As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My computer doesn't know how to open up... programs?

Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey. Whenever I go to open a program on my laptop, it opens up this "What program do you want to open this file with?" window, and then has a list of programs. It's like it doesn't recognize what to do with the .exe file.

If I open a .exe file a window comes up and says that this file does not have a program associated with it and that I can set an association in the Set Associations control panel.

Someone posted about this before once and someone else had a quick fix. If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Chop Logic on

• SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    [SIZE="1"]1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type "command.com" , and then press Enter. (A DOS window opens.)

3. Type the following:

"cd\"

"cd \windows"

Press Enter after typing each one.

4. Type copy "regedit.exe regedit.com" and then press Enter.

5. Type "start regedit.com" and then press Enter.

6. Navigate to and select the key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command

7. In the right pane, double-click the (Default) value.

8. Delete the current value data, and then type:

"%1" %*

Tip: Type the characters: quote-percent-one-quote-space-percent-asterisk.

9. Close Regedit utility.

Note: If you are using Windows XP and you enable "System Restore" , you need to 
               disable "System Restore" in "Safe Mode" before using the instructions above.[/SIZE]

However most likely you're infected by a virus. You should run scans immediately after checking your registry!

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I remember a friend doing this once, when he renamed something and the extensions were already being hidden. Could that be what's going on?

Iceman.USAF on
  • Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spudge wrote: »
    [SIZE="1"]1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type "command.com" , and then press Enter. (A DOS window opens.)

3. Type the following:

"cd\"

"cd \windows"

Press Enter after typing each one.

4. Type copy "regedit.exe regedit.com" and then press Enter.

5. Type "start regedit.com" and then press Enter.

6. Navigate to and select the key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command

7. In the right pane, double-click the (Default) value.

8. Delete the current value data, and then type:

"%1" %*

Tip: Type the characters: quote-percent-one-quote-space-percent-asterisk.

9. Close Regedit utility.

Note: If you are using Windows XP and you enable "System Restore" , you need to 
               disable "System Restore" in "Safe Mode" before using the instructions above.[/SIZE]

However most likely you're infected by a virus. You should run scans immediately after checking your registry!

I got something that says windows could not find command.com ?

This all started a month or so ago. I got these big warnings saying I had been infected by a virus and my computer was freaking out (kept warning me) but when I ran Norton and whatever the windows virus program was, nothing happened. It didn't find anything. What should I do?

Chop Logic on
  • SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A month has passed? Damn son

Do you still have your OS install media?

edit: in all fairness, with how far yours is gone it's either find an IT guy to clean it for you or just wipe and reinstall. My professional opinion is your system has been so hijacked by the rogue Antivirus (and all the trojans/worms/etc it downloads to your compy) that it would be in your best interests to wipe. Unless you really want to try to fix it yourself, which will be a painstaking, time consuming and patience trying process. You will need the following things:

Another computer (XP)
    Bart's PE builder and an XP CD (Google for Bart's PE, http://nu2.nu)
    AVG/Avast Antivirus
    Spybot S&D
    MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
    Google

Read the instructions for Bart and make a BartPE disc. Slipstream installs of Antivirus, Spybot and MalwareBytes into the PE disc (instructions are readily available at http://nu2.nu)
    Insert disc into your dead machine, boot it and update/run all three applications
    Use the uncorrupted registry from the good machine as a guide, and troll through your corrupted reg and fix the calls for .exe, .reg, .com, and other standard extensions that MBAM/Spybot may not have found

Hopefully this will work, but unless you know a guru nearby, you're in for a tough fight

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
    edited August 2010
    I'm fine with wiping clean and re-installing, but what if I can't find those disks that came with my computer?

Chop Logic on
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Call your computer's manufacturer, they should be willing to send you a disk for a small fee.

It's also possible that your computer didn't come with disks, and instead has a recovery partition (in which case when you boot it up it should have a message like F# Recovery, and you hit that function key to access the partition).

Lykouragh on
    edited August 2010
    Hey, sorry, it won't let me edit.

I found the package my computer came with. It says I can restore my system without disks. I'm going to try this recovery manager thing tonight or tomorrow, I'll post how it goes.

Chop Logic on
    edited August 2010
    So when I worked tech support for calls like this, I wouldn't mention this at all, but for a fellow Arcadian;

There's nothing protecting that recovery partition from being infected by the malware.

You have a very common malware and there have been no reports of it infecting recovery partitions, as far as I know.

But if I were you I would wipe from the recovery partition, use the utility that comes with it to create new recovery disks, and then wipe from those disks.

This is probably just unnecessary paranoia though.

Lykouragh on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Go here - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm (I'm assuming you have XP)

And select the EXE File Association Fix.

I used it when I had the same problem/virus, and it restored the association just fine.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited August 2010
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    but if I were you I would wipe from the recovery partition, use the utility that comes with it to create new recovery disks, and then wipe from those disks.

This is probably just unnecessary paranoia though.

Sorry, I'm not sure I get this. I just want to back up my music and pictures on CD's and then I'm perfectly fine wiping this computer totally clean.

Chop Logic on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The recovery partition is sort of like CDs to wipe your computer clean, only instead of on CD, it's stored on your computer. Because it's stored on your computer it is possible that it's just as infected as the rest of it, though unlikely.

There is also a way to burn actual recovery CDs by using a utility that should've come with the computer.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    copy this into notepad
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.EXE]
    @="exefile"
    "Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.EXE\PersistentHandler]
    @="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
    @="Application"
    "EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
    "FriendlyTypeName"=hex(2):40,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,\
    00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,\
    32,00,5c,00,73,00,68,00,65,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,\
    00,2c,00,2d,00,31,00,30,00,31,00,35,00,36,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
    @="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
    "EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"
    "IsolatedCommand"="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"
    "IsolatedCommand"="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
    @="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\UserChoice]

put that on a disk or a flash drive and move it to the affected computer. Rename it exe.reg .

run and then enjoy.

edit: and run an antivirus afterwards. Probably best to copy that over from another computer, as any you have on their might be compromised.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
    edited August 2010
    ^what will that do?

Honestly all I want to do at this point is get my pictures and music onto CD's or something, then wipe this computer clean and start over.

Chop Logic on
    edited August 2010
    Just go ahead and wipe it, the above fixes are all to make it so that your computer can run programs again, but that won't address the underlying issue of your virus.

And don't worry about what I said, either. Back up your pictures and music as well as you can, reboot your computer and be tapping that function key (probably F10 if you have the kind of computer I'm guessing). Then follow the instructions to "restore your computer to original factory conditions" or similar.

Lykouragh on
    edited August 2010
    Chop Logic wrote: »
    ^what will that do?

Honestly all I want to do at this point is get my pictures and music onto CD's or something, then wipe this computer clean and start over.

it will fix the computer file associations. Then you should be able to clean out the virus or whatever you have.

JebusUD on
    edited August 2010
    Chop Logic wrote: »
    ^what will that do?

you could just move your stuff onto flash drives to another computer then. But why redo when it is likely easily fixable?

edit: hell, you might not even have a virus. could be just a random registry error.

JebusUD on
    edited August 2010
    "This all started a month or so ago. I got these big warnings saying I had been infected by a virus and my computer was freaking out (kept warning me) but when I ran Norton and whatever the windows virus program was, nothing happened. It didn't find anything. What should I do?"

he should be nuke and paving

Lykouragh on
    edited August 2010
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    "This all started a month or so ago. I got these big warnings saying I had been infected by a virus and my computer was freaking out (kept warning me) but when I ran Norton and whatever the windows virus program was, nothing happened. It didn't find anything. What should I do?"

he should be nuke and paving

He says he got these big warnings and it kept warning him. Sounds like he got one of those fake antivirus viruses which disable the real antiviruses. If the OP or someone else tried to fix the registry manually then that is probably what messed up the registry entries. I know, because that is what I did when I got one of those, by reading some internet instructions about how to fix it that were unclear. That is why I had that fix handy.

These things can be erased and you can continue, which is what I did. However, if you just want your music and stuff, just copy it off onto a flash drive and redo the computer. Whatever takes less work really. For me I would have been way more work to find my windows CD and redo it.

JebusUD on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, nuke and pave. The computer cannot be trusted any longer; it is almost certainly already part of a botnet. Change any passwords after reinstalling, in fact.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif