As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications)

Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insultedwhen I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
*deleted*

In case you are interested, I'm studying architecture now. :)

Alfred J. Kwak on

• Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What country are you in?

1ddqd on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Currently in the Netherlands, moving back to Vienna/Austria in September. I'm aware that the study might be vastly different from country to country, heck even from university to university. :)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know who has a BA in communications?
    Sarah Palin

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Do you hate me or something. D:

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Not at all, dude. :)

I was just letting you know that stateside "communications" is the major that would be Business and Journalism majors flock to when they find shit is "too hard". I have no clue what it is like in the Netherlands.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Not at all, dude. :)

I was just letting you know that stateside "communications" is the major that would be Business and Journalism majors flock to when they find shit is "too hard". I have no clue what it is like in the Netherlands.

And athletes

And sorority girls

And even the most unpopular dumb kids eventually find out that there's a major that takes absolutely no work and requires no thinking.

Yeah, it has a real bad reputation state-side. Make sure whoever you get your opinions from in this thread doesn't live here.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, so far this thread has been .. worryingly. I better go searching again.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Think about the job you want after you're done school, and find out what degree will best land you that job. I know too many people that get their degrees then go, "Now what?"

If the job you want requires a BA in Communications, then go for it.

Lail on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There are two reasons to go to college. One, is to get the knowledge and degree necessary to get a job. The other, is to better one's self.

Personally, I feel that you shouldn't go to a college that costs a significant amount of money unless you have a clear goal in what you plan to get out of it. If it's not a job you're looking for, then go for it. If there's a specific field you want to get into, then research it.

A degree in media and communications won't get you a great job on it's own. That's not to say your life will be a failure or any such nonsense. There are plenty of ways to get a great job, but just don't expect your degree to be of any great assistance.

NotYou on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It really depends on the type of classes you take to get the degree. What type of work would you might like to do someday?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ScorchedScorched Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Comparing the reputation of degrees between continents is very difficult, because the way university courses are set up varies so wildly. There's enough of a difference when you compare the UK to the Netherlands, as I've found. (Dutchie studying in the UK.)

You're adding an extra layer of complexity to it by moving to a country which, well, most of us don't know much about.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to see whether the reputation of the degree in the Netherlands matches up with it's bad reputation in the US? If the same opinion holds, that should give you some strong indicators about the utility of the course worldwide. Theoretically it's reputation should be better in the Netherlands, it's raking in a ton of money in the advertising sector these days - but if the opinion is just as bad, it's a strong indication of the degrees utility. Just a thought.

NotYou wrote: »
    Personally, I feel that you shouldn't go to a college that costs a significant amount of money unless you have a clear goal in what you plan to get out of it..

He's going to study in the EU. He's not going to be out a big amount of money in any case, and even if Austria doesn't give him a bursary, the Dutch government will fund a good amount of money for him. :)

Scorched on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Scorched wrote: »
    NotYou wrote: »
    Personally, I feel that you shouldn't go to a college that costs a significant amount of money unless you have a clear goal in what you plan to get out of it..

He's going to study in the EU. He's not going to be out a big amount of money in any case, and even if Austria doesn't give him a bursary, the Dutch government will fund a good amount of money for him. :)

To clarify, studying in Austria is actually free of cost (again). :P

And I'm from Austria. I've come to the Netherlands this summer to learn for a language exam (which I failed) and to study games technology here (which might not have been the best study for me in the first place). In any case, I think what I'm really looking for are film classes, but there're probably entry requirements for that (have to check). At the moment I'm basically going through the list of all available courses and try to find something for me, and I was just curious about this one. Going to Germany is still also an option, so there's a lot to pick from.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, what do you like?

If you're just taking a communications course because you don't know what you want, you'll end up as a store clerk. People who who have a passion for any communications field will always shine the brightest, jobs will go to them.

Don't choose communications because you don't know what you want. It's a poor decision.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have a BS in communications, and I'm a graphic designer. Study what you want in college and figure out what is going to be applicable to your job field. All of the jobs I've applied for just care that you have a degree and experience. The actual field it's in isn't important as long as you can do the job.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, I know for sure that I don't want to start a technical study. The problem with the aforementioned games technology course for example was that it's very programming-orientated and math-heavy, which, contrary to what my school grades say, I'm actually not very good at. Well, unfortunately, I'm not very good at a lot of things, which kinda restricts my options. I have a casual interest in art, design, movies and story writing, although no real expertise in any of those. Can you see my dilemma?
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Study what you want in college and figure out what is going to be applicable to your job field.

This, basically, is exactly what I want to do.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, unfortunately, I'm not very good at a lot of things, which kinda restricts my options. I have a casual interest in art, design, movies and story writing, although no real expertise in any of those. Can you see my dilemma?

wtf. This is the weirdest attitude I've ever seen. You're about to go to college, and you refuse to attempt anything that you have no expertise in. Are you attempting to complete schooling while avoiding all new information somehow?

I have zero expertise in wood working, but if I wanted to be a carpenter, I'd take shop class and gain that expertise.

So, no I can't really see your dilemma. You have the chance right now to learn pretty much any craft you want, but you're going to choose a major that you have no interest in because the others involve learning new things?

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Heck no I'd love to do something in that area, I just need to find out what courses are available that interest me. Forget about that silly last sentence in my previous post.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Are you more interested in media (Film, Photography, etc) or are you more interested in communications (Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, etc)?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As a German I would like to point out that Theater- Film- und Fernsehwissenschaften is not the same as Communication studies.

The former has a strong focus on the history of theatre, film and tv and will also deal with some of the technical aspects probably have general courses on the theory of scriptwriting, etc.
    I know that there is a school for that in Cologne that was supposed to be pretty good where you could even specialize if you wanted to be a director or producer or scriptwriter eventually, but that was private and so did cost money.

But this is not like communication studies, which would be Kommunikationswissenschaften, which is a separate subject.

Librarian on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for clearing that up, I already was afraid I made a mistake there. I believe a thread title change is in order

@KrunkMCGrunk

definitely the former

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    motion graphics perhaps?
    http://motionographer.com/

if you haven't seen this website before I think you are going to thoroughly enjoy it.

my German isn't good enough to decipher the fine points of curriculum, but Wuppertal has a Mediendesign program that might be along the lines you are looking for.

http://www.uni-wuppertal.de/fachbereiche/fachbereich_f/

the best advice I can give is to work backwards. do not blindly aim for a degree and then hope to make a job work with that degree. sure, you can get a job in graphic design with a masters in russian language and literature, but you'll have a much easier time of it with a bachelor's of graphic design.

Look first for the companies you want to work for. Say, Motion Theory. (http://www.motiontheory.com/). Call them up. Ask them who they are and what kind of education they have- what kind of degree they recommend for doing what they do, and what kind of people they look for to work with them. What kind of experience outside of a degree program do they have?

They may or may not be your end goal, but now you know what it takes to do what they do. The hardest part might be finding the companies / firms that do what you're looking for- often the best are low profile.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178