Options

[DnD 4e] Darkness and Torment (OOC)

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That solves those questions, and I'm assuming a non-enemy can occupy the same space as Visions, yes?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I swear to god the dice are fucking with me today. Nearly missed the enemy 3 times and when I did hit I did enough damage to bring it down to 1 hp.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh my god, Aegis, I just read that turn. I'm... I'm sorry.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So two questions I guess:

Are you guys wanting a map update after every turn?
    Should we switch to simple, regular initiative so you guys aren't waiting around to see what the others do?

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Regular initiative is probably better, so at least you're explicitly needing to say whether or not you're delaying (so that we know who we're waiting on).

Maps are probably not necessary as long as everybody is posting the initiative block and updating positions there.

I was going to hang around until Oakhammer so that they could potentially rampage onto army D, though perhaps I should just kill D myself.

soxbox on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well if Oakhamm did kill D what would you do? I am not sure if I am reading it right but if D was marked, then it would take damage from the Obedient Servants at the beginning of it's turn and die. Assuming that it can be marked by anyone (the servants didn't mark it when it hit?) then you could mark it then take your turn as if it was already dead.

Or Aegof our the party leader Aegis could just take a turn for Smeej to get things going. He hasn't posted in either thread in 2 weeks.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, smeej is MIA at the moment so waiting for Oakhammer isn't a good idea. If someone wants to take over for him for the rest of the fight, that's fine. You might end up running without your second striker, though.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Okay, I'll take Oakhammer's turn too. Here goes.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey guys, I'll be posting an update later today.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh, I forgot to update the status block for Oakhammer. I didn't pay attention where that -2 to AC came from is that still in effect? If it is, status should be:

Initiative Block:
    Elf Force B- HP 53/164; AC 23; Fort 21; Ref 24; Will 23 Total Concealment
    [strike]Eladrin Force D- HP 1/117; AC 27; Fort 24; Reflex 20; Will 22[/strike]
    ---
    :arrow:College (C7)- HP 49/62; AC 25; Fort 20; Ref 25; Will 25; AP 1
    :arrow:Ander (D3)- HP 57/76; AC 28; Fort 21; Ref 29; Will 24; AP 1 Total Concealment
    :arrow:Reticulum (G7)- HP 77/77; AC 24; Fort 21; Ref 23; Will 26; AP 1
    Spirit Companion (J3)
    ---
    Eladrin Force A (C3)- HP 98/114; AC 25; Fort 23; Ref 24; Will 23 Total Concealment, Marked, Lawbreaker's Doom
    ---
    Oakhammer (F5)- HP 66/99 T 7; AC 25 -2; Fort 28; Ref 25; Will 22; AP 0 Raging
    Crusaders (G8)- HP 76/76; AC 25; Fort 20; Ref 23; Will 24; AP: 1
    Obedient Servant (D4) - HP 38/38 T 5; AC 29; Fort 24; Ref 27; Will 28 Total Concealment, +2 Attack Rolls & Damage (EONT Crusaders)
    Mareka (C4)- HP 53/94; AC 29; Fort 25; Ref 21; Will 22; AP 1
    ---
    [strike]Eladrin Force C (I4)- HP 27/117; AC 27; Fort 24; Reflex 20; Will 22 Marked; Grant CA to OH until AR's turn[/strike]

Map
    Shallows1-13.png

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Alkey, THP doesn't stack. Only the highest bonus applies.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, did I stack it somewhere? I overided the ones current on the Servant since mine was higher. Reperation apparatus says it adds to the bonus so it's not stacking.

Soxbox I think the -2 is from the raging, so it is still in effect. Updating the status block in my post

Ander on deck

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There we go, that was fun. Aegof will still need to roll for the opportunity attack to see if I had to expend either power, but I'm 99% certain that there is no way I could be hit between one or the other of those with my 35 AC vs opportunity attacks.

Also, since we seem to be switching over to everyone posting just the full initiative block with all the status info listed there, I went ahead and added what I hope is the correct Healing Surge amounts into it.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think those surge values are correct if Aegof considers the first two Healing Infusions of the day to be free. I know there was some debate in the discussion thread over whether you had to use two surges or not after an extended rest to reload Healing Infusion.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I do consider the first two healing infusions of the day to be free.

35 AC vs. OAs, huh. That's neat.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm assuming our plan going forward is just to beat the crap out of A?

If so, could Oakhammer move out of F5? My plan was to setup as much flanking as possible which can be helped along by:

* My construct moves to E5 getting flanking with the torture den.
    * Oakhammer shifts to either G4 or G5 to setup flanking for anyone else north of him to come in either at the angle or directly across.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Take Oakhammer's turn if you like. Or tell somebody else too Mr. Party Leader.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Indeed, as he's MIA, we can dictate his turn however we like.

And yes, it would appear that A is cruisin' for a bruisin'.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh, right, I forgot who was who.

I'm averse to taking people's turns for them personally.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Point taken--in this case, I think it's justified, as smeej has been gone for some time. I'll take his turn if you like.

We still need to figure out what to do with regard to smeej. I remember in the discussion thread someone said that they handled RL absences as if the character had "faded into the background"--i.e., they're still assumed to have been present, but we don't bother with running the character. I like this idea because if smeej returns, he'll be able to jump back in.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oakhammer still in a feral rage, chases the remaining drown into the darkness, and doesn't come back.

I figured we would take turns until the end of this encounter, but if we want just have him run off, and he can come back at any time I would think, or we can try to replace him, although I think we would be ok.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I got Oakhammer's fate figured out, so don't worry too much about that. I do have a question for you guys, though: are you going to want a replacement for smeej and the Oakhammer Tribe? We can see what we can do about getting one if you like--the structure of this game is going to make it easy to bring people in and boot them out when necessary, but I'll be leaving the decision to bring people in up to you guys.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oakhammer has a proning attack, I'll move them into flank and use that, which should negate the need for anybody to get their flank on if it hits.

Also, I'm fine with just playing along with 5 - everybody here is a pretty constant poster I think, so things should be able to move along at pace and smeej can have a chance to step back in if whatever's stopped him posting resolves itself.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Or, I guess, plan B.

Mareka will mark the army, so anybody else can move around into flanking, provoking OA's, safe in the knowledge that if he tries to make an OA attack, I can hit him hard and then push him 1 square, probably putting him out of reach so that his OA is negated.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey less strikers means more reliance on tactics and positioning, I like that. So if it was up to a vote, I say we just stick with 5 and if we run into 6 brutes we just make some sort of bottleneck and take them on one at a time.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sounds good to me!

Shucks on that critical miss for the barbarians, soxbox!

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If someone needs to wait on me (not sure) go ahead with your turn since I'm at class all day and will only be able to start looking at finalizing my turn late this evening.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Man, A's still not dead? All right that's cool. While you finish it off, start considering how you want to approach this war once you get moving. I see a few options, but maybe you can think of more:

-Secure the Shallows. Lolth sent an army in apparently pretty unimpeded. There aren't many routes for armies to take in the Underdark, and the paths from the Deeps to the Shallows were, last any of you heard, well-guarded against Drow. Whether they still are, whether the shifting Underdark has opened up new paths, whether the Drow have found some other way to enter the Shallows in large numbers, you probably want those holes plugged.

-Take the fight to Lolth. Despite the war, Drow civilization still stands strong in their cities in the Deeps. You'll have to take them on there eventually, and while heading straight down would be incredibly dangerous, it might also be the fastest way to end the war. Or yourselves.

-Strengthen yourselves. You aren't the only worldly armies in the Underdark, and gathering more to your unified cause could prove beneficial. Further, the peoples of Lolth and Torog aren't the only ones living in the -darks. Fomorian kingdoms in the Feydark, isolated tribes, aberrant outposts--many groups have not yet taken a side in the war. You might be able to convince them to do so. Or force them, if you'd rather.

EDIT: Also check out the October rules update. If the update wrecks your build or something, or you just don't play like you wanted to, I'll be happy to let you make changes to compensate. After the fight's done.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    School's been killing me, sorry. I shall by updating today.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The AR's inclination is the take the fight to the drow. It isn't so concerned with protecting the surface as it is on destroying the drow. But they aren't reckless and will not risk too much.

Shoring up the shallows is acceptable as it is an attack on the power of the drow, but not preferable. The Reticulum would gladly rip in a hole in the shallows to make them as tempting a target to the drow as possible. Then while the drow march surface-side they would raze a drow city or two. Or ambush the drow army, whichever had the better chance of working.

Aberrants are in line behind the Drow for elimination. So while teaming up with some would be distasteful, as long as it increased success and didn't give the aberrants more power, it would be tolerable.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sorry, I've been busy of late too, at least got my actions up. I'll look into the rules update when I have more time. RP stuff too. I'm tired, me no thinky right now.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Low slash is a vs reflex attack, but that's only 1 less than ac, so still a miss. Where does your +21 to attack come from? +18 base, +2 for ca, where's that extra +1?

I'll be a little less responsive over the next week as I'm across the country in Perth. I'll check in on my phone occasionally though.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    At work, so I can't double check, but the extra +1 is from a feat (Light Blade Finesse?) when I have CA and am wielding a light blade (so basically all the time).

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I will wait for Ander to milk the CA again before attacking if it is still alive.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Drow forces down! Realized after I'd rolled to kill them that maybe we should have tried forcing a surrender out of the last remaining group. Ah well, maybe next time.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The thought had crossed my mind, but I don't really know what we would ask them. Just be a week of, glory to lolth this, spiders will feast on your entrails that. I wanted to move things along. They are drow, they want to kill what they can't enslave.

The AR wants to follow the tracks of the drow army to find where they came from and then do some damage to the source, like burning mushroom fields or damming rivers etc, assuming a straight up siege is too much to expect from our warband.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So everybody is "busy" this week, so I thought I would post a summary of what is needed to keep things going, since the battle is over.

Votes on whether you want to shore up defenses in the shallows, seek out allies in the underdark, or take the fight to the drow.

AR votes for taking the fight to the drow. Defending the shallows seems to passive, unless there is something specific in the shallows that would give the drow an advatage. And trying to strike some sort of treaty with a beholder clutch or Illthlid hive doesn't seem like a good idea, they would be too much of a liability if it could be done. I am not against trying to rally the feydark to our cause, they are the only thing I can think of that might be acceptable to fill the power vaccum left by the drow. I just don't have an angle to work on them.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm aiming for an end-fight post today, but I do need a decision before we continue past that.
    Alkey42 wrote: »
    Defending the shallows seems to passive, unless there is something specific in the shallows that would give the drow an advatage.

Well, there are the small, scattered torture dens. Individually they don't matter much, but collectively, they give Torog a significant amount of power--power he needs to both fight this war and do his job as a god of earth and pain and prisons.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hmmm....I'll vote for fighting the drow. I do think that at some point we should attack Torog, so as to keep him from growing too powerful.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So is Torog on our side? Or is he on his side and against the Drow?

Alkey42 on