As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age 2 anti-hype thread [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I had Alistair executed

I figured it was for the best

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I couldn't execute Alistair. He was like the Robin to my Batman(ambiguous sexuality included).

Dragkonias on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't trust gingers

Leliana gets a pass due to her accent, though

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I generally agree with ChopperDave.

Who wouldn't? I mean he was magnificent in that film where he became a werewolf.

Also I think people here are really not giving credit for the whole fact Alistair lost everything to the blight due to Loghains actions. He was almost forced into a position he never wanted or cared for - until he thought that Loghain might survive the justice he arguably deserved. I mean we have a sort of "Divine" position, but from Alistairs point of view he just got screwed by the only family/people that he trusts and lost everyone else. It's not hard to see why someone could be bitter and twisted, not accepting the way events played out and end up like he did.

Yeah, when you put it that way it makes sense that he would take his ball and go home.

Alistair's driven by two things: 1) to stick it to Loghain, the guy who robbed him of nearly everything he cared about in the world and 2) to save innocent people from the Blight. The latter is something that's forced upon him, though, and in a lot of ways he doesn't want the responsibility (as evidenced by his unwillingness to lead Team Warden, his embarrassment at his noble lineage, and his general distaste for power and making tough decisions). It's easy to see why a betrayal by the Warden, the only person he really trusts anymore, would shatter him to the core.

Still kinda lame that he doesn't just go off and fight the good fight on his own terms, though.
    This is actually why I think the ending where Alistair sacrifices himself for the greater good is my favorite (especially when he's the Warden's love interest). It's a great conclusion to his character arc -- he begins the story being this well-meaning twerp who thinks he's lost everything he cared about to the Blight, shirks power/responsibility/tough decisions, and is driven more by a desire to revenge himself on Loghain than he is to save his country from the darkspawn. In that ending, though, he a) shows how much he's grown and b) realizes that no matter the shit he's gone through, he still thinks there are things worth making the ultimate sacrifice for. It's a cool moment.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    He'll end up in the Deep Roads one day anyway, it's inevitable.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I found that the noble background helped make the decision about killing Loghain a little bit easier. This was a man who killed the king, Duncan and an entire army, who did not hesitate to bring the country into rebellion at the beginning of a Blight and who's right hand man killed your parents. It would have been better to let him spend his life fighting the Blight, but I did not relish the thought of having that trecherous bastard watch my back and I did not regret killing him.
    It made the ending cooler too. I left Alistair to guard the gate so that the royal line would be safe, and when I saw the cutscene where that other warden threw himself at the archdemon I thought to myself "you idiot, you are going to get yourself killed aren't you?". In the end Ferelden got a new start and the Warden became a hero to be remembered for all time.

Vic on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just wish at that point when Anora was complaining about letting Loghain live I could yell "MY PARENTS ARE DEEEEEADDDDDD" and then boot Loghain in the face.

Edit: Followed shortly after by her as well.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    She was a cold-hearted bitch. My biggest regret at the end of the game was leaving Allistair to deal with her alone, but she was just too useful to kill.

Vic on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anora was a whiny brat, I figured that out right away from the way she was acting during the rescue mission.

That being said, she seemed like she would be good leadership material, so I let her be.

Dragkonias on
  • ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well I felt pretty darn good about killing Loghain because he was a dick and then making Alistair kill the Archdemon because he was also a dick. Win win win.

Chronocide on
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hmph. I managed to spoil the story for myself a bit there.
    I didn't know a Grey Warden has to die to kill the archdemon

Here's the greatest problem I have with Alistair's personality and story: Inconsistency.
    After I unsuccessfully tried out several different dialogue trees to see if there is way to keep both Loghain and get Alistair and Anora together, I went to the DA wiki and saw that it is possible if you "harden" Alistair (D:) before the Landsmeet.
    That option comes up in the game only once during his personal quest (which, as most companion quests, is disappointingly short) where you have to choose the most dickish possible response to him getting thrown out of his sister's house. Try to be a bit nice to him and he remains the childish nincompoop for the entire game, be an asshole and he turns into a hardened cynic. That's it - one chance and whatever you do after the fact doesn't matter. It doesn't matter that I dragged him with me all around the place where I constantly made compromises and sometimes spared the lives of disgusting individuals in order to make Ferelden as strong as it could be for the Blight.
    So in the end, screw him. I'll take Loghain with me, he will die a glorious death fighting the archdemon and I hope to see Alistair in DA2 as a half mindless ghoul in the Deep Roads even if it means that Deep Roads make a reappearance in that game.

OldSlacker on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    See if I were a dwarf I would have re-routed a river into the deep roads by now.

I do it all the time in Dwarf Fortress and it only occasionally results in scores of innocent deaths.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hmph. I managed to spoil the story for myself a bit there.
    I didn't know a Grey Warden has to die to kill the archdemon

Here's the greatest problem I have with Alistair's personality and story: Inconsistency.
    After I unsuccessfully tried out several different dialogue trees to see if there is way to keep both Loghain and get Alistair and Anora together, I went to the DA wiki and saw that it is possible if you "harden" Alistair (D:) before the Landsmeet.
    That option comes up in the game only once during his personal quest (which, as most companion quests, is disappointingly short) where you have to choose the most dickish possible response to him getting thrown out of his sister's house. Try to be a bit nice to him and he remains the childish nincompoop for the entire game, be an asshole and he turns into a hardened cynic. That's it - one chance and whatever you do after the fact doesn't matter. It doesn't matter that I dragged him with me all around the place where I constantly made compromises and sometimes spared the lives of disgusting individuals in order to make Ferelden as strong as it could be for the Blight.
    So in the end, screw him. I'll take Loghain with me, he will die a glorious death fighting the archdemon and I hope to see Alistair in DA2 as a half mindless ghoul in the Deep Roads even if it means that Deep Roads make a reappearance in that game.

If you're already to the landsmeet, I don't know how that first spoiler surprised you. I could have sworn it was explained before then.

As for the second -
    being an asshole in the real world isn't going to make your friends into assholes; usually, they'll just leave. But if you take full advantage of a moment of vulnerability, what you say (or, rather, the way you say it) can leave a lasting impression. I imagine that's what they were going for with the 'hardening'

Tamin on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    See if I were a dwarf I would have re-routed a river into the deep roads by now.

I do it all the time in Dwarf Fortress and it only occasionally results in scores of innocent deaths.

I think you underestimate how big the tunnels are. The other existant Dwarf city is all the way across the continent by the border between the andfells and orlais

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Clearly you are not very smart. If the tunnels are really big then just re-route a really big source of water. Like the sea.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    If you're already to the landsmeet, I don't know how that first spoiler surprised you. I could have sworn it was explained before then.]
    It's not. It's not revealed until you go back to Redcliffe, right before the very end of the game.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tamin wrote: »

As for the second -
    being an asshole in the real world isn't going to make your friends into assholes; usually, they'll just leave. But if you take full advantage of a moment of vulnerability, what you say (or, rather, the way you say it) can leave a lasting impression. I imagine that's what they were going for with the 'hardening'
    It was never my intention to turn him into an asshole, but into someone able to rule a kingdom. If he can't get over his personal desire for revenge when they clash with a good decision for his people, then he is not worthy of ruling them.
    Oh, and one thing he definitely shared with Cailan was a romanticised view of the Grey Wardens. The whole "Being a Warden is an honor not a punishment and I won't accept Loghain as a Grey Warden because that would demean the whole order." is utter crap. There are a lot of people in the Grey Wardens who were drafted into it because the other choice was death on gallows. Not to mention that from what that other Grey Warden (who, btw. was actively tortured by Loghain's henchmen and still recommended his Joining) was talking, there are some Wardens in Weisshaupt who are considering taking over the country as a ruling caste.

OldSlacker on
  • MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am still waiting for a suit of Sexy Dog Armour.
    Will be awesome if we get it in DA 2.

Maou on
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anybody tried this awesome mod? It's a mod that lets you play through the first dungeon of Baldur's Gate 2. As far as I know, they got everything right. Apparently they're going to do the entire game, so this is a bit of a preview I guess.

http://dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1836

EVOL on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why would I want to play through the first dungeon of Baldur's Gate II again?

Couscous on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Chateau Irenicus?

Again?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited November 2010
    I'll install that along with the "fade goes along twice as long" mod.

Couscous on
    edited November 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    I'll install that along with the "fade goes along twice as long" mod.

Where is that? It sounds awesome. And would still be a tenth the length of the deep roads

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Recreating Baldur's Gate 2 as a Dragon Age mod sounds cool, and the attention to detail does look nice, but you do know they'll never finish it. There's just no way.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    IF they finish it, it'll probably take at least 5 years minimum. That game is fucking huge.

Irenicus's dungeon is indeed a drag, but it was still nice to be able to play at least a bit of BG2 in shinier graphics.

EVOL on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    There is a reason why BG2 was massive, 2d graphics and no voice actors. Good luck making it all 3d.

Fizban140 on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know how old a game we're talking about when Dragon Age provides an appreciable step up in graphical shininess.

Gaslight on
    edited November 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »
    You know how old a game we're talking about when Dragon Age provides an appreciable step up in graphical shininess.

It really isn't that bad. Hell, the presence of AA and more consistent texturing alone make it better than a certain other recent bioware release

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    I really thought ME2 and DA:O both look great, I am playing on max settings with maxed AA though.

Fizban140 on
    edited November 2010
    Don't mind Spoit, his one-man ME2 hatetrain is just making a stop through port again.

Dragkonias on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just canceled my ME3 preorder for good measure.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know, playing the new AC game made me appreciate how a sequel can be done well. Take the best parts of the original, intensifie them with new game play mechanics, and repair systems that are lacking. So, what DA:O was weak in: graphics, balancing issues, ugly ass armor, bland equipment.
    What it excelled in: storytelling, voice acting, interesting pary members.

If BioWare can follow that, we should be golden.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know, playing the new AC game made me appreciate how a sequel can be done well. Take the best parts of the original, intensifie them with new game play mechanics, and repair systems that are lacking. So, what DA:O was weak in: graphics, balancing issues, ugly ass armor, bland equipment.
    What it excelled in: storytelling, voice acting, interesting pary members.

If BioWare can follow that, we should be golden.

Well they essentially did that for ME2 and this thread has bad blood with that game

Dox the PI on
    edited November 2010
    I would say the story in ME2 was worse than the one in ME1(the main one at least)

But yeah to everything else.

Dragkonias on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, they could have improved the inventory instead of getting rid of it entirely. I miss shootin' and lootin' and putin' on new gear. Other then that, it was golden.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    edited November 2010
    I know that I have a reputation about that stuff. But I was being 100% serious. I do think DAO looked better than ME2.

Not only was the general balance of what to spend high-res textures/models on much better, with the really crappy ones relegated to the background, there weren't super close up shots during the dialogue to show just how bad the civilian models were, especially their clothes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/Spoit/MassEffect22010-11-1717-54-00-58.gif

Look at the straps, you can almost see the individual pixels

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    They could have attempted to make the exploration system not shit instead of just removing it. Remember when that was a hyped feature?

Couscous on
    edited November 2010
    The story in ME1 was much better, didn't really like the second one well...felt too much like The Empire Strikes Back, maybe the third one will pick up better. Although most of the characters were pretty well done, although it was severely lacking in lesbian alien sex scenes and Tali ass shots.

Fizban140 on
    edited November 2010
    The second ME didn't really set up for the third one like with Star Wars.

Couscous on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm baffled people think DA:O had bad graphics. Just what kind of bizarre metric are you using here?

Edit: Specifically, tell me what you're comparing it against exactly?

Astale on