Options

Sketches, Studies, and Stuff

• Options
    MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    This was just a rendering study and in that sense I accomplished what I wanted to do but since I messed up on anatomy, I'm going to scratch the whole image and try my hand at a new portrait. I'll be posting that sometime soon :) Thanks all for your comments.

Have some time, check out my blog
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    If you post it in the earlier stages maybe we can help you through it.

• Options
    I'll do that, no problem :)

• Options
    ngbbs50d4b4892477f.jpg
    This time around I'm trying the same exercise but being a little more careful with the anatomy of the face and I'm also doing a self portrait, something I've never really done but wanted to try it out and you know what they say, no better time than now :) Right now I'm just laying down stuff, were things should be placed and all that. Anything you might have to say before I start building up would be greatly appreciated.

• Options
    ngbbs50d51d2beee67.jpg
    I was not very happy with the initial lay down so I did a little more work on it, I would really appreciate some comments before I start refining.
    1a84ef061b82c8e787d2bece20d09821.gif

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    What Iruka meant is that before you start going in to details like hair or the earbuds, you should start by blocking in the major forms. Here's a tutorial Bacon recently linked on the process. There isn't much contrast in this photograph, though, so it's a little difficult to pick out midtones.

Anatomy is less important at this stage than making sure you're relating elements to each other while you're drawing to keep everything in proportion. For example, in the photograph, the inner corner of the right eye (his right) roughly lines up vertically with the edge of the right nostril, and also roughly with the center of the chin.

You've definitely made some improvement, so keep up the practice!

Flay on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    Flay wrote: »
    What Iruka meant is that before you start going in to details like hair or the earbuds, you should start by blocking in the major forms. Here's a tutorial Bacon recently linked on the process. There isn't much contrast in this photograph, though, so it's a little difficult to pick out midtones.

Anatomy is less important at this stage than making sure you're relating elements to each other while you're drawing to keep everything in proportion. For example, in the photograph, the inner corner of the right eye (his right) roughly lines up vertically with the edge of the right nostril, and also roughly with the center of the chin.

You've definitely made some improvement, so keep up the practice!

This has helped me beyond measure, I think I'm happy with the initial laydowns. Should I start refining? All I want in this initial stages is to get the placement right, once I start refining I'll fix up the forms and get them looking nice and proper :)
    ngbbs50d5ca916fd17.jpg

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    I think you need to be spending time looking at where features are on the face - check the proportions and spacing particularly. Don't be afraid to erase something and replace it, even if you like how you've drawn it - you will be able to do it again. I think your features are generally pretty good, but as a really basic start you're not putting them in the right places.

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    ngbbs50d7719e67aca.jpg
    I went back and actually sketched the initial positions. I thought I could do it all using values without any initial sketch but that definitely wasn't working so what about now? Did I finally get the position right?

• Options
    ngbbs50d7994f8fbde.jpg
    I keep trying to fix things, I've even redone the initial sketch but I just can't get things to look fine. Every time I go back to fix something I just fuck it up more. Some help would truly be appreciated.
    c165cc6f28c7985ae067f97e23f40870.gif

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I think you have the right idea with comparing the angles of features to eachother on your referene and drawing to position everything. That's a pretty solid technique for life drawing, but the goal is to try and build the structure you are seeing as well, instead of just colours and shades in reference to eachother. Try and break down the face into planes first instead of jumping right into the details. When you are comparing the features with angles and distance like you have with the blue lines, go even further and compare more things as well.

It's not a great reference photo to use either since it's obviously camera-flash lighting which flattens everything out, and it's already flattened since it's a photo and not a dude right in front of you.

• Options
    I'm not sure of what you mean about comparing more things, could you please elaborate on that? Well I'm the guy in the photo, it's a self portrait... or at least it's suppose to be. Everything just keeps coming out so bad!

ngbbs50d7abb086d68.jpg
    Anyways a little more work on it, still trying to make it look good, after I have the positions and proportions correctly, I'll worry about resemblance but this has become a real hassle for me. Again any help would be truly welcomed.

• Options
    ngbbs50d7b628a4df2.jpg
    I think I'm finally getting somewhere, any comments?

Also, here's a little bit of refining study I just finished. I wasn't really worrying much about proportions/anatomy, it was all just about trying to get the features to blend properly and all that.
    ngbbs50d7b2a8bfd0a.jpg

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    The features are looking much better - effort definitely paid off there. Check out the line of the jaw and the shape of the mouth and you'll be there!

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    ngbbs50d89b6c54413.jpg
    Gone and done some more work on that little self portrait :)

And yes, I love me some gifs:
    9f6ba885334571edc786533bfa228aa3.gif

• Options
    ngbbs50d8b35ce7d76.jpg
    Here's a little bit of freelance work I just finished.

• Options
    ngbbs50d8c7a0a1e38.jpg
    Doing a little more work on the self portrait, am I going in the right direction?

• Options
    ngbbs50d8e78e89f91.png
    And a Raichu in a pear tree.

• Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Mabelma wrote: »
    ngbbs50d8c7a0a1e38.jpg
    Doing a little more work on the self portrait, am I going in the right direction?
    This is heading in the right direction. In your first few attempts, you had an issue at the most basic level in that the face you were drawing was tilted slightly down, where as in the ref, his face is tilted to the side, but also back slightly. In this latest attempt you have adjusted that so it is much closer to reality. But there are still some major issues and I think it can all be traced back to a single mistake; you're drawing from memory and not actually drawing what you are looking at, even though you may not realize it. It can be an amazingly difficult thing to overcome (it's something I do constantly so I am speaking from first hand experience) but you need to step back and really LOOK at what you have done and what is actually in the reference. The most obvious place where this has occurred is this mouth. In the ref, the guy appears happy. Not like ecstatic, but he seems to be in a pleasant mood. So when you drew his mouth, you drew him smiling. But he isn't actually smiling in the ref in the sense that his mouth is sloping up at the sides. Its actually quite flat or even down-turned in the corners. Draw a line from the corner of his mouth to the middle dip in his lip. If you continue the line on the ref it goes straight through the far corner of his mouth, but on your rendition it goes well below because you have drawn the corner curling up. There are little mistakes like that all over. You have found where on his face his mouth should go by careful study, but then drawn it how you imagine it should be, as opposed to how it is.

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    ngbbs50d9da251bde0.jpg
    Hopefully I fixed the lips on this new version. Thanks all for the help, and happy holidays to all :)
    2d972a8e93952866c76b2b1f4f235dee.gif

• Options
    edited December 2012
    self_portrait_by_mabelma-d5pdgyh.jpg
    Finally giving up on the self portrait, I've learned a lot on this project. Thank you everyone who dropped by and lend me a hand it has been a great experience. Now onto the next thing :)

Mabelma on
  • Options
    028__sandslash_by_mabelma-d5q3ryl.jpg
    029_nidoran_by_mabelma-d5q3yqf.jpgTwo more pokemon doodles.

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Since it seems like you prefer to work digitally, I really want to see you do some simple shading exercises (like a ball, cone, cylinder, etc) without using less than 100% opacity. Your values are really cloudy and smudgy, so your transitions between light and dark are messy and not clearly defined. Having to clearly identify where these transitions happen and place them intentionally will help you a lot towards deciding/understanding the form you are trying to shade, and how to show that on the page. No blending. Pretend that you're using markers and you only have black, dark gray, gray, and light gray, and the white of the page. It's difficult but if you really try your best it helps a lot.

• Options
    Actually I use a %100 opacity with a flow of %1-%15 and curve to shade. Probably the low amount of flow is giving that look but sure no problem, I'll give it a try as soon as I can.

• Options
    After seeing Sabtastic's pokemons I realized I had messed incredible bad on my own series of illustrations, I was pretty much just drawing the official art but with new colors. So I think it would be best if I just redo everything again but this time actually do it in my style. Also, I like the idea of doing them randomly so I'll do them all randomly till I finish. I might be posting one a day, but I'll try my best. Without further ado, here's Shellder :D What do you think? Should I continue in this style or keep doing what I was doing?
    ngbbs511a56f29a7ab.jpg

Still not completely sure if I should continue doing this project in this style or the other. What do you think? Personally I'm having a ton of fun doing them this way, but maybe the other way would be better? Drop by, leave a comment, tell me what you think. Or not. But what I do want you to do though, is enjoy!
    ngbbs511a9195a1de8.png

• Options
    046__paras_by_mabelma-d5utpw5.png
    Paras :)

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    The new pokes are fun, for sure. Looks like you are starting to really think about form and light, too, which is great!

• Options
    PifmanPifman Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I like this new cel shading style worlds better! Somebody said it on the last page and I agree. For most of your art it actually makes more sense this way. I just plowed through this entire thread and whenever I see your initial sketches and ink lines on white I think, "Holy shit that's good! He's better than I thought!" But by the time it's fully colored and finished I think, "Umm, maybe I don't like it as much as I initially thought?" Like the tiki mask drawing is amazing! But I think the coloring style just makes it look muddy and blotchy. Would love to see that one in this newer cel shaded style.

Edit: Oh and I don't think the shadows on the ground work in those last few. They look sloppy and out of place compared to the shading on the Pokemon themselves.

Pifman on
    PA-Signature.gif
  • Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    The new pokes are fun, for sure. Looks like you are starting to really think about form and light, too, which is great!

Thank you, I've been focusing a lot on that, trying to get it to match the lightsource and I'm really happy that you can see that in these new pokemons :) I'll try my best to carry it forward into my other work.
    Pifman wrote: »
    I like this new cel shading style worlds better! Somebody said it on the last page and I agree. For most of your art it actually makes more sense this way. I just plowed through this entire thread and whenever I see your initial sketches and ink lines on white I think, "Holy shit that's good! He's better than I thought!" But by the time it's fully colored and finished I think, "Umm, maybe I don't like it as much as I initially thought?" Like the tiki mask drawing is amazing! But I think the coloring style just makes it look muddy and blotchy. Would love to see that one in this newer cel shaded style.

Edit: Oh and I don't think the shadows on the ground work in those last few. They look sloppy and out of place compared to the shading on the Pokemon themselves.

Thank you so much, I'm really glad you like the new style and I agree with the muddy and blotchy comment, I think I'm going to just stick with this style for now and once I'm completely happy with it and I've actually master it then I'll move onto a more paintery looking style.o

Do you think I should just remove the shadows or do them some other way?

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Woah, level up dood.

• Options
    Oddish :3
    ngbbs511f066eddfcf.jpg

• Options
    m3nace wrote: »
    Woah, level up dood.

More like "evolving" hahaha, thanks m3nace, I'm happy you think it's improving.

• Options
    Here's Dugtrio for your enjoyment :)
    051__dugtrio_by_mabelma-d5v9w2u.png

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    thugtrio lol :| your new stuff is pretty fun man.

ninjai on
  • Options
    jajaja, I'm glad you like it ninjai :)
    There's more?!
    Ditto
    132__ditto_by_mabelma-d5vk9m2.png

• Options
    More pokemon.
    ngbbs51904b6b1d298.png