As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tomb of Horrors IC (Inevitable Corpses)

• Options
    PepiPopaPepiPopa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aleksanders leg twitches as his body tries to stand up but is unable to.

PepiPopa on
    Our testament and story is forever death or glory.
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Turn7.jpg

The flames take their toll and red hot chunks of rock start to ping from the gargoyle's joints. It is still holding together though and decides it wants to make up for its inability to swat that annoying Minotaur fly this entire fight. Three mean swipes later and with that slight upon its honour as a tomb guardian settled, the beast flaps over to spend some quality time with the wizard in the corner.
    4 swipes vs Terios

1d20+15;4d6+6 → [11,15] = (26)
    1d20+15;4d6+6 → [6,1,1,3,6] = (17)
    1d20+15;4d6+6 → [10,15] = (25)
    1d20+15;4d6+6 → [6,4,5,2,6] = (23)
    1d20+15;4d6+6 → [10,15] = (25)
    1d20+15;4d6+6 → [3,6,4,4,6] = (23)
    1d20+15;4d6+6 → [8,15] = (23)
    1d20+15;4d6+6 → [6,6,1,3,6] = (22)

3 hits for 63 damage. For being hit by at least two out of four attacks he is also dazed, save ends.

Move to D3/E4

Mike gets an OA

29 - Derek: 21/54
    23 - Terios: 7/70 Dazed, save ends.
    17 - Gargoyle: 32/428
    14 - Ferdinand: -2/64 Strike 1
    13 - Mike: 48/63 Due an OA
    11 - Aleksander: -7/58

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mike is surprised by the gargoyles sudden movement, and his blade swipes harmlessly through empty air.
    rolled a 1

streever on
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ferdinand manages to bleed all over the floor a little bit less.

Aleksander's Death throw/Derek is up Next

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Mike's proper turn as well.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Steelhawk, does Magic Missle do a guaranteed 10? I'd say pop that, and we can pray that Terios gets off at least 2 points of damage. Do we have any other auto damage powers?

"He dies now, or we do," Mike says grimly, to no one in particular, as he continues to do his part to see the gargoyle dead.
    Move: D2
    Standard:
    Clever Strike vs AC: 1d20+18 28 1d4+7 8 2d6+4 12 (clever strike grants me CA because I have an adjacent ally to the gargoyle)
    28 hits, for 20 damage!
    AP is used up and I have no more tricks, so someone, please kill this thing. He has 12 hp left!

Gargoyle: 12/428

streever on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Actually...it does a guaranteed 11 (2(base)+5(Int)+2(wand)+2(off hand wand/dual implement)) points of damage! I was wrong last time, but I'm not going to go back 2 turns and ask for an extra point of damage.

Derek casts another Magic Missile at the Gargoyle (for 11 damage!).

Someone please take care of this damn thing, or can I have that extra point of damage from 2 turns ago?

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If terios can't cough at it to kill it, we might as well give up now :)

streever on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    and maybe you should move in, so terios can get CA from flanking with you?

streever on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Are we not flanking already?

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Once, in a man's(or in this case, cow's) life, there is a moment. A moment that will decide how that man(cow)'s future will unfurl. Terios knew that he was upon such a pivotal moment, and put all his energy into his next swing.
    Word of Diminishment, Hits for 12 F#*$ING FINALLY

The gargoyle has taken too much, and begins to crumble at everyone's feet.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    As the Gargoyle collapses into rubble, the standing party members breath a quick sigh of relief. However with two of their number in a bad way and fading fast, the pressure is not off yet.

We remain in rounds until everyone is stable. Aleksander still owes us a death save from the last round, then we're on to this round's death save for Ferdinand before Mike can start the CPR.

As a reminder it's DC15 heal check to stabilize. Looking back it seems Ferdinand hasn't used his second wind so only DC10 required to kick that one off from him.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Fondor_Yards on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Aleksander's body continues to bleed on the cold floor next to the pieces of the beast.

I have a strange ability to roll the same roll twice. I am magic.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Both the bodies are now one fail from death! Mike up next.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Mike drops his daggers at his feet, pulling out two healing potions, and pours one down the throat of the nearest ally.

"Terios! Give this to him!" he shouts.

Free: drop weapons
    Move and Standard converted to two minors
    Minor x2 draw potions of healing
    Minor: Pour one down nearest ally's throat

streever on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Derek, while casting worried glances at his companions, checks over the Gargoyles body.

Perception = 22
    Arcana = critical fail!
    Dungeoneering = 21 (Includes +5 from Deep Sage feat)

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Derek, while casting worried glances at his companions, checks over the Gargoyles body.

Perception = 22
    Arcana = critical fail!

No no no, you want to use heal on one of our companions :D. Even if you fail, it won't kill them, and maybe they'll live.

streever on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    streever wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Perception = 22
    Arcana = critical fail!

No no no, you want to use heal on one of our companions :D. Even if you fail, it won't kill them, and maybe they'll live.

Oh very well. :)

Heal = 25

Derek will move to the other one of the fallen heroes, the one without the potion in his throat, and uses his vast medical knowledge to patch him up.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Aleksander gets up looking confused. He approaches the beasts head on the ground and kicks it violently.
    "Yeah i thought so. Who is the tough guy now?" The insane assassin gets his drink out of his backpack taking a large sip.
    " Anyone want a sip?"

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Everybody now in something approximating good shape, you settle down for a [short rest] and scout out the room.

You fish out of the rubble a leather collar that was once around the gargoyle's neck. It is studded with blue quartz stones which are easily removed from their settings and stashed in the loot bag (250GP). Written around the inside of the band are arcane runes which the party magic users get to work on deciphering (easily done with take 10 checks during the rest).

Some of the writing is part of an enchantment that will summon the next stone gargoyle to replace the recently murderised one. This process can't be stopped but Derek can determine that it will be a good few days before the enchantment activates so you should be free from stone gargoyle based interruption in your tomb delving should you need to pass back through this way.

The remaining writing is a hidden message,

"Look low and high for gold,
    to hear a tale untold.
    The archway at the end,
    and on your way you'll wend.

-A"

Poking through the animate rubble on the floor you find nothing of interest beneath it. It still moves around but seems to have lost its purpose with the destruction of the gargoyle and no longer makes any attempt to attack.

Two doors. Forward, backward, or rest?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Standing up, Ferdinand looks down at the crushed remains of their foe. "I guess there weren't joking when they said this was going to be tough. Can't wait for the next room now, it's actually getting fun."

Including the second wind there I'll burn 3 more surges to top off. I'd say keep going, still got half my surges. That will be enough....right guys? Right?

Fondor_Yards on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Mike wraps his injuries, making sure his moustaches are still glorious.
    burn 1 surge to get to full, and I say move forward!

streever on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    4 surges to get to 68/70. I say forward.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    4 surges to get me to 56/58 im at 3/9 surges left and I'm at max health. Rest? There is no rest in the tomb of horrors.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Derek will burn two more surges to get back to 47/54. 4/7 surges left.

Smoothing his cloak and readjusting his pouches after the beating he took. Derek smoothes his goatee and says, "Onwards!!"

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You open the unexplored door and move on in, finding yourself in a short featureless corridor ending in another iron door. After checking it out and finding it to be clean of traps or magical shenanigans you open it in order to carry on, but are stopped short as it rattles and moves a little but doesn't give. You can see no mechanical reason for this so one of the stouter party members gives it a hard shove and is rewarded with the sound of crumbling and a bit more movement. A few hefty pushes later and in a cloud of plaster dust it finally, slowly grinds forward and open.

When the clouds settle and you can see where you are, satisfaction quickly turns to frustration. In front of you is a deep spiked pit with an open trapdoor hanging at its lip. Opposite is a familiar ornately frescoed wall. Across from the pit is a colourful mosaic floor you have definitely seen before.

Peeking a head around the corner confirms your suspicions. You have just burst forth from the fresco of the torture chamber and are back in the first corridor you came across when you entered the tomb.

Mapfuller.jpg

The mess of rooms below the Gargoyle fight room is the gauntlet corridor of doors and nothing more.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    "Motherfucker!" Derek mutters on entering the hallway again. He starts looking around the room, trying to remember the details.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    "Looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit longer for the next room. Dam wizards, couldn't make a straight path could he?" Looking around the hallway, he leaps over the pit trap onto the tiled path. "What do you think, check the pits for more gems? Those last ones came in handy."

Torture chamber indeed. Athletics check to jump over the pit: 24 passed easy with Crane's Wings.

Fondor_Yards on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    "So...who remembers how to get back to where we were without getting killed?"

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thinking back to the small collapse that forced you onwards from the three armed statue room, whilst it was impossible to kick backwards when already in a crawlway facing in the wrong direction, you think it would be relatively easy for strapping lads such as yourselves to clear away from within the statue room.

Whilst you all enjoyed the acrobatic display of Ferdinand's ninja leap, there is enough floor within reach to easily just step out into the corridor if desired.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    "Welp, looks like we'd better start clearing some rubble."

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    "Pfft" Aleksander exclaimed as he was pouring the remaining blood wine into his mouth.
    "Can't we just go and try and get out through the exit seeing as this is the room you guys came through.
    *Hic* And you know just go sleep somewhere less horrory and come back lat- *HIC* later."

As he spoke Aleksander seemed really interested in the stone walls chipping at them randomly with his dagger. Like a child plays with a stick on a fence.

"Imma look for another ex- *HIC* exit."

Perception - 1d20+8: 10

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Aleksander wanders up and down the corridor chipping away at the other frescoes. None of them hold any other concealed surprises.

One of the more lucid party members thinks back to the poem on the floor and its first line.

'Go back to the tormentor or through the arch,'

Assuming the tormentor is a reference to the torture chamber frescoe, then that acurately describes the two safe exits you have found from this room.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Farangu has placed one vote for returning the orb hall via the teleportation arch. Any other opinions yay or nay?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    yay

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sure.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    LEt's do it!

streever on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The gems around the teleportation arch have dimmed but the same sequence of presses soon lights them up again. Holding your breath and stepping through you are happy to find that nothing has changed and you are once again in the room with the three armed statue, its fists still clenched.

Digging through the rubble to expose the crawlway is easy work though you are surprised to find no evidence of the body of your fallen companion within the debris. On the one hand you aren't able to loot his stuff, but on the other it makes the job much less messy so you shrug it off as part of the mysteries of this place and carry on.

Soon you all re-emerge once more into the hall of orbs.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    "Hey wizard, let's see if you can find us a path again. Hopefully one that isn't a big circle."

Fondor_Yards on