As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest: A Wild DQ XI has appeared...on 3DS and PS4...and NX?!?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The Sauce wrote: »
    And DW4...man. That game did some cool shit with structure and narrative that nothing I played had done yet. Hell, I can't think of any games today that have done something structurally like DW4 did.
    Suikoden III is probably the closest any other game has come, really.

Live-A-Live. Those who have played it know what I'm talking about, but it doesn't surprise me if not many have as it's Japan-exclusive.

Unrelated, I wish they'd come up with a concrete date for DQ7 and 8's 3DS localizations, I've had them pre-ordered for almost 6 months now. Edit: WILL be this year it looks like.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    http://gematsu.com/2016/05/dragon-quest-builders-coming-west-ps4-ps-vita-october
    Square Enix is bringing Dragon Quest Builders to PlayStation 4 and PS Vita in North America and Europe this October, the company announced. The PlayStation 4 version will launch at retail and the PS Vita version via the PlayStation Store.

Oh wow that is such great news, my daughter and I have been clamoring for it

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    About 5 minutes ago I started playing my son's Chibi Robo: Zip Lash, the first Chibi Robo game I have ever played. Holy Jesus this is scratching an itch I forgot I had :heartbeat:

EDIT: I just murdered a mini-robo with my cord, I didn't know that would happen! It's like my first run through Undertale where I killed some dudes by accident :bigfrown:

Nobeard on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I expect to hear a proper date later at E3, but oh man. That gives me only a few days to a whole month to beat Final Fantasy XV, because right after that, the rest of my autumn is going to be spent playing Dragon Quest Builders.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    So, I think my Android version of Dragon Quest IV is busted.

I'm at the 2nd stage of Boomtown, have met all the requirements to see the third stage (hell, I'm doing the post-game dungeon), and the thing won't progress. I have the couple from the Cascade Cave which is supposed to trigger the town's expansion, but when I went back, it's still in stage 2. I picked up the old dwarf who becomes the town Priest and he's just standing by the small alter next to the pirate guy.

Any one got any ideas here, or experiencing something similar?

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I do recall the guides I was following not really being accurate for Android Boomtown. I think some part of it was in a different order? Like there was an extra step to advance one of the stages that was supposed to be in a different stage. I can't remember the details though, sorry :(

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Yeah, a lot of the online guides are from the DS version, which included an additional step about roaming characters for street passes. The Android version did away with that, rightfully. All of the online guides are either incomplete, or terribly unclear and outdated. GameFAQs is no help because all anyone ever does is copy/paste an old link to an existing guide that isn't helpful.

Argh, I want to finish this town! So much goodness comes out of it!

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I'm playing through IV right now, too. Just finished Chapter 2 yesterday.

I encountered two Metal Slimes, and killed both of them. Either very lucky, or they're less inclined to run away than in other games.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    I figured out my Boom Town problem. Honestly, half of the NPCs talking like they have thick accents in the game can be such a detriment sometimes.
    Needed to get the old man Weaver from Riverton. When the NPC who mentions him was talking, he talks as if he's calling someone a weaver, which in the context of his accent and the text, makes it sound like he's just referring to an old man. And since he mentions a "town by the river", it was either Riverton or Rosehill, and since I found an old dwarf in Rosehill, I just assumed this was the NPC they meant.
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    I'm playing through IV right now, too. Just finished Chapter 2 yesterday.

I encountered two Metal Slimes, and killed both of them. Either very lucky, or they're less inclined to run away than in other games.

Now wait until you're fighting Platinum Jewels in the bonus endgame :D

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    There's some chatter going around now about DQ7 possibly hitting this week. Some dude working at Target took a picture of them having the price/title display stickers set up:

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    There's been at least one other person on Twitter posting the same thing, different Target. If it is a mistake, it's a Target mistake, not an individual screw up.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The tweets aren't fake, I just took this video

• Options
    That's no DQ7! Silly stocking employees!

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Donkey Quong.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    A surprise release is cool, but I don't know why they couldn't have announced that a few weeks out.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    That's better.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    That's a terrible date. That only gives me 14 days to beat it before FFXV comes out.

Not to mention I'll probably still be playing I am Setsuna at that point. Oh and then let's not forget about Persona 5, literally the day before.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    That's a terrible date. That only gives me 14 days to beat it before FFXV comes out.

Not to mention I'll probably still be playing I am Setsuna at that point. Oh and then let's not forget about Persona 5, literally the day before.

Persona 5 is February 14th next year

Unless you're Japanese

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Oh, I thought they were doing a global release. I somehow missed that Feb date. Whew. What a relief.

• Options
    As DQ7 will take you close to 100+ hours to beat (including whatever additional content they include), you'll have plenty of time for it before you submit to DQBuilders.

• Options
    So apparently these are the reasons Dragon Quest hasn't caught on in the west:

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/15/11951250/dragon-quest-builders-e3-2016

"There's two main reasons. The first is that, in Japan, the Famicom was kind of the moment that video games became part of families, and people really started bringing them into their homes. In the West, we feel like PlayStation is where home consoles really caught on with Final Fantasy 7, so Final Fantasy has that foundation ... where it really captured the hearts of gamers.

(The second reason is that) Mature gamers look at it and feel like it's a kids game. When you actually play the game, it's a little complicated for children to play, but it's kind of been a hurdle for grown ups to get into it."

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I can believe that. I'd say Nintendo had the market on video games in North America long before Sony with the NES though, and they were definitely a "family home" thing during the SNES/Genesis era.

Maybe I'm a bit lucky though in that one of my earliest childhood memories is when I was 3 years old playing Asteroids! on my Collecovision, and when the AC adapter blew, we got an Atari 2600. My family passed around the controller to play Pac-Man and Donkey Kong almost every other night.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I can believe that. I'd say Nintendo had the market on video games in North America long before Sony with the NES though, and they were definitely a "family home" thing during the SNES/Genesis era.

One of my favorite moments in the SNES era was playing "spot the SNES" in all of the family sitcoms of the day. It was a very subtle yet blatant product placement that helped push it as a family console.

To this day I still distinctly remember an episode of Hangin' with Mr. Cooper, that had an SNES in a cabin that was very blatantly playing Super Mario World on the screen. The reason I remember it so well is because at one point, Cooper yanks the cartridge out of the console as part of the plot, and the game continues to play. That's a kind of humorous oddity that very blatantly sticks out to a kid at the time that was raised with video games.

But the reason I don't think DQ took off as well as FF did was because DQ never got that frontier game onto the Playstation like FF7. The kind of game that basically defined the generation of "look at this, this is what the future is" like FF7 did. All the Playstation got was DQ 7, which was basically just a somewhat fancier version of the previous stuff.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Will be picking up DQ7 on DS... even though I was annoyed by it at points with you spending so much time on certain characters only to have them leave for good..

When I was a kid playing RPGs, DW1 was myself and all of my friends had played, it was tough too. Final Fantasy 1 was another that hooked all of our friends. After that I think I was only one of the few to keep playing the series. I would rent them when they would come out and just absorb the game into my being. Looking back I wish that was a series that I had actually purchased, since I still have most of my old NES games..

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    It didn't help that we never got DQ5 or 6 and ports of the games stopped altogether until 7, which was a pretty late release on the console if I recall. We literally skipped an entire console generation for DQ games, but we weren't hurting for quality jRPGs thankfully.

I feel like if we did get the SNES games, the series would have had more of a lasting impression in North America, at least on a common level, rather than being this niche thing that only hardcore jRPG players knew about and were feverishly waiting for hackers and translators to release patches for emulated ROMs. We were probably all the same people who bought the DS re-releases.

• Options
    It didn't help that we never got DQ5 or 6 and ports of the games stopped altogether until 7, which was a pretty late release on the console if I recall. We literally skipped an entire console generation for DQ games, but we weren't hurting for quality jRPGs thankfully.

I feel like if we did get the SNES games, the series would have had more of a lasting impression in North America, at least on a common level, rather than being this niche thing that only hardcore jRPG players knew about and were feverishly waiting for hackers and translators to release patches for emulated ROMs. We were probably all the same people who bought the DS re-releases.

I own the Japan DS version of DQ 5(was in Japan when it was released it 2008 and couldn't resist getting it) and the US version of it, and yea I played the translated version (id still like to buy the dejap guys a beer one day)

sadly I don't have the US version of DQ 5 anymore.. I think I lent it out and it never got returned..

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    We got DQ7 on PS1, which looked like a halfway point between a SNES game and a PS1 game, on Oct 31 2001.

Two months later, Dec 17 2001, we got Final Fantasy X on PS2.

In terms of catching people's eyes, DQ7 didn't stand a chance.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    We got DQ7 on PS1, which looked like a halfway point between a SNES game and a PS1 game, on Oct 31 2001.

Two months later, Dec 17 2001, we got Final Fantasy X on PS2.

In terms of catching people's eyes, DQ7 didn't stand a chance.

Its laughable to think it would...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lfiTebewnc

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Heh, I had no idea the timing was that short. It's a wonder they even bothered to translate DQ7 at all with that kind of schedule, and that close to the "end cycle" of PS1.

• Options
    I am 100% on board with DQVII 3DS, btw. Sad I missed it on PS1, but this is looking like overall a better iteration.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Dragon Quest VII Hyper Japan Festival 2016 Demo Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkliO15hNZ8

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Some old people still call all videogames "the nintendo".

• Options
    According to a Nintendo financial report, Dragon Quest VIII is coming in 2017. At least in Europe.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160727_3e.pdf

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Unfortunately doesn't say much for NA, as knowing how long it takes for games to localize to Europe, that could be anywhere between "now" and "Ghostlight".

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Two things I noticed.

1) Classes change your appearance! Awesome.
    2) Monolog.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    So yet more versions of Dragon Quest X are coming, PS4 and NX. Though if any will actually get a western release who knows.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/08/07/nintendo-nx-version-of-dragon-quest-x-confirmed-in-development-alongside-ps4-version/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I feel like they may be gearing up for a Western release. The game will be two whole generations of consoles old by the time the NX version releases.

Why spend all this money to bring a dying, old game to new consoles? What new playerbase could they possibly hope to gain, if they weren't looking to expand to a larger audience? A global audience, perhaps.

• Options
    That would be awesome

But I dare not dream it, lest my hopes shatter all over the floor and leave me to step on their jagged edges, a permanent scar of what could have been