As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Crysis: Warhead - Big momma jamma (S6, final set)

124»

• Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just starting to get caught back up watching my LPs, and oh wow how did I miss sticking with this while it was running. I just finished watching set 8 and from the turtle to punching the dic(hehe, dic)tator in the face repeatedly to declaring yourself predator (which I had been thinking about every time you decloak-kill-recloak) this is an absolute gem of an LP. I can't wait for the Warhead section!

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ah ha! I still met my deadline! Take that, Youtube! I'm just too cunning to be beaten by inexplicably failed uploads.

So. Crysis: Warhead. I can't really fancy up the OP for this due to being jailed, but there really isn't a whole lot to add anyway. For Warhead, you play as [strike]Jason Statham[/strike] Psycho rather than Nomad; the game also picks up at a point well after where Crysis started. From my Crysis Let's Play, Warhead picks up right after Set 6 if you want a reference point. This means that we start off killing Commies again, although the time until we end up fighting aliens is also shorter. Just like in Crysis, I modified some files to make the game much more enjoyable to watch and to play, but a lucky grenade or a couple of guys with assault rifles can still bring me down pretty fast. And for some reason, the game forgot my sound settings between sessions, so the sound balance for the initial part of Warhead is not great. Fortunately, it's the basic tutorial bits anyway so there's not much for me say that can't be missed.

I know I probably shouldn't be, but I'm somewhat proud of the transition video I made here. Yeah, it's only something like a minute of footage, but it took me something like 3 hours to figure out enough about the Crysis editor to get everything working. I hope you get a laugh out of it. Also, I definitely did not build the little mod used here, but it can quite easily be found on the internet.

As for what happens in this set, well, things get off to a roaring start. Lots of KPA soldiers get shot, lots kiwi birds murdered in horrible ways, I get hit with some instant kiwi karma, and I also undertake the world's shortest sneaking mission ever. Seriously, I sneak for at least several consecutive seconds before blowing it thanks to forgetting about my rifle suppressor. I do, however, find awesome dual-wieldable machine pistols and my ever-trusty shotgun on the very first level of the game. Righteous murder ensues. Oh, I would also like to mention that since Psycho is obviously not the kind of bad dude to get talked at by his suit using a guy voice, I changed the suit voice to "Sexy Lady".

Set 1 - Kiwi birds! CRUSH!

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ha! Awesome start :)

Daemonion on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Something I noticed about Warhead, that is a great improvement, is that you don't have to use pick up to pick up.

That is to say, if you walk over a gun, as like other FPS games, you automatically get the ammo. You only need to use pick up, if you want a modifier the weapon has or to dual wield.

Suffice to say, single-wielding the SMG, zipping from cover to cover, cloak and speed, you just become lethal Batman and it is so awesome. No need to get annoyed by the auto-dual-wield silliness.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    KarmondKarmond Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    Something I noticed about Warhead, that is a great improvement, is that you don't have to use pick up to pick up.

That is to say, if you walk over a gun, as like other FPS games, you automatically get the ammo. You only need to use pick up, if you want a modifier the weapon has or to dual wield.
    Pretty sure it's based on the difficulty setting you pick. I think on lower settings you can just walk over ammo to pick it up, on higher settings you have to do it manually.

Karmond on
  • Options
    Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is it just me or did the LP jump from driving along the road at the End of P1 to fighting with a submachine gun at the start of P2?

Regardless, I think this is going to be another great LP.

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is it just me or did the LP jump from driving along the road at the End of P1 to fighting with a submachine gun at the start of P2?

Yeah, somehow I lost about thirty seconds of footage there. Just some footage of me driving down the road and killing a few guys. Nothing epic.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Nothing epic.
    Like how your grenade flipped that humvee onto the roof of the house - which is subsequently destroyed?

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No, it was just me driving off the edge of cliff and hitting a rather sturdy tree and then dying in the resulting ball of fire and debris in front of about a half-dozen KPA soldiers.

You know, the usual.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No, it was just me driving off the edge of cliff and hitting a rather sturdy tree and then dying in the resulting ball of fire and debris in front of about a half-dozen KPA soldiers.

You know, the usual.

Sums up some parts of Crysis pretty nicely.

Still a great game.

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wow, Warhead is a lot shorter I thought it would be. This is only Set 2 and we're already back to where everything gets frozen after Nomad gets out of the alien base. It happens out in the ocean, though, so it ends up looking a lot more interesting. Psycho is also a giant pansy for how he deals with this KPA soldier taking a whizz and kind of dumb for risking his neck to save what must be the dumbest person to ever pilot an F-22. Probably not as dumb as me for managing to kill myself with a rat, but still pretty dumb.

And these KPA nanosuit soldiers are just bullshit. Towards the very end of the set, you can see me put three rockets into one of them as fast as I can reload and fire. Not only does he not seem especially bothered, he just keeps plugging away at me with his shotgun. To help deal with these guys, you get anti-nanosuit grenades but the grenades suck. It's a minor gripe overall, but enemies with huge stack of health as the only thing which makes them tough makes for very poor game design.

Set 2 - No. You get to live.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow, no love for the new set...?

I agree that it is sad that direct impact is non-lethal but the frag rounds were quite potent. Though it would just be easier to throw a grenade than wait for the launcher to do its thing.

Man... animal cruelty all up ins. Or something. Poor kiwis and rats. Though the barrel bugging out and killing you for lobbing one was good for a chuckle or even a guwaf.

Keep it up.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Every time this updates, the thread disappears before I notice it.

This all makes me realize how much I missed out by not recruiting local wildlife to help me fight the commies.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It wouldn't hurt if I could update more often, but Youtube has really been aggravating lately. I've been trying to upload a set for two days now and I've only managed to get one single video up so far. I had two full sets queued for uploading yesterday, checked back this morning, and the second upload was stuck at 1335 minutes remaining. I was displeased.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    After much wrestling with the Youtube beast, herein lies Set 3. Things are still cold, aliens are still jerks, and the shotgun still reigns supreme.

So in going back and watching this again, I want to know why there is a huge-ass aircraft carrier parked practically on the beach. As one might imagine, an aircraft carrier is pretty enormous and require a deeper port than some rinky-dink inlet on a topical island. More importantly, what kind of insane captain is going to take an aircraft carrier close enough to an island where the enemy could literally swim on over?

Much more importantly, I want to know how all the tanks are frozen up so bad I can't use them, yet there are still plucky APCs rolling around to cause me problems. Perhaps some sort of crazy North Korean antifreeze utilizing the ice-fighting power of radioactive isotopes? O rmuch more likely, game devs realizing that they should throw something at you besides a bunch of nanosuit troops and aliens?

Set 3 - I bet it's gigantic, isn't it?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    "OOOOH, NO!NO!NO!"

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Time for some spelunking! I suppose this could be considered the "invade the alien base" portion of the game in terms of being stuck in a bunch of caves, but it's really not the same at all. It's rather brief, lacks the vertigo of fighting in zero-G, and mixes up the combat between aliens and humans. It may not have the visual flair of the alien base, but I think I enjoyed fighting in these caves a good bit more since it's pretty clear where you have to go.

Also, a bit of (hopefully) minor bad news. While uploading this set, I got a hard drive failure warning. The good news is that the warning was about the hard drive I use for my operating system; this means that, should the drive fail, I should be able to easily restore my OS via backups and a new hard drive. Anything not for the use of the OS goes on other drives, which means Crysis: Warhead and the hard drive I use for recording are quite safe. The bad news is that I don't have a lot of free cash at the moment so getting a replacement hard drive could be problematic. I haven't personally noticed any problems with the drive so it may be something inconsequential, but I'm hoping that the problem is minor enough that it can wait until I've at least finished this LP before going sour.

Set 4 - Heigh-ho, off to work I go

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    KarmondKarmond Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    One really annoying thing I hated about the train (next set) is that being on the moving train accellerates the cloak drain rapidly. So you can't sneak up on guys, and you can't really hide when there's no cover.

Karmond on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey Ninja, I... think the videos are busted or something. The first one at least never gets past the 12 second mark or so before freezing up and getting stuck loading.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm having the same problem, but it seems to be all of Youtube. Might be undergoing maintenance or something.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Seems like a temporary issue. I just went and tried and the videos work fine for me now.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's been well over a week since my last update but the reasons for that are numerous and major. But as advertised, Warhead is indeed much shorter than the first game since this is the second-to-last set before Warhead is done. I know this because I actually have the final set already recorded but still have to do the edit-and-upload dance.

So. Psycho. Yup, he's pretty much useless. He doesn't listen to orders, doesn't murder helpless soldiers (until he's mad), and actually has a tough time choosing between saving a soldier who got caught or keeping world-changing technology out of the hands of an insane dictatorship. The nanosuit program must be really low on candidates because Psycho is really just an all-round terrible choice for somebody to give a super-suit to and send on special missions.

On the upside, he finally murders the crap out of somebody who is basically helpless against him. I guess that would make him a hypocrite, but I don't really care because at least it gets him over his adherence to useless rules nobody else listens to.

Set 5 - JASON STATHAM ANGRY

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ninja Snarl P, I've seen some parts of the LP (as in, some of the beginning, middle and near-end), and I have some thoughts, questions and possibly criticisms below. Sorry if this sounds negative at any point; I just want to express my honest opinion and hopefully have something constructive to say:

1) It's great that you're uploading things in 1080p, which I barely ever see in LPs, but it's aggravating to have to pause and up the resolution every time a new video loads. This is less of a criticism of your LP and more of YouTube. I'd say to find a site that provides a download video option because it's really convienint but I'd be a hypocrite since I only host vids on YouTube as well.

1a) Is there a way to make vids automatically display at their highest resolution instead of 360p? This would remedy about half my complaint from above.

2) You should totally link the playlist for this LP in the OP. Makes life so much easier.

3) I've seen enough of your STALKER stuff and this LP to say I like your commentary. You don't fill-in silence with random, dull jabber like so many LP'ers mistakenly do and your voice is far from monotone.

3a) One issue is that I noticed you or someone else mentioned you record the game's audio and your voice commentary into the same mix using FRAPS. If this is true, I highly recommend against it; putting mic and game sound into one file is a huge gamble, and sometimes the mix does get noticeably off (i.e. one's too loud, other's too quiet). If you can use Audacity or any other sound recorder that puts your commentary into a separate, editable file, I would suggest doing it if you can invest the little extra time it takes to do; it's not that hard and doesn't take too long. Of course if you are putting commentary in a separate file then please ignore this part.

3b) Your microphone volume is turned up in a way that it becomes fairly static-y when you're loud. This can be easily fixed by recording at a quieter volume and then turning it up as necessary later on.

4)You are good at these semi-to-fully non-linear FPS games, and that makes this LP so much more watchable! I salute thee.

5) You mention modding Crysis in some way (making armor take more hits and such), but I didn't catch all of what you said. Is this information in the OP; I'd appreciate it if I could read what you've changed instead of having to rewatch an entire video or two just to find the part where you explain your setup. EDIT: Nevermind, I just suck at reading.

Okay that's all for now. I'll have more thoughts when I finish the LP, let me know if you want to hear 'em.

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Do you yet live?

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I'm alive despite a number of factors. And after a stupidly long delay, here's the final set of the Crysis: Warhead LP. The ending kinda pops up out of nowhere, giving you a tragically short time with the explodey cannon, but oh well. Warhead isn't supposed to be a full game anyway, so I'd say that it delivers on more good Crysis action.

Overall, I'd say I just wish the game had utilized more open spaces and the cutscenes had been handled better. Fighting the aliens wasn't so bad this time around, but you really don't get as much of the huge areas to fight in like the first game. And the cutscenes weren't the worst things ever, but they were filled with a lot of empty space. We really did not need to see two minutes of Virtual Statham agonizing over choosing between dropping a soldier in a river or keeping world-changing technology out the hands of hostile dictatorship with no regard for human life. On the upside, watching Nomad drown the one soldier was great.

Set 6 - Big momma jamma
    And now a bit of bad news. Obviously, I haven't been able to deliver regular updates and that's due to a number of very good, very important reasons. Now that Warhead is completed, I'll be taking a break from LPing until I can stabilize my financial situation. Having a few updates spread across an entire month isn't fun for anybody and I really have to prioritize dealing with a number of personal issues. I'm hoping the hiatus lasts no more than a month, but that's a pretty optimistic estimate right now.

I do, however, have another couple of games in mind for LPs and have every intention of getting back to LPing early next year. I'll just have to see if life cooperates enough to let that happen. In the meantime, thanks for watching! If you have any comments you'd like to make, I'll still be around, just not not posting new LP material for a while so you can just message me or something.

The upside will be that I will be experimenting with improving my LP work during the downtime. I'll be working with things like better encoding so I can put new sets up on the internet for viewers to download the source video, better audio balance, and better editing. So I'll be out of LPing for a while, but that also means people who enjoy my stuff will getter higher-quality LPs in the future when I do start again.

And courtesy of npc.EXE, here is an abomination of 21st-century technology and 80's pop music which actually manages to be quite a fitting end note for my Crysis LP and me taking a break from LPs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRyX1tC2OS0&feature=player_embedded

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Best of luck with your situations and I hope you can put a resolute end to them in good stead.

Thanks for the LP and if you ever feel like playing something online hit me up.

:^:

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for all the great LP's Ninja.

I hope everything works out well for you.

Spartan 0092 on