As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] Jennifer Hale voicing Trooper (Page 98)

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm weird with betas. I want to get in and play it now and I like trying to find bugs/exploits cause I want my game to be perfect. On the other hand, I hate starting over when beta is over and having the story/surprises ruined for me.

Patience young padawan.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Z0re wrote: »
    I thought HK47 was better in 2 actually because Obsidian gave him some depth and I thought the voice actor nailed the delivery better. Actually I love all the droids in 2, T3 for being the real unsung hero of the game and GOTO for his story. Even the Czerka droids were fantastic.

I may be slightly biased because I played two several times before I touched one. I really felt like one was off and not as good as I expected.

Yeah I'm kind of baffled by the idea of HK-47 being better in KOTOR 1 than 2. HK can be amusing and all, but he has the depth of a puddle in the first game. It's only in the second that he has anything beyond cheap laughs to offer, being literally coded with much of pre-mind wipe Revans philosophy and history he has a lot of neat stuff to say.

Favorite moment of HK in 2 is when you install the Pacification Routines. Well, I take that back, him in the HK factory if you get the Restored Content Mod is probably the best. Third place is the conversation you can have where he basically tells you he's sizing you up in case he ever has to kill you.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
    edited August 2010
    Naw, asking HK if he knows what love is, that is up there in the rankings.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Naw, asking HK if he knows what love is, that is up there in the rankings.

I'm not sure which is more hilarious:

The fact that he gives an answer that makes sense while being so morbid or the fact that having that answer implies he's actually thought about the matter before.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Bannon9kBannon9k Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So uh... what's the friday update today? For those of us blocked by websense.

Bannon9k on
    0d818a65ebcd82b7.png
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    just the comic, it looks like

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm weird with betas. I want to get in and play it now and I like trying to find bugs/exploits cause I want my game to be perfect. On the other hand, I hate starting over when beta is over and having the story/surprises ruined for me.

Patience young padawan.

That's why I play classes that I'm not as interested in during beta! I get to see all the scenes I'd miss otherwise while I'm busy playing whatever it is I really want to play.

DemonStacey on
  • NamonNamon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Namon wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Well, obviously it's not going to be KoToR MMO style guys, because that wouldn't be compelling. So I've been told.

If there were never again another D&D CRPG I would be happy. Because d20 is a terrible system for computer games.

I really strongly agree with this and I think it would translate even worse for an MMO... (I know DDO but really that almost strengthens my argument). This was the number one reason I could never get into Bioware games was their infatuation with D20. I've heard Mass Effect and the like have gotten away from that so I really want to give those a shot.

If you play RPGs purely for the combat system, you're doing it wrong. Or at least you're not the customer Bioware is going for. Seriously, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are a couple of the greatest RPGs in the history of the genre, regardless of whether you like the pause and give commands style.

RPGs, especially Bioware RPGs, have always had a primary focus on story and character development, with combat being something you do but is rarely that compelling. None of Bioware's RPGs has ever had a combat system that made me think wow this is really cool, and that includes Mass Effect 1 and 2 which are just 3rd person shooters with a rock paper scissors system of abilities, but that has never kept those games from being amazing.

TOR is the same thing. They're bringing a focus on story into the MMO genre. The combat will not be revolutionary, it's just meant to play like a less passive WoW where you fight multiple enemies at once and smugglers use cover and you don't auto attack.

I'm sorry but I am one that does. But... I'm not saying having a heavy lean on story is a bad thing really. Just not my cup of tea and going into this I know most likely neither will TOR. It's cool because I really honestly think this will be a home run to a lot of people out there. I more prefer the stat building, item gathering, and character building (in a non story sense). I just saw some of the preview videos and it did look like they were doing the more "classic" approach and thought they'd try to do more of a broader appeal. I was hoping for the WoW style 60 levels of experience with all the stats that go along with it, with the added "bonus" of having a heavy story if you so chose to go that path.

Namon on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really would enjoy an MMO that doen't have "levels" in it again.

Ultima Online was the first MMO and IMO they got it right the first time.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Every MMO has levels. They may call it something else, but the only way to keep people subscribed is to have some sort of character progression, and making it skill points only with no numerical level tied to it doesn't change what it is.

Joshmvii on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Every MMO has levels. They may call it something else, but the only way to keep people subscribed is to have some sort of character progression, and making it skill points only with no numerical level tied to it doesn't change what it is.

Correct, the difference comes in with who can group together.

Skillpoints - A fairly new character can participate in the game with a veteran character.

General Levels - A fairly new character most likely can't participate in the game with a veteran character.

In Ultima Online, all my friends can play together, go anywhere in the world together regardless of their skillsets.

In World of Warcraft, My level 20 friends can't play the game with my level 40 friends who can't play the game with my level 60 friends.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    edited August 2010
    I happen to prefer level based systems, but I will be glad when the day comes that mentoring is a standard feature of all MMOs, because the games that have it like EQ2, FFXI, etc. have only been massively improved with its addition.

I guess I just like the numerical reference to how powerful I am, but I do agree that making it easier for more people to group together is also important, which is why I like mentoring systems.

Joshmvii on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »

Correct, the difference comes in with who can group together.

Skillpoints - A fairly new character can participate in the game with a veteran character.

General Levels - A fairly new character most likely can't participate in the game with a veteran character.

In Ultima Online, all my friends can play together, go anywhere in the world together regardless of their skillsets.

In World of Warcraft, My level 20 friends can't play the game with my level 40 friends who can't play the game with my level 60 friends.

That's not entirely due to the leveling system. MMO's like WoW and EQ, base the damage you do off of your level compared to your target. It's something unique to the genre and a game design choice I really hate. Without this system the range of levels that can travel together is fairly broad.

Cabezone on
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is it just me, or is anybody else really excited by being able to go back to Taris.

Cause I really, really want to see if any of the stuff that Revan did has left a lasting mark.

Oh, come on, I'm shitting myself. Of course the stuff the Revan did will leave a lasting mark. If another game company was writing this, then maybe not. But Bioware is writing this story. There will be easter eggs for KOTOR players.

Rchanen on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think easter egg is the term you're looking for. An easter egg is something hidden, something easy to miss, and generally has nothing at all to do with the primary subject matter. For example, in Warcraft 3, in one of the underground cave levels, you are able to find the world's largest panda. This is basically what started the whole pandaren craze, but originally it was just a hidden room.

Putting something in a game that has something to do with the exact same subject matter as a previous game is not an easter egg. Its called a sequel.

Lucascraft on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    I really would enjoy an MMO that doen't have "levels" in it again.

Ultima Online was the first MMO and IMO they got it right the first time.

I actually really enjoyed the skill system of SWG. You could be what you wanted to be..you had so many skill points, and as you gained experience you could purchase slots of different trees.

I remember when it first came out, my friends and I would organize hunts on Dantooine and later Dathomir. We'd have veterans playing with brand new players...was always a ton of fun.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't think easter egg is the term you're looking for. An easter egg is something hidden, something easy to miss, and generally has nothing at all to do with the primary subject matter. For example, in Warcraft 3, in one of the underground cave levels, you are able to find the world's largest panda. This is basically what started the whole pandaren craze, but originally it was just a hidden room.

Putting something in a game that has something to do with the exact same subject matter as a previous game is not an easter egg. Its called a sequel.

Welcome to the city of arguing over semantics, population: You. Clearly the guy just means he thinks there will be things that only players that played KotOR will appreciate.

Joshmvii on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's not an easter egg, though. More of a shout-out or call back.

Captain Carrot on
    edited August 2010
    A shout out that will be appreciated by people who have experienced whatever medium you're referring to with it is pretty much the definition of a video game easter egg. Maybe there will be something that shows up on Taris in TOR that was never directly referenced in KotOR, but is obviously connected. That's what the guy was talking about, so arguing over semantics seems more than a little pointless.

Joshmvii on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hope the stealth split of Sith Inquisitors looks less man-in-a-dress and more:
    Assassin_News.png

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm torn now... I still plan on being a Jedi Consular but now do I go Shadow or Wizard?

Leaning towards Shadow because I pretty much always start out with a casting class and it might be nice to try stealth.

Invisible on
    edited August 2010
    A shout out that will be appreciated by people who have experienced whatever medium you're referring to with it is pretty much the definition of a video game easter egg. Maybe there will be something that shows up on Taris in TOR that was never directly referenced in KotOR, but is obviously connected. That's what the guy was talking about, so arguing over semantics seems more than a little pointless.

Yeah. That is what I meant. An Easter egg usually does tend to be hidden very well. And sometimes has no relationship to the story at all.

This would be a shout out, call back, or, depending on what it is, in-joke (if they make it funny).

And I feel confident there will be one. I mean come on, its Taris.

Rchanen on
    edited August 2010
    Invisible wrote: »
    I'm torn now... I still plan on being a Jedi Consular but now do I go Shadow or Wizard?

Leaning towards Shadow because I pretty much always start out with a casting class and it might be nice to try stealth.

I'd say Shadow as well. A) You are interested in it. B) The stealth option can be very interesting, story-wise. And you can bet that Bioware will work in a way for stealth to be story-important. So I say stealth it up.

I am in a similar jam. When I play an RPG I like to base my character on a existing fictional character and try to act the way they would. I find that if I don't I start acting like myself and just choose what I would do. And that's fine for a first run, but it sucks for replay. Cause the next time around I make the same choices. You see where I am going with this.

I wanted to make a Sokka-like Jedi Knight. Basically a Jedi Knight whose key powers were being good with a lightsaber and being a giant smartass. The giant smartass part I can cover by myself. But should I go Guardian (single saber, which is Sokka-esque, but wears heavy armor, not so much in keeping with what I think of Sokka.) Or do I go Sentinel (saber mastery according to the TOR website, which is in keeping with Sokka, but two lightsabers, which is not).

Also, TANK or DPS, and since I am a first time MMORPG player, I have to think of the consequences of taking on responsibiliites I am not familiar with in a group situation. So I have to ask, which is easier for a newbie to adapt to?

Rchanen on
    edited August 2010
    DPS is usually considered easiest. Not always the case, but as a general rule of thumb, DPS is more beginner friendly. Tanks typically have to keep adds under control and manage the pace of the group. Healers have to keep the group alive.

When something goes wrong, people generally blame the tank or the healer, even if it was the DPS's fault. Especially if it's a shitty DPS.

I'm gonna be a tank myself though, I like the challenge. Jedi guardian for sure, maybe a trooper later.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• AlaskanInsomniacAlaskanInsomniac Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just recently played through the Force Unleashed and (despite some bugginess as the game progessed) had a blast with it. Well aware the games aren't related or anyting, just saying that the Force Unleashed has re-whet (spelling on that?) my appetite for Jedi on Sith murder action.

Also convinced my wife to play with me when this finally goes gold, so it is going to be a marital boon as well!

Now all I need is HK-47 in some form of cameo and I'll be able to die happy.

Also, I'd like to play something that doesn't require a raid group in order to enjoy some progression.

AlaskanInsomniac on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've seen MMOs do mixed things to people's relationships. I have some married friends that really enjoy playing together, but I know some that get way too frustrated with each others play. Usually one will want to just smash through levels as quickly as possible where the other will want to take it at a slower pace taking it all in.

I see this game having that problem with all the dialogue. I know I'm going to group with some douchebags that will just skip it all to level up their character "Assblaster420" faster.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
    edited August 2010
    The only reason my wife and I got marries was because I convinced her that playing WoW would better our relationship. She totally bought it.

I told her she has to play ToR with me too.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The only reason my wife and I got marries was because I convinced her that playing WoW would better our relationship. She totally bought it.

I told her she has to play ToR with me too.
    Did you convince her to roll a healer, as well?

Xehalus on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "Shit, our main heals just /gquit. What are we gonna do now? Oh, hey there, baby. You're hot and we need a healer, let's get married!"

:lol:

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DPS is usually considered easiest. Not always the case, but as a general rule of thumb, DPS is more beginner friendly. Tanks typically have to keep adds under control and manage the pace of the group. Healers have to keep the group alive.

It's certainly less stress. Your primary concern tends to shift away from "What do I do to keep the group alive" to "what do I do to better my own play." Technically the former entails the latter, but the mental approach is different. You don't have to worry about someone getting mauled when you experiment with a rotation/priority list change or different spec.

The downside is that there can be more boredom. If you need a group to do something, the chokepoints are usually available tanks and healers so dps may spend time waiting around for some to be available.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "Hop online and throw me some heals" is the new "get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich."

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited August 2010
    I've been dating the same girl for the last 5 years (anniversary next week) to play this game with me. I've gotten her into video games over the past 5 years. She really likes Zelda games, so my next goal is to get her to try RPGs and then MMORPGs. I'm running out of time though. I have like 8 months until this game hits. I'm hoping all these dumb facebook games are priming the pump for MMO games.

Luckily, she is a Star Wars fan, so that might make it a bit easier.

devCharles on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    devCharles wrote: »
    I've been dating the same girl for the last 5 years (anniversary next week) to play this game with me. I've gotten her into video games over the past 5 years. She really likes Zelda games, so my next goal is to get her to try RPGs and then MMORPGs. I'm running out of time though. I have like 8 months until this game hits. I'm hoping all these dumb facebook games are priming the pump for MMO games.

Dude, you started dating a girl 5 years ago so that in 8 months she would play an MMO with you?

That's some major dedication, dude.

Terrendos on
    edited August 2010
    I am nothing if not dedicated.

Realistically though, she's probably not going to play. I have a feeling I'd get frustrated in a MMO environment with her.

devCharles on
    edited August 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »

Dude, you started dating a girl 5 years ago so that in 8 months she would play an MMO with you?

This is my new sig.

Rchanen on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I got lucky and started dating someone I met in WoW who is looking forward to new MMOs like this one just as much as me. It's better to play with friends.

On another note, Space combat looks half decent, but still not noteworthy enough for me to think it's anything that I would mention as a plus when recommending this game. I am curious what kind of capacity it will take in the game and the story arcs though.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited August 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »

I think it's an achievement on WoW if you get someone to marry you and then kill Arthas within 5 years.

Times running out dude!

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

When something goes wrong, people generally blame the tank or the healer, even if it was the DPS's fault. Especially if it's a shitty DPS.

I'm gonna be a tank myself though, I like the challenge. Jedi guardian for sure, maybe a trooper later.

I don't think a lot of the dps classes in Warhammer were beginner freindly, the healing classes were just confusing. I am going to play a bounty hunter and maybe a soldier but it's the idea they can be a walking tank that bothers me

Brainleech on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The class info isn't sorted very well in the OP. Are there prestige classes for non-jedi? Like I know Jedi Wizard is a caster class , but lets say I want to get my Smuggler on. What can I prestige into with a Smuggler?

Lucascraft on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Scoundrel and Gunslinger, like it says in the OP.

reVerse on
This discussion has been closed.