As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Darkness] Paradox buys White Wolf - Maybe not dead

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait. WHAT?

WW has explicitly said V:TM is done on many, many occasions.

The hell?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Wait. WHAT?

WW has explicitly said V:TM is done on many, many occasions.

The hell?

Yeah maybe CCP had the final decision on what to do. I'm still looking forward to it, I'm just disappointed at a) there's only vampires, b) it's being released in 2012 at the earliest, and c) I have to look at twitter for information on the damned event. Seriously, get a live feed. What the fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Wsf31WIdY

First CGI trailer video!

KoopahTroopah on
  • ReptarReptar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This kind of feels like a step back to me, you know? How will this help them sell any of their new World of Darkness books?

Reptar on
    Or are you waking up?
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Are you sure this isn't Requiem? I didn't see anything that said Masquerade to me.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Reptar wrote: »
    This kind of feels like a step back to me, you know? How will this help them sell any of their new World of Darkness books?

Agreed. It's like saying, "don't buy requiem because it's obviously bad. Look even the new game's rules are from V:tM"
    Are you sure this isn't Requiem? I didn't see anything that said Masquerade to me

Tons of twitter accounts at the masquerade are tweeting that it's based on old world of darkness, not requiem. They must of mentioned it during the announcement.

KoopahTroopah on
    edited September 2010
    Well, Masquerade had the better universe, I don't think anyone would argue that.

I'm still surprised they're willing to bring it back.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    Well, Masquerade had the better universe, I don't think anyone would argue that.

I'm still surprised they're willing to bring it back.

I only played requiem once, every other time I played masquerade. So I dunno maybe they realized it was more popular and decided this would get the most attention.

Still on the lookout for clan information, diablorie info, PvP, and any other general information. Everyone seems to be tweeting the same shit over and over again.

Newish tweet - "WoDO going to focus on mystery, power, romance, danger. Three types of play: sandbox, theme park, coffee shop"

KoopahTroopah on
    edited September 2010
    This could either turn out amazing or one extremely creepy circle jerk of gothics.

There's no in between.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    This could either turn out amazing or one extremely creepy circle jerk of gothics.

There's no in between.

Yeaaaup. And on that note, I'm gonna shower, and go get wasted. Yay college.

KoopahTroopah on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just see a cinematic trailer. wake me up when there's gameplay info

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They should just turn that graphics demo into the game. Everyone is a [strike]vampire[/strike] supermodel and the gameplay consists of deciding what to wear before you hit the runway and walk around doing hairflips for a while before your wardrobe change.

Regina Fong on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nono, wow already has the fashion wardrobe mmo market cornered

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited September 2010
    Also, no werewolves means no furries. Which is super.

Regina Fong on
    edited September 2010
    We'll just have to deal with swarms of Twilights and goths instead.

I'm okay with one of the two.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So 2012 at the earliest, no Mages at launch, oWoD setting. Bravo, CCP, really, top form.

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

edited September 2010
    WoD mages won't work well in a video game anyway.

Regina Fong on
  • Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No Wolves? No Me.

The only reason I could see subbing to this would be to trash the Twilight crowd who will be completely surprised when they don't sparkle in sunlight.

I guess they had to start with one and make expansions. It makes sense, and Vampire was always the most popular setting. Still, I'm disappointed that I won't be rolling out a Silent Strider any time soon.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

edited September 2010
    WoD mages won't work well in a video game anyway.

There's always Tremere.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I would! I'd say it has a shit universe that can be made decent if the Storyteller takes a butchers knife to it.

Also the mechanics are awful. Awful
    No Wolves? No Me.

The only reason I could see subbing to this would be to trash the Twilight crowd who will be completely surprised when they don't sparkle in sunlight.

I guess they had to start with one and make expansions. It makes sense, and Vampire was always the most popular setting. Still, I'm disappointed that I won't be rolling out a Silent Strider any time soon.

Did you ever, for a moment, seriously think that this game was going to be filled with a significant amount of Twilight fans? That trolling Twilight fans and bro-fisting would be a "thing"?

The overlap between Twilight fans and MMORPG fans is miniscule. You were deluding yourself from the word go.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited September 2010
    If i were to play this it would be to reverse troll.

I'd write an extensive bio about being a sparkly vampire with [roleplay] notes stating that my character can definitely go out in the sun and such.

Regina Fong on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Seems odd to call it WoD if it is just vampires... Maybe they are doing the rest in expansions?

Can't wait to hear what the devs say.

Comahawk on
    edited September 2010
    Honestly the only other thing I care about other than Vampires would be Changelings.

Except OWoD Changeling is vastly inferior to NWoD Changeling. Blagh.

Fiaryn on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Honestly the only other thing I care about other than Vampires would be Changelings.

Except OWoD Changeling is vastly inferior to NWoD Changeling. Blagh.

I was a Werewolf player mainly. Changeling was fucking broken as all hell system wise, Mage was fun but difficult to play and Vampire STs/players tended to be just a little too into the RP.

Comahawk on
    edited September 2010
    All OWoD is pretty fucking broken.

Changeling lacks drive, has vague hooks, and when your character type wide primary antagonist is "boredom" you're doing something wrong. NWoD Changeling is superior.

Also the Sabbat is where it's at SWORD OF CAINE HELL YEAH!

Fiaryn on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    2012? Fuck.Off.
    Owod focus = I personally would prefere Nwod focus but understand that the bulk of WW's target audience for this game will be happy with the old so I'll get over it. Not looking forward to the hundreds of "XxXCaineXxX" names we'll see but thats unavoidable regardless of new/old wod.
    I'm fine with vampire only. Though if it's owod I would kill for some Silver Fang werewolf action.
    The trailer (thanks for posting it and all other info btw KhoopahTroopah) looks good, enjoed the "vibe" it gave off but know better than to expect it to indicate accurately the final product.

If nothing else I hope we get more regular updates about the game now. If they go quiet for a year I will not be impressed. /angsty happy face

Caveman Paws on
    edited September 2010
    I can't begin to fathom how they could make reasonable mechanics from OW Mage.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    2012? Fuck.Off.
    Owod focus = I personally would prefere Nwod focus but understand that the bulk of WW's target audience for this game will be happy with the old so I'll get over it. Not looking forward to the hundreds of "XxXCaineXxX" names we'll see but thats unavoidable regardless of new/old wod.
    I'm fine with vampire only. Though if it's owod I would kill for some Silver Fang werewolf action.
    The trailer (thanks for posting it and all other info btw KhoopahTroopah) looks good, enjoed the "vibe" it gave off but know better than to expect it to indicate accurately the final product.

If nothing else I hope we get more regular updates about the game now. If they go quiet for a year I will not be impressed. /angsty happy face

That's what I'm afraid of. If they go quiet again, when's the next time we'll get information. I know there are a couple booths tomorrow which will answer a couple to a few questions, but I think there are so many questions right now, they just keep piling and piling up.

I'm seriously fine with vampire only, because I was gonna roll a toreador anyway, however 2012, I am not fine with. You've been working on this game for 3-4 years in the dark. Are you fucking kidding me? There has to be something more to show to the public than a generic CGI trailer. Maybe I'm just drunk and don't have the physics to search google for a gameplay trailer right now. But I was expecting more, they've been working on this game from 2006, and we've gotten barely nothing. I haven't lost confidence that the game will be good, I just expected more to have happened in the amount of time that has elapsed.

KoopahTroopah on
  • ReptarReptar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't begin to fathom how they could make reasonable mechanics from OW Mage.

There isn't a great deal of difference between the magic systems used by Ascension and Awakening. Awakening just came with a lot more premade spells.

Reptar on
    Or are you waking up?
    edited September 2010
    Ascension looked a lot more complex, from what I've seen of it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010
    Well, let's look at this positively: if it really will be heavy on politics and based on Masquerade, this could be great. Sabbat, Camarilla, and Anarchs vying for territory.

Considering that, it makes perfect sense to set it in Masquerade's universe.

In a dream world, they'd just use the Bloodlines hub. Santa Monica, Hollywood, Los Angeles, etc.

But like that'd happen.

Also, from GAF:
    My dream game is a Mage: The Ascension RPG in which creating an exceptionally vulgar paradox causes your xbox to red ring in real life.

:lol:

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OWoD?

HELL YES.

Going to have to try this when it comes out, most certainly.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm seriously fine with vampire only, because I was gonna roll a toreador anyway, however 2012, I am not fine with. You've been working on this game for 3-4 years in the dark. Are you fucking kidding me? There has to be something more to show to the public than a generic CGI trailer. Maybe I'm just drunk and don't have the physics to search google for a gameplay trailer right now. But I was expecting more, they've been working on this game from 2006, and we've gotten barely nothing. I haven't lost confidence that the game will be good, I just expected more to have happened in the amount of time that has elapsed.

Considering that the "trailer" (which apparently they weren't even intendeing on releasing to the public, despite having a big fucking countdown on their website, though it explains the lack of a live feed) really consisted of little more than concept art spliced together with fancy editing, I'm willing to bet they've only seriously started working on this relatively recently.

In fact, if I really wanted to stick my neck out there, I'd say they only seriously started working on it once they realized that the past several years of feature creep in EVE Online have made it impossible to reduce lag back to Need For Speed levels and that the main attraction of their main cash cow isn't long for this world.

EDIT: Unless they're holding off the really impressive stuff for one of the major gaming tradeshows, and this was just a little spoiler for the "true fans". I am warming to this considerably less tinfoil interpretation.

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My only experience with WoD is the Bloodlines game. So OWoD dosn't faze me.

I'm going to Toreador like a Boss.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My only experience with WoD is the Bloodlines game. So OWoD dosn't faze me.

I'm going to Toreador like a Boss.

Bloodlines was great and any shout outs to it (even easter eggs) would be most welcome.

Having thought it over I am warming to the old vampire setting idea. Sadly, for all the wrong reasons. Most of these reasons will be made impossible if the Sabbat is strictly NPC only. Between flesh crafting and shadow tentacles alone, how would you implement such powers in a way that won't make this game all kinds of (awesome) 18+/XXX/oh for gods sake thats gross/etc.

Caveman Paws on
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    All OWoD is pretty fucking broken.

Changeling lacks drive, has vague hooks, and when your character type wide primary antagonist is "boredom" you're doing something wrong. NWoD Changeling is superior.

Also the Sabbat is where it's at SWORD OF CAINE HELL YEAH!

*Black Hand bro-fist*

I'm going to have to resist the urge to buy this and and basically reprise my characters from various MUSHes.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
    edited September 2010
    I will be kind of unimpressed if we don't start getting solid gameplay information and/our screens soon. We're overdue here.

Fiaryn on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My take

2012: Completely irrelevant to me. I'm not salivating for this game, so I'll take it when I get it.

oWoD : Ugh.. First thing that comes to mind to me is "baggage." There's just so much metaplot in the Old WoD. Maybe they'll start fresh, and ignore the crappy bits, but I still thing nWoD would have been better, solely from a flexibility standpoint. You have a rich backstory to set things up, but after that, anything goes. You can add whatever you want, create whatever you want. Unlike the oWoD, the nWoD hasn't been mapped out, cataloged and defined. If there's some sort of bizarre tentacle beast in an oWoD basement, you can pretty quickly narrow down what it is exactly. nWoD though? You'll probably never figure out what it is, if it's even something that can be defined. Also, this being the old WoD will lead me into the next bit

Vampire-Only: If it was nWoD, I'd be pissed. The Forsaken are much more flexible than the Garou were, so there would be plenty of opportunity for cross-splat interaction of all types. (Alliances, Competition, Conflict) and even nWoD mages had venues to pair down their insane probability space for their abilities into something that would actually work in an MMO. Plus all the fun other splats like Prometheans and nWoD changlings would be awesome down the line.

However, oWoD changes all that. There will be no alliances between Vamps and Wolves: it'll pretty much be like the Alliance and Horde, except 98% of the Alliance would get shredded by a level 1 hordie. And if you thought nWoD mages were powerful with their Atlantean magic, oWOD mages literally rewrite the rules of the universe on whims. You can't scale that down and still keep the enormous gravity of the flavor. Basically, if it's oWoD, I doubt they'd be able to do Werewolves and Vampires justice. Plus it really sucks trying to mesh the universes together.

Vampires ARE the undead decendants of Caine who WAS cursed by an Angel in the service of GOD (THE GOD, the one and only GOD)
    Werewolves ARE the defenders of the earth Spirit Gaia, who IS besieged by two of the three forces of creation in the Universe. There is no GOD, there is only the Wyld (Aspect of possibility and chaos), the Weaver (Aspect of creation and statis), and the Wyrm (Aspect of destruction and entropy).
    Mages have Avatars which ARE the shards of The One, which gives them the ability to rewrite reality at will and God and the Weaver/Wyrm/Wyld can go suck it if they don't like it. They're all just cheap manifestations of essential universal elements anyway.

So if it's oWoD, just keep it Vampire is fine with me. Of course, I don't like Vampire so I probably won't check the game out, but I'll be secure in the knowledge that it's probably a better game than it would have been otherwise.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    And if you thought nWoD mages were powerful with their Atlantean magic, oWOD mages literally rewrite the rules of the universe on whims. You can't scale that down and still keep the enormous gravity of the flavor.

Technically, yes they did. However, how drastically they could change those rules depended on a lot of things.

The minute someone notices that he is not reloading his pistol spells a potential catastrophic doom for the mage. You even think about throwing a fireball without a handy "flame thrower" or "faulty gas main" and you are just begging Reality itself to bend you over and sodomize you.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited September 2010
    And if you thought nWoD mages were powerful with their Atlantean magic, oWOD mages literally rewrite the rules of the universe on whims. You can't scale that down and still keep the enormous gravity of the flavor.

Technically, yes they did. However, how drastically they could change those rules depended on a lot of things.

The minute someone notices that he is not reloading his pistol spells a potential catastrophic doom for the mage. You even think about throwing a fireball without a handy "flame thrower" or "faulty gas main" and you are just begging Reality itself to bend you over and sodomize you.

That is true, but it ignores my point.

I'm not saying there's no consequences for doing these actions, I'm saying that the sheer scope and scale of what a Mage can do, paradox or not, will not mesh up with what they could get away with in an MMO. Unless you want to install a safety gauge on every mage that says "Sorry, that will cause too much Paradox" whenever they tried casting an egregious spell. But again, part of Mage is deciding when it is necessary to eat some paradox to get the job done. Sometimes you just gotta do a really vulgar effect and take your punishment like a man.

EDIT: Plus part of the fun is seeing how the ST is going to shape the backlash. At least when you have a creative ST.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited September 2010
    One thing I'm really interested in is when exactly this takes place, as that determines a lot of how they're going to need to reshape things.

The oWoD ended back in 2004 (As in the world ACTUALLY ended. The apocalypse and all that), so either this game will take place in an earlier time (probably 1991, when Vampire first came out, if they going that way. Just my guess though.) or they're just going to drop the Time of Judgment stuff and keep it in 2012: in which case, I wonder what else they'll be willing to drop... Perhaps undoing things going as far back as the death of Ravnos? (My buddy would have an orgasm if they did that.)

Undead Scottsman on