- What is this? World of Darkness Online is a MMORPG based in the World of Darkness universe originally created by White Wolf Studios. Mostly known for the table top Vampire series, which went on to make two video games, and a short TV series.
- Who is CCP? CCP Games is a developing company who specializes in the MMO category. They are mostly known for their PC game EVE Online, where the player controls a spacecraft and travels around the literal unlimited bounds of space doing missions, creating fleets, and hunting space pirates. In 2006, CCP bought White Wolf Studios in hopes of expanding to the table top genre, as well as gaining rights to produce World Of Darkness online.
- What do you play as? Vampires only. The general idea is that you play as a human and get turned into a vampire. However it is suggested that you can stay as a human and become a ghoul or a hunter.
- Are there any other WoD based video games? Two actually.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDVBIycJjaEVampire - Redemption was the first of the two and offers similar RPG gameplay to Diablo. It's a bit dated but it's still worth a look to interested fans. I haven't played it much so there's not much I can say about it, however I heard from friends who have beaten the game that it was a lot of fun at the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL90iPahGkoThe second of which was Vampire - Bloodlines. A game developed by Troika based on early versions of the source engine. The game was more of a solo RPG rather than a party system like the previous game and had very dramatic and Gothic overtones for the time. You play as a newly turned and unscheduled vampire who must prove themselves to the local prince. The player is tossed through various missions and objectives to get to the end of the storyline. The game features heavy RPG elements, a third/first person perspective, and an interactive story that changes based on the users choices in the game. Though being critically acclaimed for it's time, it suffers from several bugs and glitches from Troika's programming. An unofficial fan-based patch has been running since release and is still being developed today which features numerous bug fixes, as well as an optional +plus setting which gives the game additional content including new classes, quests and items. To me, Bloodlines is a cult classic.
What we know
Large list of information posted from planet-vampire.com in the 'latest news' section. Thanks again His Corkiness for the post.
The leaked video from the grand masquerade convention. It's a CGI demo that was thrown together to show concept art and the general themes of the MMO.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf26ZhHz6uM
An nVidia APEX physics demonstration of hair and clothing for CCP Games. No where on the video does it label it as WoD video, however no other CCP product known uses that kind of clothing and structure. It also fits the atmosphere for WoD and is speculated as such.
- Here's a list of information that was given out during the grand masquerade courtesy of planet-vampire.com (thanks his royal corkiness)
-A CCP source told him they are very near the end of pre-production and is beginning full-blown production. They in fact have a PLAYABLE version of the game, although it is so rudimentary that it is not worth the effort of demoing.
- due to a licensing issues between CCP and Wizards of the Coast, they are going to be discontinuing the Vampire: the Eternal struggle collective card game. They said that the fans could however, keep the game alive, by loyally continuing to play.
- Lone Wolf Development has been outsourced work from CCP to start generating a suite of tools to make only RP and ST easier for players that choose that venue.
- They have also hired DriveThruRPG.com to provide a 'print-to-order' service for their ENTIRE backlog of White Wolf books and resources. That means that all the Masquerade books should be easily available again. Also, to clarify, 'print-to-order' means that when you order the book, the distributor prints up a fresh copy specifically for you, and mails it to you.
Direct MMO Stuff:
- the game has been in development for approximately 3 years.
- This has been slowed by keeping up with EVE
- Preparing to develop 'Carbon technology' framework for what should provide state-of-the-art character customizations, unlike any seen in any game before, for the MMO.
- They are particularly psyched about the customization framework. They claim they have in fact, hired a fashion consultant, to help make the system more realistic and stylish.
- Another 1.5 years has been spent preparing the actual gameplay
- They have increased their staff by 6 times the previous head count
- They've put 629K man-hours into this MMO -- so far.
Regarding Coffee House, Sandbox and Themeparks that we've discussed on the forum, Burgermeister writes; "From what they said, these three spheres should be closely tied and interconnected together, essentially running the economy of blood in the game. "
The four overall themes they intended to have in the game are:
"For concrete facts, we learned that the game will be ready, by earliest, 2012. The game will be based on Vampire: the Masquerade. Specifically, in the initial release of the game, there will only be vampires as supernatural, playable characters. There will however, be elements from Werewolf, Changling, etc., likely in the form of environmental content, and NPCs."
-One of their criterias for success is to make the game as accessible as possible. Specifically they want to get women involved in the game, as well as casual players. Also, they want to maximize the amount of human interaction that happens in the game.
-They confirmed that the game will not be combat intensive (unless you choose as such). Knowing, influencing the correct people is arguable more important than being the biggest brawler.
-They will not be catering to immaturity in the game, however, they would like to see these types of offenses policed by players, rather than in-game mechanics.
"I personally offered up one of the board's suggestions of Permanent Death as a solution to controlling an otherwise glut of Kindred population within any one area. This was one of the suggestions that got applause from the audience. I also couldn't help but notice two of the content developers smirking -- I think permanent death is a serious possibility in the MMO. A lot of other fans made the same or similar suggestions. This remark also drew out a comment from the panel, suggesting that the game world would consist of one server rather than multiple servers, after someone else suggested that some servers offer this permanent death option while others did not. (His response "Servers? What servers?") " :chinscratch:
-They confirmed that factions and territories will almost certainly be a big part of the game.
-They confirmed that the game will definitely contains gay clubs. This is an excellent angle to cater to the gay and lesbian audience.
-They again, did confirm, that starting off there would only be Vampires, but one of the other developers also confirmed that there would be playable human classes -- although nothing specific. I only can assume he means the likes of ghouls and hunters.
-The game will be fully PvP, i.e. there may be Elysium areas, but nothing like the flagging system, as seen in PvE WoW servers.
"That is everything that I learned from that particular panel. Afterwords, I had some time with one of the developers, and managed to ring a few more details out of him:
He is supposedly working on something called 'story arcs'. He immediately realized he had probably already said too much, so you'll have to use your imagination to determine what that would mean in the game.
He also stated that in regards to the development cycles, some disciplines simply will not be included because they are way too complicate to implement well -- specifically, Temporis."
- Rumors started popping up from a recent interview with one of the white wolf/CCP developers that this upcoming White Wolf convention (www.thegrandmasquerade.com
) is not something WoD fans would want to miss. There are quotes from said interview across the web (1up, massively, mmorpg) that the game will be revealed in full at the convention at sundown of Friday that weekend. However we won't know if these rumors will be true until the masquerade date(Sept 23-26). The website for the convention features a nice big shot of a masquerade mask with several tag lines to the right. The tag lines list several achievements of the World of Darkness series, mostly from the Vampire series, with the last line saying "Darkness Revealed
". Here's a link to said interview
I hope I can be forgiven for the poorly formatted OP as this is my first one. Also for the lack of information at this time, as there is none. I just made this thread to try and create some hype to the WoD MMO and to maybe have a few conversations on the tabletop series by White Wolf. Rest assured as time goes on I'll do my best to update the OP with new information and media.