As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World of Darkness] Paradox buys White Wolf - Maybe not dead

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    So the "big news" is that this game has been in development for sometime, and like any other game, some details discussed in the early days have been removed as the focus on what makes it into the finished game sharpens.

Did I miss something specific/not assumed by we the fans?

• Options
    TheShiiTheShii Orlando, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'd assume Gangrel will stay independent. That's what they're most known for at this point. Most that hold allegiance to a faction go towards the Camarilla anyway. It's in their best interests to keep the Masquerade going.

By the by, the clan novels say why they broke away. A neonate wielding a Gehenna artifact laid waste to an entire coterie of Gangrel, including the Justicar. The Council basically laughed at him and said the Sabbat war was more important. Xaviar left, and took most of the Gangrel with him.

I would hope so. The ones that go elsewhere besides independent or cammie tend to be antitribu if they did.
    Would 'love' to see all 13 clans, but there's just a lot working against it. I feel it would be bad marketing technique to release them all. Minus the fact that a few of them are primarily more sabbat/anarch or independent steered. So that'd give them more to market later on.

My money is on them just having cammie's first. They did say there would eventually possibly be expansions for wolves and other supernatural pieces of WoD, so fingers crossed that means they'll give us the other factions for kindred as well!
    Especially when in the latest fanfest, someone had asked if something was sabbat run that meant the city would have grimier textures and more rundown looking environment as opposed to cammie run territories. They had verified that they would 'like' to do it, but tended to be the first lil thing to go during crunch. So that wasn't a definite yes or no if we'll be getting the other factions at all or sooner than later :D but i'm excited!

TheShii on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I really doubt they'll have Sabbat as PCs in the first revision. This game's ambitious enough as it is just managing the Camarilla.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I'd much rather they just focus on the cam clans, don't bother with other supernaturals at all, flesh out additional clans/sabbat/anything else later.

• Options
    Harlequin ShadowlandsHarlequin Shadowlands Registered User regular
    Koopah thank you.

Tube, please point out where I was 'berating' anyone? I politely asked he adhere to the law. Two, it was not a "excerpt" (which I wouldn't have a issue with) it was the ENTIRE article, that goes beyond fair use. It is my legal right as an original work owned by me to ask him to do. If you are going to play admin may want to make sure you know what you are doing and the legal aspects of such. Because frankly you don't sound very well informed on the matter. Third, I posted as a favor to those in this thread, sharing links/info is how the web works. *shurgs*

Back on topic, in V20 (VtM 20th anniversary edition )gangral are part of the cam again and V20 is what they are basing the MMO off of. Infact at TGM 2011 they stated out right the 7 cam clans would be playable.

Sabbat playable on release has been off the table for some time as well.

-Harlequin
    Admin of World of Darkness News
    News, Community site for the WoD MMORPG
  • Options
    JohnggernautJohnggernaut Registered User new member
    I'd much rather they just focus on the cam clans, don't bother with other supernaturals at all, flesh out additional clans/sabbat/anything else later.

Would make for good expansions, I'd imagine.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2013
    Koopah thank you.

Tube, please point out where I was 'berating' anyone? I politely asked he adhere to the law. Two, it was not a "excerpt" (which I wouldn't have a issue with) it was the ENTIRE article, that goes beyond fair use. It is my legal right as an original work owned by me to ask him to do. If you are going to play admin may want to make sure you know what you are doing and the legal aspects of such. Because frankly you don't sound very well informed on the matter. Third, I posted as a favor to those in this thread, sharing links/info is how the web works. *shurgs*

I wasn't asking for your opinion on the matter, I was telling you that you were no longer going to be either whoring your links out or acting like an obnoxious shit in this thread. If you want to try and sue us over your adorable opinion of what copright entitles you to, good luck with that. I can assure you that the biggest barrier to people posting any relevant news from your site is that your site doesn't contain any.

geth, kick @harlequin shadowlands out of the thread.

Tube on
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. @Harlequin Shadowlands banned from this thread.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Geth is such a baller.

Anyways, yeah no "news" as it seems. Game is still being developed so obviously things would change from earlier presentations. That's why I don't understand not publishing that video that was shown at Grand Masquerade. Maybe they're trying to hold out the hype train until they're closer to release, but still... kinda stupid.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I really doubt they'll have Sabbat as PCs in the first revision. This game's ambitious enough as it is just managing the Camarilla.

As do I, I put money (albeit, fake xD) on it.

as a completely off topic note... koopah... damn your avatar. I've been stuck watching it for about 10 minutes now. it's hypnotic...

TheShii on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    TheShii wrote: »
    as a completely off topic note... koopah... damn your avatar. I've been stuck watching it for about 10 minutes now. it's hypnotic...

It's so good, isn't it? Works in so many different situations. Like the Mega Man SSB reveal, every Game of Thrones episode, the price of apples at the local Super Fresh... everything!

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    As always, the biggest video game barrier to implementing the Sabbat is Vicissitude. I can't even begin to figure out how you can accurately incorporate it without majorly dumbing down its flexibility.

• Options
    Lorek wrote: »
    As always, the biggest video game barrier to implementing the Sabbat is Vicissitude. I can't even begin to figure out how you can accurately incorporate it without majorly dumbing down its flexibility.

Vicissitude is one discipline. Not hard to remove it/alter it to fit the game.

Making the sabbat work in the game without attracting griefers/weirdos...weirderos/etc is the trick. Also, the additional content and work required is fairly hefty (probably, I'm just guessing).

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I thought part of the whole sabbat thing was griefing?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    I thought part of the whole sabbat thing was griefing?

I guess. I never really got into the whole Sabbat thing, they never felt fully formed, just npc villians fleshed out to sell a few more books.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I'd make it so you can use Vicissitude as an offensive discipline. Basic levels let you make your body into weapons, advanced the environment, master? Warform.

And the Sabbat CAN be very fleshed out, depending on the ST. You can either have them as raving warmongers or devout pack priests who are out to save everyone from the Antediluvians(though how they plan on doing that is anyone's guess).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    they never felt fully formed, just npc villians fleshed out
    Vicissitude

Heh.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    they never felt fully formed, just npc villians fleshed out
    Vicissitude

Heh.

*Looks in the mirror*

I brought this on myself.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I don't see what good looking in the mirror will do here, Caveman.
    PBF169-The_Other_Girls.jpg

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    The eternal plight of the Lasombra debutante.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    It's so good, isn't it? Works in so many different situations. Like the Mega Man SSB reveal, every Game of Thrones episode, the price of apples at the local Super Fresh... everything!

It is! *gets caught in the web again*

as far as using vicc.. I've joked that it could be used like how players buy vanity cards to change how their character looks. but vicc gets you unlimited free vanity cards if the levels high enough xD *cracks up* course that's just the silly side of it. but hey, if Temporis is one that's off the table for obvious reasons (though it could be tweaked too if need be) then I'm sure vicc could too. I do doubt they'll have it available if the Tzi are playable however... despite that being one of their identifying disciplines :/

• Options
    KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    Vicissitude has some fairly solid mechanics behind it in V20. Nothing outrageous required.

Dominate, however. That is the discipline which ruins plots if you use it vaguely sensibly.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    *shakes fist at LeCroix*

TheShii on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    TheShii wrote: »
    *shakes fist at LeCroix*
    Downtown3053.jpg
    *Mini boss music*

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about this for a while. Why doesn't other zombie media like World of Darkness use the full leather biker getup with helmet like in Blade? That to me sounds like it would solve a decent amount of problems of going out in the sun.

• Options
    It wouldn't work in the WoD. The weakness isn't scientific, it's magical. Apart from anything else, they slip into a coma during daylight hours. The aversion to the sun isn't "aah it burns ow ooh ow" it's immediately catching light and dying in seconds.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Of course if you are lucky/unlucky you can resist the coma bit which means you could be aware and feeling yourself near instantly burn to a pile of ashes.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    To be fair, there's enough time for you to frenzy so you could go on a mad tear looking for shelter for a few seconds before you burn.

• Options
    It's an unwritten rule that whatever you think of to allow your vampire to operate during the day doesn't work. Spell? Fails. Full bodysuit? Wasn't enough. Artefact? Fake.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    One guy did it in the novels, but he was somewhere around 4th gen.

• Options
    OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    It's an unwritten rule that whatever you think of to allow your vampire to operate during the day doesn't work. Spell? Fails. Full bodysuit? Wasn't enough. Artefact? Fake.

Thank Cain for this too, because there are far too many end arounds of this in media as it is. Once vampires start going out in the day using lame loopholes the author thought up they lose a huge chunk of what makes them supernatural creatures of darkness and evil as a concept in the first place and just become a really tough guy looking silly with a bad sunburn/poncho/sparkles/whatevs.

If a quart of SPF 100 or magical geegaw is stronger than a primeval contract between man and Evil, then that's a mythology I don't find interesting at all.

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Otaking wrote: »

Thank Cain for this too, because there are far too many end arounds of this in media as it is. Once vampires start going out in the day using lame loopholes the author thought up they lose a huge chunk of what makes them supernatural creatures of darkness and evil as a concept in the first place and just become a really tough guy looking silly with a bad sunburn/poncho/sparkles/whatevs.

If a quart of SPF 100 or magical geegaw is stronger than a primeval contract between man and Evil, then that's a mythology I don't find interesting at all.

In the WoD, having a high enough fortitude would allow a vampire to briefly walk in sunlight.... Although vampires with that level are few and far between.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    So I should max fortitude when this comes out. Gotcha.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Nah. I think I read that there would be no day in the game.

• Options
    Comahawk wrote: »
    Otaking wrote: »

In the WoD, having a high enough fortitude would allow a vampire to briefly walk in sunlight.... Although vampires with that level are few and far between.

Even with Fortitude 5 you're talking minutes. So, NPC territory.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    So which wod setting is this game occupying, the classic with my fav malks or the new which makes for an easier sandbox but not particularly compelling from a story standpoint?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really would like the game to have a day and to punish those who foolishly go out during the day

• Options
    Acharenus wrote: »
    So which wod setting is this game occupying, the classic with my fav malks or the new which makes for an easier sandbox but not particularly compelling from a story standpoint?

The former, though they haven't said much about it besides that it's Masquerade and no Sabbat. Not even sure how far back they're going, whether or not Gangrel are independent.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Plus, even if you pump fort to survive momentary exposure to the sun, it still does aggravated damage.

DON'T DO IT! YOU HAVE A REASON TO (UN)LIVE!

• Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Acharenus wrote: »

The former, though they haven't said much about it besides that it's Masquerade and no Sabbat. Not even sure how far back they're going, whether or not Gangrel are independent.

I didn't think I was that big of a fan of wod but that came as massive relief, the new wod makes for a fine localized sandbox setting...but there's so much more to the classic not the least of which is the fleshed out clans and vampiric lineage that I found so interesting

Acharenus on