As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest: A Wild DQ XI has appeared...on 3DS and PS4...and NX?!?

• Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    I was pleasantly surprised by the Ansel support, this is the only game I've played besides Witcher 3 with it and I can't stop taking screen shots of cute animals and enemies. This game looks absolutely gorgeous. Loving the actual game itself too but I knew I would. Every Dragon Quest I've played has been like comfort food taken seriously by a gourmet restaurant with the finest ingredients possible.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I know nothing of the plot, this is simply pure speculation just from not only promotional images, but also the PS4 theme you got from preordering digitally. There might be a connection to old Dragon Quest games. Or just a simple shout out. Who knows.
    The special ornate sword you see in some images is straight up the Erdrick/Loto sword from DQ 1-3. Just the sword though. There's also a symbol of Erdrick/Loto from those games, but it doesn't match the symbol on the main character's hand.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Games 1-3 and 4-6 are connected.

And Erdrick/Loto's stuff shows up everywhere just because that's Mr. Dragon Quest.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Question: This isn’t a direct sequel to any of the others, right? The only DQ game I ever beat was Dragon Warrior.

It's not a direct sequel but it does reference an event from previous DQ.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Games 1-3 and 4-6 are connected.

And Erdrick/Loto's stuff shows up everywhere just because that's Mr. Dragon Quest.
    DQIV-VI are so far apart in-universe time-wise that they may as well be self contained, the connections are pretty much nifty bonuses for those that played the previous games in the trilogy. DQI-III are much closer in terms of lore, though the big conflicts of each game still aren't connected so you don't really need to play the previous games to enjoy the later ones.

• Options
    Anyone getting pretty bad performance in Heliodor on the PC?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    "Everywhere" also means legally distinct.

Etrian-Odyssey-X_04-09-18.jpg

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Kids actually went to bed a little early tonight, so I got about 2 hours in tonight. Just made it to Heliodor and met the King. Seems very good so far, and utterly gorgeous.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I guess I couldn't wait for the Switch version to be announced. Goodbye free time.

Dm_TAz_VKVAAA7_Tql.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I just spent an entire day Dragon Questing.

On a computer.

kx0gpv7ij4h5.png

What a time to be alive.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Dear lord this game is wonderful.

This is what I expected modern JRPGs to be like. Why don't they make more games like this? I just don't understand.

It has such a great sense of adventure right out the gate. The start gave me the same sort of feeling I got back playing Ocarina of Time and just running around the beginning village.

This really has the makings to give P5 a run for it's money.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

This is what I expected modern JRPGs to be like. Why don't they make more games like this? I just don't understand.

Because Square Enix does not understand their lifelong core fanbase. They are constantly chasing new fans and trying to convert the modern gamer, or the Call of Duty / Madden crowd into FF fans, so they keep deviating from the formula that those of us who grew up on JRPGs love.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with CoD/Madden, but those are entirely different genres of games, and I don't understand why Square is so obsessed with chasing that crowd. I would think that it would make much better business sense to make their existing fanbase happy by giving them more of the content they desire.

Obviously with the success of Octopath, and also the very early signs of success with DQXI, there is a very clear indication that fans want traditional RPGs. Hopefully Square sees the sales success of both of these games and maybe is a little bit more considerate about making traditional style games in the future.

I still really want to see them return to their traditional roots in the Final Fantasy series. But I doubt that will ever happen.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Because Square Enix does not understand their lifelong core fanbase. They are constantly chasing new fans and trying to convert the modern gamer, or the Call of Duty / Madden crowd into FF fans, so they keep deviating from the formula that those of us who grew up on JRPGs love.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with CoD/Madden, but those are entirely different genres of games, and I don't understand why Square is so obsessed with chasing that crowd. I would think that it would make much better business sense to make their existing fanbase happy by giving them more of the content they desire.

Obviously with the success of Octopath, and also the very early signs of success with DQXI, there is a very clear indication that fans want traditional RPGs. Hopefully Square sees the sales success of both of these games and maybe is a little bit more considerate about making traditional style games in the future.

I still really want to see them return to their traditional roots in the Final Fantasy series. But I doubt that will ever happen.

Hopefully less like Octopath and more like this. But yes, I hope this gets semi-decent sales here. It just seems weird that NOBODY is doing games like this anymore. The PS2 years had so many damn traditional style JRPGs with minor tweaks to set them apart. And yet these days we just never see them. Between this and even P5 it just shows me how much they can really do with using turn based systems and adding in on the modern trappings and visuals to make some really magical experiences.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Welp

Here I am at work

Just sitting here

Wanting to be back home playing Dragon Quest

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Welp

Here I am at work

Just sitting here

Me too my friend.

Me too.

Gonna be a looong day.

I did take a 4-day weekend for this and Spider-Man.

Just gotta get to the weekend..

• Options
    Welp

Here I am at work

Just sitting here

Me too my friend.

Me too.

Gonna be a looong day.

I did take a 4-day weekend for this and Spider-Man.

Just gotta get to the weekend..

I go on vacation for a week and a half on Friday.

On the one hand: Vacation!

On the other hand: No Dragon Quest

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    When's the release date for the Switch version? Trying to weigh my options here...

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    When's the release date for the Switch version? Trying to weigh my options here...

There is none yet.

There are rumors that they may announce the date at TGS but that's all the info we have so far.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

There is none yet.

There are rumors that they may announce the date at TGS but that's all the info we have so far.

Damn it... So until next Summer at best.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    There is a rumored Nintendo Direct tomorrow. They have loved to surprise drop things on us lately.

I played for around 5 hours straight yesterday and it is just wonderful. Refined where it needs to be. Old school where its best to be. Story is outstanding so far. And the music is to die for.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I know the games look is "simple" but boy howdy does it look nice. The "sewer level" is a really good showcase of the lighting/materials system and just fits so well -
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    There is a rumored Nintendo Direct tomorrow. They have loved to surprise drop things on us lately.

I played for around 5 hours straight yesterday and it is just wonderful. Refined where it needs to be. Old school where its best to be. Story is outstanding so far. And the music is to die for.

While the music is good, I feel like it's a bit too familiar? And I'm not sure it if is midi or some approximation of midi, but I wish we got something more sweeping. I mean the midi sound effects in battle are fine, but everywhere else as well. . .meh. It's not bad, just wish we got something sounding a bit more modern.

I mean realistically my biggest complaint which is the size of an ant-hill made by microscopic ants is that this feels a bit TOO much like DQ8 just rejiggered.

. . .still great and so far it is a better game than DQ8 for sure (hell the "crafting" rework is beyond appreciated), I just wish it felt the tiniest bit "new."

ED! on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    . . .still great and so far it is a better game than DQ8 for sure (hell the "crafting" rework is beyond appreciated), I just wish it felt the tiniest bit "new."

I absolutely adore Dragon Quest, but the series has never, ever done "new."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    What would constitute as 'new' in this case that would be desired?

I'm personally a big fan of them just making improvements to the formula because it's been 13 years since I've had this experience. And I liked that experience so it's nice to have it again just improved on. There are plenty of other games that come out that can do new things, it's not like this particular brand of experience happens often enough to need to be changed up imo.

I dunno, it just feels like if too much was changed here this particular experience would just be gone which would be a pretty sad thing I think.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    While I understand the opinion on midi I dont really agree with it when its a well done. The core part of the series and other series of this length are core anthems combined with new themes. The new overworld theme I found myself bobbing my head to. And I have liked the other themes on where I have gone so far. And the tried and true battle theme etc are just welcome old friends.
    The lack of one in the sewers with ambient noises was well done as well.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Newer sounding music? New faces? There are certainly things you can't touch and have it still play as a DQ, but even FF remixes things up a bit. The music is honestly my biggest gripe and it's not really a gripe just a wish.

ED! on
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

Hopefully less like Octopath and more like this. But yes, I hope this gets semi-decent sales here. It just seems weird that NOBODY is doing games like this anymore. The PS2 years had so many damn traditional style JRPGs with minor tweaks to set them apart. And yet these days we just never see them. Between this and even P5 it just shows me how much they can really do with using turn based systems and adding in on the modern trappings and visuals to make some really magical experiences.

There are a number of contributing factors.

Part of it is that mobile games and indy games can provide retro JRPG nostalgia for a much cheaper price point and on more convenient hardware than AAA games can.

There's also the fact that the console market in Japan is dead, and many of the few Japanese console gamers who remain are westaboos who never liked Japanese games to begin with. To make up for this, Japanese console game devs feel like they need to appeal more to foreign markets.

When Bethesda localized Skyrim for the Japanese market, they ran an advertisement campaign that specifically shat on JRPGs, essentially accusing them of being grandpa RPGs. Turn-based combat was one of the features they listed as being outdated. Skyrim turned out to be hugely popular in Japan, especially for a western game.

So you've got the mobile market dominating in Japan, a growing indy market in the west, an increased reliance on western consumers for Japanese products, and western game devs mocking you in your own country.

With all that going against them, it's no small wonder that only the two most prestigious JRPG developers, Enix and Atlus, feel like they can still get away with making AAA games with turned based combat, in this, the year of our Lord 2018.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

FF XV sold over 7 million plus gobs of DLC. They don't need or want core fans in that franchise anymore. Frankly it makes more sense to keep churning out DQs and have games for both kinds of players instead of just one.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    SE has no incentive to change the core formula of Dragon Quest much beyond simple QoL changes; Dragon Quest is such a household tradition in Japan that deviating from the core gameplay would murder the franchise, and SE knows it. But they have no reason to, either - DQ11 sold gangbusters in Japan, 2 million in the first two days and 3 million by the end of the first week, department store launch lines going around the block, etc. it's very much doing fine.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Newer sounding music? New faces? There are certainly things you can't touch and have it still play as a DQ, but even FF remixes things up a bit. The music is honestly my biggest gripe and it's not really a gripe just a wish.

Well there will probably be a new composer for the next one so you should get that wish!

But the faces, I mean that would require not having Toriyama do the art. Which would be a pretty gigantic change. So I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Not sure what you mean by "even FF" though... as mixing things up has been the MO of FF for quite a while now. Whereas the point of DQ is specifically the opposite of that by staying true to it's roots.

• Options
    I think they mean success outside of Japan. It's nice and all that this is the 11th of the series. . .but this is only the second on consoles which makes it "dead" for a lot of gamers.

• Options
    I think they mean success outside of Japan. It's nice and all that this is the 11th of the series. . .but this is only the second on consoles which makes it "dead" for a lot of gamers.

Huh? Dragon Quest IX was the only Dragon Quest that wasn't released on a major home console.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Man, this beginning of the story is so.... cliche.

I love it

• Options

Huh? Dragon Quest IX was the only Dragon Quest that wasn't released on a major home console.

I'll restate. . .MODERN consoles within the last decade or so. Ten years is a LONG time in between home console releases.

• Options
    KoldanarKoldanar Registered User regular
    Anyone getting pretty bad performance in Heliodor on the PC?

I wouldn't call it poor, but I'm getting stutters. It's either texture streaming issues, or my cpu (2500k OC to 4.5, but it's a few generations old at this point).

3DS friend code : 1375 - 7258 - 4504
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    The 3DS version outsold the PS4 version in japan by a large margin in those first couple days too. If you are ever wondering why Nintendo makes some of those Switch decisions heh.

I love that they dont have to change. Because everything being fast action based these days is not a good thing. Nor "better design".

Jubal77 on
  • Options

I'll restate. . .MODERN consoles within the last decade or so. Ten years is a LONG time in between home console releases.

That's mainly SE's fault for being bad at leveraging the property. It takes them like 5-6 years per standard entry so there's going to be gaps of up to entire console generations between titles.

• Options
    Fingers crossed the 3DS announcement means that Nintendo has decided to bankroll the localization for DQ11 for 3DS to prove that the 3DS is totally still alive you guys we're not ignoring it

shut up, a man can dream.

• Options
    Oh the US isn't get DQ11 for 3DS? Now I have to double hope that I hear something about it in tomorrow's Direct.

• Options
    Nope, SE explicitly said they're not planning on localizing the 3DS version. The reason given was some PR nonsense but the real reason is easy enough to guess.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I am A-OK with Dragon Quest being the series that never changes at all, and Final Fantasy being the series that mixes it up.

I also still don't quite get the complaint that S-E somehow needs to "return to form". They... already have? Over the past little while we've gotten Dragon Quest XI, Octopath Traveller, and Final Fantasy XV. Kingdom Hearts looks like it's out of the development quagmire and coming out soon. And on the non SE front, you've got the likes of Xenoblade 2 and Persona 5. And I also really wanna mention Valkyria Chronicles 4, even though you could probably have a mini debate on where that stands in the genre.

You are not spoiled for choice when you want an "Arr Pee Gee". So I don't really understand going on as if we're still in the dark ages here.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."