As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Darkness] Paradox buys White Wolf - Maybe not dead

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So Q&A and the inspirations panels are today. Hopefully we get some more information. I'll try to keep you guys updated, as we learn more about the game.

KoopahTroopah on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am curious why they choose a Masquerade setting for it? but then I kind of like the Mekhet from requiem over some of the ones in Masquerade

Brainleech on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So it is oWoD after all and only Vampires?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »
    So it is oWoD after all and only Vampires?

yahuh.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Seems like an Odd way to go. I know Werewolves and Mages could be released in the future. Like with expansions. Still find it strange that it's set in oWoD.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I am curious why they choose a Masquerade setting for it? but then I kind of like the Mekhet from requiem over some of the ones in Masquerade

Well, one reason may be the LARP fanbase. They have a much better idea of what the LARPers are doing, at least in the big organizations like the Camarilla and One World by Night (both of whom had substantial presences at the Grand Masquerade event), than what individual table top gamers are actually playing. The Camarilla switched to the New World of Darkness and then had to add a venue for old style Vampire: the Masquerade games due to popular demand. One World by Night never switched. The big organized LARP groups also might provide some insight into how an MMO would work in practice, since they have some of the same traits.

Another possibility may that one of the key differences between old and new World of Darkness is that the new World of Darkness doesn't have the same level of what was called metaplot. The old World of Darkness had a storyline that was unfolding through the various gaming books (indeed, one of the reasons to buy books was to find out what was going on). In some ways it is similar to the idea of "lore" in WoW.

Third possibility, which is more out there, is that VtM probably had more influence on the vampire genre than VtR. You can watch a show like True Blood and find direct analogues to concepts that were popularized by VtM, so it might make the game an easier sell to people who are interested in the genre but never played the RPGs. Of course, this is kind of a weak theory, because a lot of those concepts are in VtR as well.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Almost everywhere I turn that does LARP, V:TM is still going. People are too attached to Cainite politics, so considering that, it's almost a no-brainer to keep V:TM as the MMO setting.

I still don't get 2012. This is some DNF scale delaying.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Another good reason why they might be running with the OWoD is that the NWoD is much more "high fantasy", then the OWoD. Also, because as far as grim-dark/awesome settings go, the OWoD wins out pretty solidly.

In the NWoD there's an area 51 esque group of Hunters with weapons that could make mincemeat of vampires and other nasties. There are also other "fantasy" hunter groups that might lessen the realism of the setting, since they're going for a modern setting.

In the OWoD most hunters are [strike]victims[/strike] subjects of a grim, and arguably demonic God. The best weaponry they get is, maybe, a flaming crossbow and some automatic weaponry. Their connection to the divine also drives a good deal of the more powerful hunters that actually have supernatural powers batshit insane too. They're still a threat, but most older vampires will tear them apart.

Of course, that leaves some of the asian hunters who go after the asian version of vamps. A rare few of them can pull off stunts that look like something out of a wire-fu film. But encounters with humans and supernaturals like that are much rarer in the OWoD, and would help to keep the game solidly player focused.

Plus, you can't tell me that if we get to play Hunters at some point, that going all "Punisher" on the creatures of the night with mundane weaponry wouldn't be fucking awesome when compared to the NWoD alternatives.

Archonex on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »

That is well beyond hyperbole.

http://duke.a-13.net/

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There are lower tier Hunters in NWoD, just depends on the kind of game you want to run. But NWoD is overall less 'together'. Everything's more freeform. In OWoD, it's all part of a bigger picture.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited September 2010

That is well beyond hyperbole.

http://duke.a-13.net/

Yeah, but this has been in the works for a really, really long time.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There are lower tier Hunters in NWoD, just depends on the kind of game you want to run. But NWoD is overall less 'together'. Everything's more freeform. In OWoD, it's all part of a bigger picture.

Yeah, but if you run with the NWoD and don't put in the MiB's, they're still going to be there for those people familiar with the setting. And the LARPers i've met are spergy enough to be bothered by that.

Though, the more I think about it, a big reason why they might be running with the OWoD is that it's a much more, as you put it, put together setting.

The NWoD would great for a game like WoW, where content is progressive, with you getting ever stronger to fight stronger groups. However, the OWoD would fit much better for a sandbox game given the set stratification of power levels.

Archonex on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The oWoD ended back in 2004

There's nothing in any of the Time of Judgment books that says anything like "the end happens right now, when this book is published". (In fact, Ascension even has a postscript for one of its possible apocalypses suggesting what might happen if the timeline moves up to December 21, 2012 without the apocalypse actually happening.) Extending the oWoD into the present and beyond doesn't rule out the possibility of Gehenna (or whatever) happening at some nebulous point in the future.

gtrmp on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My take

2012: Completely irrelevant to me. I'm not salivating for this game, so I'll take it when I get it.

oWoD : Ugh.. First thing that comes to mind to me is "baggage."
    There's just so much metaplot in the Old WoD. Maybe they'll start fresh, and ignore the crappy bits, but I still thing nWoD would have been better, solely from a flexibility standpoint. You have a rich backstory to set things up, but after that, anything goes. You can add whatever you want, create whatever you want. Unlike the oWoD, the nWoD hasn't been mapped out, cataloged and defined. If there's some sort of bizarre tentacle beast in an oWoD basement, you can pretty quickly narrow down what it is exactly. nWoD though? You'll probably never figure out what it is, if it's even something that can be defined. Also, this being the old WoD will lead me into the next bit

Vampire-Only: If it was nWoD, I'd be pissed. The Forsaken are much more flexible than the Garou were, so there would be plenty of opportunity for cross-splat interaction of all types. (Alliances, Competition, Conflict) and even nWoD mages had venues to pair down their insane probability space for their abilities into something that would actually work in an MMO. Plus all the fun other splats like Prometheans and nWoD changlings would be awesome down the line.

However, oWoD changes all that. There will be no alliances between Vamps and Wolves: it'll pretty much be like the Alliance and Horde, except 98% of the Alliance would get shredded by a level 1 hordie. And if you thought nWoD mages were powerful with their Atlantean magic, oWOD mages literally rewrite the rules of the universe on whims. You can't scale that down and still keep the enormous gravity of the flavor. Basically, if it's oWoD, I doubt they'd be able to do Werewolves and Vampires justice. Plus it really sucks trying to mesh the universes together.

Vampires ARE the undead decendants of Caine who WAS cursed by an Angel in the service of GOD (THE GOD, the one and only GOD)
    Werewolves ARE the defenders of the earth Spirit Gaia, who IS besieged by two of the three forces of creation in the Universe. There is no GOD, there is only the Wyld (Aspect of possibility and chaos), the Weaver (Aspect of creation and statis), and the Wyrm (Aspect of destruction and entropy).
    Mages have Avatars which ARE the shards of The One, which gives them the ability to rewrite reality at will and God and the Weaver/Wyrm/Wyld can go suck it if they don't like it. They're all just cheap manifestations of essential universal elements anyway.

So if it's oWoD, just keep it Vampire is fine with me. Of course, I don't like Vampire so I probably won't check the game out, but I'll be secure in the knowledge that it's probably a better game than it would have been otherwise.

I was lulling myself into a nice false sense of acceptance about the owod setting and here you come with your doom&gloom. Of course you are right on every point but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I can only imagine the owod setting was the result of the many fans in their forums saying how they will not touch this game if it was nwod. Also, the "baggage" you point out also acts as a crutch for the game designers who can use all that stuff to draw from when creating missions,npcs,etc.

I would imagine that that as far as the time-line goes they will simply ignore the actual Time of Judgement stuff and just open the game (hopefully) early-mid 2012 in time to take advantage of the "mayan prophecy" saying the world ends in December of that year (bunk of course). Would be a nice way to sell the game "ring in the Apocalypse with WoD MMO!" Also the initial missions/stories could be a "the sky is falling" as all the kindred fear the end as 2012 comes round but then nothing happens and we get to see all the elder vamps say "this happens ever 100yrs..."etc.

Caveman Paws on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was an owod fan, the nwod setting never appealed to me. It always seemed like pandering to the insipid players who always wanted to be the guy playing a mage in a vampire game.

What was already said was spot on. Vampires, werewolves, mages, and changelings had their own settings within the owod, and there was never any intention of having a vampire game with some people playing werewolves. It didn't work, and every time an attempt was made it was full of fail because the individual systems weren't balanced for it.

Nwod balanced things out a bit, but lost what was really interesting about the vampire settings in particular, and the other settings to a lesser degree.

Regina Fong on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    EDIT:I did not know.

Anyway. If this is to have any chance of being good it must have playable Sabbat. Along with Chainsaws/firedancing. And I would only play it for delicious pubbie tears.

Edith Upwards on
    edited September 2010
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    EDIT:I did not know.

Anyway. If this is to have any chance of being playable it must have playable Sabbat. Along with Chainsaws/firedancing.

They'd need to have a really good way of balancing out the fact that it's fairly easy for a Camarilla vampire to join the Sabbat and virtually impossible for the reverse to take place.

If they just did it with a straight up WoW faction separation it would be stupid.

Regina Fong on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Seems like an Odd way to go. I know Werewolves and Mages could be released in the future. Like with expansions. Still find it strange that it's set in oWoD.

Odd? OWoD Vampire has a stronger following. And keeping it to just one sub-type is the sane thing to do. Bite off more than you can chew and you get...a shitty game and an MMORPG that goes nowhere. Like almost every MMORPG in recent memory.
    Archonex wrote: »
    Another good reason why they might be running with the OWoD is that the NWoD is much more "high fantasy", then the OWoD. Also, because as far as grim-dark/awesome settings go, the OWoD wins out pretty solidly.

In the NWoD there's an area 51 esque group of Hunters with weapons that could make mincemeat of vampires and other nasties. There are also other "fantasy" hunter groups that might lessen the realism of the setting, since they're going for a modern setting.

In the OWoD most hunters are [strike]victims[/strike] subjects of a grim, and arguably demonic God. The best weaponry they get is, maybe, a flaming crossbow and some automatic weaponry. Their connection to the divine also drives a good deal of the more powerful hunters that actually have supernatural powers batshit insane too. They're still a threat, but most older vampires will tear them apart.

This says the exact opposite of what you think it does. I'm kind of confused. You realize that "high fantasy" implies "more magical" and it's OWoD that has the more outrageously fantastical powers at play right? OWoD Vampires have preposterous super powers that only got more and more ridiculous with power creep over the years, Antediluvians were basically vampiric Gokus, and furthermore OWoD Hunters have pretty respectable magical abilities. NWoD Hunters have menial or no super human abilities.

I'm not sure if you just don't know what that phrase means or what.

Exactly this. NWoD is a toolkit meant to avoid metaplot baggage and "Well that's impossible because I know Tempus is actually Chaotic Good not Chaotic Neutral see it says here in the book" effect where there's such an idiotic amount of unnecessary detail printed that it's very difficult to surprise your players without being second guessed by them every foot of the way.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited September 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Odd? OWoD Vampire has a stronger following. And keeping it to just one sub-type is the sane thing to do. Bite off more than you can chew and you get...a shitty game and an MMORPG that goes nowhere. Like almost every MMORPG in recent memory.

old world of darkness = ruined the term "crossover" for me.
    new world of darkness = crossover is possible but it's still not much fun.

If they can make a V:tM MMO not suck that would be more than I would dare hope for. Reading over the V:tM disciplines and clans right now via wiki I'm expecting alot of alterations to these powers in order to make them work on a mmo. Not just from a balance pov but from a "we can't let them flesh craft actual dicks on their faces" pov.

Caveman Paws on
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

If they can make a V:tM MMO not suck that would be more than I would dare hope for. Reading over the V:tM disciplines and clans right now via wiki I'm expecting alot of alterations to these powers in order to make them work on a mmo. Not just from a balance pov but from a "we can't let them flesh craft actual dicks on their faces" pov.

Any Vampire: the Masquerade MMO that does not allow me to make a Tzimisce and fleshcraft a Vohzd shaped like a giant dick that ejaculates albino ghoul scorpions is not something I want to be a part of.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
    edited September 2010

So many games ruined by that one guy who just had to play a werewolf.

No no, it will be different this time if you just let me play a werewolf again I swear I won't just start killing all the vampires!

Weeks of frustrating and stupid plot convolutions follow to justify a werewolf being in game followed by a single night of all game balance being destroyed then a few months later it happens all over again.

Not only did wod ruin my taste for crossovers, the failed crossovers made me passionately hate wod werewolves and mages and all the people who like them.

-edit-

and don't even get me started on spirits and the "umbra" and the utter and complete lack of thought that went into balancing those concepts.

Regina Fong on
    edited September 2010

Any Vampire: the Masquerade MMO that does not allow me to make a Tzimisce and fleshcraft a Vohzd shaped like a giant dick that ejaculates albino ghoul scorpions is not something I want to be a part of.

It is my fond hope that someone at CCP gets wind of your post and takes it to the powers that be, leading to New WoD! :lol:

That having been said if you make a Vohzd penis monster I'm making a Lasombra shadow tentacle-rapist and we will rule the game as father&son... or would it be man&wife? King&Queen? Shadow Lady bits&Fleshcraft Man bits?

Caveman Paws on
  • TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is there anything preventing them from mixing and matching gamelines from Old world and new as necessary? So, oWoD vampire and nWoD Changeling, because the settings are better and more popular, nWoD Mage because its slightly more manageable. Don't really know much about Werewolf, is there any consensus like with Vampire & Changeling?

EDIT: And as I think others mentioned, nWoD is much more flexible when it comes to interaction between supernaturals, which is pretty essential if they plan on bringing others in with expansions.

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

edited September 2010
    Travan wrote: »
    Is there anything preventing them from mixing and matching gamelines from Old world and new as necessary? So, oWoD vampire and nWoD Changeling, because the settings are better and more popular, nWoD Mage because its slightly more manageable. Don't really know much about Werewolf, is there any consensus like with Vampire & Changeling?

Just lore basically. Depending on if they want to piss off a bunch of WW fanboys or not.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Archonex wrote: »

There are more Hunters in oWoD than the Reckoning ones. Including a group that run around with advanced technology. Also, on the topic of advanced technology: the Technocracy. :D

But for non-Reckoning hunters, we had the FBI's Special Affairs division, the National Security Agency, the Center for Disease Control, the Arcanum, the Inquisition's Society of Leopold, a gang named the Young Bloods and the vampire "bloodline", the Children of Osiris. That's just from Hunter's Hunted.

And I'd argue the nWoD does horror better, solely because the unknown and the unclassifiable plays a bigger role than it did in the oWoD, where everything was explained in a splatbook somewhere.
    Plus, you can't tell me that if we get to play Hunters at some point, that going all "Punisher" on the creatures of the night with mundane weaponry wouldn't be fucking awesome when compared to the NWoD alternatives.
    There are lots of different kinds of Hunters in the nWoD, from smaller "Compacts" like
    * The Long Night – Christian hunters trying to destroy monster to facilitate the second coming of Christ.
    * Null Mysteriis – A group that seeks to scientifically study the paranormal.
    * Network Zero – A group trying to expose the supernatural world to the public via the use of media sites such as YouTube.
    * The Union – Consists of regular folks mostly trying to protect their neighborhood from oppression of any kind (humans or monsters).
    * The Ashwood Abbey – Thrill seekers who want to experience everything involving the supernatural from the most benign to the most psychotic (torture, mutilation, and worse).
    * The Loyalists of Thule – Guilt-driven knowledge seekers who use what they learn to help the world after their assistance in creating the Nazi Party.

To the larger conspiracies
    * Task Force: VALKYRIE ("The Men in Black") – Founded after the "real" death of Abraham Lincoln, using high-tech weaponry to protect the public and keep them from knowing things they do not want to know.
    * The Lucifuge – Children of Satan, who use their infernal powers to hunt monsters.
    * The Cheiron Group – Group of international corporations who experiment on monsters in order to find cures for modern diseases such as cancer and HIV, and attaching parts of monsters to their field agents.
    * Aegis Kai Doru (Greek for "Shield & Spear") – Empowered by ancient relics and bound by a vow to destroy both werewolves and mages for an ancient grudge.
    * Ascending Ones – Ancient Egyptian cult turned Islamic hunters, they are well known for their use of drugs to help aid their monster hunting.
    * Malleus Maleficarum – Secret enforcers of the Catholic Church, based on the heretical book from the Inquisition and specialize in vampire hunting.

The important thing to note is that nWoD hunters are are closer to "Hunter's Hunted" kind of hunters, rather than "Hunter: the Reckoning" hunters. Also, I never thought I see the day when people actually were nostalgic for "Hunter: the Recking" :D That book got so much hate back in the day.. :)

Undead Scottsman on
    edited September 2010
    Keep in mind that OWoD vampire has (easily) enough storyline richness to support an MMO without ever introducing the other games as anything other than antagonists.

And again, I will point out that the storylines for the owod game products are not the same. Werewolves in V:TM are not spirit-walking nature loving mystical beings, they're just furry death machines.

When you try to mix the metaphysics of the different owod games is exactly what caused problems. They are not designed to support it.

Regina Fong on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    It helps when you consider that everything the monsters think they know about each other is at best unreliable.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited September 2010
    It helps when you consider that everything the monsters think they know about each other is at best unreliable.

Sorry, no. It's even explicitly stated in more than one owod game manual exactly why crossovers are a bad idea. The argument I made is a paraphrase of the reasoning given.

Note:

By crossovers, I mean attempts to mix the multiple owod storyteller games together. Werewolves make perfectly good antagonists for a V:TM game and vice versa. What does not work is having a half werewolf and half vampire game with the oddball mage thrown in.

Do. Not. Want.

Regina Fong on
  • TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Keep in mind that OWoD vampire has (easily) enough storyline richness to support an MMO without ever introducing the other games as anything other than antagonists.

Then why call the game "World of Darkness"? I'm not saying you're wrong, just that the title implies access to a range of well-documented character archetypes and skillsets.
    And again, I will point out that the storylines for the owod game products are not the same. Werewolves in V:TM are not spirit-walking nature loving mystical beings, they're just furry death machines.

When you try to mix the metaphysics of the different owod games is exactly what caused problems. They are not designed to support it.

Which is why I'm in favor of keeping the over-arching reality of the world fairly variable, like in nWoD, and using oWoD gamelines as settings and fluff only.

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Sorry, no. It's even explicitly stated in more than one owod game manual exactly why crossovers are a bad idea. The argument I made is a paraphrase of the reasoning given.

Note:

By crossovers, I mean attempts to mix the multiple owod storyteller games together. Werewolves make perfectly good antagonists for a V:TM game and vice versa. What does not work is having a half werewolf and half vampire game with the oddball mage thrown in.

Do. Not. Want.

Oh, pshaw. We all know that all oWoD books were just supplements for Mage. :P

Hachface on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the failed crossovers made me passionately hate wod werewolves and mages and all the people who like them.

Mage and Werewolf players feel the same way.

Although I DID once play a very confused Orphan in a group of werewolves, it was a nice, fulfilling RP session 'til the player who was "Sleeping off a hangover" came in.

He was playing an axe murderer the entire time. THE ENTIRE TIME.

Edith Upwards on
    edited September 2010
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    the failed crossovers made me passionately hate wod werewolves and mages and all the people who like them.

Mage and Werewolf players feel the same way.

Although I DID once play a very confused Orphan in a group of werewolves, it was a nice, fulfilling RP session 'til the player who was "Sleeping off a hangover" came in.

He was playing an axe murderer the entire time. THE ENTIRE TIME.

the entire werewolf setting was a bunch of people playing axe murderers covered with a thin cheese-flavored veneer of insipid hippie paganism.

-edit-

And really, if mage and werewolf players felt the same way, they would have stopped joining vampire games and asking to play mages and werewolves in them.

Regina Fong on
    edited September 2010
    Looked for a summary of the panels but couldn't really find anything. However I find it funny that this thread is the on the first page of google when typing in "World of Darkness panel"

KoopahTroopah on
    edited September 2010
    Looked for a summary of the panels but couldn't really find anything. However I find it funny that this thread is the on the first page of google when typing in "World of Darkness panel"

Good, the more people hearing about some of us planning fleshcrafted wang monsters the better.

Combat. How do you keep a game focused on the social/political aspect of things when someone people roll a character with potence/vigor 3, str 4 and melee 3?

I'm really hoping that masquerade breakers get torped for a ridiculous period of time (say 1yr) and repeat offenders get staked/ashed for good. I really can't imagine wandering city streets without seeing a supernatural fist fight on every corner ala city of heroes. Will they make certain areas "non combat" or have ghouls/mortals on the payroll of the Prince show up to break up fights asap?

Guess I'll find out in 2012. >.<

Caveman Paws on
    edited September 2010
    I think this game could be the one instance where a significant death penalty, as well as an utterly ruinous penalty for player-killing would be appropriate.

Regina Fong on
    edited September 2010
    As much as I want to play this, I've yet to ever pay a monthly fee for a game and I don't plan to start now, so buying it better be all I have to do.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As much as I want to play this, I've yet to ever pay a monthly fee for a game and I don't plan to start now, so buying it better be all I have to do.

That is just a ridiculous expectation.

It's an MMO, it will more than likely have a $15/month fee.

Comahawk on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, probably. Well, I can always abuse the demo. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm really hoping that masquerade breakers get torped for a ridiculous period of time (say 1yr) and repeat offenders get staked/ashed for good. I really can't imagine wandering city streets without seeing a supernatural fist fight on every corner ala city of heroes. Will they make certain areas "non combat" or have ghouls/mortals on the payroll of the Prince show up to break up fights asap?

It's an MMORPG. It needs to be profitable. Therefore, it needs people to stay subscribed.

For this reason, I can't see the bolded happening.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited September 2010

It's an MMORPG. It needs to be profitable. Therefore, it needs people to stay subscribed.

For this reason, I can't see the bolded happening.

Two factions: Sabbat and Camarilla.

If you break the rules too much, you are blood hunted and your character dies unless you join the Sabbat.

Once you join the Sabbat that character cannot go back to the Camarilla (though you can reroll of course).

That way people who want to play a different sort of vampire can just roll Sabbat to begin with, and Camarilla vampires who can't function in kindred society get to go play with their peers.

-edit-

And this is quite a lot how EVE works, and plenty of people still play that, so I don't see a problem.

Regina Fong on