Options

[DnD 4e] Darkness and Torment (OOC)

1234568

Posts

  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Torog's allegiances are complicated and messy and you can make knowledge checks to get the details. (Religion, Dungeoneering, History.) The short, immediately relevant version:

    1. Torog hates everybody.
    2. He has a particularly potent arch-rivalry with Lolth based on her presence in what he considers his Underdark.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm for the 'strengthen yourselves' route. Any excuse to gather a posse.

    soxbox on
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Posses are wonderful things, I'd be up for that route as well. Although Ander certainly isn't opposed to killing Drow. He has little desire to settle in though, so shoring up defenses and waiting for the enemy to come to us wouldn't be up his alley.

    abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok, so if we are going to round up some allies, do we agree that the mushroom people are the place to start?

    Also, if we need to make some sort of skill check, I can add +5 to anybody's check by speaking with the spirits. As an encounter power.

    Alkey42 on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So any more thoughts on this? From what I can tell you're split between gathering allies and taking the fight to the Drow.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not necessarily against strengthening ourselves by seeking out allies, but beyond the Paths to the Deep being 'well-guarded' do we have any more specific descriptions of the extent of drow defenses there? We came out of this encounter relatively well off, so if we were to head down and pick off a few outposts while keeping more of an ear and eye out for subjugated communities or groups, might be an option.

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Drow lands are very well protected; very few of their border fortresses or cities have fallen, and Drow tend to reclaim them pretty quickly.

    The Drow, according to your most recent information, have tenuous-to-total control of about two-thirds of the Deeps in the Underdark, and a not-insignificant presence in the echo-darks. Most of these aren't the well-guarded Drow lands mentioned above, but that'll be of little comfort when you're sandwiched between Drow and rebellious Aberrants, who would rather kill or enslave you than ally with you. (Not to say that you couldn't convince them of otherwise, of course.)

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    We should at least scout the Drow fortresses and asses their strength. To see how much of a threat we pose to them, and how much help we would need.

    We are pretty much more likely to be killed outright than listened too by just about anything in the under and echo darks. My feelings are the least insane bet is the myconids who are just insane (opposed to insane and demonically devious like everything else) and launch armies from the grove on a regular basis. If we could direct them to attack the drow and not us, we could piggy back on their armies and it might be enough to take a fortress or two.

    Then again, when faced with choices like this, one instinct is the pick the craziest option. If you are going to negotiate with crazy murderous manipulators with little chance of success, may as well fail spectacularly. So mind flayers could do the trick. Hey, if we did manage to pull it off, then they could just build an army by mind controlling everything else. Flayerdark has certain ring to it.

    Alkey42 on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok I think everybody has made their case, and not much discussion is happening. So Aegis just make an executive decision in your next post.

    Alkey42 on
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think the general consensus has been to try and grab some friends.

    soxbox on
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm alright with friend-grabbery.

    Saurfang on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Post made, with overlooked question of which way we should actually go to start looking for people!

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Huh, good point! What do we know about the surrounding environs? Should we make some checks to figure out what's around, Aegof?

    Saurfang on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Knowledge checks are great and you should always feel free to make them about anything you can think of. Dungoneering and History are good bets, and perhaps Streetwise if you want a better idea of who might make good allies. You can also use Perception to send scouts or scry or figure out the Drow maps that survived the battle.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Given that they don't think Mushrooms can consume pieces of the living gate, the AR are totally ok with seeking out carnivorous mushroom people.

    Alkey42 on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    All right, looks like you've decided to track down some dragons. Sounds good to me. Let's talk travel.

    Between combat encounters, I'm going to be putting things in your path. Obstacles, locations of note, unique opportunities, that kind of thing. You'll then be given the chance to deal with these however you like--skills, powers, rituals, simple roleplaying, and anything else you can come up with. Most will be a chance to earn something, from a +1 on the next initiative roll to shiny new weapons. Failure just means not getting these things, which, no, will not put you at a disadvantage later, so feel free to try a crazy plan if you like.

    I'm gonna get you guys moving soon, assuming no one's got some RP left to play.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oops just realised that I never made my IC contribution to the post-combat.

    I've made some minor updates to Mareka - most notably changing from a battlerager to a weapon talent fighter, as I wasn't really using much of the features, and THP is less useful with two leaders. I'm considering switching to hammer rather than axe, but doesn't really make a difference at this point (just pointing it out in case thinking about loot drops at any point).

    soxbox on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What do we make of the fiery letters? Is Asmodeous slaping us in the face with a hint? I feel like we are letting an oppertunity pass us by if we just watch him go. I am going to try talking with it and hoping a botched roll doesn't get us in a fight with a demigod.


    edit:
    ha HAaa! Who says sentient hive mind crystals from a plug in the bottom of a galactic bathtub of mutant tentacle monsters do not have social skills? Shardminds got game.

    Alkey42 on
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Actually I think that message was just for the Headmaster--a response to Abraxus's claim that one can still exercise agency while enslaved to the will of another. The Headmaster and the Cringe have something in common--I tried to subtly imply that in the dialogue and narration. Of course, there is every possibility that's not what the Cringe was referring to.

    And I think the Cringe did agree to kill us some Drow.

    Saurfang on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, that was a message for the Headmaster. He can share it if he likes, but he doesn't seem the type. I guess it could be from Asmodeus, but it's probably more likely that the Cringe has more than one way to communicate.

    I'll get up the results of AR's rolls tonight, then if no one's got a response to those, we'll hit the next thing.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can we get a dungoneering or history check about the location the cringe suggested? This may be a better option if it is a sure thing. If we think we can trust the cringe.

    Alkey42 on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My character has maps set out before me so when I get home tonight I can see about making a history check.

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Given that the Cringe's advice will lead us to the Glutton's Teeth, a Torog stronghold, should we continue on to dragon-recruiting? Or chance the Glutton's Teeth?

    Saurfang on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Everything is a chance. Torog is already at war with the Drow. If there is a wrakspawn army there, it isn't like we have to convince them to attack. Plus wrakspawn would rather add us to thier army the old faishon way, via the rack.

    The dragons are neutral, I assume, so gaining them adds numbers to our side that wasn't there before.

    Vote Dragons

    Alkey42 on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Will the path to the dragons take us in the same general direction as Glutton's?

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Good question, Aegis! That said, I'll also cast my vote for dragons. Yay dragons!

    Saurfang on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They're in the same general direction, but will eventually involve very different routes. Going to one does not preclude getting to the other, but might make doing so harder.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok, well I will feel better "recieving aid" from Torog's followers with a pack of dragons, even if they are young dragons, at my back. Or if we are unsucessful, 3rd degree burns destroy pain receptors, so it's all good.

    Alkey42 on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yea, dragons are nice.

    If we want to send a quick scouting group, I can cast Battlefield Elocution on you so you can shout back to us.

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    oooh this is tense!

    I give it 50/50 chance they just charge at us screaming BANE!!!

    Alkey42 on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Much apologies, behind in everything given the sheer amount of school work that just killed me this past week. I'll get around to actually doing something once I've slept. As a heads up, I may have a similar stretch of days without sleep/activity in 2 weeks when I have the final set of assignments/exams this term.

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey no worries! It's finals time for me as well, so I'm similarly busy.

    Saurfang on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah it is cool. I have my degree, but my wife is currently working on her general exams for her PHD. So I am busy with everything else. Although this week that has meant staying home from work with a sick 4 year old, so I actually have had more time for things like this. But it is ok, I am patient, I knew this would not go quickly going into it, but it has been worth it for me so far. As long as it is done, eventually.

    Alkey42 on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sorry, folks, been having some technical difficulties that are probably overcome now. Haven't forgotten y'all, I swear.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I will just come out and say it. It's thanksgiving week, I think all posting requirements/expectations are absolved until next week. Gobble Gobble!

    Alkey42 on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, basically. I'll try to keep up if you guys do, but!

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Are we still a group? It's been a while since anybody other than me, Aegof, and Saurfang have posted. :(

    Alkey42 on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ok trying to recap what the great forum hiccup of '10 let slip into the nether

    soxbox said hi

    I asked for some group discussion on our next move. The options that I see:
    Try to rescue the dragons with a surprise attack, making enimies of Zeir in the process
    Try to negotiate with the snakemen, loosing surprise but not having to fight the enemy of our enemy, maybe
    Joining up with the hobgoblin army if they will have us
    backtracking and taking another option.

    I think Saurfang said something about talking to the Snakemen, but I don't remember. If we could get them to just all get along, then we could use this underwater back entrance to strike a massive blow against the drow.

    end of recap

    Do we have any way of traversing an underwater cave? I think the snakmen have gills, but how do we move our entire army? The shardminds and warforged will be ok. If Aegis is still around some sort of steampunk submarine would be totally awesome, we could use dragon breath to power it.

    My vote is we parlay with the snakes, and if they force a fight, so be it.

    Alkey42 on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A or several steampunk submarines would be totally awesome and I would absolutely allow such a plan.

    In case you want to do that.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The drow frolic around their black lake, taking it easy, whipping slaves, watching the underdark's next top gladiator, when a huge nautilus type vessel surfaces in the middle of the lake, hatches open along its back like ICBM tubes, and in a burst of flame dragons jet out of them, snakemen and warforged and shardminds walk out of the edge of the waters like a zombie horde, GLORIOUS.

    Alkey42 on
Sign In or Register to comment.