Options

It's Poker Night at the Inventory!

189101113

Posts

  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hard to tell how well it's done overall... I don't remember seeing it in the best-seller charts, but Steam had such ludicrously good sales immediately after it came out that could be why.

    Then again the game was made by four guys (and five lawyers) with a heaping helping of pre-made assets, so the bar for success is probably pretty low.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I imagine that all the voice acted lines cost a pretty penny.

    Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Game won't even start for me. Tried verifying the cache and it came back clean. Just attempting a reinstall now and hopefully that'll fix the problem it doesn't want to tell me about. (Seriously, no dialog boxes with warning or anything. Just nothing)

    Nope. Still nothing. I get the dialog box from Steam saying its opening the game and then nothing. Its like I never selected the 'play' option.

    Big Classy on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    I imagine that all the voice acted lines cost a pretty penny.

    Mmm, I doubt it. None of the voice actors are big enough to really demand much above scale.

    Now getting the rights to everyone probably cost a little more... but even then it's hard to tell, since Sam and Max are practically in-house at this point, and Valve may have cut them a deal with Heavy in exchange for the TF2 stuff.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CWheezyCWheezy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    One of the more annoying things is that I can see the cards they fold from certain camera angles.

    fix that wtf

    CWheezy on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does anyone know if Poker Night at the Inventory did well enough for a sequel? I think Commander Badass from Manly Men doing Manly Things could be a good edition to the cast (if permission was granted to use him of course).

    If there was a Blackjack version I'd want Sargent Cortez from Timespliters: Future Perfet in it. If only as an excuse for him to say "It's time to split!"

    If we're going down the route of 'characters that could fit the other two spaces,' my votes are squarely for Guybrush Threepwood and Trilby.
    CWheezy wrote: »
    One of the more annoying things is that I can see the cards they fold from certain camera angles.

    fix that wtf
    That happens with the Heavy a lot, and I've never seen it happen with Tycho. I assumed it was intentional.

    Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So the 'Max and Crossbones' table has an uh, interesting effect.

    Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Game won't even start for me. Tried verifying the cache and it came back clean. Just attempting a reinstall now and hopefully that'll fix the problem it doesn't want to tell me about. (Seriously, no dialog boxes with warning or anything. Just nothing)

    Nope. Still nothing. I get the dialog box from Steam saying its opening the game and then nothing. Its like I never selected the 'play' option.

    Nobody else is having this issue?

    Big Classy on
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Game won't even start for me. Tried verifying the cache and it came back clean. Just attempting a reinstall now and hopefully that'll fix the problem it doesn't want to tell me about. (Seriously, no dialog boxes with warning or anything. Just nothing)

    Nope. Still nothing. I get the dialog box from Steam saying its opening the game and then nothing. Its like I never selected the 'play' option.

    Nobody else is having this issue?
    Lot's of people on the telltale boards are having the issue as far as I can tell. It's the reason why I've yet to pull the trigger on this. I already gambled, and lost, a fancy coffee on L4D2 working on my machine during the Black Friday sale.

    EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anyone else seen the tells? They fixed a bug which caused them to just about never play. They can be kind of funny.

    And it makes one of Strong Bad's lines hilarious when you realize that they SHOULD have been displaying their tells.

    Enlong on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the only tell I've seen is tycho looking at cards and being overtly giddy with excitement then putting them down and going all in

    Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Would love to see the banter between the Spy and Heavy if they were both at a table. Adding more characters and having them randomized on sitting would be radtacular.

    Chronocide on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    the only tell I've seen is tycho looking at cards and being overtly giddy with excitement then putting them down and going all in

    One really obvious one I've seen is Strongbad bashing his head on the table.

    Enlong on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Poker Night at the Inventory did well enough for a sequel? I think Commander Badass from Manly Men doing Manly Things could be a good edition to the cast (if permission was granted to use him of course).

    If there was a Blackjack version I'd want Sargent Cortez from Timespliters: Future Perfet in it. If only as an excuse for him to say "It's time to split!"

    If we're going down the route of 'characters that could fit the other two spaces,' my votes are squarely for Guybrush Threepwood and Trilby.

    I could see Blizzard getting in on it. Jim Raynor?

    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Razputin. Imagine the dialogue!

    Enlong on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ellis (L4D2)
    Green Knight (Castle Crashers)
    Super Meat Boy (Super Meat Boy)
    Gabe (Penny Arcade) or Joker (Mass Effect)



    sold

    T4CT on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Enlong wrote: »
    Razputin. Imagine the dialogue!

    i would be less than enthusiastic about playing poker against someone with clairvoyance

    Rust on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, I suck. Two nights of playing and I've only won a tournament once, now I'm over 100,000 in the hole.

    Don't ever let me play Hold Em for reals. I'll lose 10 grand and bust out in the first hand, easy.

    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Razputin. Imagine the dialogue!

    i would be less than enthusiastic about playing poker against someone with clairvoyance

    I'm pretty sure Max has psychic powers in Sam & Max season 3. In fact, he sometimes mentions these psychic powers, but notes that he hasn't been using them.

    Peewi on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Am I the only one who thinks Gybrush freakin' Threepwood is such an obvious character to add? :P

    The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The tells are hilariously obvious now they are playing. I'll forgive the unsubtley due to the immense amusement caused when a character pulls a D: face and then tries to bluff raising the bet.

    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For $3 this is a hell of a lot of fun, but Tycho's voice just doesn't seem to fit. His lines are fine, the delivery is fine, but it just doesn't sound like Tycho to me.

    chamberlain on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The tells are hilariously obvious now they are playing. I'll forgive the unsubtley due to the immense amusement caused when a character pulls a D: face and then tries to bluff raising the bet.

    Unfortunately, sometimes they have a good hand when they do that. I tried to push on one of those tells and he had 2 pair off the flop.

    schuss on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Rust wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Razputin. Imagine the dialogue!

    i would be less than enthusiastic about playing poker against someone with clairvoyance

    I'm pretty sure Max has psychic powers in Sam & Max season 3. In fact, he sometimes mentions these psychic powers, but notes that he hasn't been using them.

    But sometimes he'll tell you that he has.

    Is he in your head?

    Enlong on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For $3 this is a hell of a lot of fun, but Tycho's voice just doesn't seem to fit. His lines are fine, the delivery is fine, but it just doesn't sound like Tycho to me.

    Eh, it's really grown on me.

    And I'm guessing that when Max hops up on his chair and does a gleeful fist-pump in the air, he's got a good hand.

    Yeah, they're violently obvious, but no one except Tycho is known for their subtlety.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For $3 this is a hell of a lot of fun, but Tycho's voice just doesn't seem to fit. His lines are fine, the delivery is fine, but it just doesn't sound like Tycho to me.

    Given that people can get very picky over voiceless characters getting a voice, and yours is the first (perfectly justified) negative opinion I've come across, I'd say they've done pretty damn well. I was worried at first but after a few games it sounds perfect to me.

    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For $3 this is a hell of a lot of fun, but Tycho's voice just doesn't seem to fit. His lines are fine, the delivery is fine, but it just doesn't sound like Tycho to me.

    Given that people can get very picky over voiceless characters getting a voice, and yours is the first (perfectly justified) negative opinion I've come across, I'd say they've done pretty damn well. I was worried at first but after a few games it sounds perfect to me.

    Yeah, it's grown on me a lot. I still kinda wish Jerry had done it though.

    Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    For $3 this is a hell of a lot of fun, but Tycho's voice just doesn't seem to fit. His lines are fine, the delivery is fine, but it just doesn't sound like Tycho to me.

    Given that people can get very picky over voiceless characters getting a voice, and yours is the first (perfectly justified) negative opinion I've come across, I'd say they've done pretty damn well. I was worried at first but after a few games it sounds perfect to me.

    Yeah, it's grown on me a lot. I still kinda wish Jerry had done it though.

    He just sounds so ordinary. The other three characters all have established and distinctive voices. Tycho just sounds like a guy who enjoys being an ass and taking your money.

    Which, when I put it that way, is just about right.

    chamberlain on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    For $3 this is a hell of a lot of fun, but Tycho's voice just doesn't seem to fit. His lines are fine, the delivery is fine, but it just doesn't sound like Tycho to me.

    Given that people can get very picky over voiceless characters getting a voice, and yours is the first (perfectly justified) negative opinion I've come across, I'd say they've done pretty damn well. I was worried at first but after a few games it sounds perfect to me.

    Yeah, it's grown on me a lot. I still kinda wish Jerry had done it though.

    He just sounds so ordinary. The other three characters all have established and distinctive voices. Tycho just sounds like a guy who enjoys being an ass and taking your money.

    Which, when I put it that way, is just about right.

    Well, all the other characters had voices from the get go, right? And also, Tycho is the only character who is really not your typical cartoon stereotype-ish character. There's a voice you expect to hear from a rabbit, a huge, burly guy, and a surly Mexican wrestler.

    Tycho is just a guy.

    Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    with a very nice sweater.

    T4CT on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    i'm not sure if i can make myself comfortable with canonical explanation of shoddy AI

    Max openly states in game his unfamiliarity with the game, asking on several occasions questions like what the numbers on the cards mean and shit
    I think he basically described his play style right [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDV5_wIffro#t=6m48s]here[/vidurl].

    Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    next at the inventory game needs to have Commander Shepard from ME2, BLU Soldier, Alyx from HL2 and Mike Thorton from Alpha Protocol

    Buttcleft on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I kinda figured Max talking about the numbers and shit was him pretending to not be good at poker.

    T4CT on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    next at the inventory game needs to have Commander Shepard from ME2, BLU Soldier, Alyx from HL2 and Mike Thorton from Alpha Protocol

    nah

    they wouldn't do shepard because of the whole varied-appearance thing I think....maybe a different character though

    and I still think Ellis or Francis would be a good poker character

    T4CT on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    next at the inventory game needs to have Commander Shepard from ME2, BLU Soldier, Alyx from HL2 and Mike Thorton from Alpha Protocol

    nah

    they wouldn't do shepard because of the whole varied-appearance thing I think....maybe a different character though

    and I still think Ellis or Francis would be a good poker character

    because Shepard totally does not have a default appearance

    oh wait he totally does

    KA-CHPOW
    mass-effect-2-shepard.jpg

    Buttcleft on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    yeah but it's a gross default apperance

    T4CT on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    yeah but it's a gross default apperance

    You are the worst kind of person

    Buttcleft on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    femshep is the obvious solution here

    MrDelish on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Buttcleft would you like to know a secret




    also yes I'd be ok with Femshep

    T4CT on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    Buttcleft would you like to know a secret




    also yes I'd be ok with Femshep

    is the secret that you are a terrible person? cause I know that already.

    Femshep does not have the face of manshep. Femshep is good in ME2, but as an external character I want Manshep

    Buttcleft on
Sign In or Register to comment.