• Options
    MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    014__kakuna_by_mabelma-d5eogl9.png
    014: Kakuna

Have some time, check out my blog
  • Options
    caricature_warm_ups_9_17_by_mabelma-d5f5pe9.jpg
    Took a break from my pokemon project to delve into some caricatures, kinda like this a lot... I'll be switching between doing caricature warmups and working on the Pokemon marathon, but I'll be drawing constantly :)

• Options
    015__beedrill_by_mabelma-d5f6j0q.png
    15 Beedrill

• Options
    016__pidgey_by_mabelma-d5fiqia.png
    Just a Pidgey :D

• Options
    5c701794041311e2a24f1231381b4d9b_7.jpg
    Can you guess who this is?

• Options
    c41a3268042111e2a57122000a1cf722_7.jpg
    What about this one? Any idea of who this is?

• Options
    017-Pidgeotto-328573793
    I'm getting a real kick out of making these, I'm going to try and whip out as many as two a day whenever it's possible, hopefully I 'll be able to catch up with the ones I'm missing. Hope you like Pidgeotto :)

• Options
    017__pidgeotto_by_mabelma-d5fmh5t.png
    I'm getting a real kick out of making these, I'm going to try and whip out as many as two a day whenever it's possible, hopefully I 'll be able to catch up with the ones I'm missing. Hope you like Pidgeotto :)

• Options
    edited September 2012
    018__pidgeot_by_mabelma-d5fnxv3.png
    Pidgeot

Mabelma on
  • Options
    019__rattata_by_mabelma-d5frc70.png
    Rattata

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    mouth-nose-face seem to be misaligned in the rat one. Also I think that a more cell shaded colouring would have fit this subjects much, much better.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    019__rattata_by_mabelma-d5frc70.png
    Trying to fix the rattata before moving onto raticate.

• Options
    019__rattata_by_mabelma-d5g6r4z.png
    I redid the whole rattata because I wasn't very happy with it, here's the new one though :)

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I dont want to be the bad guy, but I have some things to point about this particular poken, and some about all previous ones.
    this one looks like its floating, and its incredibly static for a pokemon, the static remark can be applied to most of the series, the bird flying not so much, the butterfly thing is not that stiff either. But you should really reconsider the colouring style.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    NSFW:
    ngbbs50957bd6e4082.jpg
    A masked woman, trying to get back in the habit of drawing daily. I'm not very happy with many of the pokemons. I'm planning on just redoing some of the ones that just look awful before I move on. Working on that at the moment and I also wanna try and do more of this studies.

Mabelma on
  • Options
    raticate_by_mabelma-d5ka6mc.png
    Trying to get back into making pokemons, before I fix all the ones I want to fix I want to finish them all. So enjoy my try at going back and posting one or two a day :)

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I love how dynamic the pidgey series is. Pidgeot is more like gandalf-falling-into-abyss than falcon-grabbing-mouse though

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    I love how dynamic the pidgey series is. Pidgeot is more like gandalf-falling-into-abyss than falcon-grabbing-mouse though
    I'm glad you like them mate, I'm most proud of that series, I really want more of them to come out like that. They look hella dynamic and I'm super happy with those.

• Options
    021__spearow_by_mabelma-d5kecxj.png
    Spearow doing his thing :)

• Options
    022__fearow_by_mabelma-d5klmlj.png
    Fearow

• Options
    Stuff for people
    requests_setone_by_mabelma-d5kpmf2.png
    requests_settwo_by_mabelma-d5kt89u.png

• Options
    ngbbs50a18c9120a62.jpg
    More stuff for more people.

• Options
    Some new stuff.
    Trying to improve my shading hopefully I'm doing something right...
    ngbbs50afdef0e64d4.jpg
    ngbbs50afdf594057e.jpg
    ngbbs50afdfec73279.jpg
    ngbbs50afe05aad391.jpg

• Options
    2 more characters :D
    ngbbs50b51505becb4.jpg

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    If you're really serious about improving your shading, angel_of_bacon has posted a really amazing tutorial here:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/25015199/#Comment_25015199

I think your people are streets ahead of your pokemon in form, by the way.

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    Halen wrote: »
    If you're really serious about improving your shading, angel_of_bacon has posted a really amazing tutorial here:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/25015199/#Comment_25015199

I think your people are streets ahead of your pokemon in form, by the way.

Thank you, this link is tons of help. I know what you mean, I'm always messing up the form of the pokemons. I really don't know what's been going on lately... right now I just want to get the whole project done with and move on to something actually good. Something that'll take me some good time and some good thinking, a nice and proper piece but till then, I'll just bombard you with awful pokemons :/

• Options
    ngbbs50c3e337b57cb.jpg
    Working on something new, I would love to take some C+C.

• Options
    MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular
    I really like that! Having just gone over my sad excuse for a monthly budget, this drawing speaks to me.

A couple of things I will mention is that, first the thick outline is very distracting, I would thin it out and be sure to vary the line weight of the outline. Second, I get that parts of the snowman are melting of him, but I don't get the straight lines coming off the snowman? I think it would be better without the straight lines. Lastly if the snowman was looking directly at the little guys I think it would add power to the illustration, right now he seems to be staring off into space.

I know that seems like a lot of stuff, but don't get me wrong, I think it's really cool. That evil grin is awesome! And the little guys are rad looking, I like how you applied the gradient to them, it pulls my focus right up to the dangling dollar. I also like how even the snowman is being dangled on a line by an unseen force, adds a bit of sinister intrigue to the piece.

Keep up the good work!

• Options
    ngbbs50c4cfb0093fb.jpg
    I took of the thick outlines, does it look better now? The straight lines were suppose to show how he was melting but it looked bad with the thick outline, so now that that's of does it look better?

I'm glad you like those little things, and thank you so much for the kind words :)

• Options
    Alt color:
    ngbbs50c4d07e8a5f8.jpg

• Options
    MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular
    I like it!

• Options
    Maybe try the jumping figures in the red tones and the snowman in the blue. Might also want to firm up the lines in the jumping figures' heads to match that of the snowman - they look sketchy when the rest of the drawing doesn't

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    I'll do that as soon as I can, in the meantime I'm working on a little something, never really done this but it seemed like a fun little project so I wanted to try it out. What I have so far.
    5f3d96379cf13db1e497411fe3df74db.gif

• Options
    edited December 2012
    A bit more progress.
    30693cf01e1baa26c9ffb141e44ba3a5.gif
    ngbbs50ce175383ae1.jpg

Mabelma on
  • Options
    A little bit more work done, I'm working on it in between freelance stuff, which is why I'm going so slowly on it.
    9a4e9b8a76e451eb0227abdec3098778.gif

If you have some tips on rendering the skin, they would be really appreciated. I'm having some trouble with the neck.

ngbbs50ce43495a944.jpg

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    You are kinda working around the face section by section, and what you want to do is build it up slowly and equally on all parts. I would watch some videos of artists painting to help you get a better idea of a work flow.

• Options
    Eye placement is off also.

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    It also is a bit.... Like it leans to our left. I think you had some structural problem from the first sketch that didnt get resolved before you starrted rendering. If its just a rendering excersize then probably dont worry about it now, but if it's for something you would probably be best served by starting again at the beginning.
    Edit: looking at it again i think the best description is that it is stuck between being in 3/4 view and facing forward. Like the original sketch was intended as a front view but the features have been rendered as if from the side.

JohnTWM on