As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Giving up BYOC slot to anyone that REALLY wants it.

liquidchaosliquidchaos Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
So my liquid cooled rig, which I wanted to show off at the BYOC event, had motherboard problems.

Utterly depressed, major bummer and all.

I am giving away my slot to the right person.

But first, some context.

My rigs name is LilithZ, she has 1/4" coolant tubes that glow in a red UV haze. She has a 920 CoreI7, 12GB of RAM and 10TB of disk space. She has waterblocks in her CPU, north and south bridge, as well as a reservoir that looks like HAL 9000 'headpiece', except with a liquid surface that glows in UV. She also has one of those rare GTX295 evga cards that are no longer on sale (funny how this video card actually gained value over time). She rides in red, black and silver, on a HAF mid tower case. Half of her parts are German.

She ain't just a pretty face, she's also very eloquent. As a programmer, I have strained her L2 cache in numerous optimization experiments. She's also dabbled in CUDA processing. She loves Multicore programming, in POSIX and IntelTBB (although she excludes Java threads. ugh.) She has compiled most of my undergraduate career projects, in Linux, iOS, CellOS and Win32/64/7. She never takes more than 15 seconds to compile, even with the biggest source trunks.

She likes StarCraft2, and makes Crysis scream like a squee-ful school girl. Bloom/HDR/AmbientOcclusion are mere playthings for her, as she can run maxed out specs at 60FPS, without even breaking 55Celsius.

She didn't start off all this pretty, far from it. She's a working girl of course. Collecting all these components took me about a year, and a lot of extra hours on the grind.

She really wanted to impress everyone, unfortunately her mobo will not post past FF.

She is spending time in EVGAs RMA repair center, while I enjoy PAX.

She will not forgive me.

I expect her to crash Visual Studio, feverishly, once I get back to work next week. She's that kind of rig; vengeful and pretty. She is very hard to please.

So, now you can understand my predicament. I have a BYOC slot that used to belong to my beautiful rig.

I can't be a d-bag and just let this slot go away. This should go to another rig who wants to be there.

If you think you deserve this BYOC slot, FREE OF CHARGE, please tell me about your system, in one paragraph. Pictures would be nice. I will check back on this thread every half hour.

liquidchaos on

• TizzleFizzleTizzleFizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Any other day and I would jump on this offer immediately, but my computer as well just had its motherboard asplode.

Good luck with this, and hopefully someone who deserves the slot will get it.

TizzleFizzle on
  • thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have a laptop... nay, a crap-top.
    I sure hope you find someone, but that someone is definately not me.

thespiffyneostar on
  • liquidchaosliquidchaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks yall. Keep in mind that I ain't looking for a 'pretty rig' to replace my slot, I'm just looking for someone who wants to be there, and has a story for it. :)

liquidchaos on
  • HEUGEHEUGE Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I don't have a monster rig right now, but I will be attending PAX and bringing my Alienware M15x with i7, SSD, GTX 260M and a excessively red case. While she could stand to lose a few lbs, she's a sexy powerhouse that spends more of her days toiling away in Excel, Access and Photoshop. On certain occasions she gets an evening off, and she can power through some Torchlight, Alien Swarm and TF2. I'm pretty sure that given the right protection she will enjoy gaming with the 1000 other PC's on the LAN, but since I was too late to buy a spot for her, she'll be antisocial and living in the backpack. So, liquidchaos, you're her only hope. :)

HEUGE on
  • SoularisSoularis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So... I had originally planed on buying a byoc pass but 3 day passes sold out the day before i got paid and i was forced to buy 3 single day passes and didnt have enough cash to afford the byoc on top of all that.

I have done byoc once before way back in 2007 and it was amazing!

this is the PC i took last time
    l_6f246fa23f6a4404bd58c8e637e9ccf3.jpgl_a7cad00bf4054f33a3a3654c769dc1f8.jpg

she's about 5 years old now but still running good, she managed to run SC just fine but tends to have some issues with some of the higher end graphic games like singularity and prototype...

She is still my main PC but i was hoping to bring my brother's laptop instead this year. its a brand new asus laptop with 4 gigs of ram and does alright for games too!

I often sneak out of the house with her to steal internet from ppl arund my house >.>

PS: I REALLY want it! ~_^

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have a relatively new M11x. She's treated me well but for 1 Dr.'s visit, to replace a bad hinge. She's running a Core2 Duo and the Binary State nVidea graphics card.
    I want the byoc pass. I've been in BYOC since '06, even at east, but I completely forgot to sign up for this year's and didn't remember till after registration for it had closed. I love getting the chance to sit down, and I REALLY love the chance to annoy Red.
    This is the first year that I'll actually have a laptop that can handle the more recent games. Prior to this, my laptop has been... trashy. I'm excited for the opportunity.

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
    edited August 2010
    So my liquid cooled rig, which I wanted to show off at the BYOC event, had motherboard problems.

But first, some context.

My rigs name is LilithZ, she has 1/4" coolant tubes that glow in a red UV haze. She has a 920 CoreI7, 12GB of RAM and 10TB of disk space. She has waterblocks in her CPU, north and south bridge, as well as a reservoir that looks like HAL 9000 'headpiece', except with a liquid surface that glows in UV. She also has one of those rare GTX295 evga cards that are no longer on sale (funny how this video card actually gained value over time). She rides in red, black and silver, on a HAF mid tower case. Half of her parts are German.

She ain't just a pretty face, she's also very eloquent. As a programmer, I have strained her L2 cache in numerous optimization experiments. She's also dabbled in CUDA processing. She loves Multicore programming, in POSIX and IntelTBB (although she excludes Java threads. ugh.) She has compiled most of my undergraduate career projects, in Linux, iOS, CellOS and Win32/64/7. She never takes more than 15 seconds to compile, even with the biggest source trunks.

She likes StarCraft2, and makes Crysis scream like a squee-ful school girl. Bloom/HDR/AmbientOcclusion are mere playthings for her, as she can run maxed out specs at 60FPS, without even breaking 55Celsius.

She didn't start off all this pretty, far from it. She's a working girl of course. Collecting all these components took me about a year, and a lot of extra hours on the grind.

She really wanted to impress everyone, unfortunately her mobo will not post past FF.

She will not forgive me.

I expect her to crash Visual Studio, feverishly, once I get back to work next week. She's that kind of rig; vengeful and pretty. She is very hard to please.

So, now you can understand my predicament. I have a BYOC slot that used to belong to my beautiful rig.

I can't be a d-bag and just let this slot go away. This should go to another rig who wants to be there.

If you think you deserve this BYOC slot, FREE OF CHARGE, please tell me about your system, in one paragraph. Pictures would be nice. I will check back on this thread every half hour.

Also that rig sounds hella sweet, did you have some photos?

Also liked the HAL reference. I had that windows gadget that was the HAL eye and when you clicked it it would play audio clips from the movie!

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • thetelevisi0nthetelevisi0n Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My computer… oh what do I have to say about you.

You’re one loud mofo with 4 case fans that could probably power a windmill….or at least a pinwheel. You failed to OC for me. Even after I begged and bought you a shiny new cooler for your cpu. The holes in your case are horribly placed, so I had to take a drill to your body. Even then, some of your case wires were too short and so I sliced them open and resoldered them to longer wires.
    puter.jpg

Then your heart failed. I should’ve been able to read the signs. Blue screens of death, video card driver failure, and random black screens but no, I ignored your cries until your heart burst. Now I’ve found you a replacement. It’s not as powerful and can’t pump as much juice. And I admit, I was sloppy with the wiring so you don’t get to enjoy the same old breeze.

I don’t hate you but you are really high maintenance. And the only reason I love you more than your older sibling is because you’re still alive.
    newp.jpg

(Q6600, 4GB RAM, ATi RADeon HD4850, Audigy 2 ZS)

thetelevisi0n on
    edited August 2010
    Soularis wrote: »

But first, some context.

She will not forgive me.

Also liked the HAL reference. I had that windows gadget that was the HAL eye and when you clicked it it would play audio clips from the movie!

This was her before the liquid cooling modules.
    ztulm.jpg

liquidchaos on
    edited August 2010
    Soularis wrote: »

But first, some context.

She will not forgive me.

This was her before the liquid cooling modules.
    ztulm.jpg

She rides in this case.
    W3pSk.jpg

Unfortunately, I have a strict rule not to photograph builds that don't post past boot. I just added the liquid cooling tubes recently, and scrapped back when I had to RMA <_<;

liquidchaos on
    edited August 2010
    I'll be making a decision today, before 420 PM PST.

Person who gets my slot will receive a PM + contact info.

liquidchaos on
    edited August 2010

She rides in this case.
    W3pSk.jpg

Unfortunately, I have a strict rule not to photograph builds that don't post past boot. I just added the liquid cooling tubes recently, and scrapped back when I had to RMA <_<;

Maybe i have some sorta dragon or leprechaun blood in me cause i am for some reason very attracted to the gold feet on that case... >.>

too bad you didn't get some install photos with the cooling tubes, that woulda been cool.

Kinda surprised you didnt get more posts here, but then again BYOC registration didn't even sell out this year so i guess you were pandering to the poor and forgetful >.>

Anywho looking forward to your announcement!

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I told the guy at our favorite computer shop that I wanted color changing LEDs in my computer and he looked at me like I was nuts. Asked me why I wanted a rave in my computer... Better question would be WHY WOULDNT I?

I'm sorry your comp is being PMSie.. Happens to the coolest of things always at the worst of times.

Sarahstrasza on
    edited August 2010
    Did i WIN?! *hits refresh again*

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for all the replies. I've given the slot away.

liquidchaos on
This discussion has been closed.