Options

Sketches, Studies, and Stuff

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Great study. Next round I would try to pay attention to how the light is dispersing over the surface. Your apple looks rather metallic, and the reference has a pretty soft diffuse light. As you continue forward, you'll be able to concern yourself with things like texture accuracy.

• Options
    MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    I see what you mean, thank you for your comment. I'll try to pay a little more attention to that on the next study. I plan to do a couple more of these before moving onto my next illustration. I always seem to have a huge problem with my values so hopefully this will help me fix that problem.

Have some time, check out my blog
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Been swamped with freelance work so I haven't gotten much time to do personal work but for the sake of updating, here are some elephant studies off the good ol' sketchbook. Excuse the poor quality, took a photo with the phone instead of scanning.
    ngbbs5005c83eb77b2.jpg

#EDIT#
    Also here a couple of spheres to try an improve my values/textures, referenced from 3d material spheres (you know those things 3d program use to lay out material onto objects). I am awful at this, I need to practice a lot more of this.
    ngbbs5005d44be028a.jpg

Mabelma on
  • Options
    Sometimes I get payed to draw things for people, and these people don't like it I have to redo the whole thing and I'm left with a pretty cool character for my portfolio. Anyway this is one of those cases. A surfing iguana dude. The shadow is there just to give him some ground as it was supposed to be used as website mascot.
    ngbbs500756a2da01f.jpg

• Options
    I went back and fixed a couple of things since it's going to be mine and not for any client, I decided to fix some of the shading, and a couple of things that were off like the hand. Also added a "background"... I really hate myself for not being able to make good backgrounds, I need to do a lot more studies!
    ngbbs50088b6f49030.jpg

• Options
    ngbbs5019969976cd9.jpg
    Working on something new. Generic, awful background but a pretty cool character. Looking forward to whatever you might think. Awesome post referenced from here

• Options
    ngbbs5019ae37ecc25.jpg
    I started inking it, here's what I got so far.

• Options
    SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    His left leg (image right) really stands out as being a bit off. That kind of foreshortening is always really difficult. The rest looks really solid though. I like your inks.

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • Options
    ngbbs5019cfac1c822.jpg
    Tried to address it by making his toes face a little more forward I'm not sure if I pulled it off, but either way, done for today. Tomorrow backgrounds, colors, and more editing.

• Options
    ngbbs501abdece1492.jpg
    Fully inked and with a background, now onto the actual character.

• Options
    ngbbs501ad064605f0.jpg
    Flats are in. Hopefully the shading will tie it all together.

• Options
    ngbbs501b0af90f1dd.jpg
    All done. Looking forward to what you might have to say :)

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Lacks contrast. You'd imagine with a sunset in the background, the side facing away from the sun would be much darker. Don't be afraid of going crazy with contrast, sometimes I'm also way too careful with contrast and it just gets muddy. You could do with some purple shadows. Go nuts.

• Options
    ngbbs501be256c5d6c.jpg
    Added some much needed contrast, tried to add some muscle on the back, and tried to make his right arm not look so floaty (failed at that) Anyways a new version.

• Options
    ngbbs501f16d4445ac.jpg
    Working on something new :)

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Remember that your horizon line is basically how high off the ground the camera, or viewer is. When you're building your figures, you should pay attention to where you are putting the horizon line and how that will affect the construction.

Try drawing your guy out in simple shapes. Cubes, cylinders, spheres, etc, and make sure that those shapes conform to perspective you have established with your horizon line.

Doing this will make your characters more consistent with the environment and will give them a greater degree of solidity and believability.

persp.jpg

• Options
    CddobbsjrCddobbsjr Registered User new member
    What do you use for your inks? The pen tool in Illustrator? I'm just curious. I like the paints on your tiki guy. You could probably darken the shadows a bit but I really like the overall painterly feel to it. Very nice!

?ui=2&ik=da60d72592&view=att&th=138e96e0bca3d6f2&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_h5eesxn10&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-nGCmbNXJMuOP6JehsXTs0&sadet=1343946127874&sads=C637QiFQEfJFn0uIsT8Q2rnapL8&sadssc=1
  • Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Remember that your horizon line is basically how high off the ground the camera, or viewer is. When you're building your figures, you should pay attention to where you are putting the horizon line and how that will affect the construction.

Try drawing your guy out in simple shapes. Cubes, cylinders, spheres, etc, and make sure that those shapes conform to perspective you have established with your horizon line.

Doing this will make your characters more consistent with the environment and will give them a greater degree of solidity and believability.

persp.jpg

Decided to put this image on hold for now and practice drawing some more perspective. I see what you mean about how the horizon line affects the construction I think I need some more practice before trying out an image like this. Again I thank you for give my sketch a draw over, it is truly an honor.

Cddobbsjr wrote: »
    What do you use for your inks? The pen tool in Illustrator? I'm just curious. I like the paints on your tiki guy. You could probably darken the shadows a bit but I really like the overall painterly feel to it. Very nice!

That is so weird, you're like the 3th person that asked me if I did my inks in Illustrator, but actually I don't it's all photoshop. Usually I sketch out the image at a small size, something like 800*800 and then I'll crop it accordingly and make it 3 or 4 times as big as that, then it's all zoom in and ink with the normal brush tool at a size 9. I'm really glad you like the image :) Yeah I still need to work on my contrast, I might revisit it some other time and make the lights, lighter and the darks way darker.

• Options
    CddobbsjrCddobbsjr Registered User new member
    Ah! Well the linework is very good. It's nice and clean which is probably why people think it was made in illustrator haha. Well cool!

?ui=2&ik=da60d72592&view=att&th=138e96e0bca3d6f2&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_h5eesxn10&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-nGCmbNXJMuOP6JehsXTs0&sadet=1343946127874&sads=C637QiFQEfJFn0uIsT8Q2rnapL8&sadssc=1
  • Options
    Thank you, I really appreciate the kind words :)

• Options
    001__bulbasaur_by_mabelma-d5cb0o6.png
    Wanted to try the whole pkmnathon.tumblr.com thing so here's the first pokemon. I'll try to do one daily, let's see how that goes.

• Options
    001__ivysaur_by_mabelma-d5ceory.png
    Here's the second pokemon in our pokemon marathon challenge :)

• Options
    003__venasaur_by_mabelma-d5chlgj.png
    Here's today, Venasaur.

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    I really like the shading on his legs. I think the head could do with being a bit more to the left though. As it is, it looks like it's attached just to the top of his left leg.

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    Halen wrote: »
    I really like the shading on his legs. I think the head could do with being a bit more to the left though. As it is, it looks like it's attached just to the top of his left leg.

Thank you for your comment Halen, I definelty plan on revisiting Venasaur in the future as I forgot to add the little designs on his body but till then;
    004__charmander_by_mabelma-d5cmh7p.png
    Today's victim is none other than the coolest pokemon of them all, Charmander! He has a crown, cause he's awesome!

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I think you should spend a bit more time plotting out your light sources and your shadows.

Your shadows look like an afterthought at the moment. Shadows are important because they can help to create a feeling of solidity in your forms. It's obvious that right now you're creating a silhouette of your Pokemon, filling it with a darkish colour and then trying to skew it on the ground in perspective. This can be a time saver if you can fudge it right, but it really isn't how shadows work.

Perspective Made Easy by Earnest Norling and Successful Drawing by Andrew Loomis are books that both have sections on properly casting shadows in perspective. I'd recommend you check them out if you have a chance.

The lighting on your Charmander appears to be coming from his tail flame, but the shadow you cast indicates that the strongest light is coming from behind and to the right. His little tail flame is a bit of a dud, as well. A nice quick and easy way to create a hot flame is to layer red on the outside, orange inside of the red, yellow inside of the orange, and maybe a bit of white inside the yellow.

It's always a good idea to draw out a sort of 3d grid on the shapes of your character/creatures so that you have a better idea of the forms and how light is going to fall on them.
    char1.jpg

char2.jpg

• Options
    Chico, sometimes I hate your genius! Thanks for that man, I'm doing these images as warm ups before doing freelance work, so not too much thought goes into them, but damn, if actually thinking about how it all works and not taking shortcuts gets me to such beautiful images, I shall do it. Thanks for the edit, it looks way better like that. Since they are warmups I don't think it makes too much sense to rework it but the whole shading grid is amazing, whenever I try it, I fuck something up, but I think if I look at all the ones you've done for me I'll be able to do them successfully and hopefully improve my shading with it. Thank you so much.

• Options
    005__charmeleon_by_mabelma-d5cs0ob.png
    Today's warm up is none other than charmeleon. I tried to apply as much of what you said Chico. I had to keep the half assed shadow because since I started them with that shortcut I won't be able to change them now. It'll look weird when they are all together but apart from that, i tried the grid, the fire trick and a couple other things of what you said, hopefully it shows in this image.

• Options
    ngbbs503d164b12ad0.jpg
    Working on a portfolio piece, while I'm also doing the pokemon, this one will take me more time, so I hope I can make it as great as I possibly can. So far here's my sketch, I'll start doing color comps and everything once I finish all my planning, and sketching.

• Options
    006__charizard_by_mabelma-d5cwcfn.png
    It's such an awful feeling to know something's wrong but have no idea of what it is.... DAMMIT!

• Options
    edited August 2012
    *EDIT*
    006__charizard_by_mabelma-d5cwcfn.png

Mabelma on
  • Options
    007__squirtle_by_mabelma-d5d4dgh.png
    Hopefully today's image redeems me from my last disgusting piece. Hope you like it :)

• Options
    I think you should revisit that crit of the cowboy dude Chico gave you at the top of the page. Pokemon are fairly simply constructed, so its a really good place to practice your most basic of shapes. Spheres, Cubes, and Cylinders, and really focus on them. Your Squrtles left leg is defined, but why not his arm? Is his tail a beaver tail, why is it flat with beveled edges? You may as well take the time to really focus on the construction of these, slow down and take all the parts into account.

• Options
    Thank you for your input iruka, I'll be sure to try it out. Currently working on wartortle, I've never really sketched that way but if it will help me, I will definitely try it.

• Options
    008__wartortle_by_mabelma-d5dbkxr.png
    I tried out what you said about drawing with simple shapes, and this is what I came up with, Wartortle. Looking forward to your comments :)

• Options
    009__blastoise_by_mabelma-d5dh282.png
    Blastoise!

• Options
    It would be helpful if you posted the sketch phase. These two are slightly better but it seems like you are having trouble with volume. I suggest John K, look at all his posts that are labeled "construction"
    http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/search/label/construction

Specifically, images like these:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mJ4lc_Q9Q6k/ShzJ2tiURhI/AAAAAAAAexo/-J4sFMj1gZs/s1600-h/6.jpg
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mJ4lc_Q9Q6k/SeghHPvv_AI/AAAAAAAAdbM/MwyUeOJGIz0/s1600-h/bugscomparative.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6F2XxN87Jhg/R2Ln1EXnZ6I/AAAAAAAAAKw/-msKQP0YldY/s1600/johnkconstructionexercise.jpg

When you consider the volume and shape of all the parts, drawing has sort of a logical, puzzle aspect to it. In a way, thinking about construction is like sculpting in 2D. You are thinking about how thick something is, and if the form is overlapping another. Is it concave or convex, Is it flat faced or curved.

Just looking at the face of your wartortle, for instance, The eyes are very flat and the nose seems out of place
    warcrit1.jpg
    You want to start with the Sphere and then think of the other forms added polygons on top of that. Use your constriction lines as a tool to make that stuff really solid.
    warcrit2.jpg
    If you do it right, you will take out the guess work of "how to I shade his muzzle so it looks 3D?" Because it will suddenly become "is this plane facing toward or away from the light"

• Options
    edited September 2012
    That is awesome, I'll try it out cause I see what you mean. I'm always having trouble with what goes in front and what goes behind. Thanks for the links and for the draw over, really appreciate that. By the way here are both sketches.
    Wartortle:
    wartortlesketch.jpg
    Blastoise:
    blastoisesketch-1.jpg

Mabelma on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    010__caterpie_by_mabelma-d5dlikm.png
    Caterpie

Mabelma on