Options

[DnD 4e] Darkness and Torment (OOC)

• Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    haha readying an action takes a standard. Whooops.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Everyone keep in mind (not shown on map) there's a 5x5 zone of difficult terrain emanating from B3 as part of my clockwork zone until the end of my turn, if that requires new positioning. On the plus side, the drow aren't going to go anywhere with difficult terrain and a chance of being slowed when they start their turn, so...blast/pummel em?
    Yep. I'm glad to keep them all near me since it validates my rage (str modifier damage to enemies adjacent to me).

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Next chance, I'm going to look to retrain out of all these damn powers that say 'that you can see' on them. Not going to come up soon, but:
    Any enemy that starts its turn adjacent to you takes 1[W] damage, as long as you are able to make opportunity attacks.

Would that work against an enemy in total concealment? I can still make opportunity attacks, I just can't make opportunity attacks against that enemy, but that's not what the power requires.

soxbox on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Given that it queues off of yourself, I'd be saying that it doesn't matter if you can't see them, just as long as you can make OAs.

The power is essentially a whirling circle of blades around you: doesn't matter if they're invisible, they're still going to get hit.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Clockwork Soldiers at Elf Force B, 1d20+14=30, Hit! vs Reflex, Elf Force B takes 1d8+8=12 damage and is Slowed until the end of its next turn.

I like this power.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, that's sweet that it's keyed to go off at the start of an enemy's turn, rather than when they end their turn in the zone.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well that plus the fact that it slows them in a zone of difficult terrain. Which causes them to not be able to shift and move at most 1 square (normally).

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That is certainly pretty sweet as well.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Four PC initiative block! Metagame time!

Not really, but I'll work best if I can have all the enemies around me (to spread around my rage damage), or if someone can pull an enemy away from me and we weaken elf A and I finish him off, I get a free charge. Can't charge anything in the current state of things,.

Me, me, me!

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I kinda forgot how Spirit Companions work, but I rolled to hit the Reticulum's anyway.

Also I'm gonna start representing player's zones and such on the map--there's now a transparent white area representing the difficult terrain that got laid down.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, you can't hit a SC with a burst or blast.

Has the size of the darkness actually increased, or is that a consequence of trying to get the other zone to display?

soxbox on
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yes, I was wondering that as well.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That's a good question, isn't it! The size thing I mean. The difficult terrain is completely separate from the darkness display. It just happens that they cover the same squares at the moment.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You guys want me to tangle with the new eladrin? I really can't do anything to these guys in the cloud.

Also, the torture dens are useful to us? Did we repurpose them or something? Regardless, we'd want to defend them, I guess. Mostly an RP concern.

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey gents, I've gone ahead and posted my actions. I'll edit the story in tomorrow afternoon when I've got the time to do so. Hopefully this will have pulled B and C out of the cloud so that our strikers can tangle with them.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I already posted my charge but this turn of events still works out in my favor (no one end their turn adjacent to D, moo hoo ha ha.)

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Try and leave whatever location is adjacent to most of them free for me to move into on my turn so that I can get my multi-mark on.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    smeej wrote: »
    You guys want me to tangle with the new eladrin? I really can't do anything to these guys in the cloud.

Also, the torture dens are useful to us? Did we repurpose them or something? Regardless, we'd want to defend them, I guess. Mostly an RP concern.

You have not repurposed them as of yet. You left them alone because their presence has warded off Drow until now, and while they'd rather tie each and every soldier to a rack, they simply don't have the ability to antagonize you. Each, however, is dangerous enough to an individual force to be weary of. They count as flankers for anyone.

Though since the people running them are smart enough to not have bothered you so far, it's possible you might get some use out of them. The only thing Torog's faithful might hate more than people who aren't in pain are Drow.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    My turn depends on the positioning of the enemies after the College pulled most of them, so I need to wait until that is resolved.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The College will pull Drow B and C to E3 and E4 if possible.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The avarice zone is actually a burst 1; since eladrin force C is dragged into the zone, it is also immobilized (save ends). I'll edit the College's post to reflect that when I post the story/description this afternoon.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Question: What would happen if I summoned the SC in a darkness square that was occupied?

I ask this because summoning is a free action, I could summon it in every dark square in a sequence as a means of detection, if it was allowed.

I am not sure how much I can help this turn, so I am going to wait until the end of the block so at least I don't get in anybody's way.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Is eladrin d at f4 or g4? I wouldn't mind having it by me.

smeej on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ugh, I r dum. Clicked Quote to copy over the status info for the last part of my post, but forgot to middle-click to bring it up in a separate tab and normal clicked. Clicking Back took me back to an empty Quick Reply window.

Anywho, I'm ideally moving to D4, followed by D3, then D5 depending on if Eladrin Force B (or someone else I can't see) is preventing me from moving to one or both of those spaces. Although I just realized something that might directly affect what I was doing.

Do these Eladrin forces have darkvision? Drow as a race do, and since you're giving them darkness causing powers, I'm not sure if you'd also give them darkvision to accompany that. I'll have to re-work what I was doing if they do, because I'll have to get my CA some other way if they can see me standing in the darkness.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Okay, I think the map's actually accurate, now.

No, Drow do not generally have darkvision. Whether these Drow can see in this darkness is something you do not know for certain.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Aegof wrote: »
    As Ander's Army attempts to move into D4, they discover that it is occupied by Drow forces.

I edited my post to account for this, but since I expect this will continue to crop up as we go along, how would you prefer we handle this?

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    In situations like this, where I give you information "mid-turn," you'll always be able to adjust everything after the point where you'd learn that information to take it into account. Ideally, you'll use the same dice rolls, but that won't always be possible.

If you'd prefer, you can take one or two actions at a time, wait for me to post to see if you learn something, and then finish your turn with whatever new information (or lack thereof) that you discover.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    From the recent errata (since I saw that our mage used both powers earlier in the fight):
    Page 104: The power now has an effect on a miss and the attack penalty is limited to –4:

Hit: The target is immobilized and takes a –4 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
    Miss: The target is slowed until the end of your next turn.
    Page 105: The entire power was revised:
    Visions of Avarice Wizard Attack 5
    The illusion of a fabulous treasure appears out of thin air. Your enemies throw aside caution to seize it.
    Daily ✦ Arcane, Illusion, Implement, Zone
    Standard Action Area burst 5 within 10 squares
    Effect: The burst creates a zone in its origin square. The zone lasts until the end of your next turn. You then make the primary attack.
    Primary Target: Each enemy in the burst
    Primary Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
    Hit: You pull the primary target up to 4 squares toward the zone. If the primary target is then in the zone or adjacent to it, the primary target is immobilized (save ends).
    Sustain Minor: The zone persists until the end of your next turn, and you make the secondary attack.

Secondary Attack
    Close burst 5 centered on the zone
    Secondary Target: Each enemy in the burst
    Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
    Hit: You pull the secondary target up to 4 squares toward the zone.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the heads-up, Aegis! I believe that means that Eladrin Force B is also immobilized, save ends. I'll update my post to reflect that.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We're not gonna use that errata for this encounter. Don't worry about it until the next one comes around.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Okedoke!

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Eladrin C and D should be immobilized (save ends, -2 save penalty), I think.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So I'm thinking of moving back to get in range of C & D, healing the warforged, and then summoning a creature in F4 so that the Warforged have CA and someone can move to D4 to also have CA.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Or, not the warforged.

Can we get the square positions of people included on the initiative block? I cannot associate pictures with individual people on the map.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I can start adding those.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    <3 Everything looks so similar and I'm terrible with pictures!

I assume that crystal like thing in B3 is the origin picture for my aura, yes and not a new creature or PC?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That's the Reticulum's spirit companion, actually. Should I be marking the origin?

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I believe A (educated guess) was in D4 before. It may have moved since it attacked.

What I was thinking would happen is Mareka would shift down to F5, setting up flanking with Ander and try to mark both. Then oakhammer could shift to G5 to flank with the tortue den. Hopfully droping D.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Isn't the SC in F4 since called it there just before your update?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I don't think the map has been updated yet. I shifted back and the SC ended in F4.

Edit:Oops sorry about the not in grey thing.

Alkey42 on