As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Have a [chat] for free

1535455565759»

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Clearly, gentlemen, there is only one solution.

To the hermitage!

Kilroy on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kilroy wrote: »
    I want to make enough money to live like it's the 1920s.

Without the depression at the end.
    all hiring saucy young ladies

to slap you when you become engrossed in your own mental contortions

Elendil on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Clearly, gentlemen, there is only one solution.

To the hermitage!

2347.jpg

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MrMister wrote: »
    visibility and status huh

i just like not having to live in the ghetto/commute an hour each way every day and being able to go out with my friends instead of sitting at home alone

Going out with friends is part of having visibility and status.

It's almost universally part of human culture, but it's a social activity nonetheless.

yeah

that is true and accurate in terms of defining those terms

but like

you made it sound different like blah blah if you need those things you're a hoighty toighty

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    will i'm becoming monastic

i'm going to be an elec/chem engineer, pull down like 55k a year

buy a year's worth of ramen and a big refrigerator box to sleep in

i'm not sure what to do with the rest of the money

you want it?

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

you want it?

man, electrical engineers make more than 55 starting

pfft

they have to

i dunno what my friend at IBM is making as an EE but its definitely more than that

and lordy my CS friends at MSFT are starting over 80 living in bum ass cheap seattle

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

you want it?

spend all your free time practising martial arts

James on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    i spend a lot more on strictly unnecessary luxury and comfort than i do status and visibility

clothes to the side, i guess, though i'm not really sure what's animating that is status and visibility either. it's more like meeting some sort of personal ideal.

basically, i buy unnecessarily expensive food and liquor, and go out to nice meals and venues and stuff. it's not so much to show off as to experience something nice

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    imma try to make my bed now i think i can do it

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

or, like, polio and cholera

Okay, so I really just want to wear a suit and drink in a speakeasy.

@Pods: That will do nicely.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    a neighborhood that is satisfactory to a grad student - usually a safe-ish student ghetto or student apartment or dorm - isn't appropriate to a professional adult. borrowing a car from one's buddy on the occasion that you can't walk to class or the lab isn't a big deal to a student, but isn't appropriate to an adult professional.

i guess there are just a lot of things about a student lifestyle that don't transfer well to being an adult professional. i agree that we put too much emphasis on status and materialism, and i don't claim that i'm always thrifty or anything, but i think there's more to it than you probably imagine

I think that's a legitimate point to raise. Lives are different when you get older, and your material situation changes in important ways.

What really bothers me is that I see my material situation changing in more expensive ways that I don't myself endorse. For instance, when white-collar professionals go out to restaurants they expect to order wine and appetizers, and as a whole this multiplies the bill significantly. No one needs either of these things intrinsically. But I might need to do them in order to fit in with a professional society where they are expected

This, in turn, revolts me. I see my friends going down this path and I find it upsetting. We don't need these things. This is not what we should gear a humanist economoy towards providing, and their very existence drives us towards a harmful and needless competition.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

you want it?

pfft

they have to

i dunno what my friend at IBM is making as an EE but its definitely more than that

and lordy my CS friends at MSFT are starting over 80 living in bum ass cheap seattle

i'm probably not smart enough for EE but i guess i'll find out when i return to school

Organichu on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

or, like, polio and cholera

Okay, so I really just want to wear a suit and drink in a speakeasy.

@Pods: That will do nicely.

and shoot dudes with tommy guns

James on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    now i think ill sleep

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2010

you want it?

sometimes i feel bad for not living off of a tiny amount of my salary and like banking the rest

i really do

because i remember living off of 12k in college and i guess i was happy enough right?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

you want it?

sometimes i feel bad for not living off of a tiny amount of my salary and like banking the rest

i really do

because i remember living off of 12k in college and i guess i was happy enough right?
    pfft don't feel bad

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited August 2010

you want it?

i really do

i think tastes change

Organichu on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    humanist economoy

this seems like academic nonsense to me

a humanist economy?

a humanist economy is exactly and directly a cycle of competition between self-identifying egos.

hence the need to move past humanism

I'm sure that analytic philosophy is up to such a task

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also, part of my situation is necessarily informed by living in Pittsburgh, one of the cheapest, nicest, cities in the country.

Things are cheaper here than they are, say, in Berkeley.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i'm probably not smart enough for EE but i guess i'll find out when i return to school

Man, electricity is nuts. It might as well be magic for all I understand of it.

Edit: this is not meant to discourage you. I merely wished to voice my ignorance of the subject.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    but I shouldn't say such irascible things before I go to bed

I love you all

good night

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    humanist economoy

this seems like academic nonsense to me

a humanist economy?

a humanist economy is exactly and directly a cycle of competition between self-identifying egos.

hence the need to move past humanism

I'm sure that analytic philosophy is up to such a task

All I meant by that is an economy geared towards meeting human needs, like the needs for food, shelter, and medical care.

Edit: night!

MrMister on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I enjoyed Scott Pilgrim. It was absurd in a good way, delightfully energetic and visually striking.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    a neighborhood that is satisfactory to a grad student - usually a safe-ish student ghetto or student apartment or dorm - isn't appropriate to a professional adult. borrowing a car from one's buddy on the occasion that you can't walk to class or the lab isn't a big deal to a student, but isn't appropriate to an adult professional.

i guess there are just a lot of things about a student lifestyle that don't transfer well to being an adult professional. i agree that we put too much emphasis on status and materialism, and i don't claim that i'm always thrifty or anything, but i think there's more to it than you probably imagine

I think that's a legitimate point to raise. Lives are different when you get older, and your material situation changes in important ways.

What really bothers me is that I see my material situation changing in more expensive ways that I don't myself endorse. For instance, when white-collar professionals go out to restaurants they expect to order wine and appetizers, and as a whole this multiplies the bill significantly. No one needs either of these things intrinsically. But I might need to do them in order to fit in with a professional society where they are expected

This, in turn, revolts me. I see my friends going down this path and I find it upsetting. We don't need these things. This is not what we should gear a humanist economoy towards providing, and their very existence drives us towards a harmful and needless competition.

you know, i pushed back p strongly against what you describe in general terms and your specific example (wine and appetizers) for many years after college.

i bought clothes from the salvation army and sometimes target. i'd frequent used book stores and used music stores. buy store-brand canned goods and quick-sale meat.

did this until probably i was in my 30s. had a p good run with it before i kind of mellowed.

and yeah it made me kind of a weirdo and sort of limited the company i could reasonably keep.

i'm ambivalent about it, in part because i feel like i'm kind of soft and wasteful these days, but on the other hand i'm not really sure i'm really happy with the kind of dude i was back in those days.

sooo

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Help! I have that terrible Taylor Swift song stuck in my head. What's the solution music?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't fathom feeling bad for spending your money. As long as you'll have enough saved up to survive when you're retired and for emergencies, ain't no reason to feel bad about spending money on yourself.

Edit: Oops, this is Choco.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Help! I have that terrible Taylor Swift song stuck in my head. What's the solution music?

I posted it a few pages ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5FW8Xo8ENo&feature=related

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited August 2010

you want it?

pfft

they have to

i think you're prob smart enough

but being behind in math is gonna be a challenge for you

and EE might not be the most efficient way to a degree for you

it's really gonna depend on what you can find to love in the field

i kinda think from what you have said that you are inclined towards ME

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    like, in college i didn't care about food, i just shoveled dorm slop in my mouth like from a trough

now i enjoy a well cooked (often expensive) meal

i enjoy shooting guns

shooting them costs money

i like running a lot, and at the high end of it i enjoy tech shirts and nice sneakers and performance drinks and foods

etc

i think it's possible to live a rewarding and enjoying life without lots of dollars

i think some things that are valuable to some people, though, cost some dollars

Organichu on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    time to kick the boy and start getting everything packed for when we get kicked out of this hotel in just less than two hours.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm out of work at the moment so I'm looking for like.. better than unemployment dollars. Hopefully in my preferred field.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    God, I start school in like a week and a half. This is just crazy.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I can't fathom feeling bad for spending your money. As long as you'll have enough saved up to survive when you're retired and for emergencies, ain't no reason to feel bad about spending money on yourself.

Edit: Oops, this is Choco.

my mom grew up wicked poor, and i had some rough spells once i was on my own

dropped out of school and worked at a denny's

lived in a flophouse in the DC ghetto and hung out with homeless dudes

i mean, i've seen some poor times

and i guess i kind of feel like i'm - i don't know - being wasteful? betraying the lessons i learned? - when i, say, go out for a nice meal or something

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i'm ambivalent about it, in part because i feel like i'm kind of soft and wasteful these days, but on the other hand i'm not really sure i'm really happy with the kind of dude i was back in those days.

sooo

You seem like a pretty awesome dude.

I also think that we are socially sick. We are concentrating on the wrong things. And this is somewhat borne out by happiness research: past a minimal level, more money does not make people happier, according to our best science. What makes people most happy is a minimal subsistence level, coupled with a full and active social network. My conclusion is that this means that large portions of our economy--those dedicated to ice sculptures that piss vodka for high powered executives--are not dedicated to human needs. They are dedicated to human competition and to the worst parts of ourselves.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I feel like there are degrees here.

For example,

Owning three hummers is p wasteful and destructive.

Going out for a nice meal on occasion? I could only consider it wasteful if you do not enjoy the experience.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

sooo

You seem like a pretty awesome dude.

I also think that we are socially sick. We are concentrating on the wrong things. And this is somewhat borne out by happiness research: past a minimal level, more money does not make people happier, according to our best science. What makes people most happy is a minimal subsistence level, coupled with a full and active social network. My conclusion is that this means that large portions of our economy--those dedicated to ice sculptures that piss vodka for high powered executives--are not dedicated to human needs. They are dedicated to human competition and to the worst parts of ourselves.

i think that you and i agree on this stuff, certainly in the broad strokes.

i probably even agree with you in a lot of the details.

and i'm a little envious on some levels of your current ability to enjoy the purity of your ideals.

but somehow the righteousness of thrift that i once enjoyed and took pride in has kind of faded from me, just leaving a kind of vague guilt.

i'm not really big into showy things. i drive a modest car that is over 10 yrs old. i live in a little condo in a nice area. actually, the idea of doing showy things for that reason alone kind of offends me.

but still i'll prob go out for dinner tomorrow night

and i might order an appetizer

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    anyways it is time to sleep for me guys

chat with you soon

(also i am locking this thread because who knows when jeff or elks are gonna stumble by again. make a new chat pls)

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.