As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

learning

Chaotic DescentChaotic Descent Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
How do I get out of this cloud of ignorance? Sheer force of will for volume of information alone is insufficient. How do I find a guide?

I feel like I've wasted a lot of years, and I want to better myself and my mind. There's no shortage of information in the world, but I'm finding it hard to stumble upon information on information dissemination. Research, learning methods...

I've had trouble getting back into reading, but I've started to read more just recently. Still, I see a diagram like this and I feel like I'm running around in the same circles as before.
learning_pyramid.gif
but some people learn better through different methods. I wonder how that effects such a diagram. Some people are more visual, others are more hands-on, some are fine with just words. I actually have a hard time with audio-books. I'm too visual, so without the visual cues my brain feels disconnected from the audio content and wanders off. Lectures with video are better. ... I'm not really sure what this chart means though. What constitutes audio/video that is neither a lecture nor a demonstration? Would that mean diagrams/charts and the like?

Chaotic Descent on

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Learning about what?

World Issues?

Quantum Physics?

Pastry Baking?

Ruckus on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So you'd like to increase your brain power, correct? I've been playing around with Brain Age, and that's helped me a little bit with exercising my brain.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ignore the chart - averages don't matter at all if they don't apply to you. So what if most people learn best by Teaching Others? If reading does the trick for you, read.

But to answer your question, audio-visual usually means video.

EDIT - if you were trying to teach others in large groups, maybe it'd make sense to listen to a chart like that, but for yourself/teaching a small group figure out what works best for you/those specific individuals and stick with it.

I think what the chart is trying to say is that the deeper your engagement with the topic, the better you will retain the information. A lecture has very little engagement, you listen and try to remember what was said. A demonstration allows you to see the process, so the instructor can't miss explaining steps. A discussion group forces you to think about the subject and explore it more deeply. Practise by doing forces you to stumble accross any problems that might have existed in the explanation, that you and your group may have missed in your discussion. Teaching others is probably based on the assumption that you've learned it well enough to feel comfortable teaching others, and will learn better by knowing that shortly you have to prove that knowledge.

Unfortunately alot of these types of studies tend to be based strictly on regurgitation, rather than actual understanding of the subject because you can't really measure someones understanding of a subject in a percentage (tests and exams in schools try to, but oftentimes leave huge parts of the taught knowledge untested.)

Wezoin on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So you'd like to increase your brain power, correct? I've been playing around with Brain Age, and that's helped me a little bit with exercising my brain.

Not so much.

Go to college, OP.

Esh on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Even just the title of this thread gave me flashbacks to a few previous threads, all of which were coincidentally started by you and many of which typically boil down to people telling you things that are a little different from your preconceived notions and which you thus argue against even though you started the thread in the first place to get other peoples' opinions, but...

Just read more books. If you can't learn by reading, go to college or watch TED videos. Other than that you're out of luck, pretty much, unless you find people willing to tutor you or something. But really. Books.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Even just the title of this thread gave me flashbacks to a few previous threads, all of which were coincidentally started by you and many of which typically boil down to people telling you things that are a little different from your preconceived notions and which you thus argue against even though you started the thread in the first place to get other peoples' opinions, but...

I am so glad I'm not the only one who remembers this stuff.

admanb on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Just read more books. If you can't learn by reading, go to college or watch TED videos. Other than that you're out of luck, pretty much, unless you find people willing to tutor you or something. But really. Books.

Oh, man. I remember this guy now.

OP, here is my advice. Get a job that takes up more of your time and throw your computer away. Take up some sort of craftsmanship hobby. Nothing you want to improve will ever be improved via the approach you take, which is sitting around wishing you could improve and posting in H/A.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Oh, man. I remember this guy now.

OP, here is my advice. Get a job that takes up more of your time and throw your computer away. Take up some sort of craftsmanship hobby. Nothing you want to improve will ever be improved via the approach you take, which is sitting around wishing you could improve and posting in H/A.

Agree. College is a good bet.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, okay. You're wasting a lot more time here.

If you want to learn something go... learn it. Take a class, read a book, join a club. I have recently decided thanks to a visit to the Corning Museum that I am interested in flameworking. Unfortunately I do not live anywhere near Corning, so I typed "google.com" into my address bar, entered my location and the kind of class I'm looking for, and found several options that look promising. My next step is to save up for the class I want to take and then contact the organization that offers it. You will notice that none of the steps in this process involved making an H/A thread to make excuses for why I can't take thoughtfully given advice, or why I think that the person who responded to it who actually works with glass is wrong.

What do you want to learn? Do you want to learn about science? ars technica is a great place to go to find out what interests you. Current events? news.bbc.co.uk is completely free, and everything is neatly segmented into different topics and parts of the world. Do you want to learn about the learning process? There are any number of classes you can take, and all you need to do is look them up. If you want to learn about random things randomly, go to wikipedia and hit the random button.

If you want to debate the nature of the pyramid you posted for some reason, D&D is just half a forum away. If you want to respond to people's comments by telling them how lazy you are like in a number of your previous threads, we appreciate your honesty but we don't care.

The computer is a great learning tool, and the internet is also a tremendously powerful aid, but you are not going to better yourself by sitting in front of it and driving us crazy through sheer mind-blowingly pseudo-intellectual (to use your word) debate. Eventually, you are going to have to get up. Osmosis is not an effective teacher.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Chaotic DescentChaotic Descent Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    well... what are the odds that I would run into a webpage like this on a completely unrelated subject.
    Mentat Wiki
    This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I just hope they have everything. Things like [reading and adjusting] moods and frames of mind are probably top of my list.
    What I wanted to learn was how to think and interpret. No small order, but I wanted something more focused on an efficient mind, VS just the whole broad subjects of philosophy and psychology.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    OP, here is my advice. Get a job that takes up more of your time and throw your computer away. Take up some sort of craftsmanship hobby.
    sounds like good ideas.
    coincidentally started by you and many of which typically boil down to people telling you things that are a little different from your preconceived notions and which you thus argue against even though you started the thread in the first place to get other peoples' opinions, but...
    So you don't want me to argue with people who give advice after I ask for it. (or at least to you.) Alright! Sounds fine! *grins maliciously*

Chaotic Descent on