As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to un-wire my PC

galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm moving into a new living situation, and whereas before I always paid for my own wired internet connection, I have the opportunity to share a wireless connection with a few other people, for a much lower outlay.

I have no problem for most of this, as I have a wireless router, and most devices are run off of the wireless (game consoles, phone, etc). However, my PC has always been wired, and I have no idea how to set this up. I'm told I need a wifi dongle which I can plug into a USB port.

So my questions are essentially:

1) How do I hook up my PC to a wireless network?

2) If I need to get a dongle, what are some good brands or what should I look for in one?

linksig.jpg
galenblade on

• Options
    Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If your PC does not have a built in wireless card (most likely it doesn't), then you need a dongle. They are connected via USB (unless you get one that fits into a PCI slot), they're cheap (unless you want to shell out top dollar).

I got the Zonet ZEW-2500P. Have had 0 issues with it running on Vista 32 for about 3 years now.

Newegg's selection of wifi adapters

Your choice will also depend on if your router can broadcast in Wireless N or not.

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, is your router doing the sharing for everyone else, or are you connecting to another router? Either way, if you want wireless access for your PC, you might look into a wireless bridge. A bridge eats wifi signals and craps out internet over ethernet, so you can use it for any wired device later down the road, such as an xbox or laptop.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    So, is your router doing the sharing for everyone else, or are you connecting to another router? Either way, if you want wireless access for your PC, you might look into a wireless bridge. A bridge eats wifi signals and craps out internet over ethernet, so you can use it for any wired device later down the road, such as an xbox or laptop.

I will be connecting to another router. Bridges, though, look a bit more expensive than I'd like to pay. My PC is the only thing that is not wireless that I'd need to connect.

A friend of mine told me about a way to turn my router into a receiver, and then I could essentially just run it into my PC from there. Is that a possibility?

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If your router can run dd-wrt or another custom firmware, just turn it into a bridge.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes, your friend was talking about turning your existing router into a bridge. If you ever transfer files between your devices over the network, having them physically plugged into the same switch will make those transfers much faster.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My house is on wifi, and my computer is downstairs from the router. I was getting an awful latency problem and signal, I think because of chicken wire in the walls or something. I had a headache trying to set up a bridge, when my available tools were a trendnet router, an airport router, and the AT&T wireless modem. DD-WRT didn't want to work right with everything and dropped the bridge every time something rebooted. Very ugly. I could have bought different equipment and gotten it tow ork, but instead I just bought a power over ethernet set up - it runs the ethernet connection over your power lines. I plugged in one unit by the router, and ran an ethernet cable, and the other plug by computer. Works like a charm, totally plug and play. It took like five minutes, and it's like running ethernet cable through the walls with none of the hassle.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That isn't what "power over ethernet" means. POE is when electricity runs through your network, not when your network runs through your electricity.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That isn't what "power over ethernet" means. POE is when electricity runs through your network, not when your network runs through your electricity.

He meant ethernet over power, clearly. Both of those technologies exist.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

He meant ethernet over power, clearly. Both of those technologies exist.

100% correct. Misspoke.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    OK, it looks like a dongle is the way to go, then. I don't have the technical knowhow to turn my router into a bridge, and it seems unnecessary too. $30 for a dongle seems like the best option.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    galenblade wrote: »
    OK, it looks like a dongle is the way to go, then. I don't have the technical knowhow to turn my router into a bridge, and it seems unnecessary too. $30 for a dongle seems like the best option.

For many SOHO Wi-FI capable routers there's usually an option in the config page that you simply check and it puts it into wireless bridge mode. What model do you have?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you ever do decide to setup a router as a bridge, the 2nd post of this thread details how to do so, with DDWRT.

Arrath on