As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Exciting new thread to discuss the exciting new rules!

13»

• NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wonder if we can have a "Thumbs Up" or a "Thumbs down" option for post... obviously you can't thumbs up your own post.. but sometimes there's really some amazing post that stated something so well that you have nothing to add except your own support....or post so horrible that you anomalously want to disagree but do not want to add any fuel to the fire.

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wonder if we can have a "Thumbs Up" or a "Thumbs down" option for post... obviously you can't thumbs up your own post.. but sometimes there's really some amazing post that stated something so well that you have nothing to add except your own support....or post so horrible that you anomalously want to disagree but do not want to add any fuel to the fire.

There's an entire forum dedicated to that.

Esh on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    We can start reporting those grammar infractions? I feel like Thanatos will kill me if I do.

Report them. I don't want to miss anything. Nothing posted prior to the announcement though.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I feel like the tone of relationship advice threads has gotten worse in the past year. I'm not really sure why this is, but I think part of it is people
    esh
    using relationship threads as a D&D style competing philosophy battleground.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Exactly! We can eliminate using a whole section of the forum with that option instead... also with the current system.. we cannot show our displeasure with certain post on the forum. Only positive opinions are noted.

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
    edited August 2010
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I feel like the tone of relationship advice threads has gotten worse in the past year. I'm not really sure why this is, but I think part of it is people
    esh

There is always going to be a level of D&D in H&A threads, that's unavoidable. And since I've been on the site for over 7 years, I seriously doubt that pointing fingers at me over something that you feel has been occurring over the past year is a pretty goosey thing to do (as in I'm not some sort of new kid on the scene who is causing this). I've been around the block quite a few times, and yes, I'm going to end up disagreeing on many points with certain members of this forum with far, far, far less experience than myself.

EDIT: One has to point out where people are being gooses to establish points and prevent people from taking terrible, terrible advice.

Esh on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Exactly! We can eliminate using a whole section of the forum with that option instead... also with the current system.. we cannot show our displeasure with certain post on the forum. Only positive opinions are noted.

You'd have to completely write that into the VB code. Alpha has also said in the past he doesn't like custom mods since they break every time VBulletin updates so if you have a wish for a new feature you'd have to convince these guys to add it to the main build.

DeShadowC on
    edited August 2010
    esh

There is always going to be a level of D&D in H&A threads, that's unavoidable. And since I've been on the site for over 7 years, I seriously doubt that pointing fingers at me over something that you feel has been occurring over the past year is a pretty goosey thing to do (as in I'm not some sort of new kid on the scene who is causing this). I've been around the block quite a few times, and yes, I'm going to end up disagreeing on many points with certain members of this forum with far, far, far less experience than myself.

EDIT: One has to point out where people are being gooses to establish points and prevent people from taking terrible, terrible advice.

But it's not the place. For the most recent example, arguing about whether that guy's email (he wasn't even the OP) was passive aggressive is pointless and just derails the thread. If you think it's bad just say it once and let it go.

I agree with you that it was dumb by the way, but when there is as much argument as advice in a thread then I think we have a problem.

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure you only started posting a lot in relationship threads recently.

DodgeBlan on

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Global post ratings would just make people start posting "I +rep'd you" all the time.

FyreWulff on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    esh

But it's not the place. For the most recent example, arguing about whether that guy's email (he wasn't even the OP) was passive aggressive is pointless and just derails the thread. If you think it's bad just say it once and let it go.

I agree with you that it was dumb by the way, but when there is as much argument as advice in a thread then I think we have a problem.

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure you only started posting a lot in relationship threads recently.

There is not any rule against arguing for or against the advice people give.

Here is the important part from the rules sticky:
    Other ways to get in trouble while replying to a thread:

Criticizing someone else's advice without providing any reasoning or alternate advice.
    Flaming someone else who's trying to give advice.
    Not reading the first fucking post--and at least scanning some of the replies--before giving advice.

IE: Arguing against someone's advice is very much allowed so long as it is done with reasoning or alternate advice.

This is as it should be. I strongly disagree with anyone wanting to disallow "arguing" or "D&D". The current rules are more than adequate in that respect.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited August 2010
    esh

That's not derailing the thread, that's giving advice/help as to why to not follow that course of action. People often (especially on these forums) need things spelled out.

Esh on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    I sorta agree with dodge on some of this, because when you're an OP, once points start being addressed to other posters and not really towards you and your overall issue, it really muddies whats advice and whats arguing semantics. I understand mentioning that you think some advice is bad and why. Sometimes arguments turn to hypothetical details just to prove other posters might be wrong in hypothetical situations.

I think posters should really strive to leave the D&D out of it. If you need to know some random detail that changes everything, ask, rather than making grand arguments like "We don't know X, so I can make these 6 other points to argue why I might be right and you might be wrong."

Iruka on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like Esh's advice because it's very well-presented and it offers a reasonable metric:

If a bunch of people disagree with Esh and a big argument breaks out, the best advice is probably somewhere in between what Esh is saying and what everyone else is saying.

If a bunch of people agree with Esh but the OP disagrees, the OP is completely fucked up and will never listen to what anyone is saying anyways.

To put it another way, Esh's advice is very often the most correct, but less often the most useful.

admanb on
    edited August 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    I sorta agree with dodge on some of this, because when you're an OP, once points start being addressed to other posters and not really towards you and your overall issue, it really muddies whats advice and whats arguing semantics. I understand mentioning that you think some advice is bad and why. Sometimes arguments turn to hypothetical details just to prove other posters might be wrong in hypothetical situations.

I think posters should really strive to leave the D&D out of it. If you need to know some random detail that changes everything, ask, rather than making grand arguments like "We don't know X, so I can make these 6 other points to argue why I might be right and you might be wrong."

They're not being addressed at other posters, rather their points which directly concern the OP. The level of modding that would need to be done at the level you think is appropriate would be enormous.

D&D is an extremely important part of any sort of learning experience, which is exactly what H&A strives to be. If you want to cut the D&D out, you're effectively cutting the balls off of any advice given.

Esh on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For what it's worth, and assuming input is still being solicited, I feel that giving people infractions for remarkably common grammar mistakes is off putting in the extreme, and is perhaps the close to the height of obnoxious internet nerdery.

Just my two cents.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited August 2010
    The thing with arguing in relationship threads is sticky. The positions are often not clearly right or wrong and it's often hard to define when it's necessary to step in. And I don't think you can lay the blame squarely at any one persons feet. The message that more attention needs to be paid to relationship threads has been received, however and it's something I plan to do.

Pheezer on
    edited August 2010
    For what it's worth, and assuming input is still being solicited, I feel that giving people infractions for remarkably common grammar mistakes is off putting in the extreme, and is perhaps the close to the height of obnoxious internet nerdery.

Just my two cents.

It's just an easy way to purge the board of Philistines.

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    Pheezer wrote: »
    The thing with arguing in relationship threads is sticky. The positions are often not clearly right or wrong and it's often hard to define when it's necessary to step in. And I don't think you can lay the blame squarely at any one persons feet. The message that more attention needs to be paid to relationship threads has been received, however and it's something I plan to do.

Yeah I know it is sticky but I just think Opinion Kombat should be discouraged. some debate is necessary, but ultimately it is up to the OP to decide which advice is bad and which advice is good.

DodgeBlan on

edited August 2010
    I'm not saying that all argument should be banned or something. Last time I had a large H/A thread I had to be way more explicit and repeat details I had already posted, just to stop this separate argument on advice that was really, clearly, besides the point. Its really easy to get caught in a loop of wanting to be right, and I think that some posters should self moderate their urges to beat points into to ground.

I don't have an illusion that argument will go away, or that the mods should have to police everyone to play nice. But I don't think beating other peoples advice into submission should be par the course, or people will be just as reluctant to post advice as they are to ask for it.

Iruka on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Just my two cents.

I presume you're being glib, but making such an extremely common grammar mistake does not a Philistine make.

It just smacks of unfounded and completely unnecessary elitism.

firewaterword on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yeah I know it is sticky but I just think Opinion Kombat should be discouraged. some debate is necessary, but ultimately it is up to the OP to decide which advice is bad and which advice is good.

No, it's up to the OP to decide what they want to do. Very often this has very little relation to what advice was bad or good or indeed what course of action is wise.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    esh

But see, the things is, I totally agree with Esh on his point (that particular point only, I believe) in that thread. It *was* a valid point, and the OP should be wary of alternate interpretations of an email he may or may not actually consider sending. The proposed email was extremely passive-aggressive. In the end it's always up to the OP to choose what advice they want to take, but the about half the point of making an H/A thread is to gather perspective, even on a proposed course of action. The extent to which that perspective gets garbled by argument is very case-by-case, and you don't want to limit useful disagreement by saying "no dissenting opinion on advice may be expressed within a thread".

Esh and I don't see eye-to-eye on really most things. When someone makes ME have to agree with Esh it accomplishes two things: 1) it shows that the point is fairly reasonable as stated by people with two very different views on things and 2) it pisses me off.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can we add incorrect usage of loose and lose to the list? I'm amazed at how many people loose a game.

Pellaeon on
    edited August 2010
    ceres wrote: »
    esh

But see, the things is, I totally agree with Esh on his point (that particular point only, I believe) in that thread. It *was* a valid point, and the OP should be wary of alternate interpretations of an email he may or may not actually consider sending. The proposed email was extremely passive-aggressive. In the end it's always up to the OP to choose what advice they want to take, but the about half the point of making an H/A thread is to gather perspective, even on a proposed course of action. The extent to which that perspective gets garbled by argument is very case-by-case, and you don't want to limit useful disagreement by saying "no dissenting opinion on advice may be expressed within a thread".

Esh and I don't see eye-to-eye on really most things. When someone makes ME have to agree with Esh it accomplishes two things: 1) it shows that the point is fairly reasonable as stated by people with two very different views on things and 2) it pisses me off.

!!!*hugs*!!!

Esh on
    edited August 2010

Just my two cents.

I presume you're being glib, but making such an extremely common grammar mistake does not a Philistine make.

It just smacks of unfounded and completely unnecessary elitism.

Yes. It is unreasonable to expect people to type what they mean. I mean, it's not like it's a text based medium where one can easily review what they've said before anyone else sees it. And clearly, it would be unfair to demand someone to know the difference between "your" and "you're" when they're only telling someone else how to live.

Sorry, but it's not difficult or unreasonable.

Pheezer on
    edited August 2010
    I realize that my point should be retracted because I really dont care about relationship threads. But I do think that that spirit of argument gets passed to threads that don't need it for the OP to know whats going on. I'm thinking of my thread about math where I had to really clearly repeat the points that I made in the OP, and point out the impossibility for me going to the doctor for a small issue. This was after a good page of derailment to defend this one point. It was combo "I'm right that none of you are helping anything" and "I didn't think to just ask the OP if treatment was something that was feasible before arguing for 4 or 5 posts."

It was a lot more objective than the points Esh makes that other thread.

Iruka on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ceres wrote: »
    In the end it's always up to the OP to choose what advice they want to take, but the about half the point of making an H/A thread is to gather perspective, even on a proposed course of action. The extent to which that perspective gets garbled by argument is very case-by-case, and you don't want to limit useful disagreement by saying "no dissenting opinion on advice may be expressed within a thread".

Agreed.

I've seen people give absolutely horrible advice in threads before, where disagreement was so important I'd even suggest it was essential.

In one extreme case, some idiot seriously suggested that the OP mix ammonia and bleach for a cleaning solution. Obviously not every case is going to potentially put the health and well-being of the OP in jeopardy...but because there is no "horrible advice" filter on this forum, we have to leave it to the masses to correct and/or disagree with the horrible advice when it does surface. Even if the advice isn't horrible, I think it's entirely reasonable that people post their opposing views (and try to defend them), if they genuinely believe theirs is the better or "more correct" one, and will benefit the OP moreso than the advice others are suggesting.

NightDragon on
    edited August 2010

What's that?

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    Hey guys, don't worry about the new rules after all. Tube's decided that they were stupid, so he deleted them.

Pheezer on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aww. :C

NightDragon on
    edited August 2010
    Yes. But don't worry, the global rules regarding the use of the terms rimshot and silly goose will stay in effect and will be enforced.

Pheezer on
    edited August 2010
    Yes. But don't worry, the global rules regarding the use of the terms rimshot and silly goose will stay in effect and will be enforced.

Rimshot? What?

EDIT: That's too bad though, the video embedding one was pretty spot on.

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    Anyone who uses the term rimshot in its colloquial rather than the technically correct manner receives an infraction.

Pheezer on
    edited August 2010

What's that?

I'm saying that I was arguing about where people were very clearly giving advice that I couldn't use, and wasn't asking for. But that isn't really what you are arguing about, so I'm not sure my point is valid. I hadn't read that post in the relationship thread. I generally don't post in relationship threads, where there are more grey areas and reasons to argue.

Iruka on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I, for one, will miss the short lived grammar rules.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    Okay, but CAN we keep the video one? That shit is annoying.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    edited August 2010
    Anyone who uses the term rimshot in its colloquial rather than the technically correct manner receives an infraction.

Should I even ask what the colloquial meaning is?

Esh on
    edited August 2010
    Yes. It is unreasonable to expect people to type what they mean. I mean, it's not like it's a text based medium where one can easily review what they've said before anyone else sees it. And clearly, it would be unfair to demand someone to know the difference between "your" and "you're" when they're only telling someone else how to live.

Sorry, but it's not difficult or unreasonable.

Reading this, I suppose that the focus of these new and exciting rules likely falls more upon those replying to issues raised by posters than those seeking advice. And your snark aside, I can see where you're coming from. When I visit this forum, it is almost always for the more objective topics - "how do I change my oil?" "where are neat places to visit in city [x]" "how do I make this software program do [y]?" In fact, the generally sterling quality of such advice on this forum is what spurred me to register in the first place.

The more personal threads are not my cup of tea, so I think I probably miss most, if not the vast majority of the friction and arguments that occur around here.

That said, it would be disheartening for someone new to the forums to catch heat from a descending horde of rabid grammarians for mistaking your and you're. I realize that posting entails having read the rules, and hope that your campaign will educate more people than it alienates.

*Never mind I suppose!

firewaterword on
    edited August 2010
    Wait.

Did he kill the youtube rule too? Damn, I guess no non-annoying music thread for me.

Iruka on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really? I'd love to see some spelling rules... I mean...

Screenshot2010-08-30at93504PM.png

I mean... come on

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
This discussion has been closed.