As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E Discussion] Staff Fighter and Pyromancer essentials builds released on time!

• SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm creating a city called the City of Mists in a new campaign setting and would like to accurately describe the climatology of the area so that constant fog and mist would be realistic. Volcanic activity would not be amis in this region either.

Do we have any climatology or geology buffs around that could help?

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So Curses: pretty awesome. I love that while the article provides mechanical ways to remove a curse if you like (remove affliction, etc.), the curses themselves provide fluff-heavy curse-enders, like winning the kiss of an eladrin princess.

Saurfang on
  • FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Where can I find information on how to update pre-MM3 monsters' attacks, defenses, etc to the new MM3 standards?

FelixSomethingSomething on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, a mountainous area that's very high altitude and is somewhat near a coastline to bring in moist air would probably be the most continuously misty area you could find.

I'm no expert on the subject though. Consider making the mountains in a tropic climate.

Terrendos on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Where can I find information on how to update pre-MM3 monsters' attacks, defenses, etc to the new MM3 standards?

I think it's in the errata docs on the WoTC website?

IIRC, drop solo hit points by 20%, and double all fixed damage. (So if it's 2d6+5, make it 2d6+10)

Professor Phobos on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You need to drop defenses too though. Probably by a couple of points for each defense.

Terrendos on
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just thought of an awesome character concept. A Warforged Psion who can't feel emotions himself - think Data - and who tries to study his powers' effects on others to try to learn what such emotions would be like.

tzeentchling on
  • MrBeensMrBeens Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Got the Ravenloft boardgame yesterday and had a game last night.
    The rules are very simple (not a bad thing) and use 4e as the base so if you know the RPG you can pick it up really quickly.
    The game plays fast - we were done in just over an hour including explaining the rules.

I was fearing that it would be a little to forgiving, but it is in fact very brutal. We got killed and lost the game in the last room. It was totally down to the wire.

Everyone that played wanted to play again.

MrBeens on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    I'm creating a city called the City of Mists in a new campaign setting and would like to accurately describe the climatology of the area so that constant fog and mist would be realistic. Volcanic activity would not be amis in this region either.

The only thing I can think of that would make constant mist realistic would be if it were built near a waterfall the size of Victoria falls or larger. It's still a bit of a stretch, but I think it would be believable enough.

Alternatively, MAGIC!

Kilroy on
    edited September 2010
    I'm thinking of placing the city at the mouth of a river valley where katabatic wind brings cooler air from a glacier or something over warmer waters at the bottom of the valley, heated by a mostly inactive volcano and waters warmed by a gulf-type stream in the bay.

SkyCaptain on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Really, no matter you end up saying, a permanently misty place is going to be a geological oddity, if not an outright impossibility. So as long as your explanation sounds convincing, I doubt anyone would complain.

Kilroy on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MAGIC!

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2010
    I want to avoid MAGIC. I meant to say lots of fog, not perpetual permanent fog heh. As in every morning and most evenings when it would naturally make sense.

SkyCaptain on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want to avoid MAGIC. I meant to say lots of fog, not perpetual permanent fog heh. As in every morning and most evenings when it would naturally make sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_forest

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited September 2010
    Awesome. I wonder how much volcanic activity there would need to be in a northern temperate climate to create that kind of hydrologic environment.

SkyCaptain on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just thought of an awesome character concept. A Warforged Psion who can't feel emotions himself - think Data - and who tries to study his powers' effects on others to try to learn what such emotions would be like.
    Fluff and mechanics wise this would probably work better as an Ardent.

They're supposed to be manipulating emotions anyway, whereas the Psions mostly just crush your brain.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Awesome. I wonder how much volcanic activity there would need to be in a northern temperate climate to create that kind of hydrologic environment.

I suppose you could use a model like Chicago or San Francisco that is known for fog and more temperate climates.

They key elements would be being near and/or surrounded by bodies of water, being relatively near warmer climates, and having large structures (forest instead of tall buildings) to help trap the moisture in the air.

Chanus on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I suppose the answer to this might be 'yes', but are your players really as worried about that level of detail as you are?

If it were I and the DM said 'City of Mists, due to local geological conditions, almost always foggy' my reaction would be,

'Cool, hence the name I guess,'

rather than,

'Explain to me in exacting the detail the microclimate that produces this phenomenon or I'm leaving the table!'

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited September 2010
    It's part of the fluff describing it and I like for major features to be plausible. It's more for my benefit as a completionist and world builder than for the benefit of any players.

SkyCaptain on
    edited September 2010
    I suppose the answer to this might be 'yes', but are your players really as worried about that level of detail as you are?

If it were I and the DM said 'City of Mists, due to local geological conditions, almost always foggy' my reaction would be,

'Cool, hence the name I guess,'

rather than,

'Explain to me in exacting the detail the microclimate that produces this phenomenon or I'm leaving the table!'

While this is entirely true, I would also be the kind of DM to make sure every detail was there because I obsess over stuff like that which tends to only matter to me... so whether those are his motivations, I don't know... but I can empathize. :P

Chanus on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fair enough.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Frankly if the DM can't provide me with a region's altitude, average yearly rainfall, GDP (measured in astral diamonds), GDP per capita (measured in silver pieces), principal exports, and a complete genealogy of the ruling family extending at least ten centuries I will not play in his game.

Hachface on
    edited September 2010
    Totally. Realistic fantasy or no fantasy at all! :P

Chanus on
  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So if I took Arcane Implement Proficiency (Heavy Blades) I could have a bard who dramatically waves a sword about while his insults burn people to death?

I think I'm going to have to do that.

I've actually got a female bard, Moonbow Initiate who will be doing this with a flaming shortbow once she hits level 4.

Snowdown on
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Fluff and mechanics wise this would probably work better as an Ardent.

They're supposed to be manipulating emotions anyway, whereas the Psions mostly just crush your brain.

Ahh, ok. Couldn't remember which of the psionic classes was which.

tzeentchling on
  • streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pimp my dwarf!

OK, I get to upgrade this fine fellow to Paragon. What should I re-train? What PP should I pick?

I mostly want him to be a really good defender--super sticky, and able to take a lot of punishment. In the campaign we are in, he seems to get hit with a lot of status effects, too. I think his level of self-healing dailies is a little ridiculous--I just had never played a character at that level before. I had no idea how much healing I'd need.

Thanks in advance folks.
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Nils Blackhammer, level 10
    Dwarf, Fighter
    Build: Guardian Fighter
    Fighter: Combat Superiority
    Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent
    Background: Society - Noble (+2 to Insight)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 17, Con 16, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 15, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 27 Fort: 22 Reflex: 22 Will: 20
    HP: 85 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 23

TRAINED SKILLS
    Endurance +11, Heal +13, Athletics +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +4, Arcana +5, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +10, History +5, Insight +10, Intimidate +4, Nature +8, Perception +8, Religion +5, Stealth +4, Streetwise +4, Thievery +4

FEATS
    Level 1: Dwarven Weapon Training
    Level 2: Devoted Challenge
    Level 4: Armor Proficiency (Plate)
    Level 6: Distracting Shield
    Level 8: Shield Defense
    Level 10: Weapon Expertise (Hammer)

POWERS
    Fighter at-will 1: Resolute Shield
    Fighter at-will 1: Tide of Iron
    Fighter encounter 1: Shield Bash
    Fighter daily 1: Comeback Strike
    Fighter utility 2: Boundless Endurance
    Fighter encounter 3: Probing Attack
    Fighter daily 5: Pinning Smash
    Fighter utility 6: Daring Shot
    Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It
    Fighter daily 9: Victorious Surge
    Fighter utility 10: Defensive Resurgence

ITEMS
    Heavy Shield, Agile Plate Armor +2, Battering Craghammer +3, Amulet of Vigor +2, Gauntlets of Ogre Power (heroic tier), Helm of Opportunity (heroic tier), Belt of Vigor (heroic tier), Potion of Healing (heroic tier) (4), Executioner's Bracers (heroic tier), Kord's Mighty Strength (level 3), Throwing hammer (3), Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Crowbar, Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Lantern
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

streever on
  • soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, you've focused a little too much on self-preservation especially since you're a dwarf so you're already packing that second wind minor. I take it there's a leader in your party? Let him do his job in propping you up a bit. Plus, hitting paragon, you get Dwarven Durability which helps even more.

Feat-wise, you could lose both of those shield feats, but the others are all good - shield defense especially as you're going to be relying even less on your at-wills, so it won't kick in often enough. Shield Push (lets you negate attacks if you push them out of range) would be a good replacement for either if you want the shield flavour - the other should be retrained into a paragon feat.

Powerwise - Resolute Shield is pretty crappy. If you want damage reduction, an invigorating power will work against all attacks by giving you THP and wont be so lame on the damage. 3 or 4 HP isn't work the sacrifice in damage output. Cleave is always good, but now that you're in paragon Brash Strike becomes awesome as Ubiquitous Shield or Uncanny Dodge will let you negate the downside of the power.

Shield Bash is pretty useless at the level you're at - without the feat and magic weapon bonuses applying to it, it's going to wiff constantly now. Other than that your powers are okay, but pick one or two self-healing powers, not all of them. Rain of Blows/Sweeping Strike and Rain of Steel are pretty hard to dismiss in a fighter's repertoire - pick those up if you're not sure what to dump the healing powers for.

Paragon Path-wise, Dreadnought would be a good replacement for all those self-healing powers - Dwarven Defender works to with defense bonuses instead. There's a bunch of really good options though.

soxbox on
    edited September 2010
    So, A personal opinion, I think the only Dwarf Fighter is a Battlevigor Fighter. Well not the ONLY, but they're fantastic.
    However, since you've only got the option to retrain this guy, Lets work with what we've got.

First, based on your requirements of stickiness and taking punishment.

There don't seem to be a lot of PPs that add much stickiness. Punishment seems to be the theme.

Dreadnought seems to handle 2 of your problems using lots of healing, and suffering debilitating effects. 1, at lvl 11 you can spend 10hp to save without roll vs any effect a save can end as a minor action. You get 10 hps for free at 11th level and when you spend an AP you get resist all 10 until SONT, 16th level power gives you resist all 10 until EONT when you score a crit. the lvl 11, 12, and 20 powers all focus on resisting dmg.

Dwarven Defender is all about increasing AC, and the lvl 20 power adds stickiness....weak PP IMO

Earthheart defender at lvl11 when you spend an AP, you get 2 saves vs effects a save can end, and lvl 20 power creates a zone3 slow until end of encounter....also kind of weak IMO

(Edit)Agreed with Resolute shield sucking. Brash strike is the way to go.

As for retraining. Shield bash is pretty much worthless in paragon. It just doesn't scale well. I'd suggest either Hack & hew, marks 2 targets, and invigorating for THP or steel serpent strike, which is a nice sticky power

Most of your stickiness is going to come from feats/powers.

Unless you're short on healing power in the group (plus dwarves can surge as a minor) i'd trade comeback strike for Driving attack. It's invigorating again for THP, plus if you hit with the 2nd attack you knock prone.
    Boundless Endurance is Butter.
    Probing strike isn't bad....you could consider immediate vengeance, it's an +3 hit vs NAD (Fort) immediate interrupt (anything that gives you an extra action is great) that does damage, and weakens the enemy...halving the damage it triggerd off. bull charge is also nice, a str vs NAD (Fort) that damages, shifts, and knocks prone.
    pinning smash is nice for a single target sticky. Rain of Blows is pretty dominant...a minor that does 1w to all adjacent enemies, marking them....so they have to stay there or take an OA.
    daring shot is pretty excellent
    come and get it is great
    I'd trade victorious surge for Either Thicket of Blades (burst1 marks, good dmg, slows all targets) or bloodspike sweep, burst1 marks, (damage is kind of weak unless they fail to save vs the ongoing 5 for a while) but knocks prone with your hammer
    Get rid of defensive resurgence it gives +3ac to start of NT. for the same daily minor action Mighty surge gives you 1 less ac (+2) but also gives +1 attacks until EONT, and EVERY surge you spend that encounter gives you +2ac +1 attack until EONT Also fighter's grit is an option, lets you ignore the effects of dazed/immobilized/slow/weaken until next turn....but I'd take mighty surge.

Snowdown on
  • SquintsSquints Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So if I took Arcane Implement Proficiency (Heavy Blades) I could have a bard who dramatically waves a sword about while his insults burn people to death?

I think I'm going to have to do that.

My Artificer in Worldship has a Crossbow Implement feat, so he uses his hand crossbow for his arcane stuff.

He shoots people to heal them.

Squints on
    edited September 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Frankly if the DM can't provide me with a region's altitude, average yearly rainfall, GDP (measured in astral diamonds), GDP per capita (measured in silver pieces), principal exports, and a complete genealogy of the ruling family extending at least ten centuries I will not play in his game.

"So, uh, yeah.

I know fuck-all about Sharn, so we're going to this place. It's your stereotypical fantasy jungle that the writers didn't care enough about to put any real effort into."

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

How about a crater or just some flatland surrounded by mountains, with lots of hot spring/geyser activity? The mountains hold in the fog and shade enough to prevent the sun from burning it away?

Alkey42 on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

"So, uh, yeah.

I know fuck-all about Sharn, so we're going to this place. It's your stereotypical fantasy jungle that the writers didn't care enough about to put any real effort into."

I'm not the one who brought the party to Q'barra.

Hachface on
    edited September 2010

"So, uh, yeah.

Nope that was me.

Hence the joke. :P

OptimusZed on

edited September 2010

"So, uh, yeah.

Nope that was me.

Ah, right.

That was right after my character was lost at sea.

Hachface on
    edited September 2010

"So, uh, yeah.

Nope that was me.

Ah, right.

That was right after my character was lost at sea.
    No, Argonesson was after Conrad was shipwrecked.

Q'barra was mid-heroic.

OptimusZed on

edited September 2010
    Oh right.

I ran an adventure in Q'barra.

I don't really know Eberron so it all kinda blends together for me.

Hachface on
  • Owen EdwardsOwen Edwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, why do I read people bitching about Psions everywhere? They don't seem broken to me...is it just a grognardism issue?

Owen Edwards on
    edited September 2010
    So, why do I read people bitching about Psions everywhere? They don't seem broken to me...is it just a grognardism issue?

I think that, without Psionic Power, the classes are just kinda crappy.

And Psion was broken for a while. I think they fixed it?

Hachface on
  • ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, in preparation (and, fine, excitement for getting to seriously GM a game again) I've been poking about the world of D&D Blogs. And aside from the usual crazies poking and prodding and playing pinata with the 3e hive, all I've really stumbled upon are blogs upon blogs of mechanical stuff.

Now, you may not know me from such roleplaying sessions as "Wait, What Did My Character Do?" and, "Man, I Want All The Beer In The World!", but you'll know that I'm the kind of guy that thrives off of fluff. I like mechanics to the degree that they're there, and they do the job they're supposed to do, but I'm not into the sort of crazy engine tinkering, reviewing, and kvetching I've seen most places do. And if they are going to talk fluff? It's all their personal campaigns that don't seem to get very far before they're dropped for whatever reason.

This is mostly the reason that I plan on running the two campaigngs I was outlining earlier entirely as six session affairs; anything more, I'll get bored and start clawing at the wallpaper.

Why such a dearth of fluff out there? Is it because there's more common ground when you're talking mechanics? Or do we really need the nth iteration of "Here's why 3e sucks when compared to 4e" or "here's how to make your players pay attention."

About the only one that I've stumbled upon is My Girlfriend's A GM, and that's because they do quick little blog entries about their campaigns and utilize tons of art to do so (and their banner is from the Shadowrun 4a core, and it's one of my favorite illustrations in gaming right now).

Is it really that hard to get a fluff / inspirational blog off the ground for gaming? I dunno.

Meanwhile, I'll just start filling my blog with all of the useless stuff I'll be writing for Project Fire or Water...

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
    edited September 2010
    I think the issue with psionics doesn't emerge until late paragon/epic where they have enough PP to basically augment2 every single power they have every single time they use it.

I'm unsure if this is fixed (and not entirely positive of the details)

Snowdown on