As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AA = Crap?

JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting DefensePlace at the tableRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Here's something I haven't seen done to death on these forums.

Is the Alchoholics' Anonymous program (and/or other appications of 12-step) a venue for state mandated religion?

It does mandate a belief in and surrender to a higher power, and is, in many places, mandated by the court.

Then there an issue with function - AA is often described in the most glowing of terms ancedotally, but statistics don't back it up as a functional program. It's statistically little better then quitting cold turkey.

Finally, the issue of attitude - do addicts need to be told they should surrender to a higher power, or do they need to be more self-reliant and self- constrained?

There are secular alternatives to AA that seem to produce better results, yet they aren't court mandated - they often aren't even allowed as alternatives to AA.

Why might that be?

JohnnyCache on

• Options
    Thought PolicemanThought Policeman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Here's something I haven't seen done to death on these forums.

Is the Alchoholics' Anonymous program (and/or other appications of 12-step) a venue for state mandated religion?

It does mandate a belief in and surrender to a higher power, and is, in many places, mandated by the court.

Then there an issue with function - AA is often described in the most glowing of terms ancedotally, but statistics don't back it up as a functional program. It's statistically little better then quitting cold turkey.

Finally, the issue of attitude - do addicts need to be told they should surrender to a higher power, or do they need to be more self-reliant and self- constrained?

There are secular alternatives to AA that seem to produce better results, yet they aren't court mandated - they often aren't even allowed as alternatives to AA.

Why might that be?

Short answer is yes, AA is crap. The only real way that I see to stop people from drinking and driving is to somehow instill in them a sense of social or personal responsibility into them. As defeatist as this may seem, I just don't see that happening.

Thought Policeman on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm not sure how a support group could be construed as a trojan horse for religion.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    saggio wrote:
    I'm not sure how a support group could be construed as a trojan horse for religion.
    1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
    2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
    3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
    4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
    5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
    6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
    7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
    8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
    9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
    10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
    11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
    12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
    How is that not religious?

Couscous on
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    God? Oh well that could mean anything

Agem on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    saggio wrote:

I'm more concerned about it's weak success rate much more than it's religious overtones. Curbing the destructive effects of rampant alcoholism in an individual would be worth dealing with the ills of religion (and I say that as a staunch atheist) if it worked, but there's minimal evidence of that.

werehippy on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    saggio wrote:

Have you ever been to one? They're pretty churchy. Also very depressing. And the one experience I had with part of a meeting picking someone up, never has ten minutes made me want to drink so bad.

In fact we went straight to a bar.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hell, I've seen some claim it makes things statistically worse.

--

Also, AA religious cooks make up at least 50% of the pain-in-the-ass-morons on the atheist USENET groups.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    snip
    Oh. I thought it was more subtle than that, with the occasional thing like "accepting that there is a higher power" thrown in (Trojan horse for religion or not, it probably is a good idea to keep people who have already demonstrated self-destructive tendencies away from thoughts of nihilism and the such).

But then again, I'm just going by what I saw when House went through rehab a couple of weeks ago. What do I know.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    saggio wrote:
    1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
    2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
    3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
    5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
    8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
    9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
    10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
    11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
    12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

That looks like basic self-help stuff with mentions of god thrown in there. I see nothing about worship, ethics, claims about the existence of any single deity, or prophetic/mystical claims.

It would seem to me that AA has adopted the idea of the existence of a supreme being for a) psychological and b) cultural reasons. It's not that big of a deal. If you go to AA, and you understand god to be the grey sock that clings to your couch, then you are free (and, indeed, encouraged) to use that conception of god to further your own emotional and moral development.

saggio on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    saggio wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    saggio wrote:

That looks like basic self-help stuff with mentions of god thrown in there. I see nothing about worship, ethics, claims about the existence of any single deity, or prophetic/mystical claims.

It would seem to me that AA has adopted the idea of the existence of a supreme being for a) psychological and b) cultural reasons. It's not that big of a deal. If you go to AA, and you understand god to be the grey sock that clings to your couch, then you are free (and, indeed, encouraged) to use that conception of god to further your own emotional and moral development.

They did some TV special some years ago.

AA meetings would get you out of jail sooner for certain violations.

Sucks for the ethical atheist.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    saggio wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    saggio wrote:

And if I believe in multiple gods or not gods? It uses God with a capital G.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    On an episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit! they read an internal memo circulated within Alcoholics Anonymous that admitted that their program had no discernible effect upon the relapse rate of recovering alcoholics. This was based on a study they conducted tracking subjects participating in the program, and a control group of subjects attempting to give up drinking on their own.

I haven't looked up the success rate of other programs, but I'd wager that the ones which build up the confidence of their subjects, and make them feel empowered, are more effective than this "spiritual awakening" stuff.

"Hope is not a strategy," indeed.
    titmouse wrote:
    And if I believe in multiple gods or not gods?

Then you go to jail, Christ denier!
    It uses God with a capital G.

Clearly they're referring to our heavenly father, Bacchus, the God of Wine.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    saggio wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    saggio wrote:

You're saying that I'm wrong because they capitalize 'G'? I assume that you are implying they are trying to encourage belief in the God (capital G) of the largest religion in the West, Christianity. Which would bring us back to b) cultural reasons for mentioning a higher power. Chances are, if you are born in Europe or the Americas, you're going to be a christian. Even if you aren't, you are at the very least going to be exposed to the various (and sometimes very pervasive) cultural artifacts that we all have to deal with.

I think people are overreacting. It's self-help that encourages you to come conceptualize a higher power that will aid you in your journey of emotional and moral reconstruction.

saggio on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    saggio wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    saggio wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    saggio wrote:

You're saying that I'm wrong because they capitalize 'G'? I assume that you are implying they are trying to encourage belief in the God (capital G) of the largest religion in the West, Christianity. Which would bring us back to b) cultural reasons for mentioning a higher power. Chances are, if you are born in Europe or the Americas, you're going to be a christian. Even if you aren't, you are at the very least going to be exposed to the various (and sometimes very pervasive) cultural artifacts that we all have to deal with.

I think people are overreacting. It's self-help that encourages you to come conceptualize a higher power that will aid you in your journey of emotional and moral reconstruction.

And it doesn't work.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

And it doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure that would be true regardless if god was mentioned or not.

saggio on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    From the Wikipedia article is is claimed that "God" is just supposed to represent whatever the participant wants it to - there is an emphasis left out by titmouse:
    Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
    Still not on the up-and-up at all, but not bad for something cooked up in 1935. Of course the question is why it hasn't been updated to be more inclusive/less denominational.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    saggio wrote:

And it doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure that would be true regardless if god was mentioned or not.

The thing is that the majority of the program is BASED on religion, which is likely why it gets so much support to begin with.

The shit gets promoted like it's a cure, when all it's good for is finding new drinking buddies.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yes, AA is weak as hell. its success rate is the same as spontaneous remission (just getting better on your own)- about 5% off the top of my head. utter crap.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The really insane thing is, it's hard to say that that guy could be wrong. While I'm sure he could have cherry-picked his evidence, coupled to the posts in this thread from others, and the fact that AA's stuff is public, and he makes a really good point. Also a scary one.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    what are the remission percentages we get these days from standard counseling/ therapy? how good are we at that kinda stuff these days?
    my gut feeling would be that its leaps and bounds better than a program that has not changed since it was started 70+ years ago.

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    what are the remission percentages we get these days from standard counseling/ therapy? how good are we at that kinda stuff these days?
    my gut feeling would be that its leaps and bounds better than a program that has not changed since it was started 70+ years ago.
    I suspect the net answer is something like "never let facts keep a good ideology down."

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Ain't No SunshineAin't No Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've consulted with AA organizers before, and in my experience, some programs are "churchy" and some are not at all (at least, in the Philadelphia area). They're very community-based affairs and no one meeting will be exactly like another. That said, the therapeutic keys to programs like these are social support and inhibition of denial (that is, getting alcoholics to admit that they're alcoholics), and AA usually does that pretty well.

I automatically distrust any claim that psychotherapy for alcoholism "doesn't work". Drug addiction of any sort is best described as a psychosocial and biological chronic disease. The right mix of environmental and biological cues can bring any addict back to their substance of choice; almost every addict has occasional slips or relapses in their behavior. In short, there is no cure, so no treatment will ever "work". There were too many studies to read in the Orange Papers link cited above, but most were written before this model was even recognized, and you can read the error for yourselves in some of the quotations whenever they mention remission from drinking as an absolute.

The maddening thing about psychotherapy is that it's exactly as rewarding as the patient thinks it is, and notoriously tough to measure otherwise.

Ain't No Sunshine on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow, I had no idea that AA even mentioned a god or higher power at all.

Learn something new every day, I guess.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    meh the problem i have with it like some others here isnt about the religious content so much as it is about its inefficacy. I mean as a lay person who knows a little something about addiction and overcoming it, I think there are some definitely good parts about these programs such as having sponsors and people who will support you through your quest to rid yourself of whatever it is you want to not do anymore. But i think at the same time, the fact that we have learned so much more about the nature of addictions and compulsions in the last 20 years and that the field of psychology is still a relatively young field tells me that a program like AA cannot be the best way of doing things anymore. But then again therapists are more expensive than a book outlining these steps.

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    Umm...

I know a person who has gone through AA. The program went out of its way to specify that the "higher power" wasn't necessarily God. It could be family, community, God, a sense of responsibility, whatever. The point is to acknowledge the existence of some entity greater than yourself, and draw strength from it. If it's God, cool, if not, that's cool as well.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Umm...

I know a person who has gone through AA. The program went out of its way to specify that the "higher power" wasn't necessarily God. It could be family, community, God, a sense of responsibility, whatever. The point is to acknowledge the existence of some entity greater than yourself, and draw strength from it. If it's God, cool, if not, that's cool as well.

This is why I can't ever risk drinking.

(In case nobody gets the imbedded point there...)

The method is fairly likely to make some people feel insignificant and unimportant, and make them more likely to drink.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Umm...

Yes, some of us would have a problem with that. :)

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Umm...

The method is fairly likely to make some people feel insignificant and unimportant, and make them more likely to drink.
    It's because u r fat m I RITE?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Umm...

Me, I just have trouble thinking of some entity greater than myself. I like to think that I'm in charge of my own life, and the whole idea of "surrendering myself to some other power" is kind of creepy. And isn't it kind of counter-intuitive when it comes to drug/alcohol support? Shouldn't the message be that YOU and only YOU have the power and you have to be strong blah blah blah?

Like...

Those are pretty terrible messages, if you ask me. If you want to fix your failure of a life, YOU have to do it, not ask some higher entity to repair your fuck-ups for you. That's just retarded.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Ain't No SunshineAin't No Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    meh the problem i have with it like some others here isnt about the religious content so much as it is about its inefficacy. I mean as a lay person who knows a little something about addiction and overcoming it, I think there are some definitely good parts about these programs such as having sponsors and people who will support you through your quest to rid yourself of whatever it is you want to not do anymore. But i think at the same time, the fact that we have learned so much more about the nature of addictions and compulsions in the last 20 years and that the field of psychology is still a relatively young field tells me that a program like AA cannot be the best way of doing things anymore. But then again therapists are more expensive than a book outlining these steps.

Actually, it's pretty good, for the same reason that other older psychotherapies can turn out to be good: they're self-selecting. People who go to AA think there's a chance that it will help them. For some people, AA helps them, and they stick with it and get helped. For others, they stop, and find another way or are not helped. The program does help some people, but can never claim to be able to help them all in the way that most medicines would.

Ain't No Sunshine on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would just think of all of the agencies I know that have greater power than me, and how responsible and decent they are. Then I would start trying to kill my liver.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Umm...

I'm having a problem with the whole "entity" thing in general, God or god or whatever. I would hazard a guess that your friend just attended an AA group that was leaning to the secular and trying to avoid religious connotations while still technically adhereing to the origional tennents of AA.

I fail to see any evidence of why that is even a necessary step. I think it's a leftover from when the group was more overtly religious, read: Christian, and rather than scrapping it like they should they are trying to retrofit it to make it more palatable.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Actually what really bothers me (were I a US citizen, I have no idea what happens in Australia - we probably send you to rehab if you stop drinking) is the fact that AA can be court mandated and will definitely get you through your sentence quicker.

That, is a massive reaming to someone like me. If I didn't know anything about the process of AA, just the name (which I didn't, for the longest time), then I would get to step 3 and just go D: and quit. There's no way I'd be able to lie long enough to get through the program, it would just be to disingenuous for something that is otherwise important to me. But then again, I'm the sort of person who tends to stop doing things when - ladeeda - I get tired of the side-effects.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just a fun side fact:

Experiments done in the 60s with treating alcoholics with LSD had 50 percent success rates, compared to the 5 percent being discussed for AA.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Actually what really bothers me (were I a US citizen, I have no idea what happens in Australia - we probably send you to rehab if you stop drinking) is the fact that AA can be court mandated and will definitely get you through your sentence quicker.

That, is a massive reaming to someone like me. If I didn't know anything about the process of AA, just the name (which I didn't, for the longest time), then I would get to step 3 and just go D: and quit. There's no way I'd be able to lie long enough to get through the program, it would just be to disingenuous for something that is otherwise important to me. But then again, I'm the sort of person who tends to stop doing things when - ladeeda - I get tired of the side-effects.

I would make it very clear that my understanding of God is that God is actually Lucifer.

And I don't mean the kind that wears a smoking jacket.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:

I would make it very clear that my understanding of God is that God is actually Lucifer.

These days if you just wanted to screw with the program, when they say god say "You mean Allah right?"

But presumably there are courts looking at you so this might not be the greatest idea.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:

That would actually be a very funny cosmic joke.

Lucifer creates the universe and all, and then makes up this person called "God" "Yahweh" whatever for kicks to see how we take it. Sets himself up as the villian.

I mean, it's a throwback to the Greek mentality of Gods, but damn I think it's pretty hilarious and something that the mythological "Lucifer" character would do.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Derrick wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

Lucifer creates the universe and all, and then makes up this person called "God" "Yahweh" whatever for kicks to see how we take it. Sets himself up as the villian.

I mean, it's a throwback to the Greek mentality of Gods, but damn I think it's pretty hilarious and something that the mythological "Lucifer" character would do.
    A throwback to the Greek version of the gods? Man the Sumerians had an even more fucked up view - the Gods hated humanity and each other, and were out to get us. Astrology was them trying to work out which disaster was going to happen next.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Derrick wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

A throwback to the Greek version of the gods? Man the Sumerians had an even more fucked up view - the Gods hated humanity and each other, and were out to get us. Astrology was them trying to work out which disaster was going to happen next.

Ha! I love that.

But yeah, a throwback to the Greeks who generally liked to fuck with us for their amusement. They didn't harbor any particular ill-will, they were just bored.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander