As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old games in win 7 64 bit

LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Like the title says, I'm finding that a number of old games won't install or run. I'm trying to decide if I just throw out old games like Harverster and Spycraft and YDKJ or if there's a non-annoying way to force compatability for very old post-DOS, pre Win-98 games.

Any help? Thanks.

LaPuzza on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There is a compatibility mode, right click on the game icon, then "Properties" and the Compatibility Mode tab. You can set it as far back as Win95. It's worked for me to get the original MOHAA running (set it to XP SP2) and a pretty ancient game called ZPC that came out in 1996. When I had Win XP, I could never get it to run, but setting compatibility mode to Win95 in Win7, it worked flawlessly.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There are certain games out there that will not run on 64 bit architectures, period.

Take the Mac and Win 95 game Dinosaur Safari for instance. I loved that game growing up. You can find the binaries for it online, and run it in compatibility mode, but if you're running a 64 bit OS, you're out of luck.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Look for DOSBOX, that's how I run my old games like Master of Orion, X-Com, Bard's Tale, Quest for Glory, etc.

http://www.dosbox.com/

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Microsoft has a free virtual machine, I can't remember what it's called. Use it to install Win95 partition on it. It's the only near flawless way to run those 16-bit programs. DOS Box, IIRC, doesn't work with the 16-bit Windows games.

Stupid piece of trivia, the original TIE Fighter and X-Wing games will run in 64-bit OSes, but can't install because it's 16-bit, while the games themselves are 32.....

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Microsoft has a free virtual machine, I can't remember what it's called. Use it to install Win95 partition on it. It's the only near flawless way to run those 16-bit programs. DOS Box, IIRC, doesn't work with the 16-bit Windows games.

Stupid piece of trivia, the original TIE Fighter and X-Wing games will run in 64-bit OSes, but can't install because it's 16-bit, while the games themselves are 32.....

ok, this sounds like where I'm headed. Compatability mode was a bust, but this sounds like a good plan.

and to think, I ALMOST just threw out my win 95 disc.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, virtual machines are great for this sort of thing. If you can't find or can't use the Microsoft one, look up Virtual Box which is free and awesome.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The only reason why I say Microsoft's VM over Virtual Box is because I think it's integrated into Windows better. If you want to install X-Wing and transfer it over to Win 7, then that's much easier to accomplish than if you use Virtual Box.

L Ron Howard on