Options

New Comic Thread for Monday, August 23

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    it's hilarious how confused some people are by D&D Essentials, even after supposedly googling it
    I googled it and understood essentially what it is within a couple of minutes

stop sucking

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I haven't really kept up with the new stuff coming out in 4th ed so the essentials box sounds pretty cool to me.

Especially because doing some cursory research it looks like power level of players have far out stripped the monsters contained with in the Monster Manual 1 (apparently you need to go to Monster Manual 3 to get monsters that are viable only with minimal house ruling). So having a new monster manual and re-balanced classes in Essentials sounds great to me.

If it's basically like dropping a giant nuke on power creep this makes me happy. If essentials is tightly balanced I'd probably want to run an essentials only campaign.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ahaha, great comic. I welcome a new way for people to get into D&D, because then they can move on to pen & paper games that are actually fun like Call of Cthulhu and Dark Heresy. D&D has always been one of the most boring P&P games out there. At least it's better than Shadowrun though.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, for all my griping I like some of the stuff they're doing. But it's left me with a lot of books that are no longer useful to me. So I found someone who wants them. I'll sell them at a sizable discount. Use the money to buy some furniture for the wife, a copy of the Rules Compendium for me and run the rest off of DDI so I get all the changes/errata folded in without having to worry about books anymore. Suddenly Joe is a happy boy.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    20050207h.jpg

This is what I always imagine whenever someone talks about D&D to me.

"Yeah thats nice, I really don't care about your little imaginary friend, kthxggbye."

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    20050207h.jpg

This is what I always imagine whenever someone talks about D&D to me.

"Yeah thats nice, I really don't care about your little imaginary friend, kthxggbye."

and yet

you say "kthxggbye"

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My Pokemans, let me show them too you.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    Oaka23Oaka23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I came in here to see if anyone could figure out how the bell over the door in the last panel could possibly ring

Now I think I know how to play D&D

Oaka23 on
    Oaka you magnificent bastard I am in love with you in a way that offends gods and men.
    Comic edits! And for prospective editors, some common panels and extra crap you can use!
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Door can swing both ways.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Oaka23Oaka23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Then they better have a bell on both sides

Oaka23 on
    Oaka you magnificent bastard I am in love with you in a way that offends gods and men.
    Comic edits! And for prospective editors, some common panels and extra crap you can use!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oaka23 wrote: »
    I came in here to see if anyone could figure out how the bell over the door in the last panel could possibly ring

Now I think I know how to play D&D

Good. New players are always welcome.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This comic is dumbed down for consoles.

august on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jesus christ you D an' D nerds sure nerded up this thread real quick.

Anyway, this is truly a beautiful thing. Gabe was once but a learner and now is the master.

He's come a long way. It wasn't easy for Gabe to get into D&D,
    215497214_UUepW-L-2.jpg

there were setbacks, to be sure,
    368417040_d4beG-L-2.jpg

and Tycho's tuttelage can be rough,
    488172974_ycai7-L-2.jpg

but even he is not immune to the heart-warming sight of a student coming into his own.
    822499307_WRZkv-L.jpg

jwalk on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In my dreams Robert really has that tie

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    jwalk wrote: »
    Jesus christ you D an' D nerds sure nerded up this thread real quick.

Dude. We're required by law to nerd up threads like this.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know, it's science.

Also don't forget, the Cave of Tits.

jwalk on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Probably my favorite D&D comic would be this one:

494733791_vSJvi-L-2.jpg

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That one confused me. Inside DnD joke I guess.

Or maybe it just isn't that funny.

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It is funny because the Shadowfell is a dumb name (it's a real thing in D&D) and they are making up names that are just as dumb, if not dumber.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What happened was

460310636_SaUEb-L-2.jpg

they made up the Shadowdark as a stupid sounding fantasy thing, only to discover it was a real thing

so, not to be 1-upped, they made a comic where they're basically just naming even stupider fantasy realms.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    It is funny because the Shadowfell is a dumb name (it's a real thing in D&D) and they are making up names that are just as dumb, if not dumber.

Oh. Whoops I just lost geek cred.

E: Yeah I got that one. That's pretty much universally dumb.

"He was going to make sure they rued this day. And rued it hard."

Good ol' Grimm Shado

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think Double Hell is my favorite.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I remember them mentioning the "Fire Hell" in one of the podcasts and that made me get a new keyboard after I nose-blasted my drink.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    C'mon now, naming shit isn't that easy and anyone who DM'ed and had to come up with a name knows this.

A "Shadowdark Realm" is perfectly fine if it fits the setting you're using (In this case High Fantasy I guess).

You Americans at least have the advantage of looking up nordic/germanic words and using those instead. Nobody will know.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This comic is all about me.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The weird thing about Shadowdark is that it sounds decent in context. You read the book and you go "That sounds pretty reasonable."

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The weird thing about Shadowdark is that it sounds decent in context. You read the book and you go "That sounds pretty reasonable."

It honestly isn't that bad in context.

You have the normal world, and in this normal world there's a subterranean realm called the "Underdark"

Meanwhile you have a shadowy reflection of the normal world called the "Shadowfell," and being the dark mirror wold that it is, it also has a shadowy reflection of the Underdark, which is named logically enough the "Shadowdark."

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    and then Shadow-Shadow-bo-Badow, and then Double Hell, and finally Scarytown

it's elementary!

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

It honestly isn't that bad in context.

You have the normal world, and in this normal world there's a subterranean realm called the "Underdark"

Meanwhile you have a shadowy reflection of the normal world called the "Shadowfell," and being the dark mirror wold that it is, it also has a shadowy reflection of the Underdark, which is named logically enough the "Shadowdark."

I didn't know that the Underdark in the Shadowfell was called the Shadowdark. Huh, neato. I really need to re-read my books and brush up on the rules, I want to play D&D and I think the only way it will ever happen is if I DM and gather some friends myself.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Grimm Shado was molded from the original Mold of Man, in the fires of the Universe Forge. But then one day the Universe left him alone with both it, and the original Mold of Buxom Damsels, and the shit was scuffed up and didn't work right when it got back. The Universe was all "What the hell? Not cool, bro" and never fixed it. That's why everyone else has limits, and Shado has sweet-ass dual-wands.

Pretty sure my cat just put a dead frog in my shoe.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Didn't it take a long time between D&D revisions? I've never played but it seems like something you shouldn't do to take a franchise that's not often updated and update it a lot in a short period of time.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    I remember them mentioning the "Fire Hell" in one of the podcasts and that made me get a new keyboard after I nose-blasted my drink.

That is a thing from Devil May Cry 4. You fight the demon boss Berial The Conqueror. He conquered the Fire Hell.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Didn't it take a long time between D&D revisions? I've never played but it seems like something you shouldn't do to take a franchise that's not often updated and update it a lot in a short period of time.

Seems like theres a new book, new classes, new races, etc and associated feats and powers every couple of months. 4E feels like a living thing. Prior to 4E I haven't played since pre-internet; so my perception of update frequency may be skewed.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I never want to play d&d if this thread is any indication

:c
    it can be fun

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It really depends on the sorts of people you play with.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's not like they're always changing existing things, they just add new things.

If they do change something and you hate it; your DM is welcome to ignore it. It's as relaxed and flexible as your group wants it to be. All that shit people are arguing about is completely irrelevant if your group doesn't want to fuck with it.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I never want to play d&d if this thread is any indication

Trust me, play Call of Cthulhu instead. The rules are simple and very bendable. The whole point of the game is to tell a good and interesting story while maintaining some threat of the players dying or going insane.

D&D is just a bunch of dungeon crawling bullshit with people trying to break the system in ways to make their characters uber strong and shit. Obviously this isn't every D&D group, but it happens way too often for me to even bother with it anymore.

I play games to have fun, not to discuss rules.

Fandeathis on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You can do all of that with Call of Cthulhu though. The sad state of things is likely the best way to play a tabletop is to get your current friends interested in trying it, rather than attempting to get new friends who are playing it. That can work sometimes, but it's always better to play a pen and paper with folks you already know.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Are wolfoids related to dickwolves?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You can do all of that with Call of Cthulhu though. The sad state of things is likely the best way to play a tabletop is to get your current friends interested in trying it, rather than attempting to get new friends who are playing it. That can work sometimes, but it's always better to play a pen and paper with folks you already know.

I do agree with you 100% on that one. For some reason though D&D brings out the worst in my friends, while CoC everyone is just having an amazing time. For some reason they want to treat D&D like WoW and CoC like an interactive novel that is super interesting. I'm not entirely sure why.

Fandeathis on
This discussion has been closed.