As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NYC during the week

Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey H/A, I'm heading to New York from the 30th to the 3rd. I've never been, but I would like to see some cool stuff while avoiding the tourist traps. Just like everyone else I suppose.

I don't want this trip to be running around from sight to sight, any suggestions for things to look out for during the week?

Also what are the cheaper, but must try food places? I don't mind lining up.

Bryse Eayo on

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The one tourist trap I recommend going to is the Empire State Building Obs deck.

This is a link for the New York Pass - which is basically a way to get into a bunch of tourist traps on the cheap. It does give a pretty sizable discount if you decide to hit a bunch of the tourist places, and one version allows you to skip most lines, which is half the problem with tourist traps in the first place.

http://www.newyorkpass.com/

I know you want to avoid the traps but the site itself does give a list of places you might consider visiting. :)

As for food, there are a few must hits.

1. Katz' Deli. OMG Yum. Get the Pastrami. http://www.katzdeli.com/

2. Junior's Cheesecake. The original is in Brooklyn but they have branched out to Times Square and Broadway. http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/

3. Stage Deli. Yeah, it's what NYC is mostly known for. This is also a slice of history. http://www.stagedeli.com/

4. Lombardi's Pizzeria. Fantastic. Just go. http://gonyc.about.com/cs/restaurantreviews/a/lombardis.htm

Beyond that I'd say make sure you get hot dogs from the carts. They're great. :)

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spawnbroker and I just got back from spending our 1 year anniversary in NYC last weekend. We didn't wanna go museum hopping (though we did see the King Tut exhibit), so we decided on going to The Comic Strip to have a couple drinks and see several comedians perform. It was great, and hilarious.

The tickets aren't SUPER expensive, but they make up for it in the prices of the drinks, and there's a 2 drink minimum. I'm talking 20 bucks for a coke (I'm not making that one up. at all). The cocktails are about 10-13 bucks, and Spawn and I spent around 60 bucks on 4 drinks after tax and tip. Worth it though, as we saw some pretty famous comics, and they were all hilarious.

Bond 45 Restaurant on 154 West 45th Street (between 6th and 7th) is delicious, and not absolutely terrible in prices. It has a really nice atmosphere (think 40s), with an open kitchen, so the entire place smells delicious. It's classy.'
    Beyond that I'd say make sure you get hot dogs from the carts. They're great. :)

Yes, this. Dirty Water Dogs. If you do get one, make sure you go more downtown for them, and not near any tourist traps. They're just as good, but a lot less expensive when you're not in a highly populated and touristy area.

Also the Nuts 4 Nuts carts are really good. Get the honey roasted cashews.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    Project MayhemProject Mayhem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just moved here a little over a week ago, and the one thing I urge you to try is Luke's Lobster. Delicious lobster or crab rolls!

Project Mayhem on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    be sure to search the forums because A lot of NY topics have been made.

I really enjoyed visiting Brooklyn Heights.
    and famous get-in line pizza i'd recommend either lombardi's or grimaldi's in brooklyn (a great combination together with visiting br bridge and the heights). it realy is great pizza at a great price.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yes, this. Dirty Water Dogs. If you do get one, make sure you go more downtown for them, and not near any tourist traps. They're just as good, but a lot less expensive when you're not in a highly populated and touristy area.

Respectfully, I could not disagree more. If you're fiending a hotdog and care about what you are putting in your body go to a Shake Shack or Crif Dogs. Crif Dogs has a secret phone booth entrance to Please Don't Tell a damn good cocktail bar.

Oh and I'd pass on Grimaldi's as well. It looks like they're getting evicted for back rent and they're behind on their taxes. I'd be wary of the type of corners they'll be cutting.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

Respectfully, I could not disagree more. If you're fiending a hotdog and care about what you are putting in your body go to a Shake Shack or Crif Dogs. Crif Dogs has a secret phone booth entrance to Please Don't Tell a damn good cocktail bar.

Oh and I'd pass on Grimaldi's as well. It looks like they're getting evicted for back rent and they're behind on their taxes. I'd be wary of the type of corners they'll be cutting.

Well, the hotdogs are good, and if you've never had one before it's something you just HAVE to do when you're in the city. I'll agree with Deebaser though, and say that if you wanna get some good hotdogs and good food, go to the Shake Shack. The one I know of is in Madison Square Park, but get there early, or check out the shack cam on their site, cause the food is so good, the line wraps around the park.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    RoccoDRoccoD Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Check out www.freenyc.net and www.nerdyorkcity.com. They are both great resources for finding out about what is going on. Hope you have a great time.

RoccoD on
  • Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey Deebaser, did you mean Lombardi's is getting closed down, or did you actually mean Grimaldi's? Just a little confused. :)

Shake Shack is good stuff I'll readily admit but I still maintain that the authentic NYC hot dog experience comes from a cart operated by sweaty men you wouldn't be excited to meet in a back alley. :)

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I still can't fathom the whole "line up for Shake Shack" thing. Maybe the shakes are better than I know, but I've had a burger and a hotdog from when someone at work brought them back for lunch, and I was not impressed. They were tasty, but not "stand in line out in the terrible summer sun and humidity for forty-five minutes for one" tasty.

riz on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey Deebaser, did you mean Lombardi's is getting closed down, or did you actually mean Grimaldi's? Just a little confused. :)

Shake Shack is good stuff I'll readily admit but I still maintain that the authentic NYC hot dog experience comes from a cart operated by sweaty men you wouldn't be excited to meet in a back alley. :)

Grimaldi's. It was on curbed last week. Looking at it now, they're making the back payments and whatnot, but still, I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that is struggling to come up with rent.

On the hot dog front, we'll have to agree to disagree. Im no foodie, but there are even better mobile food options than hot dog carts.

Oh, and to the OP:

-Check out Times Square. Yes it's touristy as fuck, but it is a pretty awesome in a "Blade-Runner-Meets-Mickey-Mouse-Dystopia" kind of way. Many brands that do not need a flagship store have one in times square (see: M&M Store, Pop Tart World).

-Staten Island Ferry! Hour long Boat ride for free that takes you by the statue of liberty. Plus cans of beer are served on the boat for $3.50!

Deebaser on