As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This right here's a [CHAT].

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ohh beavs I'm so happy for you! Seems like you're always on the right spot at the right time when it comes to the animation bizniz.

m3nace on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i think i just really know how to network and talk to people
    and that is the key to getting anywheres in this industry
    because there's a lot of great artists around who seem to be spinning their tires, just gotta get yourself out there.

beavotron on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    beavotron wrote: »

It's the key to getting anywhere!

Also, metal, I ordered the laser guillotine.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

It's the key to getting anywhere!

Also, metal, I ordered the laser guillotine.

atta boy!

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah that's very cool, Beavotron.

That talk of internet art culture vs the study of classic art reminds me of Confucius's six becloudings. Basically, he said that any virtuous human trait can go awry if it's not enriched through proper study. That's a pretty obvious truth if you know what "proper study" is and why it's important.

In today's world, I think we should remember that (despite how superficial and homogenized things can seem on the internet--where any picture you want to see is a few clicks away) we are the latest subjects of art history. We should know the work of those who came before us, and we should understand the intellectual and aesthetic leaps those artists in the past have made. And also, while some derivation is natural, I think we should always aim for experimentation in our art. The famous quote that applies here is, "If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Basically, artists miss out on a lot if they refuse to learn from historically important artwork.

Paradise on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    beavs wrote:
    networking
    Gah
    The one thing I've always sucked (the most) at.
    edit: not as in a miserable guy who can't talk to people. I just can't keep in touch

m3nace on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    But that just makes artist living now feel insignificant.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    m3nace wrote: »
    beavs wrote:
    networking
    Gah
    The one thing I've always sucked (the most) at.
    edit: not as in a miserable guy who can't talk to people. I just can't keep in touch

I've found that if you make a really good last impression, people will remember you fondly and then when they meet you again at a job interview or where ever life throws you. This is what I call passive networking.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i think i just really know how to network and talk to people
    because there's a lot of great artists around who seem to be spinning their tires, just gotta get yourself out there.

Yeauh no it is, and like you said seasoned artists love to help out and even give you lectures over your portfolio. So sometimes they will actually give you emails and have you work with them and what not. Some guys are really upstanding in the field.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    holy shit i need something to do with myself
    i need some type of really demanding job or like
    a really intense hobby
    because everyone is moving away and all i do all day is wander around aimlessly

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    RubberAC wrote: »
    a really intense hobby

I felt this way for a while. I even got really depressed when I realized that all these people I've been chatting with for close to seven years all got some neat art gigs and I didn't. I felt like they'd all taken off and I was just sitting there on my lazy ass doing nothing.

Then I was like, Oh wait, I'm an engineer.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    RubberAC wrote: »
    a really intense hobby

I felt this way for a while. I even got really depressed when I realized that all these people I've been chatting with for close to seven years all got some neat art gigs and I didn't. I felt like they'd all taken off and I was just sitting there on my lazy ass doing nothing.

Then I was like, Oh wait, I'm an engineer.

My therapist convinced me to think more positively and it's been much better.

I graduated from one of the toughest art colleges in the country
    I've worked at Disney
    I''m a college professor

PROX on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I still have crippling artistic self-doubt...although it's not as bad as it used to be. Comes in phases, I think. I try to think in terms of "eventually" now instead of solid timeframes. Makes me feel like less of a failure if I don't meet my imagined deadlines.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Never let that self-doubt get you down too much.

All the greats are winging it.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Everyone has self doubt! The difference is if you're gonna let it stop you from trying your hardest. Doubt will always be there, not just in art, in anything you do, but you have to push it aside and jump into your goal wholeheartedly.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    ND, when you're down listen to more hip-hop. Music saves me all the time.

Iruka on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    guuuuys!
    SO i went to this bill perkins lecture
    he's an incredible disney layout artist, he was also art director for aladdin

anyways, at break time, i needed coffee bad so i booked it towards starbucks
    and apparently he is also a speed walker, so we both ended up walking together chatting about why i was here, where i'm from all that stuff, and I was asking him questions about working and stuff
    so at the end he gives me his email address and tells me the best way for me to spend my time while i'm here is to get in contact with some story artists and character designers and things, and he just happens to know quite a few

so, completely bewildered at the incredible offer, i send him a little email with my information, my portfolio link and stuff
    and he sends this back to me:
    How long will you be in town? If you are free to come in I could introduce you to some of the story team here at Disney and some of them have good friends at Dreamworks too so they might be able to refer you to someone there to visit as well. I saw your site and the drawings are charming and more than enough for story but they really look for storytelling abilities so it might be good to talk with one of them directly.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

So far my experience with animation people is that no matter how high up the food chain they are, they seem totally willing to kind of "pay it forward" to young artists and give them help and connections
    it's incredible
    which, really is how it should be

and the more I thought about it on my way home, the more I realized that's what's missing in modern illustration and animation... and really art in general!
    In the past, in both animation and illustration, artists learned from the generations before them. Professionals who had been working in the industry, who were incredibly good at what they do. Inspiration was given to young artists by people who had been published in books, galleries or in film. And only the best were published.
    But now with things like deviantart, a networking site where artists of all skill levels can post and share their work, young artists are getting inspiration and even instruction from other young artists...young artists who copied from other young artists who copied from other young artists who copied from some fad the saw, or maybe were creative enough to develop.
    I think that what it's leading to is a lack of integrity in all aspects of art, illustration, animation, all of it. Less people are looking at great artists like howard pyle, lyendecker, milt khal.. (unless they happen to be snooping around the right kinds of forums of course) and are instead looking to each other.
    I look at concept art forums and find myself less and less impressed by the super detailed, super rendered stuff I see on there. Because I generally see a complete lack of character or true design in them. Lots of attention to structure and rendering, but absolutely no story behind any of it. This doesn't apply to ALL of course, many of the professional featured artists on there have incredible story and character in their work... but they are professionals, and if you ask any of them who they draw their inspiration from, it tends to be past generations of fine and entertainment artists.
    The danger in that, is I remember being SO impressed by that stuff growing up as a young artist. I drew so much inspiration from my peers, which is not in and of itself a bad thing... if that inspiration is informed and supplemented by inspiration from people who know what the hell they're doing.

I dunno, I feel like I'm rambling, but I wanted to voice this stuff and maybe talk about it with you guys, see what you have to say on the matter

Oh also I wanted to add, that in my opinion when reflecting on my own work, it was only when I started looking past current artists for inspiration that my work started to really pick up and become better.
    I'm thinking back when I started pulling my inspiration from UPA and Mary Blair, and from there I started looking at their influences like kandinsky and picasso... that's when my art started to get better in my mind. Still a long way to go obviously...Eh, just a thought.

This was an awesome post and needs to span at least two pages of this thread.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Something in Beav's huge posts there reminded me of a time when a friend of my sister's emailed her about having his girlfriend talk to me because "she was an artist, too!".

Then I looked at her deviantart site link and it consisted 100% of mediocre drawings of wolves using the Balto character design. Not, similar to Balto, it was Balto. Keep in mind this person had to be in their late 20's, older than I am.

I ended up not responding because I couldn't think of any way I could both be honest and not come across as a huge asshole, unless I dodged the subject of art entirely somehow. Which in itself made me feel like an asshole. :?

Also I really am terrified of approaching people I don't know in general, much less people with Art God reputations, so I suck at networking on both ends.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm good at talking to people, just bad at asking them to do things for me.
    I'm always thinking "Why the fuck should they do anything for me? I've never done anything for them."
    Plus I'm painfully self-sufficient to the point where people want to help but I don't let them.

Mustang on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    People put a huge stress on 'networking' and building it up in their minds, but what I've found is that the best way to make connections is to just find awesome people and be friends with them. If, like beav did, you are awesome and genuine, professionals will respect that and pay attention, because so many people are focused on networking in the mercenary sense. People who are genuine and care about their craft get noticed and remembered.

Like beav.
    (beav rules)

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So what's happening in Canadia with the commonwealth games at the moment? We've had our first athlete pull out already due to the dodgy Indian infrastructure.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    So somebody gave me a Mini-munny for free.

I need to do some kinda art thing with this.

What should I do with this?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    www.livestream.com/mulldacity

streaming now!

maybe i'll try out this smoothness thing bacon suggests

mully on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So somebody gave me a Mini-munny for free.

I need to do some kinda art thing with this.

What should I do with this?

Surely this new job pays you enough to have a disposable income of more than $9.95?
    Also you should make a haggard sea captain.

EDIT: Unnghh, I read that as give, instead of gave. Like you were demanding a free mini-munny, so basically ignore this post except for the sea captain bit.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Man, there is this kid that I want to punch in the face! He just yammers on about what ever subject the room is discussing and how he has somehow already done that or knows how to do that. He knows everything! Urrrgh! I have very little patience for people who either know everything or are always right.

These are the only two people in the world I dislike.

Edit: And my copywriter.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Don't forget interns, and people who read emails over your shoulder.

Also you should probably add people who eat and drink in elevators, I fucking hate those people.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I mostly hate machines.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    Don't forget interns, and people who read emails over your shoulder.

Also you should probably add people who eat and drink in elevators, I fucking hate those people.

The intern was the one reading my emails over my shoulder. But yes, I forgot about them...

Man, I've come to realize this year that ever since I got rejected from that job at the beginning of the year... I haven't really been acting the same. I am 10% meaner.

I'm not liking this part of me, this part of me is a jerk.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ugh BASIC HTML QUESTION

How do I set it so the website doesn't change its layout according to the size of the browser. I want all the elements to stay put but I can't find the command.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I had to expel a jerk portion of my character a few months back, I am much happier now that he is gone.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Fug, doesn't change how? Vertically, horizontally? Aligned to the center, to the right? How are you setting it up, tables?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    As in, all the elements stay neatly in the center of the page, and if I grab the corner of the window and start shrinking and expanding it, it doesn't affect the text, or how the images are laid out.

So, in other words, like this

[Edit]For example, I want my page to stay oriented in the center, and be locked at 1024 pixels wide, regardless of the size of the window/monitor.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Since you asked specifically for HTML help, I'll assume you're using tables to create a layout, in which case the solution is easy, just write in the main table "width=XXpx".

Like:
    <table width="600px">
    <tr>
    <td></td>
    </tr>
    </table>

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    EdmanEdman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fug, you'll want to use the following CSS (assuming you have a main div with the id of "content")

#content {
    margin: 0 auto; /* this centers your content */
    width: 800px; /* this defines the width - you can make it whatever value you want */
    }

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Haha, MT, you beat me to it. Ah well.

Edman on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Haha, thank you, both of you. I should have mentioned I'm not using tables, which is why I was utterly lost.

Thanks again!

Fugitive on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Sooo the egg I broke into my ramen had two yolks.. is that good luck or something?

Iruka on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wouldn't that be a case of identical twins?
    Except the eggs we buy are unfertilized I thought...

lyrium on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    Sooo the egg I broke into my ramen had two yolks.. is that good luck or something?

It happens. I don't know if it's good luck, but it sure is a fun surprise.

edit: Also, I think I like the new Pokemans.

edit2: hahaha

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Forbe! wrote: »
    I mostly hate machines.

yet you shape their very flesh in your hot forge. Ironic.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    man I aced that physio test
    I haven't aced anything in a long time
    feels good man

Tam on
This discussion has been closed.