As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] Staff Fighter and Pyromancer essentials builds released on time!

• Options
    PsykmoePsykmoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm just sad whenever someone has to sit out cool powers like "Everyone gets a free action BA after their standard action" or "Basic attacks for everyone only take minor actions to do." Warlords get some bangin' dailies is what I'm saying :V Swordmages aren't alone in this, of course.

Psykmoe on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Psykmoe wrote: »
    I'm just sad whenever someone has to sit out cool powers like "Everyone gets a free action BA after their standard action" or "Basic attacks for everyone only take minor actions to do." Warlords get some bangin' dailies is what I'm saying :V Swordmages aren't alone in this, of course.

By the time the Warlord is handing out those powers, every party member should either have a use-as-BA At-Will or Melee Training. No real excuse not to when you have 12-13 feats.

Rius on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rius wrote: »

By the time the Warlord is handing out those powers, every party member should either have a use-as-BA At-Will or Melee Training. No real excuse not to when you have 12-13 feats.

Tell that to a caster with access to Arcane Power.

edit: unless we're talking about Melee AND Ranged basic attacks. All casters get a ranged at-will that work as ranged basic attacks.

Sipex on
  • Options
    PsykmoePsykmoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think the only ranged classes who don't get an at-will that is also a RBA are bards and shamans (shamans are ranged..right?) And they're leaders with some enabling options themselves. Also the Avenger is a melee class that gets a RBA at-will but no MBA at will. Unless something came out that's not in the CB yet.

Different question, do you guys ever have that problem where you wanna try out all sorts of classes or builds in combat, but in the roleplay situations you always kinda wish you were something specific? Like I totally would like to play some cool warforged fighter or warden or a Genasi taclord but in the end I'm not feeling happy if I can't rp a tiefling bullshit artist with diplomacy and bluff. I've not been playing for very long but a tiefling inspiring warlord I used in a short two-session oneshot was my favorite to rp by far, even if I didn't have a build that synergized too well with the group (or was just poorly made). Or maybe being in the second row with a pole-arm just wasn't my thing. But the rp parts were awesome fun.

So I'm considering doing another charisma tiefling warlord, grabbing Bluff through background and going Insightful. I like the idea of out of my turn interupt stuff, I think. Though I'd go Battlefront Leader and Armored Warlord for heavy shields and scale so I can be in front with the defender a bit better. And having both diplomacy and bluff will make me a decent party face, something I was surprised to find myself enjoying.

Psykmoe on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    An Avenger that takes a deity with the Skill domain can snag the Power of Skill feat and use Overwhelming Strike as an MBA. This is also fucking hilarious when considering OAs, as you'd get to lurch the dude a square away during his movement.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    There are assault swordmage powers that qualify as MBAs, but most of these queue off of using them as part of one's Aegis reaction and/or a charge.

Also Assault Swordmage's secondary stat is Strength so MBAs aren't a problem for them.

I actually built my Assault Swordmage low on Strength (10) in favour of CON, DEX, & CHA for defenses. Intelligent Blademaster solves MBA problems mind-you, so I wasn't giving up all that much.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Different question, do you guys ever have that problem where you wanna try out all sorts of classes or builds in combat, but in the roleplay situations you always kinda wish you were something specific? Like I totally would like to play some cool warforged fighter or warden or a Genasi taclord but in the end I'm not feeling happy if I can't rp a tiefling bullshit artist with diplomacy and bluff.

I'm personally of the opinion that you should be able to reskin whatever you're playing as whatever you want to play. (So you could play a Genasi, but roleplay as a Tiefling.) The game doesn't support this as well as I'd like, but talk to your DM about it.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I've just read the most mindboggling thing on RPG.net. It's a thread about some guy claiming he wants to like D&D, yet:
    I have a ton of issues with the whole of combat. I don't like how initiative works, I don't like how it feels like chess, I don't like how maneuvers other than attacks are handled. I don't like hit points. I don't like the flat distribution of rolls. I don't like task resolution. I don't like the advancement scheme and the reward cycle. I don't like how the mechanics and the fiction feel disconnected. Tons of other stuff. I want to learn to love the bomb.

I don't like the players' reliance on their character sheets. If they don't have something on the sheet that would help them in the situation, they feel lost. I must nudge them into figuring stuff out in the fiction.

I could run a game with the players having only the six stats, a name, some description of the character and a short list of gear. That would be my ideal way to play D&D.

So he's basically saying "I want to like D&D, but I hate absolutely everything about it". Oh, and he's actually talking about 3.5/Pathfinder, not 4E.

If you added something in there about hating pencils and paper, as well as an absolute repulsion to dice, minatures and battlemaps, I think you'd have a pretty good start to a hilarious D&D satire.

Bonus points if the guy refuses to use any dragons or dungeons in his game.

We're going to play D&D. But my homebrew luddite version with no maps, no minis, no dice, no books, no character sheets, no writing implements, no artificial lighting, and no furniture of any kind.

Other than that it's just like D&D.

Most important question ever.

Will there be free food?

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ......Punch and Pie.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    CounterspinCounterspin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Paunch and Pie

Counterspin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm only semi-kidding. I'll sit through almost anything if you feed me.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dortmunder wrote: »

I dunno. My reaction is mixed. I only bought PDFs... but it would really depend on the pricing for it (in addition to their heightened portability, they were cheaper. doesn't get better than that) If they end up charging the same as a physical book for the "luxury" of digital media... then it's meh. Speculation on top of speculation at this point, of course... but a concern. ;p

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would like PDFs, but yes, pricing would be a key piece of information.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It might be me, but does anyone else suspect that Enworld's server is powered by a hamster in a wheel? A very old and fat hamster?

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Turkson wrote: »
    It might be me, but does anyone else suspect that Enworld's server is powered by a hamster in a wheel? A very old and fat hamster?

I can't believe their server is so crappy considering they charge for premium forum membership. (Seriously, you can't even use the search function without paying.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the cesspit that is ENworld charges for their bullshit?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I read large parts of Heroes of the Fallen Lands in the bookstore today. I think it's great.

Now I kinda wish 4e launched with the Essentials product line.

For my upcoming Dark Sun game, I am going to have to introduce at least one totally new player to the game. If I had a better idea of how competitive the Essentials builds are with the PHB/* Power builds, I'd consider getting him to read HotFL instead of the PHB.

Hachface on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My new campaign Raiders of the Lost City is set in Dark Sun and one of the PCs plans to play a thief (though I think he is now changing to assassin). The main thing is that I have playtested my initial - pretty brutal - encounters and to be honest the thief performed extremely well. So while I can't really say much about the knight/slayer, the thief definitely seems to stack up. At least at low levels.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    My new campaign Raiders of the Lost City is set in Dark Sun and one of the PCs plans to play a thief (though I think he is now changing to assassin). The main thing is that I have playtested my initial - pretty brutal - encounters and to be honest the thief performed extremely well. So while I can't really say much about the knight/slayer, the thief definitely seems to stack up. At least at low levels.

That's good to know.
    If we get to higher levels and he starts to slouch, he can get a free rebuild. Or just start taking PHB rogue powers.

Hachface on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wonder if the Character Builder demo is gonna be updated to include Essentials stuff. Seems like it'd be a good idea.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Aegof wrote: »
    I wonder if the Character Builder demo is gonna be updated to include Essentials stuff. Seems like it'd be a good idea.

This pretty much guarantees it won't be implemented for several months.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aegof wrote: »

From what I understand the demo is just a version crippled to third level and below. If, I am attempting to say this with a straight face, they did that right it should just happen when the normal character generator is updated.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just picked up an iPhone for the first time. Any useful D&D apps you guys use other than the infinity of dice rollers out there? I can see the utility but I feel that virtualising my dice at the tabletop would be removing a bit of the fun.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RatherDashingRatherDashing Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just picked up an iPhone for the first time. Any useful D&D apps you guys use other than the infinity of dice rollers out there? I can see the utility but I feel that virtualising my dice at the tabletop would be removing a bit of the fun.

There's an app called i4e, which I pretty much use as a character sheet now. You can load files into it from the Character Builder(although you have to go fill out the powers, they import blank), but pretty much everything else comes right across.

It keeps track of HP, Temp HP, Surges, Power Uses(it even won't let you use say, a daily item power, if you already used your one for the day). It's really an awesome program, the only real drawback is it can take a bit of time to get all your powers set up, if you want them to display properly.

RatherDashing on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just picked up Heroes of the Fallen Lands. Pretty cool so far.

Initial impression, though; WotC: HAHAHA! Fuck you, Humans!

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Why do you say that?

Rius on
  • Options
    ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can't wait to start the second part of my adventure tonight. I feel totally more prepared.

Anyone got a direct - as in, doesn't link to the page, but the file itself - link to the first PA / PVP adventure, when they're in KotS, third episode? Apparently my link doesn't work any more and I'm behind a work filter.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Why do you say that?
    Resilient Focus just obsoleted basically the only useful human Racial feat besides Action Surge: Human Resolve.

Now everyone can have a +2 to all saves, whereas it used to be highly situational or humans with just a +1.

There are quite a few feats in here that are basically democratizations of class or source specific feats as well, but nothing else that I'm seeing that directly steps on racial toes like that.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    They're also giving away First Strike left and right now. You used to have to really work for it.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Is that all? Man, it's not like Humans can't take that feat either.

As for stepping on Racial toes, Improved Defenses is a flat upgrade to the Tiefling +1 Fort +1 Will feat, and they're not complaining.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Is that all? Man, it's not like Humans can't take that feat either.

As for stepping on Racial toes, Improved Defenses is a flat upgrade to the Tiefling +1 Fort +1 Will feat, and they're not complaining.
    Yeah, but tieflings have [STRIKE]almost 50[/STRIKE] over 80 racial feats. Humans have what, maybe 30? Most of which seem to involve granting someone combat advantage to do something marginally useful at best.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ravensmuse wrote: »
    Can't wait to start the second part of my adventure tonight. I feel totally more prepared.

Anyone got a direct - as in, doesn't link to the page, but the file itself - link to the first PA / PVP adventure, when they're in KotS, third episode? Apparently my link doesn't work any more and I'm behind a work filter.

This one?

http://media.wizards.com/podcasts/DnD_PA_Episode3.mp3

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    To be fair, a single character gets, what, 15 feats at the end of a 30 level life? So it's not too big of a deal. Just pick the race you like or the one which has the feats you like.

This is D&D anyways, it's hard to find someone who will play a human (out of all the people I play with, I'm the only one who ever chooses human simply because 'human is boring')

Sipex on
  • Options
    ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yes! Thank you Zed.

Oh, to throw back to that terrible rpg.net post: I can't remember who said it on that site (might have been Cesna? One of the mods) said that look: you're not going to be able to enjoy every single thing within the rpg sphere. Somethings you will always bang your head against. So why beat your head against a wall trying to like something you're never going to like, when there's so many other options out there you don't have to?

At some point you have to realize that things just aren't for you. Unfortunately, there are segments - large ones - of the population at rpg.net that just don't get that.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • Options
    Owen EdwardsOwen Edwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    RPG.net can be a complete cesspool.

I like human characters in most games - DnD is one of the less attractive places to play them, but then I think...bonus at-will. NICE. I prefer dilettante for flavour, but the bonus crunch is good fun.

My DS campaign here has quite a few humans.

Owen Edwards on
  • Options
    MrBeensMrBeens Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

There's an app called i4e, which I pretty much use as a character sheet now. You can load files into it from the Character Builder(although you have to go fill out the powers, they import blank), but pretty much everything else comes right across.

It keeps track of HP, Temp HP, Surges, Power Uses(it even won't let you use say, a daily item power, if you already used your one for the day). It's really an awesome program, the only real drawback is it can take a bit of time to get all your powers set up, if you want them to display properly.

It's not really an app though, its a website that is optimised for use on the iphone. It's fine if you have permanent data access.

MrBeens on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    RPG.net can be a complete cesspool.

I like human characters in most games - DnD is one of the less attractive places to play them, but then I think...bonus at-will. NICE. I prefer dilettante for flavour, but the bonus crunch is good fun.

My DS campaign here has quite a few humans.

Oh yeah, they're definitely appealing, no contest there. I just have a hard time finding players who don't want to try a more 'unique' race.

(I say 'unique' because whenever one of my players asks how to be unique I tell them to play a human.)

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I do appreciate that there's now a generalized expertise feat that doesn't cost 2 feats to qualify for.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I do not like no 9/21/2010 CB update, after being told there would be one.

My whole body is sad.

Pinfeldorf on