Options

[STEAM] Thread derailed by train puns

1356762

Posts

  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    I don't know if this was linked in the old thread, but I found a nice article on how the summer sale saved introversion.

    It feels good to see my $10 go to some good dudes. Uplink alone has claimed much of my time over the years.

    Good article until it gets to the end

    "But for everyone else...Valve may be in most people's good books, but it's still a little frightening to think that a single company can play Kingmaker with the fortunes of developers across an entire platform, so dependant have so many PC publishers become on Steam for legitimate sales."

    That's not quite true, they just came to agreement with Valve that allowed them to promote their game, same you would do with any other brick & mortar or online store.

    They are talking as though Valve can decide one day that they will not stock a developers game and then no-one will ever buy it.

    A lot of the time I use Steam like a games guide, its easier to find out about games that are out there, then I'll go into penny-pincher mode and check every online shop and compare prices.
    See, that's what you get for reading the editorial parts of a kotaku article, rather than just the stuff they copy/pasted from the other site/press release.

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can we agree not to link to kotaku ever again and just straight link to the source?

    They can't even get the copy paste part right at times.

    Alegis on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    I'm getting mildly excited by Brink.

    Echo on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So once October rolls around and the latest TF2 patch and Left 4 Dead DLC is out, Valve's current workload will have been lightened significantly from the beginning of the year. Aside from as yet unannounced stuff, they'll just be working on Portal 2, DOTA and Episode 3.

    Can we pretty please get some new about Episode 3 then?

    Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So once October rolls around and the latest TF2 patch and Left 4 Dead DLC is out, Valve's current workload will have been lightened significantly from the beginning of the year. Aside from as yet unannounced stuff, they'll just be working on Portal 2, DOTA and Episode 3.

    Can we pretty please get some new about Episode 3 then?

    The non-stop Gabe Newell fat jokes on reddit have pushed Episode 3 back to about 2023.

    Theres some news for ya.

    Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm getting mildly excited by Brink.

    +1. I'm a leeeeeeetle worried that the basic gameplay isn't going to be anything special compared to, say, Bad Company 2 or TF2 or whatever your favorite team shooter is, but I'm a sucker for fun movement stuff and if their SMART thing works perfectly then I can imagine some pretty fun stuff.

    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm getting mildly excited by Brink.

    Any decent gameplay footage?

    I watched an early trailer and was just kind of "meh" on it, but everyone seems to be really excited about it lately.

    subedii on
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm getting mildly excited by Brink.

    Any decent gameplay footage?

    I watched an early trailer and was just kind of "meh" on it, but everyone seems to be really excited about it lately.

    Here is the latest one plus they have some more stuff up on the site. My one gripe so far is that players seem to be bullet sponges but it's kinda hard to tell in the footage that we've seen.

    http://www.brinkthegame.com/media/videos/?id=77

    kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm getting mildly excited by Brink.

    +1. I'm a leeeeeeetle worried that the basic gameplay isn't going to be anything special compared to, say, Bad Company 2 or TF2 or whatever your favorite team shooter is, but I'm a sucker for fun movement stuff and if their SMART thing works perfectly then I can imagine some pretty fun stuff.

    I'm excited because it seems like every other team FPS has degraded to just capping points and capturing flags

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm interested in it because it looks like Mirror's Edge married to a traditional shooter. Run around doing crazy jumps and shit and then shoot dudes in the FACE during a wallrun-backflip-grind-slide 4,000pt x 4 combo or whatever. Sounds fun to me.

    Zxerol on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For some reason I can't connect to the steam community servers, and for some reason my purchase of Plain Sight isn't showing up on my library.

    Anyone else having the same problems?

    Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm getting mildly excited by Brink.

    +1. I'm a leeeeeeetle worried that the basic gameplay isn't going to be anything special compared to, say, Bad Company 2 or TF2 or whatever your favorite team shooter is, but I'm a sucker for fun movement stuff and if their SMART thing works perfectly then I can imagine some pretty fun stuff.

    I'm excited because it seems like every other team FPS has degraded to just capping points and capturing flags
    If you add in defusing bombs, that's pretty much what the non-DM team FPS has always been. And even then, those modes are basically just TDM in which there are some other things that nobody bothers to do because they're too busy DMing.

    Monger on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm getting mildly excited by Brink.

    +1. I'm a leeeeeeetle worried that the basic gameplay isn't going to be anything special compared to, say, Bad Company 2 or TF2 or whatever your favorite team shooter is, but I'm a sucker for fun movement stuff and if their SMART thing works perfectly then I can imagine some pretty fun stuff.

    I'm excited because it seems like every other team FPS has degraded to just capping points and capturing flags
    If you add in defusing bombs, that's pretty much what the non-DM team FPS has always been. And even then, those modes are basically just TDM in which there are some other things that nobody bothers to do because they're too busy DMing.

    I meant, like, one at a time. As opposed to some of the maps in W:ET where you had like 3 objectives at the same time, and fighting over a forward spawn

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    plain sight registration servers still melted.....

    DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I come back today (from a seriously hc exam) to find my account has been disabled. Probably some sh1t with paypal even though i contacted steam support FUCKING PIECE OF DOGSHITMONKEYBALLS to explain the situation (that their servers lagged out so even though steam/paypal and my bank charged me, it still says failed). I leave the case open after they said dont worry bro its cool (after about 8 messages) and i go ahead and buy 3 or 4 more games (yes one is plain sight :P) but worms reloaded...the bastards. Come back to enjoy some worms 24hr early since i preordered and the damn account is disabled?

    I didn't escalate the paypal claim till today but yesterday i changed my password after fearing some tf2backpack site which seemed legit but i entered my details into it..

    any ideas how long stuff like this takes to get resolved? I have no idea why they disabled! I never even escalated the paypal problem as they told me it will eventually return to me (bs) but i thought id wait the 3-10 days.

    ARRRRRGGGHHHH VENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTT

    ediT: steam sorted it after a couple of hours :D

    Mangaroo on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mangaroo wrote: »
    So I come back today (from a seriously hc exam) to find my account has been disabled. Probably some sh1t with paypal even though i contacted steam support FUCKING PIECE OF DOGSHITMONKEYBALLS to explain the situation (that their servers lagged out so even though steam/paypal and my bank charged me, it still says failed). I leave the case open after they said dont worry bro its cool (after about 8 messages) and i go ahead and buy 3 or 4 more games (yes one is plain sight :P) but worms reloaded...the bastards. Come back to enjoy some worms 24hr early since i preordered and the damn account is disabled?

    I didn't escalate the paypal claim till today but yesterday i changed my password after fearing some tf2backpack site which seemed legit but i entered my details into it..

    any ideas how long stuff like this takes to get resolved? I have no idea why they disabled! I never even escalated the paypal problem as they told me it will eventually return to me (bs) but i thought id wait the 3-10 days.

    ARRRRRGGGHHHH VENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTT

    The rapid purchase of 3-4 games might have had something to do with it?

    Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wasn't really rapid, all with the same paypal account - stalker pack on the weekend, plain sight yesterday and i paid someone from here to gift me worms.. :/

    The borderlands issue was from before..i dunno just seems like too many possibilities but all of which are total bullshit reasons to disable a hard-earned and paid for account - fuming with steam support, you hear stories..but :/

    my advice: only buy games on sale on off-peak times..

    Mangaroo on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Note: Anything that "seems" legit, isn't. Unless the url (and all content) is on a trusted, well-known domain, of course.

    AnakinOU on
  • Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    this was the site... http://www.tf2items.com/ i was just browsing randomly (procrastination) thought it wanted steamid and for some retarded reason i kept putting it in with password to find it wasnt working.. I thought it was steam-made i guess since i was linked to it from the steam forums and seems to know whats inside ur backpack...anyway i change my password straight away .. tbh i dont know why its disabled, they could at least give a reason so i have a clue as to what to talk about on support...now im just stuck (and im still in post-exam adrenaline mode...) sucks :( If i ever have the choice to NOT buy from steam, im just going to go for it, because at least then if shit hits the fan i can actually play some games that i paid for. F.U.C.K. Steam (f.u.c.k. = ROAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!!!!). it is probably just some stupid misunderstanding but the fact that they have shitty slow support that i have to wait ages to get things sorted (play my games) is the jarator of it all

    not only that, when u do eventually get a message from steam support they usually havent even bothered to properly read it (unlike these fuming messages, they were very comprehensible) and they completely miss the point so for me at least i have to wait the next day...and the next and the next till eventually they bother to read it and do nothing and then they close the question.. how is it still this bad - ppl have been talking about steam support since 05..

    Mangaroo on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What happens if someone tries to input the wrong password into steam a number of times?

    Perhaps they took the password you entered in that dodgy site, and tried to log in 3 or 5 times or however many it is, and that locked it?

    Centipeed on
  • Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That is what i read somewhere else.....i mentioned it to the support site but i dont get why the disable an account if someone incorrectly guesses the password...whats it got to do with me?! sorry wont be joining u in 2 hours :( hope it lags to shit today :D sorry... :P

    Mangaroo on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    well i bought plain sight because it was $2, i mean, why not buy it at that point, kind of disappointed the auth server has melted but the people on their forums are getting very butt hurt about it, can you really be that upset from a $2 purchase?

    TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'm excited because it seems like every other team FPS has degraded to just capping points and capturing flags

    Borderlands taught me that I get immense pleasure from seeing damage numbers and "250 xp" pop out of enemies.

    Borderlands also taught me that even if you have 87 bazillion guns, not very many of them will be more than vendor trash. Give me 3-4 guns of each type and customization options, and I'll be happy. Which is what Brink looks like.

    I'm also really digging the art style.

    Echo on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you can't register a Plain Sight account, send a mail to support@beatnikgames.co.uk with your desired username and CD Key. They'll make one for you.

    Alegis on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I registered my account about 2 hours ago and had absolutely no issues with the server at all. I'm not all that surprised that it imploded under the pressure considering they're an indie dev and games tend to sell like gangbusting hotcakes during the $2 sales.

    Played it for a bit this morning and, aside from getting stuck in the geometry of the level somehow, it's fun. It's definitely going to take some getting used to the hectic camera and perspective changes. They were smart to include a lock on system as I think the game would be damn near unplayable without it.

    Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I got a phishing email. It looked like a legit Steam email asking me to verify my account information at their support site. It was in French though which was my first clue something was up.

    After visiting the Steam forums to see if this type of email had been flagged as a phishing attempt I clicked the link. Although the link said it would take me to support.steampowered.com it actually took me somewhere else. Pretty obvious attempt.

    Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Brink has quite possibly the worst character designs I've ever seen in a game.

    reVerse on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Brink has quite possibly the [strike]worst[/strike] most amusing character designs I've ever seen in a game.

    adytum on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Brink has quite possibly the worst character designs I've ever seen in a game.

    That's glowing endorsement for the game. :^:

    Echo on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Ubisoft just sent me a promo code for AC:Animus bundle, I bought 4 for $1 each but I figured one for free was worth it

    But it let me buy 4 copies for free

    LOVE YOU UBISOFT! (wow I never thought I'd say that)

    I got mine too. I wish I had bought RUSE too. I would have if I had known all sales were apparently final.

    I think I audibly squeeled with delight when I saw they're honoring my preorder of ghost recond FS

    override367 on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Brink has quite possibly the worst character designs I've ever seen in a game.

    That's glowing endorsement for the game. :^:

    Hey, don't get me wrong, it could be a decent shooter with all the parkour-ish free movement stuff (that's Brink, right? I'm not suddenly thinking of a different game, am I?), but damn those characters look terrible.

    reVerse on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Brink has quite possibly the worst character designs I've ever seen in a game.

    That's glowing endorsement for the game. :^:

    Hey, don't get me wrong, it could be a decent shooter with all the parkour-ish free movement stuff (that's Brink, right? I'm not suddenly thinking of a different game, am I?), but damn those characters look terrible.

    They're customizable so just do the opposite of what the devs have been doing.

    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Actually, they remind me a lot of SVER from MAG.

    adytum on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Brink has quite possibly the worst character designs I've ever seen in a game.

    That's glowing endorsement for the game. :^:

    Hey, don't get me wrong, it could be a decent shooter with all the parkour-ish free movement stuff (that's Brink, right? I'm not suddenly thinking of a different game, am I?), but damn those characters look terrible.
    I'M BRITISH LOOK AT MY GIGANTIC BRITISH CHIN AND DISTURBING LACK OF CHEEKS

    Monger on
  • Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I take back what i said about steam..they sorted it plus gave me complimentary borderlands! (which i sorta already paid for but still! finnaly get to try worms >:)

    Mangaroo on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I watched one of the video previews for Brink and it had the developers standing in front of white nothingness talking about how awesome the concepts used by the game are.

    The actual footage they showed was a bit sparse and boring.

    So there's a chance they've taken these AWESOME EXTREME CONCEPTS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN THIS SHIT BEFORE HAVE YOU and implemented them poorly.

    Unless, of course, Brink's developers have a history of good games.

    Centipeed on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Centipeed wrote: »
    The actual footage they showed was a bit sparse and boring.

    So there's a chance they've taken these AWESOME EXTREME CONCEPTS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN THIS SHIT BEFORE HAVE YOU and implemented them poorly.

    Here's some stuff.

    But yes, I want to see more than the container city and the airport.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmKZchM0AiE

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T--G56pv-3U

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UWtGCsd_SI

    Echo on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Centipeed wrote: »
    Unless, of course, Brink's developers have a history of good games.
    Splash Damage are the Enemy Territory guys.

    Monger on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Theres a few seconds of a map that isn't reactor/container city in some of the dev diaries, the SMART one in particular

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    I mean at that price I'm half-inclined to just spend the £4.80 and get the four-pack, and just give away the other copies.

    As a near-broke gamer the idea of someone giving me a zany looking bright and colorful robotman game would make me happy =D.

    Are you still interested? I also have a second spare copy of Plain Sight if anyone else has a suicidal robot deficiency.

    Edit: Spare Copy #2 claimed.

    AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
This discussion has been closed.