As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] Jennifer Hale voicing Trooper (Page 98)

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If a Jedi can't take out enemies by doing nothing other than deflecting blaster bolts. They've fucked something up.

Vanilla Blaster weapons should have near 0% effectiveness on a high-level Jedi/Sith.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They aren't more interesting, though. In fact they're really similar! Hit seven or eight buttons in some regular order than produces the desired result. Do that with a certain amount of precision for some amount of time, receive bacon.

The challenge of course is to do that successfully while devoting mental energy to responding to a bunch of other things that are going on.

This whole thing about "dedicated" healers is a red herring, really. If ToR's gameplay is compelling, it'll be compelling. If it's boring, it'll be boring whether your job is to push buttons that heal your group or damage the enemy. Obviously people will prefer one or the other for petty individual reasons, but it's not as though there is some qualitative difference between one and the other.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I guess as someone who's extensively played a tank and a healer in WoW, I just disagree with your assessment. They really aren't the same, and require quite a bit different mind and skill sets. Yah, if you want to distill it down to "we all push buttan", they are exactly the same.

But really, that's as rhetorical as me distilling being a healer down to "standing in the back and healing".

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, okay. What then is the actual difference between somebody whose job it is to heal or do damage or tank?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They aren't more interesting, though. In fact they're really similar! Hit seven or eight buttons in some regular order than produces the desired result. Do that with a certain amount of precision for some amount of time, receive bacon.

The challenge of course is to do that successfully while devoting mental energy to responding to a bunch of other things that are going on.

This whole thing about "dedicated" healers is a red herring, really. If ToR's gameplay is compelling, it'll be compelling. If it's boring, it'll be boring whether your job is to push buttons that heal your group or damage the enemy. Obviously people will prefer one or the other for petty individual reasons, but it's not as though there is some qualitative difference between one and the other.

Except when you're dps'ing you don't typically wipe the group when you take your hands off the keyboard for a second (dps race fights not included). Also, the reason you can't do anything because you 'have no healers' is because, healing sucks and nobody wants to do it.

After having been a 'dedicated' healer in several other games for years, I came to the conclusion that in the "trinity" the healer's real role is basically "making sure everyone else can actually PLAY the game".

Boogdud on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just damage is easiest. Pump out most of the damage you can on usually a single target, which is usually the same rotation routine. Push buttan.
    Because these people get bored they'll spam chat with DPS meters and be the first to launch insults to the tank or healer when all goes down. That's their way of adding difficulty: beating the others in the ego game.

Healing boils down watching the health bars of your teammates and pressing heal buttons when they get damage. Extra difficulty is added when some baddies deal out burst damage that requires preemptive healing (starting spells before the damage is done) or preventive spells (shields whatever the shit etc) or if too many get hurt at once use some quicker (but weaker) heals here and there to keep most people up. More like a management simulator. One also has to be worried not to pump out too much heals as your mana problems are more dire than the other classes (not being able to damage for a bit is less a problem than not being able to heal for a bit)

Tanking boils down to controlling who the enemies attack. Generally means having the highest threat on the big boys the damage dudes are attacking and intercepting whatever dudes try to bash on your squishy teammates. More an awareness thing of who the enemy NPCs are attacking, same applies to crowd control. Keep track of your crowd control ability cooldowns, when the enemies are going to break out and start bashing on your squishy teammates and intercept.

Alegis on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, the most obvious difference is that the tank and DPS focus on the enemy while the healer focuses on his party members. The tank and DPS are directly contributing to taking down the enemy whereas the healer is contributing only indirectly by keeping everyone else alive.

Boogdud wrote: »
    After having been a 'dedicated' healer in several other games for years, I came to the conclusion that in the "trinity" the healer's real role is basically "making sure everyone else can actually PLAY the game".

This is a pretty good way of putting it.

reVerse on
    edited August 2010
    I find healing and tanking take entirely different levels of attention as well. When I'm healing, while I need to keep my fingers on the keys, and focus on healing bars and my immediate surroundings, it's probably 50% of the attention span I require when tanking. My situational awareness when tanking is not just about my situation, it's about the situation of everyone with me.

e: This is why I play my healer as my "chillax, run some instances" character, as a side note. I can mostly tune out, listen to some jams, and just sort of go with the flow. I'm not expected to "lead" the instance or be responsible for the situational predicament of every member, aside from their health and debuffs I can clear.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well we've already seen footage of the game showing the healer doing damage with a lightsaber and using force powers in addition to using heal powers, so I'd say it's safe to assume that the entire experience of being a healer in TOR is not going to boil down to standing back and spamming heals like a WoW raid. That seems to be what everybody is afraid of, but not only is there no evidence that TOR will be like that, there is evidence against it.

Joshmvii on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Of course, the healer doing those things in the footage we've seen could be because the encounters were set to easy mode for demo purposes and in the real game you gotta spam out heals as fast as you can. But, if it's actually possible to Force Slam people and swing my saber around in between heals, that would definitely be nice.

reVerse on
    edited August 2010
    Stop DPSing Jedi Wizard/Disciple of Khaine/Warrior Priest (insert hybrid), I NEED A HEELZ!

That is going to be the biggest hurdle to get over. It's not going to be bioware's fault.

Boogdud on
    edited August 2010

Except when you're dps'ing you don't typically wipe the group when you take your hands off the keyboard for a second (dps race fights not included). Also, the reason you can't do anything because you 'have no healers' is because, healing sucks and nobody wants to do it.

I don't understand this attitude. I mean I have played characters that heal in a couple of MMOs, and I never felt like being a healer meant I somehow wasn't playing the game, or that I was a second class citizen or something.

I mean, in WoW, the difference between being a healer and being a DPS is that I'm clicking boxes that denote enemies before hitting my buttons, rather than clicking boxes that denote friendlies.

And it's easy to play any class lazily or poorly once you are practiced at it. You should see my druid tank five mans.

I do think that tanking is different from doing damage/healing, but that's primarily because you have the responsibility of setting the pace and "leading" the group, not because the gameplay itself is different.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Stop DPSing Jedi Wizard/Disciple of Khaine/Warrior Priest (insert hybrid), I NEED A HEELZ!

That is going to be the biggest hurdle to get over. It's not going to be bioware's fault.

Every time you post and I see your Corgi puppy avatar, I have a cuteness seizure.

GnomeTank on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There are ways to make healing more fun. Vampiric Touch in WoW made healing through DPS pretty enjoyable even if it wasn't that effective. Making healing something that's less spammy would allow the healer to also go into some dps than pull back to heal, and then get back in the action making it pretty dynamic.

Corgis are adorable.

I plan to play this game with you guys, so I'm not expecting to have to deal with too much retarded "STOP DPSING" stuff.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
    edited August 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Every time you post and I see your Corgi puppy avatar, I have a cuteness seizure.

We have two corgis and as pups they could warm the heart of any sith inquisitor. "I am here to enforce the will of the.. awwwww".

Eatit, I think the real peak of the 'helpless 2nd class citizen' ordeal in mmos was right about the time between black wing lair and AQ were the big things in raiding. I don't think any other MMO went to that level of asshatery as far as "having" to be heal spec'd and when you ARE heal spec'd you basically could not participate in any other part of the game because you couldn't kill anything by healing it to death. It was a real drag and obviously butthurt a lot of us.. ;)

Boogdud on
    edited August 2010
    Back in my day we couldn't respec out of being a Cleric in Everquest, and I would die trying to solo one mob 5 levels lower than me, and raiding consisted of being part of a complete heal rotation, where not only did you do nothing but heal, but you didn't even do it that often. You just cast complete heal, sit down and regen mana until your turn was back up in the rotation, and did it again. :lol:

We've come a long way.

Joshmvii on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, that was like five years ago.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited August 2010
    It was more like 13 years ago. They killed complete heal rotations like a decade ago. All I know is I'm going to be one bad mother of a Jedi tank. I'll let my wife worry about wizardly things and healing.

Joshmvii on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, that was like five years ago.

Yet current MMO's would kill to have wow's subscription numbers from 5 years ago... Yes, it was a long time ago in video game industry terms. But this mmo country and in mmo country, trends move reaaaal slow.

Of course, all of us have way more faith in Bioware than that (as we should). So I don't really expect it to be an issue. I was just saying because you were stating you didn't understand the attitude. Combine Josh & I's experiences and you get a good idea of where it comes from. I don't think anyone is saying it will be like that (as it's been stated there's evidence already to the contrary), that is just the fear of some folks.

Boogdud on
    edited August 2010
    Future MMOs can only be met with cautious optimism or outright fear of having hopes crushed. It's just what happens to fans of a genre that are disappointed so frequently. =)

Joshmvii on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey guys I heard you were discussing the new WoW KILLER

I came as fast as I could

Alegis on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Druids on the other hand were amazing in EQ and healing was much more fun when you wre spot healer and spot dpser. I liked being to do a bit of everything really well. I think WoW fucked up Druids.

But back to TOR, I hope the consular/inquisitor are much more hybrid types and maybe require attacks or abilities to be used to fill up a resource bar like the warrior priests or DoK.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
    edited August 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Hey guys I heard you were discussing the new WoW KILLER

I came as fast as I could

GOSH!

Boogdud on
  • SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, pardon my confusion reading through this conversation but... are people really complaining about the game having healers?

Doesn't that fall under the category of "if you don't want to do something, don't do it"? I played WoW for years performing all three roles, and EQ before that. I never did anything I didn't want to do (melee dps, bleh)

Also, my God I'm so excited for this game. I've been lurking the OP for months now and I'm about to shit a brick at the potential of this game.

SparserLogic on
    edited August 2010
    I think you're oversimplifying the discussion SparserLogic. I think we were trying to lay down scenarios where dedicated healers were no longer required. If the genre is going to survive past WoW, it's going to need to play with the formula a little bit, and one way to play with the formula is to start to devalue the holy trinity.

GnomeTank on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, let me get this straight.

There is a Healer Jedi Class. Jedi Consular.

They can spec either to be a complete fore powered machine that also heals.

Or they can be a FUCKING ROGUE THAT CAN HEAL WITH A DUAL BLADED LIGHTSABERGHALLKHRLKHA.

My boner is neverending.

Transporter on
  • KazooKazoo Get in the van. I have candy.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, pardon my confusion reading through this conversation but... are people really complaining about the game having healers?

Doesn't that fall under the category of "if you don't want to do something, don't do it"? I played WoW for years performing all three roles, and EQ before that. I never did anything I didn't want to do (melee dps, bleh)

Also, my God I'm so excited for this game. I've been lurking the OP for months now and I'm about to shit a brick at the potential of this game.

This game has no potential. It's a WoW clone with standard trinity healing and a shitty 'on rails' space combat add on. Combat is clunky and the graphics are 'meh' at best.
    Bioware is just trying to cash in on Blizzards success in the MMO market and like Funcom and RTW before it, will fail miserably.

:P

Kazoo on
  • SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think you're oversimplifying the discussion SparserLogic. I think we were trying to lay down scenarios where dedicated healers were no longer required. If the genre is going to survive past WoW, it's going to need to play with the formula a little bit, and one way to play with the formula is to start to devalue the holy trinity.

Fair enough.

I can appreciate wanting to switch up the formula but what about those of us that *want* to heal? I loved the time I spent healing on my Druid and my Paladin in WoW. Healers are the glue that hold MMO's together.

Now, if we're talking about potential formula alternatives, here's my favorite: NPC troops. Every group/raid gets to pick X/Y number of NPCs to include. If you're missing healers, get healing NPCs, missing DPS, get DPS, or just mix and match. Every human gets to do what they want and everyone gets to have fun because the group/raid is balanced and sufficient.

Didn't I hear talk that SW:TOR is going to involve mercenaries?

SparserLogic on
    edited August 2010

Fair enough.

I can appreciate wanting to switch up the formula but what about those of us that *want* to heal? I loved the time I spent healing on my Druid and my Paladin in WoW. Healers are the glue that hold MMO's together.

Now, if we're talking about potential formula alternatives, here's my favorite: NPC troops. Every group/raid gets to pick X/Y number of NPCs to include. If you're missing healers, get healing NPCs, missing DPS, get DPS, or just mix and match. Every human gets to do what they want and everyone gets to have fun because the group/raid is balanced and sufficient.

Didn't I hear talk that SW:TOR is going to involve mercenaries?

Companions. If you can't find a healer to run an instance, you can bring an NPC companion who likely won't be nearly as good as a real PC healer, but will be passable for the content.

GnomeTank on
    edited August 2010

Or they can be a FUCKING ROGUE THAT CAN HEAL WITH A DUAL BLADED LIGHTSABERGHALLKHRLKHA.

My boner is neverending.

If you choose the rogue path, I'm pretty sure you don't have a lot of healing prowess, but I could be wrong. You may still have some spot heals, but I doubt the rogue spec is going to be a primary healer.

GnomeTank on
    edited August 2010

My boner is neverending.

If you choose the rogue path, I'm pretty sure you don't have a lot of healing prowess, but I could be wrong. You may still have some spot heals, but I doubt the rogue spec is going to be a primary healer.

Assuming the base consular class has some healing ability, I doubt you'll lose that when you choose to become a Shadow, but I'm sure the shadow is going to be mostly about DPS. It'll probably be like an enhancement shaman in wow in terms of how potent/legit the healing ability is. It sounds pretty awesome either way though. I did not think there would be a stealth jedi class, I'll admit that.

Joshmvii on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kazoo wrote: »
    This game has no potential. It's a WoW clone with standard trinity healing and a shitty 'on rails' space combat add on. Combat is clunky and the graphics are 'meh' at best.
    Bioware is just trying to cash in on Blizzards success in the MMO market and like Funcom and RTW before it, will fail miserably.

:P

When did Kotaku's comment section come to this forum?

Well played.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
    edited August 2010

We have two corgis and as pups they could warm the heart of any sith inquisitor. "I am here to enforce the will of the.. awwwww".

We have two Corgis as well, and yes, they could melt the ice around the blackest of hearts, even as adults.

GnomeTank on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Here's my thing: I like the holy trinity setups because sometimes I find DPS really fucking boring. Games to me are the most exciting when you have responsibilities. You don't really have that as DPS. Tanks have a job, healers have a job, but unless every encounter has a strict enrage timer then the DPS are just sort of along for the ride. I don't know about Guild Wars 2 yet. There are some concepts that are interesting, but am I going to be able to roll another character and have a completely different role and set of responsibilities? I don't know.

Having said that, I vastly prefer the hybrid heal model (WAR's Warrior Priests, DoKs, Shamans and Archmages) to the "only heal" model (WoW's Resto Druid). The more jobs you can give me, the better.

Of course, I remember a while back they were talking about Smugglers getting dialogue talents. I can safely say that my desire for multiclassing is far outshone by my need for more dialogue options.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've pumped charisma into all my first characters for dialogue and reward options ever since Baldur's gate 1 over a decade ago.

Khaczor on
  • Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There is really no difference in gameplay, generally speaking, between healer and dps.

One hits buttons and makes green bars go up.

One hits buttons and makes green bars go down.

The reason people don't play healers is because playing a healer means being concerned about other people, and how MMO players give a shit about anybody other than themselves?

And finally, how are you going to balance a class that DPSes and heals? Either the dps or the healing would have to be insignificant, or they'd be ridiculously impossible to beat in PvP, and trivialize PvE encounters.

Agent Cooper on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There is really no difference in gameplay, generally speaking, between healer and dps.

The reason people don't play healers is because playing a healer means being concerned about other people, and how MMO players give a shit about anybody other than themselves?

No, they don't play healers because it's a thankless job. You do great, no one gives a shit. Something gets fucked up and the healer is the first to get blamed, regardless that the tank didn't hold aggro, or the DPS went too crazy with their damage. Honestly, with the amount of shit my wife took as a priest, I have no idea how she stuck with it so long.
    And finally, how are you going to balance a class that DPSes and heals? Either the dps or the healing would have to be insignificant, or they'd be ridiculously impossible to beat in PvP, and trivialize PvE encounters.

See: DAoC Friars, EQ2 Furies and Wardens, etc.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is it heals specifically that's driving people up the wall, or does the fact that there are also tanks piss people off?

Javen on
    edited August 2010
    EQ2 Furies are really, to me, one of the better balanced healer/DPS hybrids out there. As much as I'm not an EQ2 fan in general, that class specifically kept me playing it for quite a while.

e: I should point out, I actually think WoW has their hybrids pretty well balanced at this point to. But Fury has been a balanced example of a good hybrid for several years.

GnomeTank on
    edited August 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »

No, they don't play healers because it's a thankless job. You do great, no one gives a shit. Something gets fucked up and the healer is the first to get blamed, regardless that the tank didn't hold aggro, or the DPS went too crazy with their damage. Honestly, with the amount of shit my wife took as a priest, I have no idea how she stuck with it so long.

This really is just an argument for not playing with people who suck. It is just as frustrating to play with terribles as a DPS class as it is as a healer.

Also, healer is a thankless job, but DPS isn't?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
This discussion has been closed.