As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[True Blood] #2 (Book Spoilers Likely) - Last Ep Season 3 Finale "Evil Is Going On"

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know if I was in a bad mood or what, but it seemed like latest episode was full of Dues Ex Machina bullshit.

Something cool is going to happen!
    but we won't kill Eric or the King :\

and then!
    eric magically escapes the cement with no explanation

Pam got him out. That's why she was complaining about getting cement out of her hair.
    and of course
    Sam runs across his brother who has at least a 12 hour head start.
    I'm also getting really really really fucking tired of the sookie/bill I love you, no i don't, yes i do, no i don't, yes i do...ad naseum

BAH!

Sam's a shifter who's been around Tommy long enough to know his scent. All he had to do was follow it.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    i will miss russell

He's not gone, they literally stored him for later usage

Years ago, I used to play a lot of Vampire: the Masquerade online (in games known as MUSHes). We often used pretty much this exact tactic to dispose of inconvenient vamps. We called it "sarlaccing".

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    and then!

You should pay more attention to the dialogue. They explained it.
    Pam said she still smelled like wet cement. Duh-hoy.

Bill even
    tried to account for that in that immediately after he cemented Eric, he tried to send Eric's assassin after Pam. who failed, apparenty (good job, Bill) and then Pam saved Eric.

Pony on
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like how Eric just brushes off what happened. All he wanted in return was a new cell phone. Though he seems one to go more for suffering than just straight up killing so I suppose telling Sookie about Bill was his way of getting back.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Eric wasn't too keen on saving Bill in the beginning of the season. They're used to it.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Fallingman wrote: »
    The internet has calmed my fears that I was the only person in the world who didn't get the doll thing.

It was specifically mentioned that Whatshername likes dolls. The doll on the floor might be a sign that she's been snooping around, leaving behind dolls the way other people leave fingerprints. Maybe she's a supernatural with doll-based powers.

Foreshadowing, it's a nifty element in stories.

Though they'll probably make her a closet witch Christian that does the whole doll thing against people she considers vile while still trying to be all happy happy sunshine and lollipops.

Cade on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cade wrote: »
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Fallingman wrote: »
    The internet has calmed my fears that I was the only person in the world who didn't get the doll thing.

It was specifically mentioned that Whatshername likes dolls. The doll on the floor might be a sign that she's been snooping around, leaving behind dolls the way other people leave fingerprints. Maybe she's a supernatural with doll-based powers.

Foreshadowing, it's a nifty element in stories.

Though they'll probably make her a closet witch Christian that does the whole doll thing against people she considers vile while still trying to be all happy happy sunshine and lollipops.

Well they're in the south and voodoo has a whole thing about representative dolls, so yea I wouldn't be surprised by that sort of development.

Man, I really hope Jessica+Hoyt turns out ok though, I really like them both as characters. Hoyt is one of the few normal (read: not fucked in the head) characters on the show despite his mother's best efforts to the contrary and Jessica one of the few normal vampires (only other one I can think of was that gay guy Jason befriended) meaning that she has plans that don't involve scheming and/or casual murdering.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm cool with that if we can learn more about the cute underwear she showed Hoyt.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    useless4 wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    No, staking him isn't too quick. They should have staked the hell out of him while inside a silver coffin, then thrown the goop in the sun, then sprinkled silver water in it and sealed it up with silver chains and tons of C4. That has silver chunks stuck all over it. And THEN buried it.

Which makes me realize how stupid Bill's assault on the Queen was. Yeah, it gave us the measure of how he has nothing to lose and is willing to just go head on, but: 1)It looked cheesy as hell 2)if she had walked into the house and into some kind of death trap or just a shotgun blast of silver/wood it would have been damn awesome.

Seriously, my wife and I just burst out laughing at the Queen/Bill thing. I don't know how anyone working on that show wouldn't realize how fucking stupid that looked.

I know Kung-fu!

It reminded me of the Matrix spoof scene in one of the Scary Movie movies.
    It reminded me of the simpsons halloween special where the whole family becomes vampires at the end, then hover in the air.

Lucid on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lucid wrote: »
    useless4 wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    No, staking him isn't too quick. They should have staked the hell out of him while inside a silver coffin, then thrown the goop in the sun, then sprinkled silver water in it and sealed it up with silver chains and tons of C4. That has silver chunks stuck all over it. And THEN buried it.

Which makes me realize how stupid Bill's assault on the Queen was. Yeah, it gave us the measure of how he has nothing to lose and is willing to just go head on, but: 1)It looked cheesy as hell 2)if she had walked into the house and into some kind of death trap or just a shotgun blast of silver/wood it would have been damn awesome.

Seriously, my wife and I just burst out laughing at the Queen/Bill thing. I don't know how anyone working on that show wouldn't realize how fucking stupid that looked.

I know Kung-fu!

It reminded me of the Matrix spoof scene in one of the Scary Movie movies.
    It reminded me of the simpsons halloween special where the whole family becomes vampires at the end, then hover in the air.

I love that episode. Isn't that the one with the gremlin on the bus too?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Eric wasn't too keen on saving Bill in the beginning of the season. They're used to it.

I believe there was some dialogue back in the first or second episode with Eric on the phone (with his assassin?) that pretty much said he was going after Bill for knowing about the V, but the wolves got him first.

Also my Sam prediction:
    He shot the bag of cash.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    For those that like True Blood I advise you to go find a new show called Lost Girl.

Only one episode came out so far and it's damn good stuff.

Cade on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What is this "Lost Girl"?

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's about a succubus who presumably sexes and devours men

override367 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Kind of.

Woman has unusual powers, has no idea why, finally gets nabbed by a group of people who have disagreements thus are split into two sides, she's one of them if you go back far enough but her species is that of a succubus, she can devour peoples souls though she often doesn't mean to do that most of the time, it becomes a hunger she wants to control, if she touches you then she can pretty much wrap you around her finger for a short time. Both sides want her on their side, she wants nothing to do with it.

Lots of different mythological beings are apparently going to be in the show. Vampires, pain eaters, freaky freak types and probably anything you ever read about most likely will show up guessing, like I said, first episode so shall have to see what else comes. But unlike most shows/myths they all seem to come from the same "source" or people which apparently are collectively named Fae.

Cade on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    and then!

You should pay more attention to the dialogue. They explained it.
    Pam said she still smelled like wet cement. Duh-hoy.

Eh I fail. Anyways I was rather disappointed with the episode even if you exclude that.

I guess I just didn't like the resolution following the build up at the end of the last episode.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know that show takes cues from the books and that Bill's exit was inevitable, but really I have to hand it to Alan Ball and his ability to have characters do a complete personality 180 in the season finale.

Season 1:
    Gave us Rene, the seemingly only cool, normal person and somehow the only person in town of Cajun descent, despite the show taking place in Louisiana. Oh wait, he's not really Cajun and surprise, he's a mass murder. What the fuck man, what the fuck.

Season 2:
    Eggs, who despite hanging around Maryanne seemed to be rather laid back and rational; the yin to Tara's yang. Unfortunately during the final episode he has his blurred memories restored by Sookie, loses his mind and has a complete mental breakdown, resulting in his confronting Terry and then getting his brains blown out by Jason.

Season 3:
    Bill, everyone's favorite Civil War Vampire and the apparent love of Sookie's life who has for as long as we've known him has been nothing but a chivalric, upstanding, compassionate fellow, despite the few humans, werewolves and vampires he's brutally murdered along the way. But they were bad people, so it's ok.

Oh wait no he's a controlling, manipulative douchebag with a completely warped sense of love who has deceived Sookie from the start and tricked her into loving him. At least this one had some foreshadowing, what with Bill gradually getting more controlling and and willingly deceiving Sookie in a few episodes this season. But in his defense, he's always had an excuse in either wanting to protect her from imminent death, or having to work a plan on the fly and not having the opportunity to fill her in.

In regards to Season 3's spoiler:
    Bill was still defensible up until the point where it was apparently revealed he let those rednecks beat the shit out of Sookie so that he could feed her his blood and link with her. All the deception and cunning he'd used up till then was completely necessary.

I mean, when you're dealing with super strong, super fast amoral vampires that want nothing more than to devour your girlfriend, who by the way has quite the mouth on her and a tendency to get herself into trouble, you have to be smart about it. Bill is so far the least powerful vampire on the show with the exception of Jessica and possibly Pam, and knows that he can't win in a straight up brawl. He's got to be smart about it and go for the long con as a means of winning.

Running a plan like that is no easy feat and I commend Bill for getting as far as he did. Sookie, being herself and all, is a huge liability and there would have been no way he could have let her in on his master stroke, especially after she'd drank Eric's blood and begun to get emotionally attached to him. But he got sloppy with Eric and that proved to be his downfall. He should have been more thorough with his entombing of Eric, or just disabled him with the handcuffs and staked him right there.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If Bill is gone, good riddance. He and Sookie are basically my least favourite part of the show. And while I know Sookie can never be gone (what with being the main character and all), at least he can be.

I never understood what Bill and Sookie see in each other. Do they share absolutely anything in common? Do they ever talk about anything of any substance beyond how much they love each other?

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I'm not sure why Bill wouldn't have just staked Eric and then Russel too for that matter.

TL DR on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And actually:
    How the hell did Eric know about Bill letting them beat Sookie? Why would Bill ever tell that to anyone ever? No reason to. Assuming he was a halfway decent guy to start with he would have let her be hurt, yeah, but not been proud of it and go boasting. And there's no special relevance to how he bonded her, he could just tell the queen he had if it came up. He wouldn't tell it to anyone but the queen. And then for some crazy reason the queen would have to bring it up.

And anyway, Bill has sure as shit redeemed himself for that deception. Not like he could have just told the queen to fuck off when he was ordered to get Sookie.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I could only assume that...
    He did tell the Queen how he got close to Sookie, and then she spilled it to Eric during the short period they were aligned in likely casual conversation. The Queen strikes me as someone who has loose lips or would enjoy gossiping about things like that.

Of course, it's never mentioned how Eric found out or even if what he said was purely a guess. Bill not denying it though didn't help his cause at all, though.

God the more I discuss this episode the more it irritates me. They should have just called it "Dues Ex Machina."

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Who didn't see the Bill "reveal" coming. I was actually a little confused that Sookie was so slow.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alcide is probably next on the Paquin Express, I wonder how Stephen feels about that.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Probably not much, since they're just acting. Barring, you know, they do more than that.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Probably not much, since they're just acting. Barring, you know, they do more than that.
    I was told that in an interview the both of them don't have any problems with it as they both said together "It's just work."

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm wondering if they'll just merge the Alcide and Quinn characters together for the TV series.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I'm not sure why Bill wouldn't have just staked Eric and then Russel too for that matter.

^ This.

I mean after he's slapped the silver on Eric, why not just stake both of them and be done with it?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

^ This.

I mean after he's slapped the silver on Eric, why not just stake both of them and be done with it?

Hey, man, you're like...staking the plot, dude.

zeeny on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If Bill is gone, good riddance. He and Sookie are basically my least favourite part of the show. And while I know Sookie can never be gone (what with being the main character and all), at least he can be.

I never understood what Bill and Sookie see in each other. Do they share absolutely anything in common? Do they ever talk about anything of any substance beyond how much they love each other?

Bill was the first man she met whose thoughts she couldn't hear, that played a big part. She didn't really get past first dates prior to that. Bill's true reasons for being interested in her change week to week.

Glad to hear a lot of other people found that the season finale had no... bite.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And actually:
    How the hell did Eric know about Bill letting them beat Sookie? Why would Bill ever tell that to anyone ever? No reason to. Assuming he was a halfway decent guy to start with he would have let her be hurt, yeah, but not been proud of it and go boasting. And there's no special relevance to how he bonded her, he could just tell the queen he had if it came up. He wouldn't tell it to anyone but the queen. And then for some crazy reason the queen would have to bring it up.

And anyway, Bill has sure as shit redeemed himself for that deception. Not like he could have just told the queen to fuck off when he was ordered to get Sookie.

Did Bill kill those guys? I don't recall.
    If he didn't then why wouldn't Eric have just been able to find out through his own means? It seems like he'd have a network of informants etc. and would be keeping his ear to the ground for vampire related info, and two drunk guys probably aren't the secretest of squirrels.

NODe on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    NODe wrote: »
    And actually:

If he didn't then why wouldn't Eric have just been able to find out through his own means? It seems like he'd have a network of informants etc. and would be keeping his ear to the ground for vampire related info, and two drunk guys probably aren't the secretest of squirrels.

He did kill them. Tornado. :P

Aurin on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aurin wrote: »
    And actually:

He did kill them. Tornado. :P

Heh, just because a vampire isn't invited inside doesn't mean they won't drop a tree on your trailer.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Re: Eric somehow knowing Bill's intentions:
    I would be willing to bet - heavily - that Eric's "reveal" of Bill's true intentions was nothing more than a well-educated guess. He just put two and two together - he probably found out how Sookie and Bill met ("he saved me from drunk rednecks by giving me his blood!") and knowing that Bill is Lorraine and the queen's pawn would help too. Eric knows most of the queen's game - that she's a V dealer, and naturally always looking to expand her consumer base - and if you couple that with the fact that Eric has tasted Sookie's blood and knows it's basically V for vampires, it's easy to see how he'd figure out that the queen would want her.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Or he might have had some of his people following Bill around for a while. This really doesn't feel like much of a plot hole to me.
    Jason becoming king of the hill billies was the only part of the finale I didn't enjoy personally.

NODe on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jason becoming king of the hill billies was the only part of the finale I didn't enjoy personally.
    Agreed 100%.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    RE Hillbillies & shifters in general this season:
    I know they're nothing like the books, but they made every strong shifter character besides Alcide into a mewling cretin. They even killed Calvin who was fairly important. The gulf grows ever wider!

Seriously though, werewolves and shifters came off soooooo badly this season. They were either jokes or minor villains at all times. Way to make your son fight in a dog ring, people. That's some power!

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The dog ring was at least partly justified though. Hell, I know people in real life that are stuck on that whole, 'This is how I did it, now it's your turn' philosophy and it takes a lot to break that mindset.

Actually the person who's pissed me off the most this season was Jason and how the whole Hotshot plot played out.
    I did not see Calvin being shot in the face coming, so that was truly a shocker. Though so far the show has established a precedent for offing new characters en mass during the final episodes of the season, so I knew some were due to die. Just didn't think one would be him because of his importance in the books.

Felton taking off with Crystal and Jason being left to take care of the Hotshot clan almost makes me feel like the writers had backed themselves into a corner and didn't know how to proceed with that subplot. In the books, Jason ends up with Crystal, but is abducted by Felton and bitten over the course of several weeks, turning him into a werepanther/human hybrid. Since Felton now has Crystal and they've both taken off, I can't see that evolution of Jason's character coming to pass. Maybe Alan Ball decided he doesn't want Jason to go that route?

But if you're not going to turn Jason into a werepanther, what was the point of having Crystal reveal herself? And for that matter, what was the point of even having the Hotshot clan be werepanthers if that aspect of them has no effect on the story? So far all we've come to realize of them is that they're inbred, redneck meth dealers who just happen to be able to turn into swamp cats.

Lastly, I'm all for Jason and wacky hijinks, but find myself liking Jason less and less as the show has progressed. He was all kinds of awesome in season 1, but has gradually become stupider, has fucked less hot chicks, and has shown a major display of ADD when it comes to his life decisions. Season 1 graced us with Horn-dog Jason, who banged every hot chick on the show with the sole exception of his own sister. In Season 2, Jason decides he wants to become a vampire-killing soldier of God with the Fellowship of the Sun and only bangs one chick in the fairly hot neglected wife Sarah Newlin. Also, despite his vampire-killer training, Jason only manages to kill Eggs, destroying Tara's love life in the process. Season 3 starts out with Jason attempting to return to his old ways of banging hot chicks, but he gets cockblocked by phantom bullet-holes caused by his guilt over Eggs. Then he wants to be a cop for some reason. Then he gets into a rivalry with some v-juiced quarterback at his old high school which goes nowhere. Then he ends up meeting Crystal, who pretty much ruins his life. He doesn't even get to bang her(or perhaps it's implied they have sex once), and in the end she takes off with her brother-cousin and dumps the entire clan of inbred hillbillies on the poor bastard.

Jason is in dire need of a Cool injection. Here's hoping that Season 4 has him claim his true destiny: Astronaut Cowboy.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Re: Jason
    Why isn't he part fae too? Does it just pick and choose who it passes down to? Just girls? Seems like just a blood relation thing to me, so why wouldn't Jason have the same issues that Sookie does? I used to think maybe it would be revealed that he was too, and that's why he had the preternatural ability to nail anything with tits in a ten mile radius. I'm not sure whether it's more or less amusing that it turns out to just be the power of Jason Stackhouse.

riz on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    riz wrote: »
    Why isn't he part fae too? Does it just pick and choose who it passes down to? Just girls? Seems like just a blood relation thing to me, so why wouldn't Jason have the same issues that Sookie does? I used to think maybe it would be revealed that he was too, and that's why he had the preternatural ability to nail anything with tits in a ten mile radius. I'm not sure whether it's more or less amusing that it turns out to just be the power of Jason Stackhouse.
    He also appears to have some sort of infallible aim.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    riz wrote: »

On that:
    It's revealed he is part fae too in the books, although his sensitivity to their "powers" is of a lesser degree than Sookie's in that she got more of the magical abilities(telepathy, immunity to mind-powers). His attractiveness is implied to be partly due to his fae lineage. The whole thing about Sookie not having a blood type and Jason having one was unique to the show. It's even possible that later on in the series they might decide that the two aren't actually related.

On Jason's aim:
    Jason has only made one remarkable shot in the show, and that was when he nailed Eggs with a headshot from across the Merlott's parking lot, and that could simply be chalked up to TV physics. He shot a stationary Father Newlin with a paintball gun, and he shot Franklin, but that was at nearly point-blank range, and Franklin wasn't even trying to dodge the bullet. Who knows though, they may show later on that he has a fairy godfather helping him out.

Ranadiel on