As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I want to buy my first gun....

KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I am about to turn 18 and I want to make my first gun purchase. I live in california and I want it to be possibly for both hunting/protection (if possible). I don't have a huge budget, but I wonder if anyone has some advice/good links to find out more about purchasing a gun.

Katholic on

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There is a thread JUST like this right down the page.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would do some research. My first gun was an AK-47 and I don't recommend it. In fact I made a thread on here about the same thing and everyone told me not to buy it. Well I didn't listen. It isn't a bad weapon especially if you get a good make but for the first purchase it just isn't practical. I can shoot it fairly well and I have it heavily modified but I don't get to use it much and I don't clean it enough.

Shogun on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm no expert on guns but if you want to go hunting then you will have to get one suitable for whatever it is you are after. One thing I have heard is that it is a good idea to start out with a .22 rifle since it and the ammo are cheap. That way you can shoot it a lot and really learn to shoot.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I suggest learning about how to operate/fire/maintain and clean a gun before you ever buy one

and safety should be your number 1 concern, above all else

a cheap gun would be a .22 rifle or pistol. The ammo is dirt cheap and it's simple enough to learn how to operate over a short period of time.

seriously though, if you don't know how to maintain and clean, safetly use etc a gun, it's going to malfunction and possibly injure someone you care deeply about

Raneados on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Hunting what?

I would advise getting a .22 rifle and signing up for a safety course to go along with it as your first firearm. As you get used to that, you will be able to better learn about what would be right for your needs/wants.

Doc on
  • Options
    ddahcmaiddahcmai Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I strongly recommend a .22 as a first gun. They're cheap to buy and cheap to shoot, and you get to learn a lot about shooting, safety, and cleaning/maintenance on a gun that won't break the bank if you somehow seriously mess it up through negligence. Also, have you taken any firearms education or hunter safety courses? Those will teach you a lot about the basics of shooting, and also, since CA is a pretty rough state to own firearms in, I'm going to guess you'll probably have to take one anyways in order to get a license (I live in MA, it's rough here too.) Overall, worry about hunting/home defense (aka "bigger" guns) after you're comfortable with a .22; it really is the best way to go.

ddahcmai on
  • Options
    TheFallenLordTheFallenLord Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Getting a .22 as a starter gun is really good advice. If you're looking for brand advice, everybody *loves* the Ruger 10/22 (semi-auto .22). Savage also makes good, inexpensive .22s.

A lot of people recommend a bolt action over a semi-auto for a first gun too. Something to keep in mind.

TheFallenLord on
  • Options
    RetoxRetox Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just here to agree with everyone else. A .22 rifle is cheap and cheap to shoot. I'd recomend a bolt action as it makes you slow down and think about what you're doing. Back when I used to shoot rifles more I always shot better with my bolt action than a semi.

Retox on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Getting a .22 as a starter gun is really good advice. If you're looking for brand advice, everybody *loves* the Ruger 10/22 (semi-auto .22). Savage also makes good, inexpensive .22s.

A lot of people recommend a bolt action over a semi-auto for a first gun too. Something to keep in mind.

Can vouch deeply for the Ruger .22 pistol. Got it for christmas, very classy and easy to use pistol. Plinking has never been as fun.

precisionk on
  • Options
    Marcus BrodyMarcus Brody Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Retox wrote:
    Just here to agree with everyone else. A .22 rifle is cheap and cheap to shoot. I'd recomend a bolt action as it makes you slow down and think about what you're doing. Back when I used to shoot rifles more I always shot better with my bolt action than a semi.

I'll second that, for the additional reasons that bolt-action rifles are typically more accurate and easier to clean -- not that cleaning is a huge concern with a .22, but you should use your first gun as a platform for building good maintainence skills, as well as good safety skills. Plus, as several people have mentioned, with a decent scope (or not, depending on your preference/skill), a good .22 rifle will be great for small game hunting.

A .22 will not be good for personal protection, but that honestly shouldn't be your concern when buying a first gun. If you haven't shot much before, you won't have the skills or discipline to use a firearm effectively in a defensive situation. It will, however, be cheap to shoot and maintain, and will help you build good safety and cleaning habits that will make the transition to a larger caliber weapon much smoother and safer.

Marcus Brody on
  • Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I couldn't agree more with the folks who recommend a solid .22 as your first firearm.

It is just a sensible choice. Its cheap, fun, ammo is cheap, less daunting to clean than a more complicated or larger caliber weapon.

I agree heartily as well, that if you've never owned your own fire arm, you shouldn't be basing your first purchase on home defense. Learn gun safety, cleaning and maintaining practices, storage. All that good stuff

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    oneeyedjack909oneeyedjack909 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Actually I'd go with a Mini-14 its basically, as the name suggests, a miniature version of the M-14 however it still maintains the feel of a full sized rifle. It's semi-automatic and fires a .223 caliber bulllet as opposed to its big brother the M-14 that fires a .308. .223 cartiges are cheap, have more range and are fun to shoot also there are a lot of modifications you can do to an mini and truly customize your shooting experiance. The down side is any thing bigger than a coyote can't be leagally harvested (thats hunted for the rest of you) with a .223. (they are also pretty cheep. If you dont like it an sks is very similar. Go to any gun store and you should be able to find these guns)

As for a good hunting rifle look for anything from Winchester, Remington or Ruger. They make some pretty good rifles. If you can get a hold of a Mauser or Springfield 30-06 then your golden. Those rifles will basically bring anything from a prong-horned antelope to a caribou down.

As far as calibers to look for try to find any thing from a .270 to a .308 any thing bigger and your a long range sniper, or shooting water buffalo.

For home defense I'd look at an m-4 carbine (the civilian style)a shotgun or a pistol. Your mini-14 will do the job just fine but a pistol is better for close range and won't splatter bad-guy all over hell and creation like a shot gun. I'd look at Berreta or springfield for good quality pistols. As for shotguns just about anythig will do but Berreta makes one bitchin auto loder (thats a semi auto shotgun)

oneeyedjack909 on
    "A mans first duty is to his conscience and honor"- Mark Twain

"Those who are willing to give up essential liberties for a little safety diserve neither liberty nor safety"-Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My first rifle was a Mosin Nagant M91/30. It shoots 7.62x54 rounds, which are pretty inexpensive and quite powerful. I won't recommend this to a person who's just starting out (I had fired tons and tons of firearms prior to purchase).

As you are 18, you cannot yet legally purchase a handgun in the US. Only rifles and shotguns. So I'm going to get on the bandwagon here and say look at a .22 bolt action. They're simple, effective, cheap and easy to maintain. If you want a shotgun, look at .410s. They're a good bit smaller in cartridge size and also inexpensive. Great starter shotguns. Then once you've got a good grip on the safety, maintenance and care for firearms you can start looking at larger caliber, more powerful weapons.

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The great thing about an accurate bolt action .22 is that it will teach you to shoot well

When I was in high school I did this junior rifle team thing. Basically, they had these .22 competition rifles. Huge wooden stocks, 1 round bolt action, peephole sites. The shots were something like 75 yards on targets of a similar diameter to a coke can. In a few hundred rounds I went from not being able to put 5 shots on a target, to being able to put 5 on top of each other while prone.

When you're measuring in centimeters instead of inches, learning things like trigger control and breathing becomes really clear.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As far as calibers to look for try to find any thing from a .270 to a .308 any thing bigger and your a long range sniper, or shooting water buffalo.

What gun would you guys suggest for that? Im thinking of getting something for very long range target shooting.

Grimm on
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Grimm wrote:

What gun would you guys suggest for that? Im thinking of getting something for very long range target shooting.

Would you be interested in Military Surplus rifles? (Mostly WWII rifles)

I'd suggest a Mosin Nagant.
    They're simple, extremely reliable, and can be very accurate. The only downside is that it uses 7.62 rounds and they can be a little pricey, depending on quality. They also will kick your shoulder's ass.

Here's a cool vid of one.

I've seen people hit targets upwards of 450 yards with them.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bearcat wrote:
    Grimm wrote:

Would you be interested in Military Surplus rifles? (Mostly WWII rifles)

I'd suggest a Mosin Nagant.
    They're simple, extremely reliable, and can be very accurate. The only downside is that it uses 7.62 rounds and they can be a little pricey, depending on quality.

Well i was thinking of something a bit more modern, but i'll check out what you suggested.

Grimm on