Options

[DnD 4e] Darkness and Torment (OOC)

• Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Too bad The Alliance is already taken.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Updated my sheet to fiddle with my items so I could get a Reparation Apparatus (<3 +2d6 healing to soxbox's Warforged) and pick up some summoning reagents and note my familiar statistics.

Edit: Also a heads up, moving back down to university come Wednesday so I will likely be out of commission until Sunday, though hopefully I can nab a computer in the meantime. After that everything gets back to normal.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Reparation Apparatus will also make The Astral Reticulum an army of unstoppable whatever the hell shardminds are.

Maybe it's easier to get a name if we figure out what the hell we're doing here.

It's pretty easy to weave the Ander's Army, the Clockwork crusaders and Captain Mareka together - Mareka being the sheriff originally sent down into the underdark to chase down the raiders that originally attacked Ander's circus, but Ander's didn't hear anything or trust him to be able to do anything, so they followed after. Mareka would've met the crusaders who repaired his found army into something serviceable. The oakhammer tribe is there with similar motives, so banding together when their paths crossed made sense. They're all bound together in a fight for civilization and justice.

(The Avengers?)

I don't know how the wizards and the shardminds fit into that, as their backgrounds don't give a good idea of their motives. The wizards following the shardminds about because they're fascinated by them makes sense to bind them to each other, but I don't know what their 'in' with the rest of the group is.

soxbox on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh man, I completely forgot Shardminds were constructs too. This is the best party composition ever.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    *checks his notes* Oh, turns out my barbarians are robots. It's all there on the character sheet. Very official.

Avengers is the right flavor but it might be too cheesy.

smeej on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If only Reparation Apparatus queued off of Arcane Rejuvenation.

But then, I don't think that half the party gaining 11 + 2d6 temporary hit points each time they used a daily magic item power would be entirely balanced.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    smeej wrote: »
    Avengers is the right flavor but it might be too cheesy.

Let my break out my thesaurus. The Vindicators? The Retaliaters?

Comeuppance Givers? Account Squarers? Compliment Returners? The Wagon Fixers? Just Desserts Manufacturing Service?

Work with me here people.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Violence Reciprocators!

smeej on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh. The Thesaurus goes latin - Revenge is Aeternum Servans Sub Pectore Vulnus (Literally, Nursing an everlasting wound within the breast).

Aeternum Servans sounds pretty good - I think that'd be something like Eternal Saviors? Or Eternally Saved?. Or Aeternum Vulnus would be something like Eternal Pain if you want to be all emo about it.

soxbox on
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As far as joining up with the other groups, the College would enthusiastically greet any fellow survivors, especially since most of them still think of themselves as academics instead of fighters. My original idea was that Asmodeus commanded Abraxas to wage war against Lloth to distract her from the campaign in the Abyss. At Aegof's discretion, Asmodeus might have a secret objective for Abraxas, and it would totally be appropriate for us not to know that. The College is bound to serve Abraxas, and as far as any of them know, he simply means to wage war against the Underdark. Abraxas is potentially a villainous character, but most of the College are simply interested in survival. As scholars, they'd be equally interested in the warforged and the shardminds, and would value the martial expertise of the other groups.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll try and think of other options, but I'm blanking right now. The only thing I can think of is "Seven Nation Army" with the idea that one of the army leaders is a bit unhinged and insists that there is a seventh group present.

I'm not a huge fan of the White Stripes, but that song gets stuck in my head every time I hear it. Anywho, I'm kind of out of it today and hopefully we'll come up with something more serviceable. I'm open to most anything if others start coming to a consensus.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNWCclOqUHw

The barbarians are unhinged!

smeej on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I kind of like Aeternum Servans, personally.

How important do we figure magic item crafting will be? Because I could pickup my Artificer's super-crafting feat and start making us level 17 items now, or level 18 items next level if we wait a bit. I have several feats I can play around with and nothing overly prioritizing right away.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The only real allies you'll have in the Underdark are each other and those you make. Most of the civilized places belong to Lolth, so trading with them will be difficult-to-impossible. Merchants from the echo-darks might do business with you, but you might not be able to find them when you want them.

That said, your Drow opponents will be well armed and well-equipped; you'll not be lacking in Stuff if you want theirs. Some of it may even be useful to you!

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Aeternum Servans works for me. The barbarians don't really care! I'm not even sure if they can easily communicate with the rest of the party. Their common was probably regional and fractured before they spent a year in the Underdark. They know Deep Speech rather intimately, however!

smeej on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Alright, I've updated the College's sheet, mostly switching about some skills and rituals to provide Raise Dead and Remove Affliction, which should prove in handy but hopefully won't need to :)

Feel free to give me any suggestions! Also, nice Jan Jansen reference.

Also also, I'm down with Aeternum Servans. Institutions of higher learning love obscure Latin phrases!

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So my plan was to get the IC thread started tomorrow. I can put it off further if anyone needs more time to get sheets and roleplay details in order.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm feeling dandy, but I don't presume to speak for all of us.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm good to go!

smeej on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Still jiggery-pokering on my sheet a little - just tossing up on a couple of feats, but I'm ready to get rolling on this thing.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'll take any feedback, but I think my sheet is good enough. I could switch my PP to Dreadnought or Kensei if we think combat might be harsh.

Still playing around with POV characters.

smeej on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Your sheet looks pretty good - pretty much exactly how I'd make a rageblood, though I'm confused on your ability scores - did you pump wisdom for a future feat? If you had a 14 dex instead, you'd save on that hide expertise feat. Is it just for your will defense? If so, 14 dex and iron will would have you with +2 reflex and +2 initiative on what you currently have.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I just pumped WIS for the Will. I'm not really feat-starved so Hide Armor Expertise wasn't difficult to grab (Deadly Rage is even less useful). The initiative loss doesn't really bother me, since I'll generally yield to the controller or defender to shape the fight before I run in.

I could dump WIS, boost DEX and replace Hide Armor Expertise with Improved Initiative to get the horde out there disrupting the enemy. It's a hardy enough build, really.

smeej on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    RP wise the reticulum has a prime directive to hunt down aberrants and those corrupted by them, they hold Lolth and her touched and Torog and his ilk responsible for letting them collect in the underdark.

It's true background is fluid at this point, could be a godshard who is just fed up with the far realms hold in the underdark. Could be Divine empowerment of a piece of the living gate. Or could be a construct based on the living gate but not actually a part of it, copied as the best anti-aberrant construct around.

Mechanics wise:
    I tried adjusting things around to get reparation apparatus but I didn't see how to do it easily. I have one feat that I am still not sure what to do with. I took precise fangs, but could swap it out for anything really, toughness, the SC defense bonus, Shardmind psychic damage.

I looked around the underdark book and tried to guess what I would need. It seems the scarier things attack will with psychic damage. I haven't played in paragon yet so this will be a learning experience for me.

I probably will tweak my sheet some more tonight. I am ready to start tomorrow. Aeternum Servans is cool with me. If anybody has any build advice I am all ears.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I re-chose some equipment to be able to afford the reparation apparatus. I think it works out better because I got some other gadgets too. I also swapped spirit fangs for strengthening spirit to trigger the reparation apparatus more.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm fine with Aeternum Servans since that's what most people seem to be leaning towards. And I should be good to go whenever at this point, I'll iron out any RP details I don't have planned out as things get rolling.

If anyone feels I'm missing out on something big on my sheet, please let me know, but I think I've got him pretty solidly laid out.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Alkey42 wrote: »
    I probably will tweak my sheet some more tonight. I am ready to start tomorrow. Aeternum Servans is cool with me. If anybody has any build advice I am all ears.

You seem to be missing the free Paragon defenses feat (Paragon Defenses, Iron Will, Great Fortitude, or Lightning Reflexes). Personally I'm iffy on taking two feats to get both chainmail and light shield proficiency considering the feat support that shamans have, but I'm not finding alternative means of addressing a lower AC if you were to dump those, plus you wouldn't get tactician's armor.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh yeah nice catch, thanks.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Figure it doesn't hurt to ask even though I'm pretty sure I know the answer...

Do constructs count as 'objects'?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Uh. I have no idea, honestly. What's the context of the question?

Incidentally, your forces' scouting abilities are determined by your Perception and Insight skills. If you ever want more detail than I've given, you can roll one of those.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, given that we can cast rituals in combat, I thought that:
    The target object, which you must touch during the performance of the ritual, increases its hit points by 10% for every 5 points you have on your check result. An object targeted by this ritual multiple times benefits only from the best casting.

Might be hilarious if cast on the Warforged or Shardmind. Granted, only working a very liberal definition of 'object'.

Alternatively, would my summons count as objects for the same purpose? They used to have the Artifice keyword on their summoning powers that was removed when the PHB3 Summoning rules came in which used to state:
    An artifice is an object that consists of inanimate materials that are infused with and animated by magic

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wow. That would be nasty. I'm gonna say no to both of those.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thought so! Thanks for clarifying.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Shifted some things around.... Basically just retrained a heroic feat into Danger Sense and moved some stats around.

smeej on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, you guys have until you roll initiative to change stuff around.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Aegof wrote: »
    Incidentally, your forces' scouting abilities are determined by your Perception and Insight skills. If you ever want more detail than I've given, you can roll one of those.

I think I understand Perception, but what does insight give you? Wich way you think they will move?

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's like an inefficient knowledge check. You make a guess at what kind of enemy you're dealing with based on what you've seen of them through Perception and past experience. A knowledge check could get you more, but all of that information will be highly specialized, based on the skill and which force is making it.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Insight would presumably also give us information over what it seems like their goal is (judging by direction, speed, army composition, etc.), whether to attack us headon in a hurried attack, or as a diversionary force to delay us to hit something else.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes, all of that is possible also.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.