot some mistakes I hadn't while I was working on it. Anyways, got a littler farther a long with the image. Enjoy and as always, looking forward to what you may have to say:)
    ngbbs4ffb0e4bafe23.jpg

Mabelma on
  • Options
    ngbbs4fff1f607c25b.jpg
    Took way longer than I expected but whatever, there's a lot that could be fixed but I'm done with this study, I'm moving onto the next thing. I learned a lot of things about value, plus I feel I learned how to properly do contrast or at least do it better than how I used to do it.

Also, a gif.
    452b2ed3258c16fbb571862d10a84661.gif