As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] Jennifer Hale voicing Trooper (Page 98)

• Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Well, obviously it's not going to be KoToR MMO style guys, because that wouldn't be compelling. So I've been told.

If there were never again another D&D CRPG I would be happy. Because d20 is a terrible system for computer games.

Clearly GURPS and 3d6 would be superior for the vidya.

Magic Radio on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    :lol: GURPS, where it takes one second to fire one bullet.

I want to see an MMO with a HL2 level of object manipulation and a RF level of terrain deformation. That, I think, is the next step in MMO's, where a player can make lasting changes to the environment rather than just murdering the inhabitants therein.

I wonder if the Sith caster (Inquisitor?) will break down in the same way, i.e. caster vs. stealth.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    delroland wrote: »
    I wonder if the Sith caster (Inquisitor?) will break down in the same way, i.e. caster vs. stealth.

Yes.

reVerse on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

Yes.

Is that official?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited August 2010

Yes.

Is that official?

Yes.

reVerse on
  • knightblade87knightblade87 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    That's what the defense stat, the various defense buffs, Knight's Speed and blaster blocking were for, avoidance. A Jedi Guardian with max Jedi Defense, a good Jedi Robe, and the appropriate melee buffs was a monster to even touch. Sure offensively it was all about flurry with duel sabers, but if you used the system right, you rarely got hit (until the Star Forge when the game just sent a gajillion enemies at you). Even then, I never once had, or felt compelled to have, a dedicated healer companion. I emergency healed with my MC as a Jedi Guardian.

And that sounds like a compelling multiplayer game in what way? Why should Jolee Bindo play with you if you both can do everything yourselves? And if you can and Jolee Bindo can't, why should Jolee Bindo play at all?

And probably most importantly, why pay $15 a month to play something like that?

Man, it's cool that you just want to play WoW in space, but you can be less of a prick to people who want something different. For that matter, your obtuse statements at this point prove you have no argument other than "I want WoW in space, and if you don't, nanner nanner".

Uh, no. I don't want WoW in Space at all.

But that's what this game is.

And that's what some people have a problem with. They talk all about revolutionizing storytelling in MMOs, innovation this and innovation that, and then they use the same old tired combat system every MMO since Everquest has used.

Having a good story is fine and all, but it can't carry a game.

true but not the defacto rule and can work the other way, final fantasy 10 had some of the best combat in the series but the story, art and characters made the game unbearable to players.

and we are also dealing with a genre where story is a key function. if we are talking about platformers or FPS i will %100 agree with you.

knightblade87 on
    edited August 2010
    and we are also dealing with a genre where story is a key function.

Yes, that's why the big selling point of TOR is how they're finally introducing a decent story to the genre...

reVerse on
  • knightblade87knightblade87 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    and we are also dealing with a genre where story is a key function.

Yes, that's why the big selling point of TOR is how they're finally introducing a decent story to the genre...

well i say it more of the presentation. most mmo handle story as a after thought. wow was getting better with it with WOTLK. but wow story was still years better then any mmo story in the past. this seem more like they trying to make it more like a single player RPG.

knightblade87 on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that the combat in TOR is the same as WoW and Everquest. Stuff like the cover system for smugglers and the lack of auto attack already differentiate it from that. If you just think the combat looks boring based on a couple beta videos or whatever that's fine, but it's certainly not just the same exact thing redone.

Anybody who wants some full action God of War style dodge and attack combat in an MMO is going to be disappointed. GW2 is promising the closest thing the genre has had to that, but I don't expect it to deliver the way they're saying it will, and that game is not really of the standard MMO genre anyway.

I am no less excited about TOR now that I've seen it in action. I happen to like hotkeys on a bar MMO style combat. I have FPS games, action games, and any other genre to get different styles of combat. Part of what's fun about RPGs in general is that there is more to the combat than dodge or get hit. There are stats like evasion and armor that change with gear and make you more survivable, etc. If you like Zelda more than Baldur's Gate, you may find TOR's combat boring, but that's not an attitude shared by all.

Joshmvii on
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tera also has very active combat by the looks of things.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TERA's combat is only more active than, say, TOR because you are required to aim your abilities at the enemies, rather than auto-aiming by clicking on the enemy. If you break it down, it's still just hotkey hitting without an auto-attack.

Oh, and your attacks don't do a ton of damage in TERA relative to mob health, so that "activity" is really just hitting the enemy more.

Not saying it's bad, in fact I'm actually looking forward to what TERA brings to the table. Just saying that the combat isn't really that much more "active" than TOR or any other MMO that lacks an auto attack.

Dourin on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's not just attacks.

In Tera you can COMPLETLEY avoid damage by not being braindead and looking for a monster's tells when it attacks.

It's basically an MMO Monster Hunter.

So yeah.

It's a shitton more active. Especially when compared to WoW/TOR.

I mean, I'll still buy TOR because I get to be a blind jedi with a goddamn doublesided lightsaber that has steath and has a goddamn heal.

Tera will not have that

Not at all.

Transporter on
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    At least Bioware is up front and honest about their combat, unlike certain other MMOs. I'd rather Bioware didn't lie to me, but maybe I'm just crazy like that.

Magic Radio on
  • NamonNamon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, obviously it's not going to be KoToR MMO style guys, because that wouldn't be compelling. So I've been told.

If there were never again another D&D CRPG I would be happy. Because d20 is a terrible system for computer games.

I really strongly agree with this and I think it would translate even worse for an MMO... (I know DDO but really that almost strengthens my argument). This was the number one reason I could never get into Bioware games was their infatuation with D20. I've heard Mass Effect and the like have gotten away from that so I really want to give those a shot.

Namon on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I kinda wish smuggler wasn't side specific..

I wanna be a smuggler but all the people I MMO with wanna be imperial

Grath on
    edited August 2010
    Be an Imperial Agent. They're basically cooler smugglers. The benefit of mirrored class system.

reVerse on
    edited August 2010
    Namon wrote: »

I really strongly agree with this and I think it would translate even worse for an MMO... (I know DDO but really that almost strengthens my argument). This was the number one reason I could never get into Bioware games was their infatuation with D20. I've heard Mass Effect and the like have gotten away from that so I really want to give those a shot.

If you play RPGs purely for the combat system, you're doing it wrong. Or at least you're not the customer Bioware is going for. Seriously, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are a couple of the greatest RPGs in the history of the genre, regardless of whether you like the pause and give commands style.

RPGs, especially Bioware RPGs, have always had a primary focus on story and character development, with combat being something you do but is rarely that compelling. None of Bioware's RPGs has ever had a combat system that made me think wow this is really cool, and that includes Mass Effect 1 and 2 which are just 3rd person shooters with a rock paper scissors system of abilities, but that has never kept those games from being amazing.

TOR is the same thing. They're bringing a focus on story into the MMO genre. The combat will not be revolutionary, it's just meant to play like a less passive WoW where you fight multiple enemies at once and smugglers use cover and you don't auto attack.

Joshmvii on
    edited August 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    If you play RPGs purely for the combat system, you're doing it wrong.

That's funny because the vast majority of "hardcore" RPG gamers are absolutely adamant in their position that if the game doesn't have a turn- and stat-based party-driven combat system, it's not an RPG. See "Mass Effect isn't an RPG".

reVerse on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Be an Imperial Agent. They're basically cooler smugglers. The benefit of mirrored class system.

But I wanna kick dudes in the groin then cap them in the head.

Grath on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

I got the impression that the imperial agent is possibly the only unique class. I mean, the smuggler doesn't have any kind of sniping spec, right ?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Bannon9kBannon9k Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wtb more leaked data!

Bannon9k on
    0d818a65ebcd82b7.png
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I got the impression that the imperial agent is possibly the only unique class. I mean, the smuggler doesn't have any kind of sniping spec, right ?

Troopers and Bounty Hunters are also looking to shape up pretty differently too. The Bounty Hunter has a lot more cool tech abilities and solo stuff, while the Trooper is a team player and has auras and such. Plus I think Troopers get heavier weapons than Bounty Hunters.

I think its just the Jedi classes that are really close anyways, the Knight/Warrior look virtually identical and the Consular/Inquisitor are very similar too.

Z0re on
    edited August 2010

That's funny because the vast majority of "hardcore" RPG gamers are absolutely adamant in their position that if the game doesn't have a turn- and stat-based party-driven combat system, it's not an RPG. See "Mass Effect isn't an RPG".

I've never heard anybody say Mass Effect is not a role playing game, but if I do I'll tell them they're a retard. Mass Effect is more about the story and less about the combat than pretty much any other bioware game. I guess the fact that RPG can mean something different to everybody is part of the confusion as well.

Joshmvii on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I also find this idea to be so silly it's baffling. It doesn't matter if an RPG has the combat system of Gears of War or Chrono Trigger. What matters is story. Yet people still think Final Fantasy 13 is more of an RPG than Mass Effect 2.

Some silly people out there.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know it's 300 years later... but, I wonder if there will be any KoToR cameos... even if they're just references.

Xehalus on
    edited August 2010
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I know it's 300 years later... but, I wonder if there will be any KoToR cameos... even if they're just references.

HK-47 has been hinted at pretty heavily by Bioware.

reVerse on
    edited August 2010

I really hope I can get a clone of him as my NPC companion.

"Your pupil one asked what I thought of him and I informed him of his meatbag status. He was unimpressed, but you found the reference humorous."

Xehalus on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I dunno, it'd be fun to see him again, but at the same time, I kind of feel like we've seen the best of HK and giving him any kind of significant role in this game would diminish him.

Maybe some descendants could be running around or something. That would be a fun enemy group to interact with.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    also oh boy let's have the 'what-is-an-rpg' argument

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited August 2010
    also oh boy let's have the 'what-is-an-rpg' argument
    "Query: Is there someone that you need killed, master?"

Xehalus on
    edited August 2010

I hope we see G0-T0 too.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Bannon9kBannon9k Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The best HK-47 comments are made on tattooine... when he's translating for the Jawa. That whole sequence cracks me up.

Bannon9k on
    0d818a65ebcd82b7.png
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Bioware really hit it out of the park with HK-47. Obsidian tried their best but it wasn't good. But over all, he's easily one of the best droid characters (of which, there are not many) in all of Star Wars.

It's amazing that they could write such an engaging character like HK-47 but make such a clone like T3-M4. Stupid T3-M4. You are not R2.

JustinSane07 on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought HK47 was better in 2 actually because Obsidian gave him some depth and I thought the voice actor nailed the delivery better. Actually I love all the droids in 2, T3 for being the real unsung hero of the game and GOTO for his story. Even the Czerka droids were fantastic.

I may be slightly biased because I played two several times before I touched one. I really felt like one was off and not as good as I expected.

Z0re on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Z0re wrote: »
    I thought HK47 was better in 2 actually because Obsidian gave him some depth and I thought the voice actor nailed the delivery better. Actually I love all the droids in 2, T3 for being the real unsung hero of the game and GOTO for his story. Even the Czerka droids were fantastic.

I may be slightly biased because I played two several times before I touched one. I really felt like one was off and not as good as I expected.

Yeah I'm kind of baffled by the idea of HK-47 being better in KOTOR 1 than 2. HK can be amusing and all, but he has the depth of a puddle in the first game. It's only in the second that he has anything beyond cheap laughs to offer, being literally coded with much of pre-mind wipe Revans philosophy and history he has a lot of neat stuff to say.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Z0re wrote: »

I would be playing the shit out of two right now if it would ever get released on Steam. I have the original XBox game, but it plays like total shit in the 360 BC. Laggy as hell, horrible frame rate...it drives me so nuts I end up not getting very far.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited August 2010
    Agreed, HK in Kotor 2 had much better character and dialog. He was beyond just a simple homicidal robot and became a homicidal robot with a philosophy that was colored by Revan.

It was one of the best retcons in history.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was also disappointed in the combat being the same EQ style. I haven't met a Bioware game I didn't like, yet, so I'll probably give this a shot. It looks much too slow for me though. I think Dark Millennium Online is probably more what I'm looking for but there's not a lot of info out on it yet.

Cabezone on
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Anyone know if this has opened up for more spots and best way to get one? :/

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »
    Anyone know if this has opened up for more spots and best way to get one? :/

There's really no further data on testing other than it's happening in small, focused groups. A small number of people receive an invitation during the week to play during the weekend. The testing is very focused, and might let them play a certain level range on a certain planet.

And that's really all we know. We don't really know what's been tested, other than a couple of the starting planets.

Melkster on
This discussion has been closed.