Options

[DnD 4e] Darkness and Torment (OOC)

• Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hrmm.... you gents think I should ditch Improved Initiative for Arcane Ritualist (Remove Affliction)? Remove Affliction could potentially be useful as a standard in combat by removing debilitating conditions, but it takes a big chunk out of the target's HP unless you make a significant Heal check. Arcane Ritualist would let me switch that check to Arcana, effectively a +9 bonus to skill checks there. Thoughts?

Saurfang on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That could be handy. There are lots of ongoing conditions in the underdark that are scary, mindflayers, wrakspaw have a bunch of ongoing damage things and I think holds too. Then you have domination. I think another option would be better than a +4 init roll. Making a save at the right time is the kind of thing that can swing a battle.

If the caps thing annoys anybody I will stop, trying it out for effect.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just to mention again, I'll be gone tomorrow until Sunday to move back into my apartment for uni. If it's possible for someone to take my turns until then (hopefully not missing much) I'll be <3

Aside from familiar mechanics, the only non-obvious party benefit of my class to keep in mind is that anytime a party member uses a Daily Magic Item power they will gain 11 temporary hit points.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm sure we'll do our best! If nothing else, I will attempt to take your takes if necessary.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Now do I play the pragmatist and hold my turn or charge them and break their lin- CHARGE!

What campaign name are we rolling under?

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Darkness and Torment, Darkness & Torment, DnT, whatever. I don't care much so long as you link the roll.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hope you guys don't mind the walls of text that my posts will occasionally be. Also, good god, I have trouble writing in the present tense. Anyone else have that problem?

Saurfang on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Everything's all setup and working, but aside from this brief interruption I'll still be away until likely Sunday as we have a mini-vacation! Thanks for rolling initiative and stuff and thankfully I rolled terribly.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Not really important, but any idea how big squares are and how long turns are?

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Squares are big enough to fit, at the most, an force of roughly 1000. Each round represents about a day's worth of fighting.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Should have asked this as soon as I saw the map, but is there a reason there aren't spaces behind the current enemies? I would be opting to move behind enemy B currently, but didn't want to just assume that I'd actually be able to do that.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Saurfang wrote: »
    Hope you guys don't mind the walls of text that my posts will occasionally be. Also, good god, I have trouble writing in the present tense. Anyone else have that problem?

I actually am loving the walls of text, and am feeling like I need to step up my game to keep up.
    Squares are big enough to fit, at the most, an force of roughly 1000. Each round represents about a day's worth of fighting.

A whole day? This seems a little extreme. Wouldn't that put the average battle at 5-7 days of straight fighting? I mean, it's your campaign, I will suspend whatever disbelief is required of me, but 1000 soldiers fighting 1000 soldiers aren't going to go at it for 24hrs and suffer minor casualties.

P.S. I was thinking we should choose a main leader for the party. So that if there is a branch and we need to decide if we go right or left, everybody doesn't have to discuss it back and forth. Everybody can post what they think, but one person says after a day or two, we go left and that's that. I still want things to be cooperative but sometimes the players are noncommittal and things drag on for more than they really need to.

I nominate Aegis

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm down with that.

Also, I assume that "a day of fighting" is fairly flexible, as is the definition of a "battle" itself. Some last a single day, other conflicts termed "battles" can last a week or more.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm good with following Aegis.

Also, I like turns being a day. It'll be fun to see how we all interpret this.

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    abotkin wrote: »
    Should have asked this as soon as I saw the map, but is there a reason there aren't spaces behind the current enemies? I would be opting to move behind enemy B currently, but didn't want to just assume that I'd actually be able to do that.

That's just where I chose to cut the map off. The cavern continues off in that direction for a while. I'd prefer you not move onto the labels, however.
    Alkey42 wrote: »

A whole day? This seems a little extreme. Wouldn't that put the average battle at 5-7 days of straight fighting? I mean, it's your campaign, I will suspend whatever disbelief is required of me, but 1000 soldiers fighting 1000 soldiers aren't going to go at it for 24hrs and suffer minor casualties.

There's an optional rule I was considering, where any attack did the target's damage to the attacker, that I was considering, but discarded it as too strange and went for a fairly simple reskinned game.

But yeah, these numbers are pulled very much out of thin air. 1000 is "smaller than the armies initially sent underground, but still too large." A day is "enough time for up to a dozen forces to strategize, move, and attack." It doesn't mean each force is fighting for the full 24 hours. If you want to flavor it that way, it's cool with me, but that's not necessarily what needs to be happening. Maybe you attack, do some damage, then pull back a bit before the enemy can respond.

The numbers are flexible, not rigid rules your every post must reflect accurately. A month-long siege isn't going to take thirty rounds, seven rounds doesn't need to mean a week.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm going to steal abotkin's formatting for his status, or something very much like it, because it is miles prettier than what I had going on.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Saurfang wrote: »
    I'm going to steal abotkin's formatting for his status, or something very much like it, because it is miles prettier than what I had going on.

To be fair, I stole it from smeej with only a tiny alteration (removal of the milestone tracking). I think that format looks quite nice along with being rather compact.

Aegof, can we get some general idea of how frequently we'd be able to take extended rests? I'm not sure if/how the changed scale of time would affect this.

Also, I just realized I missed purchasing a magic item that would have made sense for me to pick up. I know you'd said no changes past rolling for initiative, so I'm completely okay with you saying no, but would you mind if I purchased one more item at this point? For reference, it would be the gloves from the Blade Dancer's Regalia set, which would further boost my AC vs. OAs.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Am back! So will be posting regularly once more.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't remember where the enemies were!

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No more changes to the sheets for now.

Extended rests: I expect them every 3-6 combat encounters. You're gonna have to earn 'em though.

Good to see you're back, Aegis. You may have been elected president while you were away.
    smeej wrote: »
    I don't remember where the enemies were!

Check the less-recent maps.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ah, they were showing up as the more recent one for a bit there.

smeej on
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [strike]If either of you are worried about not having anything to do with invisible enemies - my intention is to 'come and get it' which pulls as an effect to get them out into the open again if you want to delay. Note that they get to have a go between now and then though, so that plan may not survive.[/strike]
    Target: Each enemy in burst you can see

Dammit.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    My DDI subscription is out so lemme ask some quick questions:

Do enemies get their total concealment bonus (-5?) against Area Burst attacks?

And can you make OAs against targets with total concealment?

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Compendium wrote:
    You can’t make an opportunity attack unless you are able to make a melee basic attack and you can see your enemy.
    Compendium wrote:
    Melee Attacks and Ranged Attacks Only: Attack penalties from concealment apply only to the targets of melee or ranged attacks.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Total Concealment is -5, yes. This only applies to ranged and melee attacks.

You cannot make an OA against an enemy you can't see.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If either of you have any forced movement powers to get them out of that darkness, that would be useful in the extreme.

Also, were either of those attacks on Ander's army melee attacks? They've got a melee interrupt power up their sleeve.

Could you update one of the OPs with links to our sheets?

Ander's Army
    The Astral Rectilum
    The Clockwork Crusaders
    Oakhammer Tribe
    The College Clandestine
    Captain Mareka and the Warforged League

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think I'm going to force some movement down their throats with an area burst.

You can expect these kinds of witticisms in character.

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    soxbox wrote: »
    Also, were either of those attacks on Ander's army melee attacks? They've got a melee interrupt power up their sleeve.

Could you update one of the OPs with links to our sheets?

Yes, both were. [strike]And I'll do that now.[/strike] They're in the OP of both threads, now.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I rolled damage for all three attacks of my burst. Just use the damage for the first?

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Aegof wrote: »
    Good to see you're back, Aegis. You may have been elected president while you were away.

I...see that! o_O

Also, not that...I wish my party any harm, but since you rolled a crit for the first attack, shouldn't you have done max damage? 2d8+9 should give 25, not 18.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Just use the first, smeej.

I should have, Aegis. I'll fix that.

Edit: I apparently did something weird with the math and it turns out Anders ends up with more health with the critical damage than I gave him without it.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So Aegis pointing out the crit was a net positive?

All hail President Aegis! First act in office is awesome! Read all about it!

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    My next act will be to raise taxes so that everyone pays less money to the government!

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    All no am hail Bizarro President Aegis! We no am excited about agenda!

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I challenge Saurfang to see who can create the longest novelization of their turn!

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh ho ho ho!

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ugh, wished I'd checked the page once more before getting off the comp last night, must have refreshed it the last time right before Aegof's post. How should we be handling Interrupt powers? Just using them after the fact? Because I have 2 different powers that trigger off of me getting hit and I'd like to use Second Chance on that first hit to change it to an auto-miss (as the Nimble Dodge feat adds another -5 onto the re-roll it forces and prevents it from being a Critical Hit).

Also, did Force Retreat actually Push me as you have it phrased? Because forcing me to B3 would have been a Slide and I purposely positioned myself where only a Slide could move me.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    While it's obviously faster if you declare that you're going to use interrupts in advance, we can use them after the fact. That's what I'll be doing to you, probably.

And yes that was a Push--B3 is further away from A1 than B2 is, which is all Pushing requires.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, pushing is very very strange and awesome that way.

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So provided something weird doesn't happen (or enemies move too much) between now and my upcoming turn, I was thinking I'd move up, toss a heal on Anders and drop a zone inside the cloud because zones of darkness are :( to ranged attacks.

Aegis on
    Characters